Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Wild Woods for Men by Coty

Worn to be wild! – That’s what the box says… Wild Woods for Men is an uncomplicated and unassuming wood fragrance is not very exciting but is definitely competent for what it purports to be. The box says that it is a “…mixture of exotic cedar, sandalwood, and musk,” which, except for the word “exotic,” is an adequate description. Its woods are pleasant, aromatic and, if they are synthetic, it’s a pleasant syntheticness. Because of its strong aromatic-like ambiance, I can’t decide if it’s synthetic, but there seems to be a bit of unnaturalness in its construction. I don’t really smell the musk that is supposed to in it, but that is not unusual for me when I meet strong woodnotes. It’s a genuine cologne so it doesn’t last very long… its lack of longevity is even shorter than its sibling, Wild Spice, but I don’t see that as a problem, sometimes I want a nice scent that doesn’t last more than a couple of hours. I don’t love it, but I like it and its price makes it a thumbs up.

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

A simpler, modernized, but still viable version of the famed Polo Green… The resinousness of the original is reduced and so is the leather and heavier herbs like thyme, which makes for a much cleaner, less ponderous presence. It is still green but I think it is less coniferous and more airy. That strong presence of the original that wafted through the halls of the school thirty years ago hasn’t disappeared… it’s just been beautifully reinterpreted and it is unquestionably worthy to reside in the bottle of the original Polo. The green of Modern Reserve is an herbal green – primarily basil tempered by a sharpness-reducing cardamom. There is still a tiny bit too much leather for me, but not enough to keep me from buying a bottle. The softening floral element has been reduced to just a rather abstract jasmine note, and since jasmine is my favorite floral note, you won’t hear me complaining at the simplification. The (possibly dated) quality of the geranium has been removed and the base is a simplified, clear, and long lasting cedar and patchouli with a minimum of soft suede leather. I like this better the original. I had an at-a-distince admiration for the original although I never purchased it because the leather note was a bit too much for me. One sniff of Polo Modern Reserve and I laid down the cash and fulfilled a three-decade desire. I’ve worn Modern Reserve many times and I’m still as pleased as I can be – after all these years I can now wear a version of Polo Green.

Hoppity's avatar

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

This is appalling - sweet, sickly and headache inducing. I'm sure I tried this in the early eighties and liked it. Now all I can smell in it is carnation - always unpleasant in too high a ratio.

JaimeB's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Cascarilla bark comes from a plant native to the West Indies, Croton eleuteria. Cascarilla bark is (among other things) used to flavor the liquors Campari and Vermouth. Maybe that's why it makes me think of Negronis (minus the gin, of course). But at least part of the magic in Feuilles de Tabac comes from the weird triangle of sage, coumarin, and tobacco leaf. Tonka bean (the coumarin note in this) is usually found in fougères, which this definitely isn't. The patchouli rounding this out into a kind of woody-oriental vibe doesn't make sense either. Even so, all in all, this is one of the best and most novel tobacco scents out there. It deserves to be better known. I don't wear it enough, but that's got to change.

Naitch's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

What an underappreciated cologne this is. This has all the components of what makes a great fragrance. First it is a true 3 layered fragrance, with a beginning, middle and end. Each distinct and very nice. I like the opening of the green apple, the "musk in the middle" and the woods at the end.

Second the longevity is notches above the newer generic colognes that are gone in an hour or two. After spraying at 9 in the morning, I could stilll get a good whiff at 3 in the afternoon. By 5 it was a "close to the skin" trace but to get 5 or 6 hours is all you can expect from any cologne. Spraying on and under the shirt was a good help if you want just a little whiff after the day is over. The fragrance is effective but not toxic, light enough you'd really have to pour the bottle on yourself to turn it against you. 4 to 6 sprays all over will do.

I should mention that like a lot of others I got immediate compliments on this. As much as I love some of my others like YSL L'Homme & CPM, only 1 compliment. Both of course seem to just last 2 to 3 hours tops, if that sometimes.

In a way I hope this stays a well kept secret that develops a cult following, of course selling enough it stays in production.

For the record the notes are:
    Green apple accord, amber, black patchouli, warm woods.

07 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2010)

nvrlnd's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This might be just be a horrible reaction to my skin chemistry, but to me Terre D'Hermes smells of three things:

- red dirt with heavy clay content
    - tomatoes, on the vine
    - stewed tomatoes in a can (with that metallic / minearlic tinge, maybe from the "flint" notes)

Now i'm pretty sure "tomato" isn't in their pyramid of notes, so I'm guessing this is the "pepper" notes hitting my nose horrifically wrong. And I get no citrus in this whatsoever, no amber, no vetiver. It's just clay, tomatoes, and a faint metallic tinge. As you might guess, I find this completely revolting. Albeit it has tempted me to rub some garlic on my other wrist and hang out in Gilroy, CA.

coastfansocal's avatar

Acqua Fiorentina by Creed

Smells a lot like the "Scent of Peace" from Bond 9 and "Light Blue" for women by Dolce and Gabbana

Aaron01's avatar

Bois Rouge by Tom Ford

Opens with a crisp citrus accord (bergamot?) and then dries down into a base of cedar, sandalwood and patchouli sweetened by some vanilla, a little amber and to my nose maybe even a little cinnamon.

Unfortunately this scent stays fairly close to the skin, not unlike some of its brothers from the Private Blend. It certainly doesn't project in the same fashion as something like Tobacco Vanille does.

It is however a very gentelmanly scent, in the same vein as Guerlain's Heritage (EdT), Habit Rouge (EdP ), or Creed's Bois du Portugal. However I'm not sure I prefer it over them.

I hesitated to give it a thumbs up, since projection and sillage are such large factors with scents, especially with this kind of price tag.

BoB's avatar

Thailand Thailand

A Scent by Issey Miyake

A very modern and wearable version of Eau de Campagne. I found that Eau de Campagne was way too green and raw for my taste.
    Love the bottle sooooo much.....

lovinit's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

One of my favorites scents in my wardrobe. Samurai swirling away at words with his sumi ink? Definately! I have some serious beef with the previous comments coming from the ladies where they say that they could not believe a man to sport this cologne. I think that is absolutely ridiculious. In fact, I feel the exact opposite. To me, although this scent does not stomp the ground while proclaiming, "I AM MAN!" it is none the less extremely masculine and should not be worn by any female no matter how short her hair is....ever.

lovinit's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I remember when i first caught a whiff(sp) of this on someone in school (some years ago) I was like, "I gotta get that!", and now I'm not too sure about this one. This smells like mint scented baby powder that has been mixed with water to an almost muddy plaster like texture and then left out, uncovered, at room temperature. With that said I cant suggest that the fragrance is as horrible as my description my appear, however, its just not that interesting. On me, Im not too fond of the longevity

dimplesg's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

One of my favourite perfumes - I own the edt and edp. I think its a 'feel good' perfume I always feel good & happy when I wear it. I think its suitable for the office as well as evenings out. Its expensive but definitely worth it in my eyes. The best chanel perfume by far!

dimplesg's avatar

Chance by Chanel

Yes I agree with the above. A very safe perfume. Perfect for the office. A definite Spring/Summer Scent. Very expensive as all chanel scents are but they do have lasting power.

Black Suede by Avon

Indeed a cheapo Kourosesque vibe just 30 minutes or so for the impatient. Overall softer and if lightly applied achieves a level of OK, but don't strive here for any mythic greatness with an increase in dosage. Too easily moves into sensual BO...to complete our theme.

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

Proof that hell begins on earth. A "presentational" approach to scent for those who like their notes in big print before they go into the blender: clumsy fruit, clumsy vanilla, and clumsy spice at the grave site. For those who believe queasy equals sexy.

Wild Country by Avon

Bang for your buck barbershop maybe more modern now because it's sweeter and more defined. Hey, don't most fougeres smell a littte cheap? Go Wild, yet go lightly.

Avon's best scent for men after all these years, not counting any discontinueds...

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Dry orange. Dry dirt. What seems to inhabit this minimal landscape the most is hype and the fertile imagination of the wearer. Proof that less is not simply more but something like a mirage. Just keep saying "Jean Claude Ellena."

Asha's avatar

Iris Pallida 2007 by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Iris Pallida (EDP, limited edition)

Notes: Iris, lily of the valley, violet leaf, orange blossom, rose, aniseed, patchouli, cedar, vetiver, ambrette seed, white musk, guaiac wood (from luckyscent.com)

In my first spray of Iris Pallida, immediately apparent are anise, pepper, iris root and violet leaf. The iris root is of the moist, carroty variety, although it does not have the typical cold and clammy quality that I sometimes smell in iris scents that are very rooty. The anise and violet are marvelous counterpoints as they seem to simultaneously warm and freshen the doughy aspects of the iris root. Later in the development, IP becomes much soapier. In fact, when combined with the iris and violet, the soapy note seems to launch IP into the space that lies between Prada Infusion d'Iris and Dior Homme EDT. If I could remove the lipstick note from Dior Homme, but keep the woody, herbal tones, and inject some lovely floral, soapy softness from Infusion d'Iris, I feel that I would arrive at Iris Pallida. Considering I enjoy Infusion d'Iris and Dior Homme a great deal, I find Iris Pallida quite lovely as well. Sillage and longevity are moderate, the arrival time to skin scent being around 5 to 6 hours. The deep drydown is comprised of creamy woods and light musk. Overall, an excellent choice for men or women, and worth testing by anybody who wants an alternative to mainstream designer iris fragrances.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

This review is for the EDT version: mildly spicy, ambery and creamy woods...not too loud, but beautiful and subtle with just the right amount of sweetness. When I first applied it, it smelled vaguely familiar to me, then I realized that it is very similar in tone to L'Instant de Guerlain as both have dominating notes of magnolia, amber and vanilla. The EDT doesnt have geat silliage and lays close to the skin as it goes into a warm, buttery drydown. I like it enough that I will be looking for it in EDP or parfum strength. It's a "feminine" fragrance, but the right self-assured man could really pull this off...he'd have to beat the women off with a stick.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Crêpe de Chine by Long Lost Perfume

This review is for VINTAGE Crepe de Chine extrait. I had heard about this scent for years, but had never had the opportunity to smell it until I acquired a 1/2 oz bottle of it several weeks ago. Categorized as a "green chypre", it has no fruity notes listed, yet it has a strange but wonderful opening that smells something like a vintage take on a fruity floral with a green edge...must be the aldehydes and what seems to be a note of galbanum.Very hard to describe, in a good way. After about five minutes it starts to turn a little more creamy and floral as a nice leather note starts lurking underneath. As it dries down, the leathery-ness becomes more prnounced with the florals wafting in and out. As a lover of leather scents, I was pleasantly surprised since I wasn't expecting to encounter that note in this scent. Whoo-hoo!...I'm one happy girl.

The Irma Shorell website lists the notes in the remake as follows:

Crepe de Chine perfume has top notes of nerolie, Italian bergamot, Egyptian basil, oil of Peru and fresh aldehydes. Middle notes of gardenia, ylang ylang, carnation, lilac, otto of rose, Romanian chamimille and Egyptian jasmine. Dry down notes of sandalwood, East Indian musk, oakmoss, vanilla, vetiver, benzoin and Indonesian patchouli.

I haven't experienced the remake, and judging from Mehitable's review, I don't think I'll need to.

bbBD's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica by Guerlain

A perfectly simple, pleasant linear rose fragrance with a light, 'green' background. Longevity and sillage are as expected (reasonable, not outrageous). If I come across an inexpensive bottle or swap I'd seriously consider a purchase. Being on a rose kick lately, I would compare this to another simple rose, Czech & Speake Rose. The C&S is stronger with nearly double the longevity, but it's also close to triple the price. Both present a high-quality yet simple rose that showcases the note without hitting you over the head with it.

stylerico's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Barber shop at its BEST. Its what I would expect a mens barber shoppe to smell!!! If you take mens Pinaud Aftershave strip it of the alcohol and replace it with bergamot, cardamom, neroli, geranium, orange blossom, leather, patchouli, sandalwood, myrrh, nirvanolide musk, vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, saffron, labdanum, mandarin. This juice is incredible. The scent dries down and stays with you for hours. If you really draw back you find the amber appeal. This is very smooth and clean.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

It is very alike to Davidoff's Zino, a strong oriental and spicy fragrance with heavy tobacco notes. It has good sillage but por longevity, at least on my skin.

It comes to my attention most reviewers describe it as "black". I don't know the reasons for this, but I asumme it must be the way the bottle is like.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Gold Man by Amouage

My first impression was to ask myself if this was a masculine scent. Then, I recalled the same feeling when smelling Chanel Nº 5. Afterwards, I thought about who might be the ones liking it. And after three months of considerations, I decided to give it a full trial.

It felt uncomfortable at first, flowers and aldehydes made me feel as if I were wearing an "old ladies scent", and as a matter of fact, my wife told me it felt "old". But after minutes it proved a very nice scent, I enjoyed a lot the whiffs of musky and powdery notes. Thus, IMHO, it is to be worn with care, more than one spritz on the chest will probably make everybody around the wearer aware that he is using a strong scent, thus generating much attention.

Include comments done by other reviewers so far and add the facts I described to its cost and the conclusion is obvious, Amouage Gold for Men is a "love it or hate it fragrance". In my case, I have the strong suspicion that Chanel Nº 5 delivers the same feeling that Amouage Gold for Men does, but I reserve these comments to the future for I have to test Chanel's most famous scent.

07 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 October, 2009)

theduchess48124's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

This is a warm, rose-infused incense perfume. It avoids the very dry feeling of Comme de Garconnes' Avignon, but still invokes the note of olibanum or frankincense very well. The opening is sparkling lemon and slightly peppery. To me rose is the predominant floral in the midrange, but a rather dusky, spicy rose, combined with the resinous frankincense accord. The base is very warm and sweet, but not cloying; the entire scent is really very seamless and rounded.
    This scent is not loud but it is long lasting. Just all-around wonderful!

AnnS's avatar

Theorema by Fendi

Theorema is the most chic, sophisticated, almost restrained and yet sensual oriental. It is a gorgeous composition of orange, vanilla, spices and woods. I primarily get the rich and warm woods on my skin paired with the lighter and slightly sweet orange-vanilla accord. The opening is lush and warm, and the dry down is very sensual and stays close to the skin. Theorema is a very confident, intelligent oriental, absolutely wonderful stuff that is just as fitting to the board room as an elegant black tie affair. It speaks to the person wearing it very much. I say "person" as I think that a man could easily wear Theorema too - it is so well blended, classy and warm. There is nothing showy about Theorema - it is very self-possessed. There is nothing silly about this composition. Find it where you can and wear it with lots of pleasure. Anyone who enjoys the boisterous Badgley Mischka, the exuberant Mauboussin, the sensual orange of Fath de Fath, the woody-vanilla Organza Indecence, or the extreme drydown of the sensual DK Chaos would enjoy Theorema from top to bottom.

AnnS's avatar

Amazone (original) by Hermès

Amazone is really classy stuff! It smells like Givenchy III, Chanel No 19, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Lancome's Climat, Guerlain's Chamade and PdN's Temps d'Une Fete all got together, decided to combine the best of all their parts, and this is the fantastic result: Green, smooth, utterly impeccable, classy floral/green-chypre. Amazone is absolutely unisex and one of those anytime, anyplace go-to "white shirt" fragrances. I especially like the earthy, almost smokey oakmoss and vetiver that grounds it more than its more ethereal & floral cousins. It has a late summer "meadow & dried leaves" accord that is fantastic. A must-try for green chypre lovers.

misscasey's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Mmmmm. Perfect! An ambery floral with a chalkdust note that softens the sharpness. An elusive peachy fruit note makes this pleasant and wearable.
    If there is musk, it is not the sweet juicy white musk I'm used to smelling in newer frags (I don't like that kind of musk). It is dry and dusty but not too much so.
    There is a vague sweet richness which is delicate and hard to define.
    For some reason Bal a Versailles reminds me of old books and paintings, the historical buildings on my college campus, and the beautiful intelligent people who inhabit them.
    A smart scent in my mind. I. LOVE. THIS. STUFF. !!

misscasey's avatar

Exceptional Because You Are by Exceptional

Light, sweet, melony, aquatic floral. Pleasant but painfully boring. Overtly synthetic. Brings dryer sheets to my mind.
    Very ordinary and predictable IMHO.

tuberose_and_sand's avatar

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

1. Lasting power: good,half a day at least. I'd say that's very good for a perfume, any perfume!!!
    2. Smells like: fresh, modern, very pleasant and light. I do not find it masculine at all, quite the opposite, it has "woman" written all over it ;) A bit fruity, some flowers and a touch of sweetness, that's what it is like to me. Nothing overpowering, nothing oriental or too flowery, just a great balance between the 3 mentioned above.
    3. Overall verdict: it is a good buy, nothing to regret later!