Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

JDE's avatar

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

Far too strong, far too sweaty and far too bitter. My tester was on the old side, so bear that in mind, but there's nothing classy about this. It's almost vulgar. I prefer the original but even then... An odd mixture of real lemon, cleaning products, sweat and a faint tinge of urine. Obviously that's a bit a of an exaggeration, but I couldn't get on with this. I actually felt self concious wearing it. Initially I was on the fence, as it can be very cloying at times, but when mixed with natural body heat it smells very natural and realistic - a proper lemon aroma. It's fairly obvious that they have used good ingrediants, I just struggled to "get it" and didn't like the way a single wearing could produce varying results. In a way, I respect the way a frag should be slightly different each time, but this was almost unreliable in it's unpredictability.

Nice bottle, nice atomiser, good longevity at 8+ hours, nuclear projection. All good in the hood.... I just hate the smell 90% of the time. Sorry!

pinkfizzy's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very nice! Ginger-citrus opening, a little vetiver and some violet-leaf of course, then a oriental amber drydown. My roommate used to wear this, and strangely enough, it was what got me interested in exploring mass-market scents. Just a really enjoyable smell, nothing particularly innovative, but I really like it, and I would consider buying it for myself. I have smelled Cool Water, but it although it didnt really stick in my memory, it was not much like LHomme, to me at least. Id recommend it for a guy of any age who doesnt care much about fragrance but wants to smell nice to people around him. It would make a good first fragrance for a young guy, but it would work for any age. Although older (retiree-age) guys usually have their mind made up about what they wear, and stick to it.

pinkfizzy's avatar

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Kenzo Amour is indeed very comforting. Im not usually a fan of gourmands, but the vanilla in this is subtle and the sweetness is balanced by the incense and woods. Ive had quite a few compliments on this, and I like to put some on before I go to bed, especially in the winter.

I have also layered it with Bulgari Black, to accentuate the vanilla-amber drydown of Black, and they were lovely together.

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

My guesses as to the notes were- jasmine, gardenia, tuberose and powder. It is quite sweet and powdery and smells like my 80+ year old granny's White Shoulders. I like it on her, but could never pull it off. It actually has a pleasant drydown, clean skin. Still, its quite old fashioned and the first sniff may knock your socks off.

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

I once loved it. Not it smells cheap, plastic and sickening.

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

I was surprised by this one, I was expecting hard and its got fluff. Pretty with a sensual base. It isnt exquisite, but it is nice.

Pretty by Elizabeth Arden

It smells boring and like a million other pink floral scents. Pleasant and harmless, but boring.

Versace Versense by Versace

Very citrusy opening, I smell coriander. Then it dries down to a citrus MUSK. The drydown is masculine, I smell nothing feminine about it. I would love it on a man, on myself I'd smell SKANKY.

hcr's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Reading through the reviews, first day of wearing this. I notice maybe only 2 women commented on this, and I don't believe I saw the term "sexy" applied by anyone to this. It just isn't. I was expecting more citrus and freshness, but its just kinda like people have been saying. Salty, "mossy", earthy, kinda dry. Will not offend anyone, could spray alot and be fine, but its missing something. Its just not fresh, I like the scent, but again not sure if its something I want on my body. I can't see this getting any compliments from anyone, nor could I imagine any women wanting to get closer for a whiff of this. But it won't turn anyone off either. This would be a good "car" scent, to just leave in the car when you just need a shot of something light. But all this doesn't surprise me that it is quite popular here as an aquatic, because it isn't as fresh or citrus"y as like AdG or Issey or something very common. Doesn't have a "hook" for me, but might also be a good outdoor cologne too, you can picture sea water, rocks. Would not wear this on a date though...

The Dreamer by Versace

I do not understand why so many people gave this positive reviews. I did not like this fragrance at all. The opening is horrible, way too strong and cloying. The dry down was nothing special. I tried The Dreamer on three separate occasions, but every time I still found it vulgar.

In my opinion JPG Le Male does this style of fragrance way better.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

I really like this scent!
    The orange candy opening is very unique and memorable. Yes it does smell synthetic, but there is synthetic good and synthetic bad…this is synthetic good.
    Contrary to other reviews I find this has outstanding longevity (12+ hours), but maybe that has more to do with how it mixes with my skin.
    Not to some peoples tastes so definitely try before buy.
    Big thumbs up from me!

08th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2010)

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

This is not my favourite cologne, nonetheless, I can say with out a doubt that I have never received as many compliments with any other cologne as I have with Polo Blue.
    I received it as a gift and thought it smelled nice (it didn’t blow my mind), but for some reason whenever I wore it chicks seemed to dig it.
    So now I’ve grown to love it… can’t argue with results!

ortho123's avatar

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Green, soapy, a little edgy.

An oddly elemental brew...sadly discontinued.

08th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th November, 2014)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Bertrand Duchaufour applies the masters touch to this patchouli standout fragrance by adding soft but cool complimentary notes all around the patchouli to tame the beast. The result is a light gentle patchouli blend that exposes the feminine, earthy side of this normally aggressive fragrance for a peaceful patchouli blend that works nicely to satisfy the "inner hippie" for either gender.

The scent begins with a lightly sweet peachy floral osmanthus which opens the patchouli central note. Using osmanthus to tone down the patchouli with its subtle sweetness is a very original blending idea that I've not seen with patchouli before - Brilliant idea! The back side of this patchouli story is woven with cool tones of translucent white musk and a complimentary anise oil layer. The cool mint of patchouli is complimented and enhanced by this equally cool base of white musk and anise for a nice woody but starkly cold closing chord. Overall Patchouli Patch is a very simple story of a very few notes that work so well together. The peach floral osmanthus opens the patchouli scent, while the white musk and anise softly cools and closes it down. A perfectly put together patchouli story!

I keep giving thumbs up to patchouli blends and it appears I might rubber stamp approval for every patch fragrance around, but not true! I am routinely turned off by the over used patchouli standard formula that tames patchouli oil with vanilla and/or amber sweetness then calls it done. I am also really turned off by pure patchouli oil strength and blends that emphasize the masculine nature of patchouli when it is plenty too strong to begin with. My inner child craves a great patchouli scent and I can not ignore any original and really good patchouli creation - such as this L' Artisan beauty. Extra stars for a unique use of complimentary notes and the creation of a perfect simplicity- Patchouli Patch -far out!

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2009)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Patchouli Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

CB Pathcouli Empire smells as a proper oriental wood might smell as it transitions to the British Empire from the wilds of Indonesia - tamed and civilized. This oil is a fine blend of patchouli's mixed with rich woods and a bit of pepper. Might the wood be rosewood? or mahogoney?, or a blend of woods + patchouli - whatever the combination of dark woods the result is a nicely finished, oil rubbed wood of the Empire. I prefer this version of finished patchouli to the vanilla / amber patchoulis that are so common now. A thumbs up for a good proper patchouli!

JaimeB's avatar

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

A classic chypre from the 1980's, with prominent moss notes in the base. The "woody notes" definitely include patchouli, and the mandarin stands in for bergamot. The floral bouquet in the middle is classic and very tastefully done, so the florals don't tip the balance against the base notes. Marketed to women, but the drydown is fine on a man, since all the florals in this are now commonly found in "masculine" scents and fall well short of screeching levels.

Words's avatar

Mat; Orange by Masakï Matsushïma

This is pretty simple... Mat Orange is an Orange scent through and through. It doesnt really try to hide that fact, just a straight-forward Orange with moderate-to-weak lasting power. That's why I like to use it as a layering perfume, otherwise you're looking at more of a body spray. Certainly a great smell if you like the smell of sweet Oranges, just not much character for $50 USD a pop.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2010)

zztopp's avatar

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Notes:
    Top: Lemon, lime, Bergamot, Petitgrain
    Middle: Clary Sage, orange, lavender, basil
    Base: Musk, cedar, civet

The bottle lists the notes as Bergamot, lemon, lavender, verbena, oakmoss, sandalwood but the Osmoz pyramid is the one which seems more accurate. Monsieur de Givenchy (MdG) is a citrus-aromatic/chypre from Givenchy's mythical line: classics from the Givenchy vault, and arguably the high point of Givenchy parfums. MdM is a conventional fragrance; its structure exhibits fine balance, and its made of good materials. The lemon/lime top notes are sharp but extremely fleeting...one may need to spray 3-4 times in quick succession to let the nostrils grasp 'em. Almost immediately the central powdery, musky, lavender accord takes hold with a herbal spicy-sweet basil note anchoring the other end. As the fragrance progresses I detect a lite, doughy, bread like note (is it the petitgrain?) and a sweetish, slightly animalic note (civet) and woods in the base. The musky powdery lavender heart is never overbearing, and the whole shebang lasts for a decent 5-6 hours.

At times, MdM seems like a lighter version of Signoricci (they both share a lime top and a lavender-woody heart). Sure it can boss around the anemic newer citrus chemicals of today, but when compared to its illustrious compatriots from 50 years ago it lacks the creativity of Eau Sauvage and the grand chypre finish of Chanel pour monsieur. MdM is a fine fragrance, but one can't help feel its the Andy Roddick of the 1960s citrus classics.

Rating: 8.25/10.0

scentsitivity's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Diptyque certainly makes some unconventional, push-the-envelope type scents. This is another one. Here we have a very sharp and harsh green opening. Eventually a dark rose emerges, but the harsh green doesn’t go away. I like the rose somewhat, but the green ruins it for me.

derekp's avatar

Suivez-Moi by Fragonard

As someone noted below it is similar to Le Male, but possibly more similar to the Body Shop Javari in that it is not as smooth or powdery as the former. In it's favour, it's also not as synthetic. Not for me, but if you wished Le Male tipped more towards lavender than vanilla in it's base, you may enjoy this.

Tony T's avatar

Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

i had a sample a few years back and i remember it being very floral. a very hard to find scent. nice floral. it was simple but i liked it.

bbBD's avatar

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

AW Silver Factory is by far the most unique Bond No.9 fragrance. Bond No. 9 is a good house but suffers - like Montale - from being overly ambitious and releasing too many similar fragrances too soon after inception. The result is countless citrus and floral fragrances with only slight variation between them. I first sampled AWSF when it was first released and did not like it at all - too strong, too smoky. However that was at a time when I wasn't into strong, bold fragrances and I had yet to understand or appreciate the use of incense in perfumery. Quite simply, this wasn't a fragrance for a relative newbie - perhaps not even for an amateur collector. I put my samples away, expecting to come back to them someday.

Fast forward to now. I've been exploring lots of incense fragrances and I have an appreciation for bold scents. Breaking out and sampling Silver Factory was like sampling an entirely new fragrance for the first time. AWSF begins with a terric woody incense accord that is very strong and so resinous it borders on being sour. Over the next hour the fragrance smooths out, with a amber appearing to cut the resin and sharpness of the incense. The amber becomes more and more prominent, and borders on being a little bit too sweet for my tastes. The incense never fully disappears but it becomes far less noticeable as the base emerges. Discrete florals fill out the base and a touch of violet becomes distinct, giving more sweetness to the composition. From here the woody/amber/floral base persists for many hours.

Sillage is loud, longevity superb and the structure is solid. The only problem with Silver Factory is that it shows how well Bond can do fragrances, making some of their less impressive offerings all the more regrettable.

This is a Bond I hope to have on the shelf someday. Excellent.

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

Around Midnight by Mark Buxton

This was one of my first niche samlpe purchases and I still love it.
    Bearing a lot of notes in commen with Buxtons creation for Biehls Parfumkunstwerke (camomile, styrax, patchouli, ciste) which is clearly present in form of heavy resemblances of the two one can assume that Buxton had an inspiration but, for some reason, couldnt get it right for Biehl so he decided to create a more daring version under his own name.
    The result is IMO mb03 stripped down of its unnecessary softness and with enhanced edges.
    The opening starts off very fresh, even cold with the pepper being very prominent before the Jasmin escorts the change into the to my nose oriental smelling, sensual drydown.
    My first impression (when I smelled it the first time) was the drydown smells of Myrrh but I think thats because i havent got much experience with Styrax as a note and couldnt imagine Patchouli being used in such a beautiful way.
    Highly recommended!

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

1. CREED Fleurs de Bulgarie Millesime (w) Bergamot, Bulgarian Rose, Ambergris, and Musk. This version was introduced in 1980 and is still in production and readily available. This is a 2-stage perfume, not quite linear. First comes the rose, definitely Bulgarian or Otto. Shortly thereafter arrives the most long-lasting and pungent drydown of Ambergris (aged sperm whale puke from eating squid). I never found the purported top note of Bergamot, although maybe it simply serves here, in very small amounts, to provide “lift” for the rose. Creed is one of the only perfumers in the world to still have access to the real ambergris, and it is really is amazing stuff. I disagree with Turin on this one; I don’t find FdB a dead rose at all. Constant, maybe, but not dead. I like to wear this alone, but it also layers well with other scents. FdB is a very comforting perfume that wears all day, even in my dry climate. Excellent sillage. $$

Lancetti Madame by Lancetti

This is a reformulation of the first women’s fragrance from the Italian Haute Couture designer Pino Lancetti, launched in 1976 and simply called Lancetti. The original scent was dominated by Labdanum, an anise scented gum resin. MADAME LANCETTI is a polite and lovely rose based reformulation meant to appeal to the floral-fruity preferences of the 1990s. It was not enormously popular in the US, and thus was discontinued here and later worldwide. It is still occasionally available online for moderate prices.

Top Notes: Gardenia, Lily, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, & Freesia

Heart Notes: Peach, Mirabelle (plum), Rose, & Jasmine

Base Notes: Patchouli, Oak Moss, Iris, & Tonka

What I find so enchanting about this scent is the plastic rosy scent that arises after a light lemon balm (mint) sensation in the top. The middle presents some green notes that remind one of an idealized summer garden after a rainshower. The base is very discreet, and serves mainly to uphold the floral-fruity notes. Altogether, Madame seems fairly synthetic to me, but, nonetheless, delightful and yummy. It is everything a lighthearted Rose should be. Perfect for an early summer wedding, but go lightly as it is quite strong even in the EdT. It bears some similarity to l’eau by Laura Ashley and Trueste by Tiffany, both of 1995. I can understand why others may not find this scent impressive, but its sillage and pleasant character make it a warm weather favorite for me.

L'Eau by Laura by Laura Ashley

LAURA ASHLEY l’eau EdT (w) Rare & Discontinued.

This symphonic, aromatic floral (created in 1994; launched in ’95 under the supervision of Paul Sebastian) is a perfume I love to wear in the spring. The sprightly top notes of lemon and petitgrain are a lovely introduction to a heart dominated by lavender and carnation. The base is very subtle, and serves mainly to fix the top and base notes. As the top notes on this perfume are truly a part of the beauty, it is imperative to locate a bottle that has been stored properly. Top notes are often delicate and subject to deterioration more than the sturdy resins and musks found in the bases of perfumes.

Ingredients for l’eau include:

Top Notes of: Lemon, Mandarin, Petitgrain, & Rosemary

Middle Notes of: Jasmine, Lavender, Lily of the Valley, Carnation

Base Notes of: Patchouli, Sandal, Moss, Tonka

Laura Ashley’s older perfumes- No.1 No. 2, l’eau. Emma, & Dilys-have a cult following, and with good reason. Probably some of the prettiest perfumes ever made, they are still available online from time to time. Online auctions are mobbed by bidders and there is nary a bargain to be seen. (Martecci’s Fine Fragrances has actually re-synthesized some of them through molecular analysis and reconstruction.) These first perfumes have no connection to the current Ashley releases; Ashley’s husband Bernard personally oversaw their creations. Sadly, subsequent issues with distributor Alfin (until ’93), quality control, shop closures, majority Malaysian ownership, and ties to tele-evangelist Pat Robertson have sullied the reputation of LA and brought the quality of its products to outlet-store levels.

Or Noir by Pascal Morabito

Although this scent is considered a sharp floral, this and other aldehydic heavy hitters such as Chanel No. 5 and Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent should come with a warning label: “ Caution! This is a superb scent, if you can survive the first 15 minutes”

With a sharp, soapy, and aldehydic top dominated by iris, the floral heart is obscured for the first 10-15 minutes. I have to say I sense more notes than the three mentioned above. There is definitely an herbaceous resin note as well-maybe the bergamot peeking through? I would not have guessed there was any cassis at all. Eventually, the top simmers down and the heart emerges rather discreetly. The aldehydes remain, but take a back seat to the rich floral accord. They eventually fade and leave the wearer with the impression of sweet tobacco-very compelling.

This is a strict, mature scent, for a formal professional setting or an evening out. I can’t see it on anyone under 40. The composition is very tight and precise. Not to be overapplied in public.

Madigral by Molinard

This is a lovely men’s scent-classic, natural feeling, longwearing, and compelling. It has the simplicity characteristic of Molinard fragrances. Classified as a mossy, woody scent, it boasts notes of Clary Sage, Tarragon, Lavender, Juniper, & Patchouli. The earthy sweetness, ease, and comfort of this scent makes it wearable by both men and women. It seems the patchouli is tempered by tonka or vanilla, although not stated in the official notes. It is currently available in eau de toilette strength.

b.n. Madrigal is a vintage 1935 scent from the French Perfume House of Molinard. In 1993 Madrigal underwent a reformulation and was relaunched under the umbrella of the Les Masculins Collection, which includes the scents Madrigal, Vaniteck, and Rafale. Molinard, one of the three famous –ard houses of Grasse-Molinard, Fragonard, and Galimard, is a provider of fragrance essences and bases to other major fragrance houses. They maintain an open studio and perfume museum in Grasse, which can be visited by the public.

Sabi by Henry Dunay

This lovely green scent is made of more than 250 notes, mostly natural. Henry Dunay is a well-regarded American maker of fine jewelry (www.henrydunay.com). In 1998 his brother, perfumer Richard Loniewski, created Sabi for the jeweler. Information on this perfume was not commonly available, so I contacted Henry Dunay directly and received the following ingredient list:

Top Notes of Italian Mandarin, Carnation, Angelica Seed, Orangeflower Absolute, & Bergamot Oil;

Middle Notes of Hyacinth, Jonquil Absolute, Jasmine Absolute French, Narcisse, Violet Leave, & Tuberose;

Base Notes of East Indian Sandalwood, Haitian Vetivert, Tonka, & Musk.

Some compare Sabi to Estee Lauder’s perfume “Private Collection”, Lancome’s “Climat”, the original “Sung” by Alfred Sung, or “Deneuve” by Catherine Deneuve (another of my personal favorites). It is commonly thought of as old-fashioned, but I hardly find this the case. It seems as if any perfume that doesn’t scream “Raspberry Mochachino” is considered dowdy these days. My take on Sabi is that it is a green symphonic floral; that is, the notes synthesize to create a completely new note. It is difficult to separate them out and identify them individually. This often occurs in perfumes where there are many ingredients, such as Joy by Jean Patou and Beautiful by Estee Lauder. For sure, there are green herbaceous notes, with musky white flowers (not gardenia, or trumpet flower, but a unique floral note with that insipid cloying quality that both possess-the jonquil contributes here). It is a somewhat linear fragrance in that the top notes do not give way to the heart or the base, but, rather, join them. The Tonka provides enough creaminess to give it nice body, without the gourmand note that Vanilla would contribute. The Sandal and Vetiver/t also combine nicely to give a woody, spicy base that does not drown out the rest-the Vetivert keeps it buoyant. Sabi manages to be fresh and sparkling, but to have nice weight at the same time. Think of an Alsatian Pinot Gris.

As much as I think this perfume does not match my personality, I love to wear it (as much as I can afford!).

Sabi is available in Eau de Parfum and Pure Parfum concentrations. One of the main critiques of this fragrance is the high price point-$110 for 50ml of EdP and $225 for 30ml of perfume. $$$

Nizzle's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

This had the most drastic change in dry down I have ever witnessed. On my skin I got a cedary EdC that transformed into something that smelled like a block of incense, tar, charcoal, and lavender (the kind in Lavanda Tonica, which smells like a rotten, crushed bouquet IMO) I scrubbed multiple times when I got to this phase.