Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Culture by Tabac: Egypt Dreams by Mäurer & Wirtz

One of my all time favourites. Wore this for the first time when i was 15 :)
    However, this is quite a strong and unique scent that is too offensive at times. I could never wear this everyday

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This is just great for winter months. Fresh but not amped with citrus. No nasty sidekicks, just the warm and simple odour. This scent is in balance. On the other hand during summer time i feel kinda awkward wearing this. On a hot day it just doesn't give out the best of it.

Style In Play by Lacoste

One of my favourites for many years now. I've gotten compliments about this from women. I like the combo of sweetness and freshness. It makes me feel fresh.

Essential by Lacoste

I bought this while I was shopping with a female friend of mine. I liked the scent and she told me it really got her too. But in a very short time I got totally bored of this and the bottle is still 70% full. I very rarely wear this. It just doesn't feel interesting anymore. No character whatsoever.

andyman32's avatar

Powerful by Boadicea the Victorious

Lemon, with a touch of grapefruit. Don't even go looking for violet, ylang-ylang or sandalwood. It's 95% lemon and 5% grapefruit. I like lemon and this would be so-so on a woman, but it's singularly unimpressive in terms of endurance & complexity. You could just buy a bottle of lemon essential oil and you'd be in the same spot as buying a bottle of Powerful.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Acteur by Azzaro

A stronger, rounder, richer, more complete, fullfiling version of Roger & Gallet Pour L'Homme, which I guess might be due to the pressence of prominent indolic notes: whereas R&G pour L'Homme bergamot is circled by civet, in this case this can be one might as well think it could be the presence of musk and leather.

Acteur is very strong, not only in its top notes, also in terms of sillage and longevity, much in an 1980's way.

Unfortunately, it is very hard to find, at least on-line.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Spazio Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Odyseusm states that "Spazio Krizia Uomo is a strange, sweet..." Yes, this is right: a green opening much in style of many scents launched at the time of its release, in line of classics I don't particularly cherish, like CK's Eternity and Platinum Egöiste.

However, do not let these top notes baffle you, for they are just part of the opening; Spazio takes a complete different way in its mid and base notes. Thus, here is where comparissons to Moustache apply... sweet amberine/musky accords diverge it from its top notes, making Spazio a complex yet difficult to hold character. These mid and base notes could be described as "weak", they do not make a statement of any sort, it is a smell standing there waiting for the wearer to make a judgment but failing to do so. It does not bother nor it makes you feel comfortable. It would be similar to a very dim light trying to have some sort of presence but failing to do so.
    However, Spacio's longevity is strange too, for I can feel a mixture of sweet and green notes lingering after hours of application, as if top notes were re-released by some obscure mechanism.

I would not say that this is worth having in any collection, and I am sure it won't be part of the fragrances I will be using frequently, but I can't deny it is a very curious blend, in this sense, worth studying.

jenniemic's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I want to like this perfume, and it isn't that I find it bad. Of the reviews that I've read (here and elsewhere), I haven't found anyone else who shares my opinion of the scent. On my skin, Black Orchid is completely linear. I've sampled it three times now, and I don't notice a change from the top notes to the base notes. If I had to pick one dominant note, I would say gardenia (and I adore gardenia). I also notice the vanilla and patchouli, and they work well with the gardenia. But somehow this perfume misses the mark: I wish it would evolve on my skin, I wish it had a little extra oomph, or that it was a tad darker. It does have amazing lasting power on me (and not too many perfumes do). I do agree with other reviewers that the bottle itself seems a tad cheap.

nightchilde's avatar

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

Top notes of rhubarb, red currrant, and kiwi meld dramatically with a floral heart, deepened by base notes of sandalwood, grapefruit and musk.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Rush by Gucci

Mm-mmh, who's wearing that heavenly scent??

Somehow reminiscent of CK's Obsession for Women, this without a doubt is a scent that turns heads, especially men's. I wouldn't be surprised if Colonel Frank Slade himself goes "HOO-AH!" Everytime I catch a whiff of it, I've come to expect a sexy, confident young woman sashaying near me. I feel they are the sort who can really pull it off, certainly not the meek nor the shy, according to Tom Ford. Small wonder that it has become a wildly popular choice among the teenage club-hopping wannabes, which is a pity really. Tacky plasticky bottle notwithstanding, Gucci Rush deserves a wider audience especially among stylish, sophisticated young women. Oh well, in another 10 years perhaps.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th September, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

This is surprisingly good. Probably the smoothest ride from Ferrari's stable. I know that's not saying much but a guy who just ventured into the world of colognes could easily do a lot worse than picking FB. An affordable yet pleasant choice, it beats quite a few of the designer citruses at their game.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th September, 2009)

SoGent's avatar

Le Boise by Ginestet

Absolutely love this one. At the top end the dry cedar / oak note with a slight 'wine' tinge is glorious. Dry and smooth.
    Midway of this trip - a little incense begins to seep through and it begins to remind me of Straight to Heaven & Pure Oud (somewhat) by Kilian.
    However, it's downhill from there - not with the scent itself but its lightness meaning no staying power and no sillage.

More intensity and longevity and this would be a keeper. Higher dosage levels MAY help I suppose.

SoGent's avatar

Tihota by Indult

Searching for a vanilla & wood combination, I had to try Tihota and very glad I did. This one is an outstanding vanilla fragrance.
    So good, it begins to give Guerlain's SDV a run for its money IMO - the big difference being the inclusion of 'smoke' in SDV, which is the SDV downfall as far as I'm concerned.
    Personally, I'm beginning to think that smoke notes are playing out - at least I hope so. For me, their time has come and gone since so many are / have done it.

I've read that Tihota projects a sort of vanilla cake aura - that IS true but the waft is only slightly so. Not overly sweet and it is pretty linear.
    For me, the drydown reveals a dry vanilla and leaves an 'amber' note originally present behind.

One note I pick up on is a sort of 'berry' tone which I haven't heard or seen mentioned before. It could just be my skin @ this particular point in time but I can't imagine how.
    Either way, this is good stuff - for a single note vanilla.

One a scale of 1 - 10, I'm giving it an 8 on intensity or strength a 7 in the longevity department as well as a 7 for projection / sillage.

septembergirl's avatar

West Broadway by Bond No. 9

Sweet, sweet, sweet floral, as inviting as warm sun in a beautiful wooded surrounding. I love West Broadway. The scent is similar to a Trapp candle I once smelled, Scent #1 Summer Flowers, and the fragrance wears beautifully. The lime at the opening moves quick and the scent residing in the center is lush and romantic. This is one of the better Bond scents because of the seamless blending and longevity.

septembergirl's avatar

Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9

Lexington Avenue was 'this' close to being my next fragrance purchase. The problem: the drydown/base layer. When first applied, it smells sweet and wonderful, and I can really smell the creme brulee and the fennel--both are so charming and that was what lured me in and I was almost totally hooked. This fragrance has decent longevity and holds the middle notes with consistency and strength. But, in the final moments, this terrible musky smell sat where the former sweetness was and it was so stinky. I thought about an imaginary scenario of me wearing Lexington Ave to work... what if I wore this scent to the office, how would my coworkers react if, after some long and stressful meeting behind closed doors, my body heat stirs up the base layer and what if that musky drydown became so prominent that it ended up offending them and made them think I just naturally smelled bad? Yikes--that would be awful and I don't want that! To me, that musk is what ruins Lexington Ave. I am so disappointed.

Lamp's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Armani Code is a very nice scent. I like how it is masculine without out being imposing, which to me this is the true mark of a classy male fragrance. I do like the dry down better than the opening and I agree with others that the tonka bean is defiantly the dominate note.

I also love the bottle, very cool.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2010)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Angel for Women always stops me in my tracks and makes me fall instantly in love. So I really wanted to make Angel for Men work for me. It just doesn't.

I don't know if I'm too mature for it, but I get too much grief whenever I've tried to wear it. I don't know that I identify the "food" elements of it - chocolate, coffee, vanilla, but I do love the smell. In hindsight, I don't see it as masucline- pretty unisex.

I noted it was a very powerful EdT. Just a bit goes a long way. Be careful with this one because as many reviewers have noted, it's a very polarizing scent- and lots of people are close to nauseated by it in my experience.

One of the best bottle designs ever that's for sure.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A frag I got talked into by a cologne clerk without knowing it was a unisex scent.

Sultry, resinous and dark. Pretty masculine for a unisex scent, but it kind of shifts back and forth. Not sure what kind of woman could wear this comfortably (but I would like to meet her).

I should wear it more because I generally get a fair number of gushy compliments on this one. Reaches out a little further than most of the frags I've tried. Not for those who want to keep their scent "quiet." Just a small amount will reach out and touch people. Powerful stuff.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I own this and I want to like it more than I really do. It just doesn't last on me like GIT. It's one the orientals from Creed and it is a wonderful scent. Masculine and slightly dark.

But another reviewer called it "80s" and I can get that. One can imagine this being very popular and "edgy" in the boardrooms about 1985.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

I got talked into this scent because a woman I was wild about said it was her favorite. Among the other brands in its price range it is indeed one of the most elegant and sophisticated - nearly to a fault. Felt dark and heavy, pretty strong as I recall. To me, it's at complete odds with anything other than a suit and tie.

Not a good scent for a younger man; I think it would seem way too pretentious on anyone under about 35 or so. Just picked up a new bottle. Feels like my version of Blenheim Bouquet with some longevity.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 04th December, 2009)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I've tried a great many colognes and among the high priced options, this one is classic, worth the money, very masculine and distinctive. (Some of my bias comes from how well it works on me.)

It's also one of the few in the Creed line that also offers a soap and after shave balm (which is fantastic).

If I were going to advise someone who could only opt for one pricey scent, this would be the one. Some might find it a bit heavy for summer.

The name is misleading. Fairly floral but in a very, very masculine way.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I used to love this but it was a very heavy syrupy sort of scent. In the summer it felt like it was choking me.

Just realized looking it up in here that it smells to me like a clumsy concentrated version of Creed's Green Irish Tweed.

Should be used in small amounts cause it's a pretty powerful scent. It will "reach out" much more than many EdTs.

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I loved this one for a time. But it had an overwhelming powdery note on me. Lots of vanilla. I got tons of compliments on this one - but always from women just enogh older than me to kind of spook me a bit.

Very pleasant, but I'm not sure who would wear this these days.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This one is a modern classic. One of the few scents that I find is overwhelmingly loved by women. With my preference for darker, heavier scents, it frustrates me to keep this one "active."

A must have for a men's frag collection no doubt.

Though with its popularity, I'm always a little put off when I run into another man wearing it. And that happens a lot.

Pretty good sillage. Good warm weather scent. Versatile enough for day or night wear. I'm little over it, but some of the women in my life won't let me let it go.

I'm baffled as to how I would describe it. It is a citrus I guess, but I must admit it does a nice job of not smelling like a typical citrus. I believe I have read somewhere that Issye was shooting for the smell of cherry blossoms.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I think of this one as a modern classic that's time has passed. I found it to one of the more powerful EdTs, and a little bit went a long way.

I loved the smell, but I tend to think it was a fairly polarizing scent...some loved it and some hated it. There wasn't a lot of middle ground.

Since I discovered Basenotes, and have tried a variety of high end colognes, it smells a bit artificial to me now.

I have and use plenty of frags that could be considered "out" but this one's best days are likely gone.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

I initially didn't like Tabarome based on an in store test years ago. Seeing it talked up here and finding out it was going away I gave it another shot. My initial review was from the day I joined Basenotes and I'm sorry I wrote it. With time, and sampling, my tastes have changed. I've done a total 180 on this one. What was I thinking?

WOW. This is a man's fragrance. Potent and masculine. This is everything the good reviews say it is. Great sillage and a little bit goes a long way. It's so mature and not sexy that it IS sexy as hell.

A crime it is going extinct. How I kick myself that I didn't grab a flacon when they were so easily had.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th February, 2010)

Vétiver by Creed

I think this is kind of a "mature" man scent, but I like it a lot (and I am a sort of mature man after all). Evokes an earlier time that's for sure.

Fresh and a little sharp. A little more heaviness than a green scent would usually have. I do notice the soapiness others mention here. It does conjure up an old barber shop but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I always worry about the shelf life of some of the slower selling colognes and I'm guessing this is one of them. The sillage is a little weak on me.

X for Men by Clive Christian

The priciest cologne I've ever tried. Pretty close to worth it. Many compliments came my way whenever I wore it. A woman who insists that I should only wear Miyake even gave two thumbs up and she is very discerning.

I guess it's the labdanum that I most noticed, A little on the sweet side, but it worked well on me. The silage was fantastic and it struck a nice balance between staying close to me and reaching out jussssst enough.

It is so expensive, I have avoided repurchasing (but have instead tried four or five other pricey brands D'oh!)

The name is unfortunate. A couple of times was when women asked what I was wearing they thought I said "Axe." Yikes!

Scent Intense by Costume National

Pretty pricey for a scent that I don't love...one of my regrets was purchasing this one. Some of the frags in my wardrobe are before my Basenotes discovery and the result of aggressive SAs.

My nose is not yet developed and discerning enough to give a breakdown of the scent, but it doesn't feel masculine enough for my tastes. Maybe part of the problem is I can't identify any particular note to put it into a familar category.

I keep trying to make it work, but last wearing people told me it smelled like Liz Taylo'rs White Diamonds and they didn't mean it in a good way. There are some who love it, but give it test wear if it intrigues you.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th January, 2010)

Dia Man by Amouage

I like this scent. I am hard pressed to describe it or identify the various components. I can't think of anything else I've tried that is comparable.

Fresh and light with an edge. On me it's very subdued and I go "blind" to it an hour after I put it on. But I get a lot of compliments on it long after I think it's gone, so it's hanging in better than I think.

Very nice scent for office wear.

You know as you put it on that it's an opulent fragrance, and I assert that anyone who gets close enough knows it too.

09th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 07th February, 2010)