Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

Highly elegant....I was able to sample this up against some of the other male rose based scents and this one is the most masculine and mysterious to me. Dark and subtle. Dangerous.

I had to try it based on the "this is what Dracula would wear" review. That was right on. I feel like I could get away with wearing a cape with this one.

I would not say I have the "nose" of many of the posters in here, but the rose scent in this one is somewhat hidden- it doesn't dominate as it does with the Amouage Lyric. But make no mistake, it's right there in the middle.

A favorite in spite of the fact the film on the bottle crumbles.

09 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2010)

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

This is one of the mistakes in my frag collection. I let a sales person foist this off on me, and I should have done a test wear....

It's a very nice scent actually, but I can't tell I even put it on half an hour after I apply it. Way too subtle for me.

Tabacco by Odori

I tend to like darker, heavy scents and this one is one of my favorites. The tobacco shows up strong at the start but becomes very mingled with a very rich vanilla after dry down in a very masculine way. It lasts for hours and seems to continue developing into something else all day. Puts me in the mind of fine cigars and really good bourbon.

I never regret this purchase in spite of the steep price.

Lyric Man by Amouage

I love Amouage Dia and I really wanted to like this. But I compared it to several other rose-based male scents and this one is a little too "rosey" for me.

The dry down becomes a bit more masculine, but the rose scent is still pretty dominant and forward.

I prefer the dark hidden rose of Caraceni 1913, but I can see why many would love Lyric.

angelica's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I think Angel was the Opium of my generation. I remember reading about it before it came out, and there were quite a few of us desperate to get it... it was a topic of conversation... there was a buzz. And getting it meant a special trip into NYC from suburban CT, as it was only going to be available at Saks. It really didn't matter what it smelled like, because by the time I got to that counter, I had been dreaming about those notes (chocolate... in a perfume!?), and that gorgeous blue bottle, for so long, there was no way I was going to be deterred at that point. And I actually loved it. I thought it was AMAZING! And everyone else did too. Initially. And then sadly, after a year or so, the whole world seemed to be wearing it too. And too much Angel, as we all know, is not a good thing. I hope a younger generation will rediscover it at some point in the future, and it will take its place amongst the greats of all time. But in the distant future.

Absolu by Rochas

The opening is interesting – I enjoy the combination of orange and fig leaf… a very nice combination nicely done. But then the middle notes get too floral for me. Since I don’t get any mitigating pepper, the lily and the orange blossom get too heady for me, too strong, and it’s just too much for a while. The top and middle accords simply do not last very long; Then, after, say…a half hour, absolu is already into its rather weak drydown, from which I don’t get labdanum or cistus, but rather an potentially cloying sweet vanilla / amberish accord. The entire fragrance is gone from my skin within an hour even after a heavy application.

I’m not used to florals raging so strongly on my skin – usually they don’t perform very well, but with this fragrance the universe is turned upside down… the florals dominate on my skin and I can barely smell them on the paper card. On the card the pepper is very strong in the opening, and then I get a lovely orange, fig leaf, reduced lily, accord that seems to serve as both the later opening and the heart. It’s not long before the labdanum moves in to provide a beautiful, somewhat resinous depth to a fragrance I had thought was totally uncomplicated. On paper the drydown is a soft, textured, balsamic elegance. Rochas Absolu performs much better on paper than on my skin. It’s a so-so, feminine ultrafloral with poor lasting power on my skin, and an elegant unisex soft-spicy floral with poor lasting power on paper.

X-Centric by Dunhill

X-Centric: synthetic to the max but not necessarily unpleasant: Annoying opening - generic middle - nice base.

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

One of the great masculine classics: I would place Lauder for Men in the company of the originals of Antaeus, Van Cleef & Arpels, Bois du Portugal, and Tiffany for Men: truly distinguished. After a piercing but short-lived opening citrus note, Lauder for Men quickly progresses to a smooth spice / wood / green accord that can be described as a lot noble and a little dirty. Its top presents all the needed characteristics: full, rich, masculine, smoothly blended, and a more than a bit intriguing with its massed and complex accords. Its movement to the floral middle is smooth, and so is the floral middle itself, which doesn’t smell very floral: it’s a rippleless presentation of the wood / green from the top, floral bouquet from the middle, with the beginnings of the wood, amber, moss and musk of the base. The drydown follows the sophisticated patterns already established: ultra smooth, note filled, massed ‘80s accords, well balanced.

Though not as aggressive and domineering as those I’ve mentioned, at all times there is an authoritative exclusiveness about Lauder for Men that holds strongly through the run of the fragrance. It’s one of the few great classic masculine archetypes, and probably the most versatile of the group.

Ferrari Racing by Ferrari

Very nice… impressive, even. Ferrari Racing is lighter, subtler than the other Ferrari fragrances I’ve tested, and yet it has some interesting things going on. The pyramid cites several citrus notes in the opening but the opening doesn’t actually seem citrus to me. The basil and black pepper apparently dominate to the point where the citrus recede to the background. The middle is quite lively and spicy and the notes are clearly presented. I can identify sage, vetiver, cinnamon, and nutmeg in an excellently presented, if a bit raw, accord. Racing ends an a strong note… The drydown is woody with cashmeran wood, sandalwood, and patchouli. The wood is shadowed by some labdanum and musk. I’m missing the incense in the base. All the notes form a subtle fragrance that is clearly defined, masculine, and rather long lasting. Ferrari Racing is a winner.

Hoggar by Yves Rocher

The synthetic combination of bergamot and cedarwood is pernicious. I have known very few fragrances that I found as annoying as Hoggar is when it hits my skin. I bought a bottle blind and it’s another one of my regrets of blind-buying decisions. Regardless of when it was developed, I find Hoggar one of those ‘90s offerings that have that synthetic, conglomerate miasma thing going – only this one is worst than most. In four attempts I have never been able to keep it on my skin for more than fifteen minutes – in the past that has only happened with leather, violet leaf, or orchid prominent fragrances. There is no note listed in Hoggar that I dislike, so I’m guessing my problem with it is the quality of the ingredients or the proportions of the assembly, or maybe it’s the skin reaction thing. In any case, this is an emphatic thumb’s down.

Varon Dandy Platinum by Parera

Quite subtle and complex… the petitgrain comes on dominantly in the opening providing its citrus / herbal accord with a soft aromatic personality. To my nose the petitgrain and sage dominate with a diminutive lavender and anise shadowing it – it’s a rather sheer and dry herbal accord that I find very enjoyable in its uniqueness and discreetness. The heart notes continue the gentle aromatics with a soft cedar and geranium accord. Still very enjoyable and not very much different from the opening accord. For the skin scent-like base I get primarily moss and very little sweet. Varon Dandy remains dry, herbal, and subtle throughout its run resulting in a light and gentle masculine fragrance that is a very easy wear. Weak sillage and very good longevity.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

This is basically a fragrance that doesn’t have too much going for it except that it isn’t annoying or pushy. I don’t find anything wrong with this fragrance and it is pleasant in an unexciting sort of way. This is probably one of the better ones of the most recent Calvin Klein fragrances, but that isn’t saying much. Calvin Klein Man is light, it’s not highly synthetic, and it’s rather subtle. I, for one, don’t get a lot of “sweet” out of it. It is nicely fresh and comfortably wearable and has pretty good longevity. It’s inoffensive except for those who don’t care for violet leaf, but even the violet leaf isn’t excessive: An ok fragrance, just not all that interesting.

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Zirh Ikon is a not very complicated, but pleasant wood / incense fragrance. It opens with a gentle, balanced citrus / spicy accord where, at least on my skin, the spices and citrus are very soon overbalanced by wood and incense. The wood / incense then continue dominating through the end of the drydown. The incense, while pleasant at first, is probably not of the best quality because it has a poor longevity within the fragrance, and when the incense eventually morphs into something just a little more than a skin scent, and there is an oily, slightly synthetic off-note.

In spite of the description I just gave, I truly enjoy this fragrance because it is resinous, a little spicy, it’s masculine, and it smells darn good if I don’t pay too much attention to the quality of the ingredients and if I don’t smell it too close to the skin. I also like its softness and discreetness: I find it admirable that Ikon presents incense / wood / spice notes with character and yet the fragrance itself is quiet, sheer, and discreet – quite an accomplishment as far as I’m concerned, especially in an inexpensive fragrance. I love the magnetic cap, too… Ikon doesn’t have very good longevity on my skin.

JDBIII's avatar

Tweed by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

I have a vintage bottle of Tweed. The top notes are all but gone, but the drydown is lovely and very similar to L'Heure Bleue. Sadly, at the end, it does not share the quality or the longevity of the famous "guerlainade" base. but quite nice none the less.

Pugsley_f5's avatar

Joop! Jump Electric Heat by Joop!

This was a bit of a surprise....when I first sprayed it on I was thinking....eh another vanilla and sandalwood concoction....kinda blah...it was a very hot day...over a few hours I found myself curiously drawn to sniffing my arm...the drydown on this is very very good....it goes from a vanilla sandalwood mix to a tinge of vanilla....and a tinge of sandalwood...but patchouli and something peppery at the base...its a great drydown...I was pleasantly surprised!

Moneysuckle's avatar

Night Spice by Shulton

Old Spice with a shot of lavender. Very nice.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

The top notes are rather bright, aldehydic, and citrussy, backed by a vaguely "fresh" accord that persists through the fragrance. In the heart and base it takes on a certain sweet mustiness; not quite floral, and certainly not natural, with a sharp, soapy, chlorinated edge. I've tried this three times now, actively trying to like it - or at least smell what the previous reviewers smelled - to no avail.

If this is the moss of the future, then count me out of the chypre genre. It's not even a case of authentic versus synthetic... It's like being fed packing peanuts as opposed to the real thing. As for jasmine, it's simply not there.

An utter failure.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Not a muscle car scent but a Smartcar scent. Great for the immature to think they are mature and for a mature wearer who wants to think he's younger (but then he feels older, spare tire, subliminal image). Plays with the sense of the verbotten smoothly but relies on when-in-doubt vanilla. Proves vanilla really ain't that easy even after the fetish stuff. Gets a ticket for being tiresome, bad pun intended.

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Another Italian scent attempting green in an 80's kind of way. Mostly an awkward opening more than offputting, clumsy more than harsh. The door cracks and in walks in a kind of dry pine soap, not bright as in Pino Silvestre, more like hazy. And so you're patient somewhat thinking the old world drydown won't be old, but it says in perfect English: "It is." Reaches for class, but ends up somewhere at the end of the film "Cinema Paradiso." Had this one in the after shave and never finished the bottle. The drydown seems to be reaching for a sweeter heart.

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

What does this scent in for me is the rush into the drydown away from any real semblance of brightness...and that's what stays and stays. Gone is the citrus.pine which yes I get and even what I imagine might be vanillic but it's amber and it's really really smoke, like "Incense is best" is it's real motto. I prefer Agua Brava....even after a 1 shot attempt...at breathing.

Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

A more hallucinigenic version of Aramis 900 with trips along the way into note varieties that rival Halston Z-14 (especially appearing more distinctly)...an oasis floral mirage in the middle...somehow amazingly grounded with traditional note references yet somehow unexpected...in the drydown. Too much Wowfactor to survive, apparently, and I can't say "They don't make them like that anymore" since they seldom ever did...to the extent that you get suprised in the ride by notes like leather and patchouli in the drydown and this gets seldom said...

Explorer by Boadicea the Victorious

Explorer - grim citrus

Explorer is a dark, medicinal, camphoraceous, and leathery twist on the cologne genre, but ends up feeling extremely muddied and grim. It starts off with a lasting bitter citrus and is predominant with cypress and violets. (yet again) Initially similar in feel to Complex, but goes a totally different direction with an emphasis on leather accented by tobacco.

The press release said this was an "acidic enervating citrus." I thought it was just bad writing, but now I'd have to agree -- all the life and vitality of the citrus has been sucked out of Explorer, which may be a good thing for many people as fresh and bracing citruses are commonplace. Good sillage and longevity.

List of notes: Sicilian lemon, citron, cypress, orris, violet, tobacco, Tuscan leather, oud

Exotic by Boadicea the Victorious

Exotic - aromatic blackcurrant over a conventional base

Exotic starts off promisingly with sharp and mentholated blackcurrant (aka 'a bunch of synthetic fruity aromachemicals') that slowly calms down to a fairly traditional creamy but airy melange of patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, and just a pinch of vetiver with some dirty musk. A bit chocolate-y in texture, but comes off as synthetic. Exotic lacks depth and isn't lush at all as the name might suggest. Still, it's one of the better scents in this disappointing line.

Sills well, great longevity.

List of notes: Musk, black truffle, ylang-ylang, bergamot, blackcurrant, patchouli, vetiver, vanilla tears, sandalwood

10th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2009)

Complex by Boadicea the Victorious

Complex - heavy and sharp animalic violets and leather

Complex is a mess.

It starts out sharply with animalic (in your face civet) and tarry violets accented by some bitter-sour labdanum. At this point, I get both the basil and sage together all at once.... and it pretty much stays the same with the ingredients in this chaotic blend fighting for your attention, but at the end, the violet, civet/musk, and birch tar wins. Here, the birch tar and labdanum together help create a smoky-leathery effect. It's not as sensual and enveloping as MKK, it's not a 'second-skin' scent like L'ombre Fauve, and in no way is it nuanced or multi-faceted. It's pretty surprising how it remains sharp from top to base the whole time as well. The overall impression is that the creation is rather confused, unstructured, and just chooses to go with brute force rather than intelligence. (which is just a nice way of saying "It's a stupid crap scent.")

List of notes: Violet, labdanum, leather, musk, civet, basil, sage

10th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 August, 2009)

Intense by Boadicea the Victorious

Intense - honeyed fruity floral

Remember how too much of honey could make frags like Miel de Bois suddenly conjure up images and memories of the men's bathroom? (or in a better case -- noble rot in Ginestet's Botrytis) Well, it's back this time in Boadicea's fruity floral, and it's pissed off. Intense is a very sweet concoction of roses, jasmine, and lily with patchouli and vanilla at the base with honey (unlisted) poured all over it. The phenolic honey note is very persistent and remains present until the drydown. Not too loud, excellent longevity -- perfect one for Winnie the Pooh's wife.

Personally, for me, I think it's quite pleasant, but very mundane and boring.

List of notes: Citrus, rose, lily, jasmine, patchouli, vanilla

Noble by Boadicea the Victorious

Noble - patchouli and rose, but for little girls (and first ladies)

Throughout its progression, Noble is predominantly rose and patchouli with a backdrop of what smells like vanillin and ethylmaltol like you may have encountered before in L'artisan's Vanilia and Profumum's Vanitas. The bergamot is very present at the top and lasts longer than most other scents, but eventually fades away. Sniffed far away, the sillage is very liquor-like and inebriating in a good way. Not too dark like other scents in this category, and more feminine than other patchouli-rose combinations.

It's okay but there is a synthetic plasticky note that annoys me. Still, at $450 for 100ml, you could instead purchase Noir de Noir, Black Aoud, and Voleur de Roses and still have lots of spare change. Considering the ridiculous price, Noble deserves a thumbs down. Someone should send Obama a sample of Black Aoud though. We'd have her swooning.

List of notes: Bergamot, rose, vanilla, patchouli

tanto's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

You know what? Curve is not at the top of any "perfumista's" list but it is a real nice scent. It's easy going and not cloying in any way. OK, it's common and ordinary but you can't mistaken Curve for anything else but a male fragrance. In moderation, it smells fresh, clean, subtle, and manly. It almost changes with the wearers own body chemistry. I like it!

bbBD's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

While Bel Ami hails from the 80s it is much, much different from the sterotypical 80s powerhouse fragrance. In fact it's only Bel Ami's distinct masculinity and bold sillage that would cause it to be grouped as an 80s scent, most of which were fougeres and herbal-infused woody/florals. In reality it's unique and borrows from the past while also being timeless. Bel Ami is as unique and successful today as countless other niche fragrances - perhaps it is this very uniqueness that keeps/kept Bel Ami from being a big, popular designer fragrance. While it is typical of the high quality that characterizes Hermes fragrance, Bel Ami does not blend in with the other designers at the mall department store.

There is a massive difference between the original Bel Ami, which is found in a bottle that resembles a cocktail shaker. The new formula Bel Ami is in the same tapered rectangular bottle that Hermes is offering nearly all their fragrances in. The new Bel Ami is a simple leather chypre - competent but nothing outstanding. The unique citrus/leather accord is gone and one need not get too excited about the fragrance. I would rate the new formula as neutral - it's a good, inexpensive leather chypre but that's about it.

As for the vintage Bel Ami formula - one needs to seek it out! It starts with a burst of citrus backed with spices such as cardamom and even a touch of cumin. The citrus/spice combo hints at the timeless Eau d'Hermes while being much richer - perhaps resulting from the florals lurking underneath the topnotes. Within 30-40 minutes the citrus and sharp spices recede into a smooth herbal-backed leather accord which is eventually joined by sandalwood. The spice/leather/wood progression harkens to vintage leather fragrances such as Lanvin Scandal and the vintage Cuir de Lancome. Once again, Bel Ami presents classic accords with a modern twist that sets it apart from its predecessors. The leathery/sandalwood base lasts for a long time, giving Bel Ami about 8 hours of longevity.

Bel Ami isn't for everyone, and I can only recommend anyone give it full wears before judging it. I know my vintage bottle is a precious presence on my shelf.

andyman32's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

If you like woody rose, you just can't go wrong with this. It's lovely. A generous agarwood presence and a sinister, elegant rose. It does have excellent longevity, particularly on cloth. It also has excellent sillage, which, combined with excellent longevity, means that a liberal application is not required. Czech & Speake No. 88 is another nice sinister rose fragrance but I would rate Black Aoud a little above it, simply on the bewitching Oud note.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

The other Un Jardin fragrances that I have encountered were nice ideas, but badly executed. Apres La Mousson plumbs new depths by being almost unwearable.With alleged components consisting of cardamom, coriander, pepper, ginger and ginger blossom, it should have have been spicy treat. Regrettably, the ginger hogs every millisecond of limelight for several hours, and leaves a very unappetizing olfactory ring around the bowl. The remaining notes have been cowering in the ginger's shadow for so long that they cease to be of meaningful use once it recedes. In essence, a bileous opening and middle phase followed by an anaemic forgettable dry down.