Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

My father used to wear this, I often spritzed myself when I was a kid. Reminds me of great times. Unfortunately it is not easy to find it these days, where I'm from at least. So fresh, so pine! Classic that lives and should continue to live!

10th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th January, 2010)

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Sweet scent. I even like it, but there are so many sweet scents out there, market is bombarded with them. A younger girl will fall for a nice looking man wearing this, but the thing is that there are to many kids 18+ wearing this. So if you want to stand out in the crowd and be different, don't buy it. If you like it and enjoy the scent, then buy it. I myself just might buy it one day, really.

shamu1's avatar

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

This is one great pine scent. It does smell a bit like Pine Sol when you first spray it on, but about a half hour later that disinfectant astringency disappears and reveals a beautiful accord of pine and honey (or amber). I love how the amber/honey rounds off the sharp edges of the pine. Pine by itself tends to be stark and astringent, but here, Pino Silvestre has a wonderful richness, warmth and slight sweetness that lasts into the drydown. A nice cedar note also creeps in over time, adding depth. I can't help but compare this to Creed's Epicea because the two scents are so similar: although Epicea is a very good pine scent, I'll give the award to PS, mainly because it is richer and has MUCH better longevity than the Creed. Is PS dated? Yes - you can tell it was created over 50 years ago, because it smells nothing like what is trendy today. But is it outdated? No way - a great pine scent will always smell clean, fresh and current. I have to agree with Odysseusm's assessment below: this is a delightful scent. I also really like the pine cone shaped bottle. All this for only $10 for a 4 oz. bottle! I am really happy with this purchase.

Hartman Design's avatar

Casual for Men by Paul Sebastian

An agreeable, vaguely floral fragrance that stays pretty linear from top to bottom. I can't agree with other reviewers that claim any kind of longevity -- 60 to 90 minutes is about the longest interval I can squeeze out of several sprays. The name is certainly apt, though; good casual scent for the office. So toss the bottle in your briefcase (Bonus: it resembles a small whiskey flask) and give yourself 3-4 booster sprays throughout the day. Thumbs up if only it lasted a bit longer on me...

Hartman Design's avatar

Graphite Blue by Realities Cosmetics

Graphite Blue strikes me as the epitome of a fantasy fragrance: Synthetic (in a pleasant way) out of the bottle, and to me, not clearly evocative of any natural odor I'm familiar with. Seems pretty linear throughout, with a soft drydown melange of tobacco, rum and green woods. Inexpensive, with good longevity. Works well for me in any climate, and in a variety of social interactions. Thumbs up!

pinkfizzy's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

An interesting idea, a sparkling spicy-herbs and lemon chypre. It feels like it could almost be a modern niche scent, given a bigger budget and careful attention. However, it has that old-school synthetic musk aroma that smells a little too much like BO (and worse) to me. Probably not a good fragrance in hot weather.

Although I like this fragrance in small amounts (one spray, allowed to develop), it is very strong and too much can give you that obnoxious guy-with-gold-chains-and-opennecked-shirt vibe, and it does smell very seventies to me, as several reviewers have mentioned. Sort of like something one of my chain-smoking uncles has been wearing for 30 years.

Sadly, this review may have been influenced by the fact that I got this for 9.99 at the supermarket. Oh no, I`m a snob! ;) It`s better than I expected it to be, and it could definitely work on the right person. But I can`t believe the Guide gave this the same rating as Carnal Flower! Well, it is original.

I love the Elsa Peretti bottle! I`m interested to see what the new 2007 Halston frags are like.

Harry Drinkwater's avatar

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

I agree with Connoisseur's review of Metropolis. I love how the leather and green notes complement each other so wonderfully at the top -- slightly medicinal, but that fades after about twenty minutes. Although the leather seems to remain on my skin from top to bottom, it doesn't dominate bombastically; it's subtle, mellow, and dark, always lurking in the background, graciously and selflessly allowing the various other notes to come forth and make their presence felt. A true gem of a fragrance that is, indeed, a rare find. Nothing short of magnificent.

Jack Hunter's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Fragrances come and go but Old Spice has stood the test of time. A good barber shop scent that is better than a lot of the expensive frag's on the market.

Old Spice will still be here when the Le Males and Aqu De Gio's of this world are just a distant memory.

GitRDone's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

It starts out smelling kind of bland...dries down smelling kind of bland...is awful on me...gone in an hour. And of course next to no sillage longevity

wsamuelm78's avatar

Stetson Fresh by Stetson

A very light cologne that evaporates in no more than two or three short hours. Never overwhelming, it smells strongest of fresh mint and is a bit on the sweet side, reminding me of a mojito. Sillage is faint at best, fading away rather quickly – no need to worry about the co-worker always complaining of scent-induced headaches with this one.

DukeOfQueens's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is my first Basenotes review, I got B Men discounted at TK Maxx on the basis of all the hype over A Men, i had smelled neither at the time and it was a blind buy, I was very happy, a unique smell to my novice nose. I recently tried A Men, i had high hopes and they were dashed, it smelled like a cake on my skin, all wrong, How the wonderful B Men can have been discontinued when A Men is allowed to roam free offending the noses of unsuspecting innocents is beyond me.

Hiroshima Mon Amour's avatar

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

This starts with a fresh blast of lime before the peculiar fruity warmth of the pink pepper quickly unfolds. Although first impressions are strongly citrus, the pepper provides just enough of an edge to alert one to the quality of this scent - as has been pointed out, there is a hint of melancholy that lurks behind the bright opening, and this makes for an intriguing fragrance.

The drydown is quick and leaves the limes and pepper to linger over a cedar and moss base that subtly enriches, without ever stealing the show. Overall this is an exceptionally well crafted fragrance and a stimulating (if expensive) alternative to the standard men's warm weather 'fresh' scent.

zulander82's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Been wearing this for quite sometime until one day I realize that the synthetic vibe from this frag doesn't quite please me anymore. Yes, it sure has the pleasing sweetness and the distinct masculinity from the fruit-musk-patchouli combo but upon reaching the dry down, one could not escape the engulfing chemical spillage emanating from this juice. The merit I can give to this frag lies in it's excellant sillage and longevity, although I'm not sure whether one prefers to smell like they drenched themselves in apple flavored chemical solvent all day. Still couldn't figure out how I managed to be loyal to this fragrance for months in a row. Chemical intoxication perhaps!

zulander82's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Who says that men could not project enough masculinity by wearing something that is both flowery and powdery at the same time? This new classic from Dior proves that with perfect blending and skillful perfumery, there are no boundaries in creating masculine frag from traditionally feminine accord.Iris flower dominates this fragrance from the start while leathery accord creates the perfect masculine ambience to counterpart the sweetness of vanilla and lavender in the drydown. The spices in this blend provides the slightly bitter but soft edges that cleverly rounds up this perfume, making the masculinity more pronounced but not overly so. I'm not going so far as to call this frag groundbreaking but in an era where most male perfumes are dominated by grapefruits and aquatic accords, this frag clearly stands out. Plus, the longevity is superb in this one, so you get your money's worth. What can I say, just go and buy this one already.

Lamp's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

My highest complements for Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. One of my all-time favourites and the best male fragrance from D&G (high praise, they have some good ones).

Legendary

salt's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

I couldn't stand this. Even the SA thought it was disgusting. It has that synthetic aquatic note, but it is so pronounced that it's just too much. I don't get how anyone likes this. If you think "generic fresh scent" this is what immediately comes to mind. Gross.

ceelouise's avatar

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

Very pretty and fresh, inoffensive. Perfect office scent. Except no staying power and quite expensive. The same fresh, bright note found in a lot of Ellena's perfumes - it's not a citrus note; I can't really identify it. I won't be buying this, though.

Soulcharger's avatar

Monsieur de Rauch by Rauch

Has been my favourite since about 1974, you can still find some here and there, I bought some in the US and France, great stuff.............

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Strong, sharp, conservative classic! Like Azzaro PH, they don't make such scents these days! Old school definitely. My father uses it, I got him this one as a gift.

My personal favourites are Karl Lagerfeld Classic and Azzaro Pour Homme. Paco didn't really sit well on me.

10th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th November, 2010)

Envy for Men by Gucci

Sweet and inviting. Modern and conservative, but yet somehow casual. Envy for men is a scent with a style. Sillage is quite ok, longevity is moderate - wouldn't mind if it lasted longer. It can be worn during warmer weather but in the evening when temperatures are just a bit down.

It became my signature scent. There is no scent that triggers positive emotions and makes me feel that good the way this fragrance does. This one also reminds me of some opportunities that have presented to me and I missed them. So, this fragrance also reminds me of some things and actions or lack thereof so that I do not repeat them. With this fragrance I came to realize it's not just the smell, but the story you tell, life you live while wearing it - job, family, girl. Nothing evokes memory as good as a certain smell does.

10th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 26th November, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Quite a simple, yet effective presentation of a kind of "terroir" smell: the smell of a piece of land and its associated vegetation. The much-discussed silica or flint note here seems to me really the product of pepper and geranium notes augmented by dry, woody notes, though there is likely some synthetic that tweaks that into a bit more stony vibe. The citrus top seems to acquire a greener feel under the influence of these. Some people complain about sillage and longevity of this scent, but I find the base notes do a good job of fixation, even though the sparkling nature of the top notes does dissipate relatively quickly. This is an intellectually satisfying piece, rather than an emotional one. I can't bring myself to think of it as sexy, but then, they don't all need to be that. This is very good just as it is, when worn for what it's good for. Keep it on tap for cool, uncomplicated occasions.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Aqva marine is more wearable than the original, but this condition has a price: It's a less distinctive fragrance. The main difference is that the original's spice character is absent here. They concentrate their efforts in the seaweed note and added the (nowadays) common "refreshing powder" accord. The melon or whatever note remains the same in the start but is subdued quickly by the notes described above. I didn't notice any increase in sweetness and the longevity is weaker but acceptable.
    I prefer the original and its spicyness (that somewhat reminds me of a less pungent Fendi Uomo).

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Quiksilver by Quiksilver

A cheap smelling generic green scent. Too much green combined as if It was a single note. Reminded me of, at least, a dozen drugstore fragrances.

Francois Blais's avatar

Sergio Tacchini by Sergio Tacchini

My nicest recent discovery!
    I fell in love immediately!
    Soapy-green is what comes to mind, but I'm in total love with this scent, who may become my signature scent!
    (never thought I'd find it someday)

margi's avatar

England England

C'est La Fête Patchouli by Christian Lacroix

Hurrah, another wonderful patchouli. This has fruity notes so not as dark and brooding as some patch frags, but still lovely. Light enough to wear in the daylight hours unlike some sticky, thick gluey patchouli frags. ( Yum) Interestingly, in the UK this is not selling well at all; as most people buying on the high street abhor patchouli, therefore I picked up 2 bottles for a third of the price that I bought my original bottle. look out for discontinuing??? Lasts approx 6 hours on my skin. I cannot detect any vanilla, which IMHO is a good thing. I dislike vanilla in anything other than desserts. Thumbs up on this as I can finally wear patchouli to work without too many complaints!!!

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Well...I'm glad that so many seem to love this, but Muscs Koublai Khan is the first fragrance that I've had to scrub off. The fecal note in this is just too strong for me to tolerate. I am not a musk fan, though, so this is definitely worth trying out!

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Silver Mountain Water is my personal favorite Creed fragrance, and any lover of clean, fresh fragrances would do well to give it a try. The blackcurrant and tea combination is remarkably uplifting, and the subtle "ink" note gives the composition some extra depth; it's really a unique-smelling blend, and it even smells quite natural. Additionally, Silver Mountain Water lasts for the better part of the day on me; while it doesn't have immense projection, I tend to get whiffs of it throughout the day, which I find to be very pleasurable. If you're looking for something fresh but unique and long-lasting, Silver Mountain Water is well worth the investment.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer 2006 by Issey Miyake

I assume most looking into a flanker of L'eau D'issey pour homme are familiar with the original, so I won't go into much detail about that particular scent. This summer edition retains the general character of the original, which I find to be among the finest aquatic scents available; this, however, is lighter and more citrus-y. It may not be different enough to warrant a purchase for some, but it is great for those days when the original may seem a bit overbearing.

Black Aoud by Montale

Black Aoud is certainly a "try-before-you-buy" scent (though, that really applies to all fragrances). The oud-rose combination just comes across as too harsh and medicinal for me to enjoy. It doesn't seem to develop much, either. However, the sillage and lasting power of this are superb, so if you are a fan, you should be able to get a lot of mileage out of a bottle. I'm glad I tried Black Aoud, but I don't like it.

11th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th August, 2009)

Encre Noire by Lalique

Encre Noire is simply an excellent vetiver. Very appropriately named, Encre Noire starts dark and stays that way; the vetiver is black and earthy throughout. I don't mind the linearity, as the fragrance smells fantastic and conjures up some very vivid scent associations - to me, this smells just like the inside of an old, dimly lit, wooden church. Though it wears close to the skin, Encre Noire lasts all day on me, and the gorgeous bottle is an added bonus. Now, if Lalique would just release the eau de parfum at a reasonable price...