Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Giustino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

I'm in italy at the moment, holidays and I saw a few perfumes wich have been discontinued will still a few for sale here, for example Musk for Him by Narciso Rodriguez and I came across this one aswell. Knowing it was discontinued and probally one of the best / better Armani perfumes I had to try this one. A very well blended sensual perfume, indeed awsome for during the nights, going out, dinner etc. I also own YSL - La Nuit de L'Homme wich smells similar, but this one smells a bit more refined and better blended. Amazing sweet and sensual perfume for the nights. Big thumb up!

bentan's avatar

Singapore Singapore

DK Men Unleaded by Donna Karan

A stunning tobacco & suede leather composition with a slight sweetened edge to it. Not unlike the composition of vanilla and cardamon ice-cream but not as gourmand . The basil is not as outstanding which I enjoy worried that it might make this scent a little too green but the warmness of the sage is quite appreciated. For a tobacco, suede fragrance, I am surprised that it smells clean (slightly soapy: L'Occitane bath gel) and very smooth.

My first reactions to this were synthetic-rubber but it smelled so very different from the rest, which made it the first ever perfume in my collection. I still find this a very sophisticated scent, much better balanced than the overly sweet Le Male by JPG which was all the rage in my teen years.

This scent makes a strong, dramatic entrance, almost domineering, quickly mellows down, yet retaining a very masculine and charismatic presence. It remains in the background most of the day, but fully in control. Think of a smoking room when the male ego is at play from the beginning but relaxes as the conversation and the night progresses.

Now, if only I could get my hands on DK Leaded...

Tabu by Dana

Sometimes I need to curl back up in something I wore in the '60s. It is a poignant comfort. Tabu is one of those little comforts. While I don't wear it often, it reminds me of honey, vanilla, spice, brandy and the mysteries of life. The color suits the scent well. It still smells the same, and I still like it- sitars, incense and all.

11th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2009)

L'Interdit (new) by Givenchy

Just gave this one to the Goodwill. Loved the old one, but not this one. How can two things with the same name be so different? I concur with flat and stale. Smells a little like old celery and tired tobacco leaves. Ugh!

11th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2009)

Poême by Lancôme

Remember the Brill Creme ad? "A little dab'll do ya". Good grief! I smelled this briefly on someone, asked what it was, and then bought a big jug. I've worn it twice. During the second and final wearing, I was in a car with two men, one of whom rolled down the window. He would have jumped had the car not been moving. Pretty much that sums it up. It can clear out a packed stadium. Lovely, but only for the briefest of moments. Nice bottle.

Paninaro's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Such a nice bottle indeed. However, the fragrance does not impress me. I must say that reminds me strongly of "Diavolo" by Antonio Banderas. This is not quiet nice or exciting reminder in my opinion.

And the name "Chic" is miles away from this frag, but again - matches bottle perfectly.

I can not judge longevity or sillage because nothing attracted me to put it on my skin...

pinkfizzy's avatar

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

This is one of the few fruity florals I actually like. I mostly get notes of dried orange peel, mimosa, cyclamen/heliotrope, vanilla, and light amber and musk in the drydown. But then I'm not sure what almond blossom and amaryllis are like! Not much peony, which is a shame because I love peony and it's not a common note. I don't find Cinema particularly strong or long-lasting, but it might be a bit cloying on a very hot day.

It has the same sort of "inedible vanilla" that I smell in Kenzo Amour, so people who like Amour might enjoy this.

jbr's avatar

Activist by Body Shop

I discovered an old bottle of this hiding in the back of a cabinet in my bathroom. I had not worn it for years, but I am glad to have rediscovered it. On a quick sniff, the overall effect is something akin to... root beer! Yes, to my nose this smells exactly like a creamy root beer float, or perhaps a root beer flavored candy. An appealing accord, to be sure! Closer examination reveals cinnamon and other sweet spices and what I think is a nice pine note in there as well. This could be a good winter/Christmas-time scent, though is not so heavy that it would be unbearable in the warmer months. This is a very fun, easy to enjoy scent, and it's a shame that it's apparently been discontinued in the US market - guess I'll have to import a new bottle!

In3rtia's avatar

Axe Phoenix / Lynx Phoenix by Axe / Lynx

To me, all axe deodorant sprays have the same metallic scent to them which is overwhelming even in small doses. once you get past the initial scent however, it has a nice citrus and floral combination that smells quite good (much better than everything else in the axe line, in my opinion). Unfortunately, it just doesn't last on me, after an hour it is completely gone

Lamp's avatar

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

Diesel Green is cheap and nasty. I usually like sweet fragrances but this was way too much.

Nothing masculine about this one.

Hibryd's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I have a very serious love-hate relationship with this scent. When it sets right, it smells like a fantasy seascape that can only exist in dreams. It's very elemental, endless, creative, genuinely unique...even mystic.

On other days its passable, and who wants to wear anything thats only passable? It takes on a martini-like, salty-sour kind of quality. Or worse, its offensive; that salty quality can carry a cheap, musky undertone to it; the kind of typical "perfume" smell that gives people headaches.

What I've found is that spraying it a few times and walking through the mist helps to diminish that aspect of it. Nonetheless, it can still get tangled up sometimes and ruin your day.

Its sensitive to weather. It works ideally in moderate to cold conditions, worst when its hot and humid. Interacts very poorly with smoke, but then most aquatics seem to have that problem.

I'd be more likely to wear this when just the two of us can be together, me and Kenzo. While it smells fantastic after its cooled down, it doesnt carry any more at that stage. Also, its too "clean" smelling to attract girls with. Lets face it, sweet/spicy scents get all the ladies.

If this scent was more stable I'd wear it every day; as it is I wear it mabye once a week, and I always kind of hold my breath and hope for the best when I do. Still, when its on one of its good days, its so fantastic that I'm forced to give it a thumbs up. Will definitely always be in my collection, if only for a novelity.

xenocid3's avatar

Poland Poland

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Simply ADG is one of the most popular fragrances, probably because of being fresh and mild. Nothing distinguish. Highly common. But altogether it smells... nice. so it goes nuetral.

xenocid3's avatar

Poland Poland

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

hi.

I don't understand the negative opinions about this scent AT ALL. The opening is strong, for sure, but also it flashes like a early mornin' sunrise, and that is fabulous. Many people think it's femine, it taste like candy, but for me it smeels stronger in fruity-woody way. I wear it at the summer time mostly, cos the scent is very fresh and fits to the evening party time. I've tried 'Joop Summer Temptation' previously, but this is so much better. Long lasting fragrance that attract women.

GabKat's avatar

Jean Nate by Revlon

Been using this scent and after bath splash for decades -- always loved it. About two-three years ago, confiremed by Revlon, they reforumulated the scent and now it smells fusty, moldy and just plain bad. Why did they have to ruin a good thing?

Neprac's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

C-A-S-T-O-R-E-U-M: the back-end of a beaver never smelled so good, no one will ever know though. Wear it with confidence.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

An aromatic and very resinous (rosemary, pine?) opening, then spicy (ginger), for a very dry (patchouli) and somewhat powdery (sandalwood?) drydown. After about 45min the amber kicks in to soften the edges. Yet the whole always stays quite airy, in a montain-forest-ocean kind of a way. I

Though the L'Eau Issey pour Homme theme (top notes and the very dry drydown) is present in the composition, the overall effect of L'Eau Bleue is of something never smelled before. It's not the sort of scent that is appealling right away, it's a smell more than a fragrance. The Eau Fraiche version is easier to wear.

It's not really for me (too dry), but I admire Shiseido for having dared to put something like this on the market.

Love the monolithic outer space bottle.

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Vanilla Drakkar Noir. Nice if it was Axe deodorant. Lancôme you can do better!

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

When Fahrenheit 32 was released I didn't care much for it as I was still under the spell of the sublime Dior Homme. I only redesicovered it recently while sorting my samples.

This is one of the few fragrances for men in which I like the predominant orange flower note (I can't stand Infusion d'Homme and hate Fleur du Male even more). It starts of as a classic eau de cologne, with very soon a strange earthy note (vetiver). This duality is rounded out thanks to the vanilla. Dry and round notes are in perfect balance. There is something that reminds me of suntanning oil, the beach... it's almost salty. The mix of vetiver and vanilla is somewhat reminiscent of Tom Ford's Black Orchid at one point. It's sexy but not in a cliché way.

The advertising is stunning.

Essence by Narciso Rodriguez

Gives the impression of a minimalistic composision (few components). Somewhat metallic and green for the first few minutes. Softens to a rosy and aldehydic (soapy) heart. Later even more powdery white musk. Sort of a very soft White Linen. Quite discreet, clean and close to the skin: a real skin musk. A baby scent for adults.

Essence is longer lasting than I expected.

If For Her is your going out scent (strong and sexy), then Essence is your relax sunday scent.

One of the best bottle designs of the past few years.

Wonder how it will do... as its soft musk notes can be difficult to persieve to some people, especially in a space (departement store) which air is crowded with fragrances.

ComDiva's avatar

Richard James Cologne by Richard James

Richard James EDT is a nice surprise. Somehow I never expected fragrances with leather and tobacco notes to work so well in the heat and humidity. Happy to learn I've been mistaken all this time! RJ on me is a mid-weight fragrance, shadow-dappled and spicy. On my skin it doesn't make one fall into the depths of the notes (I'd originally only seen five listed - suede, Indian sandalwood, tobacco absolute, musk, and oak moss.- and thought "elegant simplicity!" Oops.) But it doesn't feel cluttered at all, possibly because I don't get *any* of the floral notes other than lavender, it just smells goooooooood.

JaimeB's avatar

Daphne Bugey
    Top Notes: Lemon, Verbena
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Hyacinth
    Base Notes: Cedar, Galbanum

This is very reminiscent of green florals going on. One thinks of Chanel No. 19, or even Vent Vert. Then the accord takes on a persistent and unpleasant note of acetone. (That's right, nail polish remover.) I suspect something I've smelled before in other scents that listed a synthetic musk note, but I don't know which one. It doesn't go away for quite a while, maybe 45 minutes, but even then, traces linger. If it weren't for this, I could give this an excellent rating, but I can't really say I admire anything so synthetic and chemical-smelling. On the basis of the objectionable note's eventual attenuation, I'll stretch a point and give it a neutral score.

skinboy8's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

Yatagan is, as many reviewers have stated, unique in the world of fragrances. It is certainly unlike anything I have ever encountered before! Off the top I get a huge, head-blasting hit of wormwood that powers on for a good couple of hours. Yes, I can detect patchouli in there as well, but the wormwood is dense and heady and almost a little overwhelming. It's bone dry - Atacama Desert dry - and it's got balls like a bull Rhino. After said couple of hours, the patchouli becomes more assertive. It stays around for the duration, fading gently as the more animalistic elements in the base start to almost ooze forward - dark, brooding, even taboo. Yatagan is a confronting mix that will challenge your perceptions of "perfume", and is absolute must for the collection of any serious fragrance connoisseur.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I've tried this a number of times now, and I'm still not sure if I can say whether I like it or not. It certainly has a lot of personality.

The top notes, as others have said, are the most interesting part - there's all sorts of things going on, and it manages to be a combination of floral, aquatic, gourmand, and earthy, all with a delectably over-ripe quality ( if you like a lot of "dirty" with your nice, this one is for you ). It's hard for me to decipher the fruity-floral notes out - I smell a jasmine-esque something that peaks in the heart - but it seems anchored in a doughy-vanilla, an aquatic note, that mysterious "dirt" note that some identify as mushroom but smells closer to an earthy vetiver to me, and most of all, patchouli. In the drydown it reached a point where it's simpler, only the dirt, patchouli, and aquatic edge remaining. There is a resemblance to Chanel's Allure Sensuelle, but Black Orchid's dirt note is preferable to Allure Sensuelle's cheese and plastic, despite the otherwise similar base.

The sillage and longevity are truly epic, and as a fan of both qualities, I can tell you it delivers both in quantity. It lasts through showers, baths, and an evening of swimming in the Atlantic. If you get any on your clothes, prepare to have a dedicated "Black Orchid" shirt for a few washes.

As some have said before me, Black Orchid is this decade's Poison. It's big, it's loud, it's complex, and it's a little weird. It's a fragrance phenomena, and well worth trying, for better or worse.

Johnson73's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Millesime Imperial is a bit difficult for me to review. The sample that convinced me to buy a full bottle and the actual bottle I purchased are clearly the same scent, but the two developed very differently on my skin. In both cases, however, Millesime Imperial opens with wonderful, rich, melon accord with a bit of salt water thrown in. This top is the best I've experienced in any fragrance as of this writing. As the scent dries down, it becomes warmer until it eventually settles into the typical Creed ambergris base. So, why the neutral? The top and heart notes in my sample lasted a good few hours on me - after three or so, I could still smell waves of fresh and slightly warm melon periodicallly. However, in my bottle, the scent went straight to the base after a mere half hour, and I don't find the ambergris base particularly compelling; indeed, it even seems somewhat out of place in a scent that is otherwise fruity and slightly aquatic. This could easily be a thumbs up if I could consistently find bottles similar to my sample, but as the one I purchased was one from the newest batch, I can't in good faith give Millesime Imperial more than a neutral at this time.

Johnson73's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

This really doesn't smell like any Creed to me; however, I do find that Wall Street smells like a higher-quality Unforgivable with cucumber thrown in. It's certainly pleasant, and I would wear it if given a bottle, but I would not purchase it for myself, particularly at Bond's prices.

Edit: Well, I thought I had this one figured out, but Wall Street has grown on me in a big way during my last few wearings. I suppose I was trying too hard to relate it to other fragrances instead of judging it on its own merits. Although certain notes bring to mind other scents, as a whole, I find Wall Street to be unique. The cucumber and ozonic notes give it a "crisper" feel than others, while I also detect a melon note that gives it some added depth. While fairly linear, it lasts a long time. Thumbs up.

12 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

photofinish's avatar

Un Homme by Charles Jourdan

An oppressive, boorish, clod scent from the 1970's polyester period, reeking of gaseous musk and cheap red wine.

12 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2010)

Swanky's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

One of the best men's scents in recent years. Although it does initially bring to mind lipstick and cold cream, I can't see this really working on most women, so it's hard to say this is too feminine. After awhile, the lipstick note sits down and a clean machine note steps up, like a well-oiled clock, which may be why some call this synthetic-smelling. For me, it works here. Longevity is excellent and the smell so unique for a masculine that every knee must bow and every tongue must confess: this is good stuff.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Must de Cartier by Cartier

Must de Cartier was a real surprise for me. I had expected it to be a big spicy oriental, but I didn't expect that it would unfold from start to finish in the complex way that it does. Luca Turin basically described it in The Guide as being the perfume equivalent of the ugly leftover chocolates that nobody wants in one of those big box of variety chocolates with strange fillings. While I can agree that the opening is such a cacophany of notes that can be overwhelming at times, it immediately settles into one of the most sensual and animalic scents I've experienced so far. I would say that I tend to agree with JaimeB's review. Yes, there is that looming chocolate-y note that remains from initial application to the warm vanillic drydown, but there are also big notes of leather and civet on me and that's why I'm smitten.

Other reviewers have said that the vintage is much better than the newer version. I have both in parfum strength and have tested them several times to see what the differences are. While I usually agree that the vintage is better, in my case the newer version works better with my skin chemistry. I get very little leather and no civet from the vintage version. On me the pervasive notes are chocolate, balsamy notes, leather, civet, amber, musk and vanilla, but sometimes it can be very woodsy. At other times, this scent can smell a little like Shalimar because of the big vanilla that starts to emerge closer to the drydown. In some ways this is a scent that's hard to pin down because it seems to shift slightly with each wearing, but for me that's okay because its always full of surprises. The sillage and longevity are perfect, as you only need to apply this once and it will last until the next morning. It's definitly a unisex and those who love gourmand scents should try this. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jan Moran's Notes:
    Must de Cartier (1981 Oriental-Ambery)
    Top Notes: Bergamot, tangerine, lemon, aldehydes, peach, rosewood
    Heart Notes: Jasmine, leather, carnation, ylang-ylang, orris, orchid
    Base Notes: Musk, amber

L'Aventurier's avatar

Tihota by Indult

I originally wrote a long, over-analytical review of Tihota. In the end, this is what it came down to:

1. Yes, it's "just" sugary vanilla, and musk
    2. Yes, it might seem expensive for something so simple
    3. But guess what? It's totally worth it.

The quality of ingredients and balance between the vanilla and musk is simply outstanding. Although sweet vanilla and musk is all you might smell at first, I highly doubt that the composition is as simple as it seems. There are probably multiple kinds of musk, and multiple variations of vanilla all blended together to create Tihota's "straight forward" interpretation of vanilla. That's what's so genius about it: the breathtaking simplicity of it all.

This is by far the best vanilla fragrance on the market. I prefer it over the complex and almost-as-wonderful Spiritueuse Double Vanille.

12 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2010)

BlackCat's avatar

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I guess this is a love-it-or-hate-it fragrance, probably based on differing skin chemistries. On my skin, it's a "love it." it starts out with a beautiful, dark red rose. (I get just the slightest hint of rubbery chemical, but it's gone in a minute or two, thank goodness.) As the rose note evolves, I also smell the rosebush's dirt and roots, and just a hint of skank. In the drydown, the rose note grows fainter, but then the wine dregs come out. Delicious and definitely FBW.