Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

Davidoff Adventure Amazonia by Davidoff

I have a sneaking suspicion that this in fact water straight out of the Amazon. Brown and almost completely odourless, it is even more anonymous than the dreadful Adventure. Ephemeral traces of sandalwood and vague fruits are not really the stuff of legend. Davidoff have produced an almost odourless fragrance with minimal longevity. They have called it a limited edition merely to raise our spirits.

bogart's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

One of the best of the best colognes out there.If you can find this do not hesitate to buy it, you will love it

wingsoffires's avatar

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Amazing Stuff. One of the best to use in rotation. Normally you would get bored of one particular scent after a few days. You can stop using this one for a few days and later when you take it out and use it feels heavenly. Very nice notes of lemon and watermelon combined. Longevity is though not the best but still a very beautiful and CHIC perfume.

Eternity by Calvin Klein

ICK. I bought this in college, when it was the "in" fragrance. I didn't like it then, and still do not. Eternity is a good name for it, but it doesn't say "where" your eternity will be spent while wearing it. How about the hot inferno of Hell? It is definately a floral scent, but all I ever smell in it is Lilly of the Valley. No, no, no. Eternity is the reason I cannot, to this day, ever stand the smell of Lilly of the Valley in anything, even a scented candle. Like many other Calvin Klein scents, this one stays on my skin and in my nose forever, leaving me with a headache.

Knowing by Estée Lauder

This is about the only Este Lauder scent I like. I wore it all the time at one point. It has a lovely woodsy drydown. I remember that I wore it while dating a guy about 15 years ago. I had left a bottle of it on his dresser. Years later, we remained friends (long story) and I took a visit to see him at his new house. There was my bottle of Knowing sitting on his dresser. He had moved it with him to his new home! I quickly sprayed it on. Even after all those years, it was still the same great fragrance I remembered. To this day, it is the only perfume I have ever owned that an ex-boyfriend like so much he kept it long after our breakup. That really impressed me. I also took the opportunity of spraying it on his pillow and bedsheets before I left, when he wasn't looking. He called me the next day, laughing, swearing he had dreams of me.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

AHHHH Opium. How lovely you are. Just like the drug, you are intoxicating and addictive. I am not a fan of "girly" scents. I love the powerful scents that mean business. Even after 32 years on the market, this scent still screams "OBEY ME." Not for the playful type of gal. This is for the lady that knows how to demand what she wants.

Harry Drinkwater's avatar

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

Of the twenty-four fragrances I recently blotter tested at a department store, this is the only one I didn't throw away. Three days later, it still smells absolutely intoxicating. I don't believe it's a scent that I would actually wear -- a bit too fruity and sweet for my tastes, but one I adore smelling on paper.

ArkangeL's avatar

G7 Mixed by Gap

I discovered this in my local Marshall's. In the beginning, this is an eye squinter. You're wanting to like it, so patiently awaiting change... and that it does, for the better. You can catch the citruses, musk woods and cardamom. Acting as one, it seems to smooth out into a light and airy, floral ensemble.

Stan Smith's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

The first time I tried it on paper it was totally uninteresting. Second time I sprayed it generously on wrist and nearly suffocated on the bus - I thought that people would give me evil looks for wearing this offensive concoction - too strong, soapy and cheesy. Then I gave it another try... carefully calibrated amount on both paper and skin waited until it dries out... voila!

It has complexity, great longevity and nice silage. It has both qualities of Prada pour Homme and Infusion d'Iris, kind of unisex but who cares - first one to call me girly gets it!.
    Very classy everyday workhorse and with 200 ml bottle works out at 29GBP/100ml

Now I think people on the bus really liked it.

Klont's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Pi by Givenchy

This was once of my first fragances i bought. And I got it mostly by other people's good experiences from it (I don't know whether it was from this site or not).
    When i smelled it in the store it smelled OK to me. But right now it is the fragance I wear the least.

I really agree with the people here saying it is very synthetic.... because it is. Altough I'm a beginner when it comes to fragances I really can't pick out the different notes in there, it just smells like a crazy chemical mixture which has the outcome of smelling like vanilla, which isn't even in there.

Did anyone here get positive reaction from women here? It just gives me a headache right now.

becks's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Variations by Carven

I have the original parfum in a huge bottle. It was a tester I bought for a song. I love the scent — which, like most great fragrances, has the ability to conjure memories of halcyon days. The top notes are a blast of fresh florals and fruit scents. The drydown is a warm woody floral, slightly leathery chypre. The drydown of Paco Rabanne's "Metal" (another favourite) smells very similar to Variation's end notes too.

sheilaj's avatar

Mimosa Pour Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A very fine reproduction of the whole experience of picking mimosa fresh from the tree. A green juicy sappy beginning dries down to the subtle elegance of passing the vase of flowers and experiencing the gentle mossy sweetness of the flower itself. Definitely ne t wear in summer, also maybe one for the depths of a miserable wet winter's day as a reminder that spring will come again.

sheilaj's avatar

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

Cannot believe that none of the other reviewers have picked up the opening note of violet sweets (maybe they are a UK speciality) anyway they are called Parma Violet and are one of the enduring memories of my childhood (still available though) After the sweeties comes the grown up warmth of a bouquet of scented hothouse flowers in a warm room. Enticing and sensual without vulgarity. One of my favourites.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Hm . . .too powdery and sweet though I'm unsure whether the aforementioned "lipstick" or "make-up bag" is the better adjective. Some women will undoubtedly find this romantic on a man they love, though I suspect most would probably enjoy it more on themselves. Class act if you like Iris.
    I think this should have been a signature scent for Lauren Bacall back in the 40's

Nuit de Noël by Caron

So I have chosen Nuit de Noel for my first basenotes review. Although this is a rich and arresting scent, I have never thought it smelled, or indeed was meant to smell, of Christmas. Rather, it was created for the festive season, as something appropriate to be worn at that time of year when you've got a month's worth of parties to go to, and days become nights. I can imagine a big dinner party at Chez Julien... although it's dark and freezing cold outside, it's warm and vibrant, slightly raucous even, inside. And when you step back outside to leave, your Nuit de Noel is like a haunting aura of warm conviviality, insulating you from the wintry night.

For any fans of this fragrance, I highly recommend a listen to Marc Almond's 'Nuit de Noel' from his 'Heart on Snow' album. As stunning as its inspiration!

Chamade by Guerlain

So Chamade was created by Jean-Paul Guerlain, who sounds like one of the biggest romantics of all time. In various interviews, I've come across snippets such as: "a woman should not change her scent too often; her lover should recognize her in the dark." I think that's what this is all about. He wasn't so interested in those top-notes, or even the heart, but that never-ending soft, slightly spicy, balsamic drydown, which also seems to have a good dose of the slightly-scandalous orris butter. And if you're curious what that smells like, google it along with Bryan Ferry.

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

I totally agree w/an_oud_girl's assessment, and that's actually why I like this one. Like most Guerlains, it's significantly different in the parfum version, which is less vanilla-sweet, more amber-sweet, and more of a spicy powder overall. I see this one as an updated Chamade with a strong Roucel signature, and I'd put my money on it being a Guerlain 'classic' in the future.

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

Love this one. Sumptuous, sweet, honeyed-tobacco. DH grew up in the Middle East and says it smells like a traditional attar, as I think any serious oriental should.

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I have a thing for fragrances that smell of lipsticks and face powders. For me, that old-fashioned powdery smell is the absolute height of feminine glamour, and so I was very excited when Lipstick Rose first came out and ordered a bottle straight away. Well, it does smell like a Chanel lipstick, but it smells more plasticky and synthetic than a lipstick. It smells like all of the things the fragrance in the lipstick effectively masks; but here they're on show. Nice trick. Not what I was looking for. For pillowy powdery things, I much prefer N'Aimez que Moi, Arpege and Madame Rochas, to name but a few.

Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have tried nearly all, and owned many, of the Lutens fragrances, and this is the only one that's stayed in my collection. I first bought it on a trip to Paris, and wearing it home on the Eurostar, I literally had men following me up and down the train inhaling deeply (and getting a bit too close in the refreshments queue). That never happens to me, at least not because of my fragrance. ;-) If you put this on and stick your nose to your wrist, it's going to smell awful - a mucky, murky mess. If you put this on and forget about it for a while, you'll notice the truest rose you've ever found in a fragrance, rich and bright, hovering around you over a bed of mossy woods and musk. Seductive in a very earthy way.

Gypsy Water by Byredo

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I picked it up for my husband, as testing it quickly in the store my nose read "juniper, cardamom, woody, male." But when he tried it, he asked "are you sure this is for men?" - which seemed a good excuse to nab it for myself. I've been wearing it now and I think it definitely can go either way, but it is a bit sweet and powdery, which is probably what he objected to. The opening is citrus and juniper, and then for hours it's a sort of lightly spiced crème brulée, drying down to soft powdery/musky woods, which goes on and on and on. This bit reminds me of the Body Shop's old Mostly Musk. It almost verges on cloying as it never really disappears - excellent lasting power, but at whisper level - and it's very diffusive. You can smell it around you, whereas when you put your nose to your skin it's seemingly no longer there. I find myself reaching for it a lot, as it's a warm and comfortable every day fragrance.

Quarry's avatar

Kenzo Amour Florale by Kenzo

How KAF is successful: Uses some of my favorite notes; creates some initial attraction in me.

How it fails: Has that ubiquitous, modern "department store" element all the mainstream perfumers seem to be using; maintains a certain monotony.

Sometimes I just look to the heavens and wonder, "Is it just me?"

rknoren's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

Jicky is the most luxurious fragrance a man can wear. It doesn't last nearly as long as I'd like (edp), but for a brief moment this is heaven.

zztopp's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Notes:
    Top: Grapefruit, green mango
    Heart: Calamus, Lotus
    Base: Sycamore, Incense

The behind-the-scenes story of Un Jardin Sur Le Nil (Nil) is one that rocketed JC Ellena into the conscience of the modern perfume enthusiast. With former fanboy Chandler Burr documenting Ellenas every move along the banks of the river Nile in Egypt in the valley of the Pharoahs, the Hermes marketing machine was in full flow to muscle in on the highly competitive prestige perfume market.

What about the juice itself? Nil is an ethereal woody-fruity-floral with a unique note of green mango, and is probably one of Ellenas most cleanly structured and distinctive compositions. Nil opens with a burst of short-lived sour and juicy grapefruit; the sour aspect leads to a blooming heart of a green mango note. Having actually eaten many southeast asian green mango dishes, the green mango note rendered in Nil is rather good. Make no mistake, its tangy sour fruity aspect is evident throughout the fragrance. I suspect that this is an Ellena sleight-of-hand .. a combination of 2-3 ingredients which conjure the smell of sour, slightly fruity green mangos. The river Nile is further mined for inspiration..a sheer blue lotus note lends a light, aquatic floral scent while the calamus/sweet cane note mainly acts as a fixative, its sweet aromatic herbal character very much in the background. A couple of hours later the vetiver-incense base materializes...the woody, slightly bitter base fills out the fragrance and stretches its longevity.

Heat and warmth are friends of Nil. Although a light fragrance, warm/hot weather makes the tangy-green mango note stand out more, the floral earthy lotus blooms further, as does the woody incense base. Many will dismiss Nil as another light and brittle Ellena haiku, but delving beneath the haiku sketch reveals an interplay of good materials which fulfill the promise of the initial inspiration. With Nil, Ellena can claim to be the Prince of Egypt.

Rating: 8.5/10.0

scentsitivity's avatar

Extract of Limes by Penhaligon's

I am the first person to review this since the recent Anthology Release by Penhaligon’s. One obvious thing that has changed in the current formulation is the absence of base notes. Three of the four previous reviewers call attention to base notes (i.e., sandalwood, leather, musk). The current formulation has no base notes, and that is evident by the drydown (and Penhaligon’s website, as well). The Penhaligon’s website describes the opening as “shattered sherbet”; while I love the picture, this scent doesn’t reach to that point. What starts as a classy lime opening, turns to a neroli heart and then… nothing! I enjoy it for as long as it lasts. It is quite pricey for a traditional lime fragrance. I give it a neutral rating, as I think there are better values out there for this type of cologne. But if money is no object, please don’t let me discourage you!

Agent Zero's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The sickly cousin of Armani Code

When YSL released L'Homme, many of us here were disappointed because it lacked the typical cunning of previous YSL fragrances. However, it still managed to smell good and it's one of those scents that can be worn for pretty much any occasion. But La Nuit? It's mainstream pseudo-oriental synthetic floral at its worst. One spray on my wrist and it almost instantly became oppressively cloying, easily overpowering the Terre d'Hermes I was already wearing (no small task!). The fragrance that came to mind as the closest match to this was Armani Code, only with the citrus (the opening of Code always gave me that Orange Glo vibe) toned down and the florals amped up, only where Code stays dignified and reserved throughout the life of the scent, La Nuit became annoying and overbearing. I'll pass on this one.

Agent Zero's avatar

Aoud Leather by Montale

I'll start out by saying that unlike the other three reviewers for this scent so far, I've never smelled Cuir d'Arabie. Maybe that makes this review less credible. On the other hand, it means I also don't have a preexisting bias when it comes to Montale leather/oud combinations. So onto the review... It's pretty good stuff actually. The leather here is nice and relaxed, and unlike Knize Ten, where leather seems to be buried under a Victorian potpourri, this comes off as clearly leather, like a new couch. Side by side with the leather is oud, reminiscent of the accord in Tom Ford's Oud Wood. It's kinda an unusual combination at first. Most perfumes combine oud with prominent rose or wood notes, but this smells like I sprayed the aforementioned Oud Wood on a new leather couch. Like many oud-centric fragrances, this one smells better wafting off my body than it does when I directly put my nose to my skin; something about oud smells a little off right against my skin but smells marvelous away from it. Not a bad release overall, better than a lot of other Montale Aoud's I've smelled.

BoB's avatar

Thailand Thailand

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

A very classy, elegant and sophistiated fragrance. It has been on my grandma's dressing table for more than 20 years and it really reminds me of my childhood
    with her. A true classic.

rodent's avatar

France France

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

Quite unique modern fresh scent. Certainly retains elements of the original Kouros, but is a much closer cousin of the more dilute, contemporary Kouros Tattoo (i.e., a minty, citrus-y, ozonic and slightly ambery take on Kouros). While this still has the faintest whisper of nasty, it's fundamentally very clean-smelling and contemporary -- the civet is totally gone, the opening weirdness its of its granddaddy is gone, and the heavier heart and base notes (honey, clove, oakmoss, etc) are seriously toned down. However, the disappearance of the civet does make the musk attack a lot more apparent; this is one seriously musky scent, with a sharp edge that its close cousin Kouros Tattoo doesn't have. Theoretically an EDC, but powerful sillage and good longevity thanks to the musk. Very clever update of the original that sneakily abandons the macho late-70s baggage of its progenitor, while retaining its spirit. A slight dial-down of the musk would have made this one perfect. Nonetheless still very good and a wonderful and very distinctive summer juice.

rodent's avatar

France France

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Horrid sharp, thin, artificial juice that doesn't deserve the Fahrenheit brand (and in any case, could anyone come up with a smell that has *less* in common with Fahrenheit than this?) Awful nose-hair-singeing drugstore vanilla, mint and orange blossom blend that may be acceptable on dryer sheets, but nothing more. Certainly different... but once you've moved on from the intellectual appreciation that this is unique and that it performs superbly, you're hit by the inescapable reality of how truly vile this is.

This is the Francois Demachy who created Ungaro II? Did something kill his sense of smell along the way?