Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Chasing the Dragon's avatar

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

Euphoria Men Intense is wonderful. Its predecessor Euphoria Man is totally underrated. I think people get too hung up on the Calvin Klein name and legacy, and so dismiss any scent with Calvin Klein on it as impersonal, uninteresting, etc.

Well that may or may not be so, but if so, sometimes that's exactly what you want! Sometimes "American Psycho" is sexy, right? This is one in particular is very nice and I think it should be evaluated on its own terms. I love it. Sorta reminds me of Baldessarini.

jr8399's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

L'air begins with a pungent (to say the very least) opening of camphorous honey, herbs and spice. After a while, it begins to show its heart of hot sand, sweet, sun kissed dust and spicy cedar. This, for me, is very nice. It is reminiscent of Terre D'hermes - although denser, darker and sweeter. However, while it is well-blended, as no one has argued to the contrary on that, it seems to just barely miss the mark. I mean that the dusty, spicy cedar with hints of amber in the back could have been beautiful - masculine, rich, deep but sharp. Even though the vetiver is present, it just doesn't overcome that hurdle and plateaus into a fleeting, rather mediocre skin scent that I honestly liken to sweet cardboard - which smells aromatic yet stale. I prefer the benzoin in Terre's base because although the cedar in this one is more rich and almost more likeable, the pungency that keeps Terre afloat on my skin is simply not there. And if you want to compare this to Ambre Sultan, just quit. While the two are similar only in unique composition and amber, Ambre Sultan is far more exotic and sensual - and for me, much more addicting and refreshing. But given all of L'air's positive reviews and fragrance blog praise, let Mr. Tauer send you a sample and try for yourself.

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

Not much leather in the opening of this cologne and to be honest not much leather at all. I sort of agree with the_good_life when he says it should be called English Barbershop as it does contain a soapy note.

It does say on the box however that "It has often been assumed that the preparation includes leather in it's make-up but the name actually derives from the fact that leather, usually tanned kid or chamois, is immersed in a special perfume. Once treated this "Spanish Leather" will retain it's distinctive fragrance for a considerable time. Trumpers adhere faithfully to the traditional preparation when producing Spanish Leather Cologne."

So they have stated that it is based on a liquid used to treat leather. I can smell some leather in it but it isn't till the dry down which to me hangs around and smells like a leathery-talc.

All in all this is a very pleasing and sort of light cologne which I feel will see me through summer and winter.

Palicao's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

an interesting fragrance, masculine and well built. it was impossible though to find it a way to place it somewhere or on someone, for me. the opening is quite floral and woody and the drydown is deliciously manly and spicy.
    i guess it's the wise mixture that gives this fragrance its appeal but again it's very difficult to build on it a set of memories or stories.
    it's like is there, it's good, it screams it's appeal and that's it.

then we go to the point of the drydown. the leather is soft, the sandalwood is loud but assertive. it's very faint but it lasts, although losing all the impact of the opening and the middle tones. it's like a music, grandiose at the beginning and then slowly fading away with pleasant and simple notes in the air.
    If I were a real man, I would like to smell like this, at the end of the day. I would like the woods to be my companion when someone kiss me on the neck and being so close to the perfume they can smell it finally.
    it's like being there not for the conquest, but for the conquered. like that last trace of scent it's the final reward before going where no perfumes can stand to stay. in the warmth of a tight embrace.

Palicao's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kourous. A fragrance for the adamant man, for the young greek lost in the mist of time, for the secret lover who wants to tell everyone he was there.
    Kourous. The statue of a temple, the sensuality of dust, the power of faith.

It's such an intriguing perfume... you move your hand and it's again in the air, trying to lure you out of time, in a distant reminder of a lost greek mythopoesis... and the god who comes out of this dark pond it's a marble god, whit eyes of pure dark and lucent jet.

You will be afraid, the opening is strong, the clove is unforgiving, it will strike for your reminiscence of a perfume you probably smelt in the '80, when you were a child and you were powerless and the world was so strong and so real and yet so distant.
    Then the incense will arrive and it will prelude the birth of the young god. the incense will be around always, it will be with you to guide your path to light or to darkness, it will maybe sweetened somehow but ignited by mossy notes but it will be powerful and divine. It will be there, subtle and yet present.

The Sybil spoke, we know the will of Apollo.
    Let's go and live by his Word.
    Until Dionysus will wake up us in the middle of the night to bring us back.
    So the circle will start again.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Ambrosia for an uneducated palate. A simple yet interesting idea, badly formulated and executed. The juicy, fresh and fructose opening is bold, brief and enticing, but the tobacco notes I had been looking forward to failed to satisfy. This is not an accord that conjures up images of Cuban cigars, more the smell of some sticky floored saloon ashtray. It does eventually dry down into something light and warm, but on the whole its too brash to be charming

Story by Paul Smith

Twenty minutes of ingenious perfumery. The top notes are exquisite, with a crisp, wet and green opening that has you begging for longevity. However,the middle and base notes are inglorious footnotes to a wonderful concept. Where the opening is original and compelling, so the middle and base notes are unoriginal and tedious. How I wish that Story had made this a one accord wonder, the opening set to loop ad infinitum would have been a delight. Based on the whole experience, I have to remain neutral.

I am King by Sean John

Would have been better named as "I am Joking". The crazy fruit opening is a tedious note that it seems intent on maintaining at all costs. The evolution and development of this fragrance is minimal, and nothing of interest occurs beyond the first 5 seconds. This is not a genre of fragrance that I particularly enjoy, but this is one of the worst of a bad lot. There is nothing to commend this whatsoever.

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

In its review about GF Ferré Lui/Him SirSlarty wrote that "with a weak sillage I find it to be a scent to wear for yourself". Part of the scents with a strong or predominant note of nutmeg is, for me, more to wear for yourself than to announce your presence to the others, in the sense that is somehow pleasant, but doesn't have "that" sex appeal. Take the "S.T.Dupont Noir" for example ... excluding the top notes, I think is a scent which has a nutmeg character during its drydown, pleasant and a little warm ... close to the skin, like GF Ferré Lui/Him (this is heavier than that Dupont). In Jungle pour Homme we have a long long road until reach what could be a pleasant nutmeg note, and once I enjoy pleasant scents I do not have patience to wait until there. Sex appel? Sorry, I can't imagine it ... and I don't see it as a romantic, serious nor elegant scent. Is, for me, a strong one which should work better during the very cold days. The combination of Lime, Maté with nutmeg and woodys looks unusual but strongly familiar at the same time: it remembers me animal cages in a circus, most of all during its top notes, which take a long time to fade away. During its drydown things start to work better, but still not enough (for me) to enjoy this scent.

Unusual, yes; a criative work, maybe ... But it must be one of the most stinkies perfumes I have ever smelled so far. Like, dislike or indifferent? Dislike, so thumbs down!

Noir by S.T. Dupont

It's a matter of chemistry and/or personal liking. I read out here some people saying that this scent smells cheap, that looks common, and worst (a "vil" scent, for example). Well, maybe I'm new in this fragrance world, because I don't share these opinions. Probably because I fell that it is a safe scent for me and, most of all, because I enjoy it very much. I don't get a clear "mint", because it is mixed, but this note add some freshness to the scent, but just at first. During its evolution the scent is getting warm, by the nutmeg I think. But just a little warm, at the point you may use it during your work day, at the office. Longevity is really good. About how the scent works on skin and clothes or fabric, I agree with "argus wishingwell": the scent tend to ge warmer on skin, but remains a little fresh on clothes.

pansylady's avatar

Frangipani Absolute by Ormonde Jayne

A very soft, feminine and light fragrance- maybe a little too light- it only lasted about two or three hours, and sillage was low- also, it seemed more soliflore than floral/fruity, and this was a bit disappointing, given the interesting menu of notes...

Jhutton's avatar

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

Sold by a company called Fragluxe: take a look at their website and you'll find such gems as not one but two Cool Water knockoffs, complete with the same handwriting--"Cool Dude" and "Cool Off," as well as others such as "Career Man" in a Preferred Stock-esque bottle. Pathetic to be sure, but . . .

But then there's Cuba. It's shocking how good this is, coming from such questionable roots. At first, there's a slight perfume note, almost alcoholic. Once that blows away, I became lost in the feeling of having opened a packet of Amphora tobacco. I don't smoke anymore, and one of reasons I did in the first place was just how nice good tobacco like Drum or Amphora smelled. This cheap cologne gives me exactly that, and more. There's also a slight cherry-cocoa lingering behind the tobacco sweetness. But despite the pipe tobacco scent, it has a certain dryness, more like a cigar. It's almost dusty.

I think it's very nicely balanced with oakmoss, so it's not sickly sweet. No one element is very prominent. After drydown it seems intermittent between the cherry hit, the tobacco, and the oakmoss. Quite flat, yes, but at least the point at which it flattens is a very pleasant and tasteful one. I'll be checking out the other Cuba versions for sure.

Dorian Gray's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Unforgivable...... Precisely.

Planifolia's avatar

Vanille Noire du Mexique by La Maison de la Vanille

Begins with a bit of a tang which disappears quickly. Settles into a combination of soft, powdery and spicy vanilla. A crowd pleaser but not a room filler.

sjmarves's avatar

You're the Fire for Women by Yardley

My wife loved it also and I found it for her on e-bay a few times. I've been looking for the commercial that was on television for it.
    Steve

EYRIGONIOS's avatar

Greece Greece

Vetyver Uomo by Malizia

12.08.2009 just bought the Malizia Uomo Vetyver ( 50 ml ) and is the reason that i became new member in "basenotes".
    Simplicity, clean smell, low cost. Who needs the longevity.....? Not me !

Pouche's avatar

Expression by Jacques Fath

The best Fragrance ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I adore Aromatics Elixir! I find it to be a very gothic scent the way a vampire would smell as odd as that sounds. Earthy, sophisticated, dark, and timeless. I'm 19 and while my friends choose to wear the scent of the moment Aromatics Elixir is what I'll continue to wear and enjoy.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

The reviewer "dannyboy" said that the new Allure Homme Blanche Edition has a similar note. Well, I had this feeling just after spray BLV on skin and clothes; at this moment that Bvlgari really remembered that Chanel. There are not lemons in BLV, and there are not anything "soapy" in Allure Edition Blanche, but a sharp character is common between these scents. Well, this scent is a little "soapy", may looks that you just take a shower and kept some smell from that shower. It is a little sharp and fresh at the same time, but it could be very strong (and cloying) if you overapply it. I'm not going to describe it note by note, I'm not so good to do this yet, althought you may see there are ginger there. So, I can say this scent doesn't scream I am here, and I am bad ... but just I am here, and I have personality. Following this thinking, it will never be girly or something like this. But here I think it will really be a matter of chemistry, so try before by.

My brother was wearing this days ago, and I recognize it. Not so excited about, I give it a neutral.

12th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 07th January, 2011)

colormechris's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Chanel Pour Monsieur is a completely different fragrance from Chanel Pour Monsieur Haute Concentree (or whatever it's called). The second is not some intensified version of the first. Again, they are two completely different scents. The first is a light, citrusy, spicy oriental somewhere between green chypre and fougere...the second is a heavy vanilla H-bomb. The similar names and packaging do nothing to diffuse the confusion and Concentree is the only one you can find in U.S. department stores. Chanel should really fix this problem...and concentree on the original. It is a far better scent. In fact, it's one of the best mens fragrances ever made. I'm sure Concentree, being from Chanel, has its' merits. But that's another review. I'm talking about the CLASSIC now. The version of Pour Monsieur available now used to be called Chanel for Men in the U.S., Chanel Pour Monsieur in France, and Chanel A Gentleman's Cologne in England. Now it's simply Pour Monsieur. I bought this for my father for Christmas in the late 70's (and maybe more for myself)...I don't know how. Surely it was expensive then, too. Although I did get it at Sear's, so maybe the price was a little more resonable (Chanel now seems to think that charging beyond exorbinant prices for their wares is warranted in the current global luxury-mania culture...and they must be commanding those prices...but eighty, ninety plus buck for less than two ounces? Come on!).
    The current formulation spretty much the same as what I recall from back in the day; but the sillage has been drastically reduced, requiring way more application of the juice...(another money making tactic?) But these trangressions can be forgiven when that first whiff of that sublime scent reaches the nostril and one is transported into the past. A personal past, and a past when quality was taken for granted and which Chanel always delivered in its scents. The Chanel scents were a way the masses could indulge in the luxury of the House when they couldn't afford a hand-sewn haute couture item. But a little splurge on a quality scent? Ah, now Chanel Pour Monsieur? C'est magnifique!
    Recently, I have rediscovered Chanel for men. I've tried to obtain vintage on Ebay et. al. but have had lousy luck. I fear it's one of those perfumes that "goes off"...like a fine wine can. Another that seems to do this is YSL pour homme (original). These old school frags must've tended to use more delicate and fleeting oils. Luckily, Chanel still makes the suff; but it's not quite what I remember it being in the '70's. There was way more of a particular note that seemed to last longer. I'm thinking maybe it was oakmoss which is being cut out of so many classics. It's still there, but almost hidden. Or maybe my nose has changed some 30 years later! But as long as it's close enough, I'm happy! Chanel Pour Monsieur is one of those perfect scents that is right for every occasion...classy and fun at the same time. Chanel, Inc.: Please don't ever make it go away!

12th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2011)

naqshbandi's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

When it comes to perfumes I am one who believes that natural scents are the best and this is why I, to date, Joy by Jean Patou (in its pure parfum variety) has to be the most beautiful fragrance I've ever smelt. Simply stunning. I am going to treat myself soon to a large decanter of the Pure Parfum. I shall try the EdP and EdT too but based on past experiences once you've tried the pure perfume these hold little value.
    I'm a very masculine male but when it comes to fragrances I just follow my nose whether it is a 'male' or 'female' marketed scent. Joy is the best.

(If anyone knows of any similar fragrances let me know!)

12th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 13th January, 2013)

Elf's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

This smells exactly like the lemon cologne used on buses in Asia Minor that helps the passengers smell nice and feel refreshed in the morning. It's lovely on those buses, but to pay $100 for it just because Dior slapped its label on it is a travesty. For shame, Dior!

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Rose d'Homme by Les Parfums de Rosine

A very pleasant scent, although it doesn't scream roses to me. For a while I thought it smelled a bit like Zwitsal baby lotion which might be the sandalwood in there. My bf who wore it said it smelled like potpourrie. I liked it because I like sweet and dry scents. A more masculine rose perfume would be Black Aoud or layer Dzing and Voleur de Roses together if you want to give a raw edge to your rose scent.

I'd give it a thumbs up if it wasn't marketted as this dark beast of a perfume.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Rose de Feu by Les Parfums de Rosine

A very pleasant scent. To me the spices take the lead and are smoothed out by the rose that reminds me a little bit of the rose in eau de elide and Voleur de Roses, a bit of a watery rose. In this perfume though it's not dirty but I thought it was a pretty clean scent but with obvious spices in it, a bit of a kick.

Not offensive and a different fun take on rose and spices. If you are interested in spices but you don't want to rush in this could be a great introduction because there is only a kick to it. To me though the rose was more on background but very agreeable with the firey kick to it.

kbe's avatar

Nobile by Gucci

If you are looking for a Tobacco (ashtray tobacco ash, in a good way) fragrance look no further. Tobacco ash is dominant from early Top Notes and right through Middle Notes and into and through the Basenotes, with a smattering of mashed green tree leaf and spice for good measure along the way. This bold fragrance slowly winds down to a moderately sweet patchouli-amber-tobacco finish . As the old song says: "a cigarette bearing lipstick traces.."

goldiloks's avatar

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Makes me feel like a big fat tabby cat, full of rum and raisin fudge, slinking my way over to a roaring fire, to lounge lazily on the fur rug beneath it.

Puuurrrrrrrrr....

melot1967's avatar

Austria Austria

Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber

You can order it directly from their website:

www.farina.eu

eRL00p's avatar

cK one Summer 2007 by Calvin Klein

This begins with a grapefruit tartness to it, and keeps the citrus scent throughout its lifetime. It is very nice, but as a man, I couldn't find myself wearing it too much. I think this is perfect as a woman's scent, just as I have said with other ck one scents (electric). One of the greatest things about hte ck one summer series is that you can find the match for you-- there are many yet only a few appeal to me as a guy.
    This still gets a thumbs up, I would find myself wearing this frequently, and it seemed to last me a long while. This one helped me through spring, yet got too powerful for me in summer (I dont like the lower notes on this one-- which intensify with heat. If you like the entire scent, this is only a good thing). If you like citrus sour scents, this one is for you. The tartness of the lasting grapefruit is what appealed most to me. It also gives off a very nice Clean vibe to it, yet has Zero trace of that soapy smell I come across so often in fragrances. It worked great for me in the colder spring months, and only turned up with the summer heat. Test this one out, if you like it, its a keeper which will continually please.

jenson's avatar

India India

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

Balenciaga Pour Homme: i dont smell anything when i first spray it on..coz my brian gets numb on first whiff..isnt that how you feel whn you have morphine..? so i have heard.. :) Civet..civet overdose with a dash of aldehydes, and honeyed floral notes.. i simply loved this one. when i first received it, it was in a splash format (mini)...the macho that i am, i splashed a decent amount on my palm and dabbed it one liberally around neck and forarms...whoa! for those who have tested this would know exactly how that feels. it's a experience to say the least. very intense notes of honeyed florals and aldehyde with a liberal dose of vanilla (not pods..more like the ice cream itself) with an strong overdose of civet giving it a "bite". the notes may sound like it's leaning towards gourmand, but it's surprisingly not! it stays on pretty gritty for the firts hour or so thereby turning into a remarkably soft floral with a unique combination of Sandalwood, Vanilla, Incense and civet. it was an experience indeed and i enjoyed this scent every last bit :) where is my back up bottle..wouldnt ever wanna be without this one. for a quick reference, it smells like Ted Lapidus for men mixed with Kouros...now, hows that :) only difference, the basenotes is more like Lapidus pour homme than kouros.
    This is for someone who likes scents like Lapidus Pour Homme and YSL Kouros.

13th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2009)

jenson's avatar

India India

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

Did Cachrel with their seminal offering - Pour L'homme; release a scent with one of the most realistic note of Nutmeg...? i'm still in awe of this scent..by the way it executed this note. i would like to believe that they used the natural essense ..but i could be so wrong. is this a aroma chemical...? coz it doesnt smell like one..Basically, i love the smell of nutmeg but, never got a chance to experience it so clearly/explicitly as in this Cachrel release.
    if you have ever sniffed a jar full of nutmeg and i mean 100's of em..then, it's easy. Pour L'Homme smells "just" like that.

13th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th August, 2009)