Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

i like it. oriental sweet but not overly done with good longevity. the only bad thing about it is selection smells almost exactly like it. come on hugo boss. do better.

Sybarite's avatar
    Sybarite

Casmir by Chopard

Casmir ~ Composed by Michel Almairac , is a warm, rich (ahem, very rich !) fruity-floriental, with a lovely comforting "aura".
    And it seems I like it exactly for the reasons a few others "above" dislike and dismiss it. ~ All the "vanilla, vanilla , vanilla" !
    In fact, it's particularly the "triple-wammy" blending of all the "vanillic" notes :Benzoin, Tonka Bean and Vanilla, (with an extra "little kick" from the Opoponax too) which is lending the vanilla it's full delicious richness.
    Now, as for the other notes that make up Casmir. Well, I have yet to come across another perfume with quite as many different "notes pyramids". I have found at least four or five, and they all differ from one to the next. And whilst there is some "overlap" of notes between a few, ... one differed entirely.
    So below I'm listing all the notes accumulated from all the different "pyramids" I found. (They may very well all be correct, who knows ???) ...
    Though I certainly could not smell all of these notes mentioned, and do believe some of them to be incorrect. (I could not smell any Geranium in it, for example. An easy note to detect usually, and one I have no difficulty "picking up"). ...
    So, the notes I listed below (in brackets) are the ones I believe incorrect, or at very least questionable .

TOP : Bergamot, Mango, Peach, Apricot, Coconut,
    .........(Blackcurrant ?), (Raspberry ?), (Lemon ?)

HEART : Mandarin, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Carnation, Cinnamon,
    .............(Geranium ?), (Muguet ? = Lily of the Valley)

BASE : Vanilla, Benzoin, Tonka Bean, Opoponax, Sandalwood,
    .............(Amber ?), (Musk ?), (Castoreum ?), (Patchouli ?)

I did not smell any Musk or Castoreum, and definitely didn't smell any Patchouli either. There is a possibility of some Amber. Although I believe that "ambery" quality to actually be from the vanilla and resins mix.
    So, bottom line : ... As you must have gathered by now, a deep luv of vanilla is a definite prerequisite to the enjoyment of Casmir. And it's also quite necessary to not mind a bit of "toasty coconut", for it's also quite apparent. ... And if you're a guy and enjoy these two notes, then this frag could perhaps be considered "borderline" unisex. But more so from "heart to base". For the pretty loud coconutty/floral/mango assault of the first hour or so, is a tad too "fruity-feminine". But if you can get through that "top", then the "second-half" certainly makes it all worthwhile ! ... The perfect scent to enjoy at home, in front of a log fire, in the middle of winter !

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Bought a sample and tried very hard to get a liking to it. I simply can't understand those guys who claim it is a great frag. On my skin it simply stinks! For my money it is highly overrated and the amount spent on it is 100% wasted. Don't be led astray by the so called fragrance "experts". I have a feeling they're hired by CREED. Yuck!

14 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2009)

Lomani by Lomani

Don't buy it, don't try it no matter how inexpensive it may be. Stinks!

Cadillac by Cadillac

The opening resembles that of Joop! Homme (an obvious disadvantage) but instantly develops into something a bit more sophisticated. Quite nice, considering the price.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Jicky by Guerlain

Jicky ( born in 1889 ) is a difficult love and the difficult loves are the most desired ! Civet, lemon, lavender, incense. Jicky doesn't care if you love it back, it just is. You have to take it or leave it. I have vacillated between horror for the civet to undying love , back to rejection and then always back to love and loyalty - like a lover you know is not all good but you always want more. Jicky does that to me . Guerlain is a special house of perfumery - Jacques Guerlain knew how to weave magic, potency ,love and a darned good story into his creations.

Jicky is three men - the young upstart in the Eau De Toilette - loudly singing his own praises all bright with lemon and just a hint of unwashed skin but still very sparkling in his youth. Jicky Eau De Parfum is full on grown up man who has just got down from his horse, full in his manhood and pride - glowing in his own glorious smell of sex, skin and sunlight. Jicky the extrait is a thoughtful mature man in repose, elegant and sauve but his own skin smell is still there. He is handsome and dark - his face tells the story of his life but his eyes hint at playfulness and sex.

Jicky is also a woman who is chic and french - if not by nationality then by nature . Jicky woman loves being naughty and pushing the envelope - she is also a creative individualist who does not care for trends so much. She doesn't wear for frills and pink .She loves to smoke, drink ,sleeps with her man in the middle of the day . From her exterior the only glimmer you get of her slightly seedy naughty side is in her eye . To others , she is one who is disciplined, slightly cold and haughty and shops at the best boutiques on 24 Faubourg in Paris.

14 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 October, 2009)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Printemps by Ajne

Printemps meaning springtime . An exquisite smooth floral with top notes of gardenia- the opening is very similar to Fleur Blanche . Fairly tenacious ,my second fave after Fleur Blanche.

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This smells like Bigfoot's dick; In a (very) good way!!!

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Really really good, although relatively boring. I think this is easy to tire of, even when only worn once in a while (hot, sunny summer days). Superior longevity. This attracts a multitude of compliments when worn. I believe that this may be a scent that is more enjoyable for others than for the actual wearer. This smells excellent on women.

bentan's avatar
    bentan
    Singapore Singapore

Santal by Fragonard

Tobacco, Neroli and Amber as described by Fragonard blends together perfectly to create one of my favourite scents of all times.

When I first experienced Santal, I was delighted by its very rich woody composition. The citrus notes were not appreciated then, but on hindsight, I believe it did well to cut through what might have turned out to be a linear wood scent i.e. a teak wood furniture shop that would have fallen flat.

Santal is not for the faint hearted, with its powerful sillage. Longevity is fairly ok with the eventual drydown to be a soft mellow sandalwood scent, with the occasional neroli and amber popping up, adding richness and dimension to the sandalwood.

While the name invokes thoughts of sandalwood, don't be surprised that you wouldn't detect it until it is settled into the drydown. Of course, throughout that wait, the tobacco, amber and wood is perfectly enjoyable. For some, it might seem that the first few hours is a challenge to bear. I have received questions about the fragrance well into hours after applying it. Thankfully, the lemon (not a big fan of citrus) remains well in the background.

This is a musky, warm wood scent. Rather than regarding the muskiness as animalic, I would say it's quite a sexy scent. It does help that the shower gel too does not deviate, and adds so much if you ever decide to layer the scent on it. Perfect to be noticed in.

bentan's avatar
    bentan
    Singapore Singapore

7:15 am in Bali by Kenzo

Ooo. Being the first to rate 7.15am in Bali with a negative review is a bit stressful, especially since I do have an issue with the unpredictability of Kenzo. As a designer, he's brilliant. But the brand itself stands for the quirky and the wild which is ok in small doses but I find, very dominant in the fragrances of the house.

7.15am starts off for me smelling like crumpled cellophane paper I used to work with as a kid for art class. A very oily, creamy floral vanilla-ylang ylang scent that is slightly on the over powering side for me. It is however, what I woke up to when I spent a good week in Bali where the morning rain and heat tends to create a rather intoxicating scent.

Midway, the fragrance starts to get a bit aggressive and sharp, with hints of frangipani and coconut milk tea which totally reversed the initial transparency and over time, develops a rich cloying creaminess.

Towards the end, 7.15am hasn't seemed to have backed off, with the markisa (a local passionfruit) element gaining dominance. Unlike the usual passionfruit, the local variety is a bit more sourish and astringent tempered by a waxiness creamy lotion foundation which I picked up from the fragrance. For a moment, I had an image of a very bitter woman, although I didn't know why but I sure didn't enjoy it very much.

Perhaps its because of the heat here, and how scents tend to linger longer on me *even L'Artisan* and hence, I found this too much. Like an overly rich dessert in the unbearable heat and humidity of Bali.

masj78's avatar
    masj78

Mandate by Eden Classics

I recently got this aftershave, as I had not tried it before and I do love it, although I wish it had more staying power on my skin. It is quite an expensive smelling aftershave, but is really cheap. I find it similar to Eau Sauvage by Christian dior and Azzaro, but it has a much less citrus accord and is more spicey and soapy. For longevity I will search for an alternative and continue to use Azzaro for daytime, but use this as a splash on in the evening.

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

I've worn this for years. It is clean and green, and mellows out to a nice powdery finish. I was first drawn to it because it was so fresh and different, and it still stands apart from everything else at the counter. I always get compliments on it.

Eau de Dior Coloressence Energisante by Christian Dior

This IS nothing like Dolce Vita. On me, Energisante starts out light and green, and finishes out smelling like tea and honey. I think it was widely distributed only one year (2000). I saw it for sale at a Duty Free in 2002, and picked some up on ebay a year or so ago, but it is tough to find, so I have to pace myself.

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I like it! I live in a warm weather zone, and it's nice! I may have to pick up a new bottle soon!

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Received a bottle as a gift. Whadda waste of effort. On me it smells like violets and powder. Didn't do a thing for me.

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

My mother-in-law snagged the bottle I bought for my father-in-law, and I followed her lead. It's not surprising that I like this, it shares common elements with my favorites. It starts out fresh and clean, and ends up warm, yet still crisp, on me. This is excellent for warm-weather women's ytime wear.

Apparition by Ungaro

Hmmm-it's not magical or fairy-like at all. I just purchased a bottle on sale, and could not decide whether to crack open the cellophane, or leave it on my 'gift shelf' for emergencies. I read the reviews, saw a few composition elements that were common to my favorites, and gave it a try.

I'm not a big fan of berry-scents; this one is a grown-up version-more like raspberry jam than raspberry soda-pop. I should have left it wrapped up. It's all right, but nothing to get excited over.

Juba by Body Shop

On me, it smells like apricots and JuicyFruit gum. I've noticed that the old edT smells quite a bit different on me than the rereleased oil fragrance.

Feu d'Orange Intense by L'Occitane

It's a beautiful orange scent-layered with spice and woods. I feel very lucky to have a bottle. If you chance upon a bottle of the oil, snap it up!

14 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 November, 2009)

pasha's avatar
    pasha

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Quite remarkable, but it doesn't work on me as well as it could have I feel. Still, I enjoy the scent. Cannot really stomach the first minute of the opening - too lush and supple in its greenness for my taste- but after about 3 minutes, it does smell like heaven. Masculine, yet fragile. Metallic, yet familiar. Sour, but also really fresh.

I like Versace L'Homme as a scent, but I feel like I am the wrong canvas for the cologne to unravel all its mysteries and magic on. More suitable for winter, even though it is quite green which is usually associated with summer. Great silliage, and exemplary longevity. And it still doesn't come off as dated, after all these years since its creation and long-term popularity.

Try it: you will not regret the experience.

14 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2011)

silk4ever's avatar
    silk4ever

Black Diamond by Canali

This scent reminds me a lot of the original, but, with a darker element. It is definitely for those who likes the original and wants a different interpretation of it.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar
    HORACIO GONZÁLEZ
    Argentina Argentina

Joop! Homme by Joop!

BLAH, BLAH,people talk and talk, i respect all sort of opinions, but i love IT ,i really love this fragrance, i know it`s a polar kind , hate it or love it ! but it`s UNIQUE

margi's avatar
    margi
    England England

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Sadly I feel that those enthusing about this fragrance along with a few others of Tom's most recent fragrances are suffering from 'The Emporor's New Clothes' syndrome. Whilst this was very nice once sprayed, smelling of Oud; I was disappointed to find I could no longer smell it after 20 minutes!! I own several Oud oils bought from travels to Dubai, Jordon etc that were inexpensive and last all day.
    In England a 30 mls bottle is retailing for £100. OUTRAGEOUS. Anyone foolish enough to buy is encouraging Mr Ford and others to exploit perfume enthusiasts and making a fool of us.
    Hope you read this Tom!!

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge EDC: my favorite version. this was made when even an eau de cologne had superior strength...or was it to temper certain accords and present it in a more effective way..? whatever the case...HR EDC opens with a extremely well blended, and tightly knit, powdery accord of lemon, rose and spices. the depth this scent has to offer only gets better with every stage as it gets bit more airy and spicy towards mids with a lovely tinge of sandalwood and delicious accord of vanilla..this phase as all of em, is truly gorgeous and simply breathtaking. this ones essentially a floral with superb blend of spices and patchouli all the way towards mids with eloquent sillage. towards basenotes this one turns to be very soft with it's signature powdery accord of vanilla, amber, moss with a touch of Incense. Thumbs up for the EDC version

This would be in the same genrre a PDN's NY or a Creed's BdP. but there is no doubt, HR is the best of the lot.

Habit Rouge EDT: my least favorite version...i gave it 15-20 wearings and it still doesnt agree with me. synthethic accord of lemon pledge welcome you with grit and powderiness. smells like floor cleaner with a raunchy note of animalics. it takes a good 1-2 hours for it to settle dow nto a acceptable accord of citrus with moderate touch of spices. this ones more animalic with tinge of spice, and more of herbs and citrus. Thumbs down for the EDT version.

Héritage by Guerlain

Heritage EDT (Vintage) - Extremely powdery..and i mean "Extremely" powdery opening accords of lavender with citrus..with the lavender giving absolutely no spce for lime to breath..the heart notes, again, powdery to the core, courtesy florals such as Iris and rose..there is a certain, oily, almost resinous feel to it all..the heart notes reveals it;s stark woodiness with musk, amber and vanilla. there is an signature smell to Heritage..somethin which defines guerlain.. This is an oriental par excellence. they dont make it like this anymore. im lucky to have the vintage version..prior to when Oakmoss was still in use. the quality is only evident..and the depth, i can only cherish. saying so, the new version isnt bad per se. get it while you can

Heritage EDP (Vintage): It smells absolutely nothing like the EDT! it's like one wouldnt know they are siblings if not for the name. the EDP version smells more like Serge Lutens Arabie mixed up with Parfum d Empires Ambre Russe. in that, it;s pretty leathery and amber oriented. pretty dry and mildy spicy with hints of sweetness. quality wise? it cud take down arabie & ambre russe down anyday. absolutely phenomenal scent. Get both if you cud :)

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

sparklin citrus with a herbal & woody accord with the heart of a unique, signature accord which makes this scent different fro mother citrus based scents. smells quite refreshing and has good lasting. great for (casual) daily wear.

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Running out of Havana/Havana Reserva are you..? Fear not, Feuilles de Tabac is here to save the day. sayin so, FdT is an original..only thing the use of Tobacco..i must say the explicit use and quality of tobacco used in it is exactly the same as the Aramis classic. only thing, it's stripped down of all the other accords Havana R has to offer. this one's a straight ahead, no nonsense blend of florals, tobacco and animalic notes. extremely pleasant and invigorating to wear. cant wait to go stay at some resort in midst of wild life during monsoons...ummmm.. :) gritty/pungent at the same time realistic & wearable.

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Sparkling citrus based fresh scent with tinge of aromatics and herbs. i totally agree with Gblue, this has that sperm/blood note in it (like secretions magnifiques) underneath those sparkling notes of citrus. but, this ones definitely wearable unlike SM. interesting scent with a twist.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

It’s peppered cinnamon with a soapy heart of rose and leather over a luxurious base Oudh (touch of it) and tobacco. feels plumy and boozy in it's openin accords along with the gritty woody note..but soon turns kinda soapy..Must be the rose. Overall, a luxurious scent. preferably for evening wear. top notch offering from the house of Burberry.