Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Jasper's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

Love the gorgeous opening of roses, the white ones. So fresh and seem to
    drenched with early morning dew.
    Beautiful combination the sweet lush scent of delicate roses with crisp green leaves. Very modern and easy to wear. I think it's one of the best green-floral I’ve ever tried. (Thank you, Aiona :) )

Bigsly's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

I got a sample from a BNer which turned out to be bad. I suspect he bought a mini that has been "reformulated" by the person selling it, who probably used it all and wanted to make a few dollars with a nasty but impotent concoction. Then I got a 1 oz. bottle in a swap, and this was clearly the "real deal," and I suspect the original formulation, because it is definitely animalic but I don't sense much patchouli. I think Luca Turin called this a "cigar box woody," and I'd agree, though it makes it sound simple. Instead, it has the appearance of simplicity, yet is at least complex enough to keep the wearer interested for hours. If you are lavenderphobic, like me, don't worry, because this is not a fougere, and if there is any lavender in here, I didn't detect it. Used discreetly, I'd say it is still wearable, though probably for those in their 30s or older, if this concerns you, of course. If you don't concern yourself with the impression you make with your choice of fragrance, then this is certainly "rotation worthy" (unless you happen to hate a particular note, obviously).

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

Very soft and soothing fragrance which i used to wear for the relaxation of my senses specialy after fresh bath on holidays when i like staying home. Take it if u want to admire yourself not the crowd.

bbBD's avatar

Heliotrope by Etro

Heliotrope is one of my favorite floral notes, and I've got a little collection of heliotrope soliflores beginning to grow on my shelf, Etro being the most recent. Unlike the heliotrope soliflores by Crown Perfumery and Santa Maria Novella, Etro's version adds a little of vanilla. Heliotrope itself has a naturally vanillic-almond powderiness, but it also has a green/floral aroma as well. With the addition of vanilla, and perhaps a little extra musk as well, the Etro version loses the green/floral aspect of heliotrope and becomes more of a gourmand instead of floral (though there is a floral underpinning evident). Even with the vanilla added it never becomes sugary sweet - the sweetness is restrained and balanced.

Of course this doesn't detract from what a nice fragrance this is - just a description. The scent is essentially linear, and it lasts plenty long. The sillage is appropriate for this type of fragrance - specifically, it's average. Too much and Heliotrope would become pretty obnoxious, but Etro gets the volume level pretty much dead on.

A really nice fragrance.

colago's avatar

Poland Poland

Artisan by John Varvatos

The bottle is a copy of the Royal Prastara, so why call it original and cool?

the_tourist's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Urinal cakes and Frank Sinatra's ashtray. Blech.

Allure Homme by Chanel

I liked in this scent,it is long lasting and has an amazing dry down!
    Chanel...

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st March, 2010)

Antaeus by Chanel

I think all Chanel products deserve a thumb up for longetivy a thumb down for their prices so its neuteral,but this one its way too oldfashioned for me to smell like
    yes it is classic and long lasting but long time ago....

Touch for Men by Burberry

I tried this one and even I doubt about how masculine it is,because of the violet on top and the soft powdery base.I like this smell and I was sniffing my wrist for a quite long time 5-6 hours.I find it long lasting for a light scent and pleasant scent
    but I am not sure if I m going to own a bottle.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

My favourite Paco's scent!
    Its a sweet scent with a lovely opening that quickly dries down to a sweet masculine base,did I mention it's totally synthetic? Oh well it smells lovely who cares....

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22nd March, 2010)

Brit for Men by Burberry

Too powdery for me...and I agree with many reviews talking about baby...stuff
    it's a nice scent I can't say it isn't but not the kind
    I like men's frags to be like,prefer much more London!!!

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

This one is my alternative after ADG and L'eau D'Issey aquatics not so popular
    neither as long lasting as Issey but I think its close to ADG with some woods added,I would own this again its a nice summer scent and to me the one I like
    most among Givenchy's.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

My first impression on my skin was very different from that I was expecting to have.I not so sweet as I thought it would be
    I found it very mature and long lasting really sophisticated scent

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 19th March, 2010)

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

As most reviewers saying pine,mint,chocolate?,coffee bad mix to me that doesnt last so long.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I was going to buy it blindly cause of the low price I found a bottle,luckily I tried this synthetic strawberry (dust as SirSlarty wisely mentioned) powder.
    I didnt like it.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I like a lot the bottle and less the smell its sweet synthetic and long lasting.
    By this gold bottle you would expect something more mature but I found a almost bubble gum smell something similar to Le male,good,thats all.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Peppery notes covering everything else,it could be nice and long lasting but to me
    its this peppery so intense to like it.

epicurean's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I never knew if it was the blasting music at all A&F stores, or Fierce that gave me headaches after about 10 minutes. I think it was Fierce, after having experienced it over the course of a whole evening on someone at a party last year. Too bad, because the intentions are good with this woody-spicy but yet sharp scent. In the end, it must be cheap ingredients used that induce headaches, something I've experienced before when non-essential oils are used in diffusers, and not high-quality oils. Anyway, good intentions here with this scent, but as one other critic here has posted, it does smell cheap.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Pi Neo by Givenchy

This could easily have been designed using software, Microsoft Perfumery v1 perhaps. This is lacking in soul, as if no human hand or nose had ever been involved in the process. The expected fresh opening is mild, contrived and uninvolving. At the heart of Pi Neo, is a cool vanilla wisp that blooms briefly, then dribbles away with unacceptable haste. I find it astonishing that this got past the requisite controls to find its way to the marketplace.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

A rather overly emphatic sweet opening recedes swiftly to reveal a dry spiced dry down. Sadly, it is not some spiced extravaganza that has a charming chaotic feel, this is bargain basement spice rack stuff. A thin veneer of vetiver dries the production even further, but overall Euphoria Intense lacks the necessary quality or charm to make it a winner.

shamu1's avatar

Pino Fifty by Silvestre

This is a very good patchouli fragrance. Unlike most patchouli-based scents, Fifty has a distinctively Mediterranean feel to it, which comes from the strong presence of bergamot and mandarin orange. These citrus notes seem to last well into the heart and drydown, probably due to the patchouli and other base ingredients acting as fixatives. Though not an oriental, Fifty reminds me a bit of some classic woody orientals like Creed's Bois du Portugal and de Nicolai's New York, though it's not as formal or stodgy as those. Fifty smells a lot more exotic than those, due to the prominence of the patchouli. My only complaint is that it has almost no radiance. I tend to like scents that stay close to the skin, but Fifty's sillage is pitiful. Longevity is average at best, about 5 or 6 hours on my skin. Overall however, Fifty is a very good citrus patchouli scent that is worth picking up.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

2009 and I'm reviewing Drakkar Noir, the Viking's Dragon Boat. Admitedly, it does smell old, but in a good old-fashioned way. Drakkar Noir is not for the faint hearted, nor intended to be used or treated lightly in today. Pity though, a unforgiving entrance, a commanding presence, but a disappointing act towards the end.

While the mentioned top notes tend towards suggesting a fougere type scent, it wasn't so in my experience. The fragrance was arresting, powerful and commanding with a strong citrus-herbacous wood entrance that reminded me of pencil shavings and old, wet paper cardboard. For a moment, I was surprised to find that element in something that was created in the 1980s. It seemed promising indeed.

Progressing, one finds it hard to disassociate the fragrance with an animalic nature of sweat. It was a dirty, soapy scent no different in nature from Kourous, but different in style and presentation. Kourous was definitely more sophisticated and sexy whereas Drakkar is brute and physical like a group of locker room boys or even medieval vikings. The bitterness of the juniper is outstanding, without the astringency or damp sourness that pure juniper brings along. Along with the sweatiness, Drakkar Noir develops a dark woody, muskiness that is resinous in nature.

Drakkar Noir didn't last very long on me or at least, not with the opportunity to sample the patchouli. It faded into a generic woody scene, which for me, smelled a little too similar to dryer sheets - Bounce (?), except for a slight edginess associated with male cologne.

Would I wear this? Perhaps if I'm alone with nothing much to do, just to enjoy it's history. It's probably worth keeping it in a collection for history's sake. But nothing more.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Its no wonder most people say the Truth hurts.

Truth opens with the typical CK aquatic scent and stays very much like that throughout. Perfect for someone expecting predictability without much dimension.

The aquatic ocean scent is peppered with blasts of leafy greens and citrus fruit, occassionally, picking up an over-ripen mango note. It perhaps was intended to convey a sense of cleanliness but reminded me of dish-washing liquid. It eventually painfully fades into a heavily diluted CK Eternity but manages to distinguish itself with a pathetic lightness. Unfortunately, its sillage and longevity is fairly ok, which makes it a prolonged torture to wear especially in a hot and humid weather. With the dry down, there is a slight wood element as if trying to recreate an brighter Kenzo Pour Homme. Truth however, tries to do everything, but very half-heartedly.

I am reminded of a board surfer running on the beach towards the waves in the ocean, only to trip and fall flat on his face. As with the CK brand, you pay for something, and you don't really get anything. Well, truth be told, it does hurt, and sadly, thats the awful truth with this one.

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

Impressive amber I must say for an amber scent that is not overly sweet, cloying and intoxicating.

The first time I wore it, the instant remarks from my brother was "Goodness, you smell so old". Not that it bothered me.

Ambre 114 was a warm woody scent and it's opening notes does an excellent job to provide a preview of what to expect. The thyme and nutmeg does not shy away in lending a herbaceous edge to the fragrance. In fact, I thought that the bitterness of the thyme and nutmeg very much prevented this fragrance from becoming the typical cloying amber associated with mystical gypsy caravans and ancient harems. The very enjoyable headiness continues well into an hour before the geranium starts to gently appear.

I am impressed that this is a very well balanced scent, with no one single element fighting for attention. It comes across with a cohesive milkiness and ever so slight caramel that totally reverses any preconceptions of what an amber fragrance should be like.

It's longevity is definitely an issue but the drydown of vanilla and ambergis... is perfectly enjoyable, even the warm humidity here. That said, because it is so straightforward since the beginning, and a fairly common basenote composition, it isn't the most exciting fragrance in a collection. I would be curious as to what will happen if HdP had amber featured throughout the fragrance's lifespan as they usually would with some of their offerings.

A-Rod's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Cool Water by Davidoff

From the first time I smelt this of the pages of GQ, I've been fascinated by Cool Water. Im not really into my scents in that way - but this is something special.

Such a cool, breezy smelling scent, I've actually caught girls spinning around in a daze when I walk past with this on.

A classic and will continue to sell like hotcakes..

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2009)

justaguy's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

A beautiful, striking, and almost unbearably complex fragrance. Mitsouko is a flawless classic that gives chypre's their good (and fitting) name. As it opens with its resinous, spicy, and citric opening, you can't help but feel luxurious. Its heart is possibly the most striking part of it, however. As the sharp (yet pleasant) top notes fade, an utterly fascinating chord of peach, iris, and a whole lot of other things that I cannot distinguish come into the light and resonate beauty. As it dries down, it turns to deep tones of oakmoss, vetiver, and musk to contrast the supple and rich heart. If you don't like it the first time, try it again, and again, and again...You'll fall in love with it soon enough-- I know I did.

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2009)

jbr's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

Spicy citrus opening with the "green tea" note immediately evident. This is what I get for most of this fragrance's time on my skin - there is little (obvious) evolution going on here for me aside from the introduction of some subtle florals in the mid notes. Is this a bad thing? On this kind of scent, I would say no. It is expertly balanced - there is nothing extraneous, superfluous or out of place. There are people who find this approach boring, which I understand, but to me, it is just blissful when done right. This is not something I would wear for going out, it is a scent primarily for your own personal enjoyment, and I believe it can be enjoyed year-round - in warm weather, it is light and refreshing, on a rainy fall day, it is quietly reflective, and on a cold winter day, it can be gently uplifting. An amazing fragrance.

Julia941's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I love to wear Old Spice on myself. None of the men in my life have ever worn it, so I don't have any scent memories of Grandpa or anybody else in it. Everytime I wear it I get compliments and inquiries about what I'm wearing. Nobody can believe it when I tell them Old Spice. "How can a woman wear a man's fragrance?" As noted before, it was originally developed and released as a women's fragrance called Early American Old Spice. My skin seems to have an affinity to carnation, warm spices, and vanilla. Old Spice turns into a beautiful, warm, spicy carnation scent, and carnation done right is my favourite floral. I have only tried the Proctor and Gamble version, but recently ordered two bottles of the original Shulton formulation after reading that they are very different.

's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

This is the most unique fragrance that I wear and yes it puts people I'm around in a sexual mood and they don't know why ;) I've noticed many comments about how it has a body odor smell to it and that's true. We all have body odor even after we have just bathed and there is where the sexual scent comes from. Now there is a difference between how someone smells if they haven't bathed in days but someone who is clean and then perspires well then what you smell is their pheromones. It may sound like a cliche but Eau d' Hermes is sex in a bottle and makes no apologies for being so.

robert2's avatar

Germany Germany

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

Very nice, refreshing, young and feminine smell. I can not image anybody doesn't like it. Ok sillage, ok longevity and never to strong. Buy it!