Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

This is the most unique fragrance that I wear and yes it puts people I'm around in a sexual mood and they don't know why ;) I've noticed many comments about how it has a body odor smell to it and that's true. We all have body odor even after we have just bathed and there is where the sexual scent comes from. Now there is a difference between how someone smells if they haven't bathed in days but someone who is clean and then perspires well then what you smell is their pheromones. It may sound like a cliche but Eau d' Hermes is sex in a bottle and makes no apologies for being so.

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

Very nice, refreshing, young and feminine smell. I can not image anybody doesn't like it. Ok sillage, ok longevity and never to strong. Buy it!

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

Very dry smell, nothing special. I don't like it.

Allure Homme by Chanel

Nice fragrance at all. It last's the hole day, sometimes i can even smell it in the next morning. This one was my signature fragrance for about 5 years, bot nowadays i think it's way too sweet for a man's cologne. But the notes are blended very well, so thumbs up!

Cool Water by Davidoff

It smells like soap, high quality soap of course ;-) Nothing special here.

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

Unique, manly, woody but fresh scent for the college guy. The only problem that it lasts only for about 2 hours.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Forget about the AXE commercial, this on is the only thing that will really affect women. The strong petrol/gasoline note makes it intolerable to wear for me, i only used it two or three times. But in those two or three day I got more female compliments than on every other fragrance. Be careful, some people really can't stand the smell and the stuff last's the hole day and cannot be washed off. Powerful sillage, a really heavy fragrance. Hate it or love it, i hate it.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This one is my new signature fragrance and replaced Allure Homme. It's freshness is so nice and it lasts and lasts. I put it on every morning after showering and I can still smell it in the next morning, sometimes it even survives my morning shower. 24h ore more and an shower between for a fresh fragrance is crazy. Sillage ist perfect too, everybody who is standing beside you is able to smell it and it doesn't become too strong if things are getting really close. The smell itself is one of the best things I have ever smelled, fresh, rich, interesting, unique. Because it's my new signature fragrance I asked many people if they like it on me, everybody does! Strong buy!!!

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Nice one, if you don't move at all. If your body heats up just a little bit it brakes down and it smells like old sport shoes.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

Wow, what an unique and nice smell, wow what poor sillage and longevity. 2 hours and it's gone and nobody was able to smell it except hourself. Thats way to short

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Longevity and sillage ok, but it smells like a cheap deodorant plus sweetness.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Starts of very nice, but the sweetness of the drydown sucks and destroys the fragrance. Why did they make it that sweet in the end?

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

What the f..k, this vanilla bomb should be a cool fragrance? No!

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Wow, this one reminds me of a holiday at the beach.. because it smells like sun lotion. Use sun lotion instead, thats much cheaper...

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Best smelling sport scent out there, much better than allure sport and the rest. Heavy sillage during the first hour, poor sillage in the second and third hour. Then its gone, poor!

48Leopard48's avatar

Havana by Aramis

This cologne is second to none , It cries " I'm your cuban daddy with an attitude! Fantasies of swaying palm trees and hot latin babes! Alright I made that up ,I'm now married with my wife,(shes my babe )but this scent just blows others away! I've subsituted Tuscany which I could still get in New Jersey! Was about to buy discontinued Havana on E-bay for over 100.00 dollars, however found Aramis is relaunching Havana in October 2009! Its been years since I had the original ,too me one of the best scents ever made!

Zeppelindays's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Smells like Drakkar Noir. A little to close to have both in your collection. I can't really smell much in this one but lemon and leather. Also, I cannot detect it on myself even after a few sprays. I would say this one is definitely for the more mature, although you can probably pull it off if you are in your twenties like me. Definitely recommended if you would like something very light and inoffensive, as i don't see how anyone would find this scent offensive. A very safe fragrance.

TaoLady's avatar

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

I've never met a Sophia Grosjman I didn't love (White Linen, PARIS!!, Tresor, Beautiful)...they share a voluptuousness and uniqueness that really appeal to me and SMS is one of these.

The peach is not the breathy lightweight of - say - Mitsouko but ripe and summery. It supports the flowers and the airy amber all throughout the drydown on me.

Top notch!

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Decent leather with woods and spices--nothing more and certainly not worth the price. I find it similar to Knize Ten but lighter and not as regal.

Knize Ten by Knize

After all the hype about the rarity and excellence of Knize Ten, the heralded old Austrian gem of yore, I decided to try it. I was disappointed. It smells like tar, leather, and more tar. Also, the florals are astringent and overbearing for modern usage.

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2009)

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Kiehls musk is a very and by very I do mean very floral musk. It is a little creamy, but the fermenting fruit and floral musk is overbearing in everything except the coolest of climates. Certainly more funky if you will than Jovan and Alyssa Ashley. If I were to wear a musk of this nature, I would probably choose Alyssa Ashley.

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2009)

Gossamer's avatar

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

I tried this on my aunt and mother's suggestion, both of whom wore it as young woman and listed it as their all-time favorite fragrance. The top notes are delicious, a very strong floral without being offensive, but as it cools down it can only be described as powery. The lily of the valley is very present (which I like) but other than that it smells almost like wet baby powder. Not terribly offensive, nobody's going to gag smelling you, but it's not something I would choose on purpose.

SirSlarty's avatar

Mat; Male by Masakï Matsushïma

Minimalist herbs. It's cool but warms up after a while. Lightly salted and mint. The drydown is good. It's a very clean, herbal feel to it. That's the part I like. Very hesitant thumbs up as the opening really distracts me from the rest of the fragrance.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

I don't get what all the dissapproving reviews are about. I smelled this fragrance yesterday and of all the fragrances I tried, this one stood out the most. I find it very pleasant as well as versatile. I could wear this to the office, a romantic dinner or and even to something more formal. I found this fragrance soft, smooth, and enticing. I understand that its powdery, but if I know anything about what women find attractive in a cologne, its something that isn't too pungent or sharp but instantly gratifying. The more complex fragrances don't tend to score well with the ladies as often. Honestly, I could understand an older man not being interested in this scent, but I would definitely recommend that younger guys from the age of 20-30 at least test it out (especially if you like Burberry Brit).

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

Chamen's Party by Honoré de Prés

Chaman's Party smells to me like a smokey campfire in the woods. The vetiver is there, but it's hardly noticeable, as the campfire smoke and guaiac wood is so strong that it masks everything else. It's very strange yet surprisingly wearable. Lasts especially long for an all natural fragrance, somewhere along the lines of 3-4 hours. My only gripe is that there is too much ambrette seed (natural vegetal musk) in the base.

A good one, although not totally my thing.

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2010)

Nu Green by Honoré de Prés

The opening is slightly minty and grassy, but seriously only lasts 15 minutes. From then on Nu Green smells mostly like fruit loops and musky pear (this is the ambrette seed, AKA "botanical musk"). It's a playful, youthful and clean musk scent. After it dries down, Nu Green lasts about an hour to 2 hours (depending on how much you apply and where you apply it) before becoming a skin scent, which is only noticeable if you shove your nose into it. Longevity can be increased by applying Nu Green to your clothes.

Overall, this the best of the Honore de Pres line, but I prefer L'artisan Parfumeur's L'eau de Jatamansi and Cote D'Amour to this, as they are much more complex and last at least twice as long. Still, Nu Green is a great achievement in terms of being a well composed, all natural and organic fragrance.

Bonté's Bloom by Honoré de Prés

I only sampled this a few times, and so I didn't analyze the notes, but Bonte's Bloom smells very, very close to how a dry field of grass and sunflowers smells on a dry and hot day. There's even something delightfully discordant in there that makes me think of sun baked skin and sweat, although there isn't anything dirty or animalic going on.

It's a little more mature than Nu Green, and has more bohemian chic to it. I can see this being worn by the kind of person who is free-spirited and concerned about the environment, but doesn't necessarily dress from head to toe in hemp and organic cotton.

This leans more on the feminine side of things, but it's definitely unisex. My second favorite of the line.

bbBD's avatar

Cosmic by Solange Azagury-Partridge

The combination of restrictions on materials like oakmoss and the popularity of sweet notes in feminine perfumes has largely eliminated the 'modern chypre'. Those fragrances that purport to be chypres, such as the reissue of Givenchy III and Chanel 31 Rue Cambon, either contain negligible amounts of oakmoss or none at all and thus are not actually chypres. They only approximate chypres.

Cosmic by Solange Azagury-Partridge is, in fact, a TRUE chypre. The bergamot topnote is true and sweetened by a touch of rose. Cosmic moves quickly to a heart that contains a heady dose of florals. Jasmine is particularly prominent but I also get a huge slug of powdery iris and a good amount of myrrhe that makes the heartnotes very dry. The sharpness of the jasmine subsides as vanilla makes an appearance before the heart yields to the base. The traditional oakmoss drydown is a muted, slightly overshadowed by the florals that slowly fade out - the oakmoss itself is touch sweet and while it's not as prominent as the oakmoss in classic chypres it's definitely present.

This fragrance will not reveal itself via a dab or a couple sprays on the arm - not even close. I enjoyed Cosmic when I first sampled it but it wasn't until I got a bottle and gave myself a full wear that it came alive. The sillage is surprisingly loud, especially for a chypre. Truly a wonderful aroma surrounds the wearer, and as a fan of chypres I enjoy wearing Cosmic tremendously. I won't lie - I was lucky and didn't pay full retail for Cosmic and I'm not sure I would pay full retail even though it's wonderful. Ignoring the price and judging the fragrance for itself I can't recommend Cosmic enough - a must-try for chypre fans.

Notes: Bergamot, Galbanum, Rose, Jasmine Absolute, Iris Absolute, Patchouli, Vetiver, Labdanum, Opoponax, Myrrh, Vanilla, Oakmoss

homme_d'louisiana's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I hate to be negative about a Gucci product, especially because I love Pour Homme II, but this frag. reminds me of medicine or rubbing alcohol. I recently applied some from a tester I was given and couldn't wait to wash it off. Thumbs up on the packaging however.

Adama's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Angel is a strong scent that reminds me of old, musky chocolate.
    Patchouli also makes an appearance in the heartnotes.

100% NOT for younger men.

Despite the critical acclaim for Angel, I still greatly prefer Mugler Cologne.