Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

ChemistRhi's avatar

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

Yep, I agree with that.... when I first sniffed it (on the tester card) it smelled very similar to orig. fahrenheit, only not as strong which I didn't expect.

Then it seemed to just..... fade into something not that exciting, I got a tester card of the original one to compare, and the basenotes were very different after a couple of hours.

Wasn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be..... will buy it though, love the bottle.

Glorious by Gloria Vanderbilt

This is one of my favorite fragrances.. It is a brilliant, tingly, golden, crisp summery cologne. I don't know what it has in it but it makes me think there are only yellow things, like yellow jasmine and jonquil and lemon and daisies and sunflowers lots and lots of sunshine.

1000 by Jean Patou

My boyfriend says 1000 its smells like rotted bra elastic It is a very heavy and leathery violet fragrance. Every time I have smelled it on anyone, I felt someone needed to take a bath. It doesn’t smell “fresh”, if you catch my drift.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Kenzo Flower is almost a copy of of Leutece and Ombre Rose. Magic Dreams is an acknowledged copy of Kenzo flower but I think it is much better. Magic Dreams is dryer and blunter and less sweet and less powdery than Kenzo Flower. Kenzo Flower is overly powdery and cloyingly sweet; Magic dreams is more buttery and has a fresher and smoother dry down.

Golden Autumn by Long Lost Perfume

Golden Autumn was a lovely, golden, leafy, rich cool weather fragrance. It felt like I had on a cozy knit sweater when I used it. In the 99-Cent Only stores, they sell a perfume called California. It smells somewhat like Golden Autumn but it does not last as long. If I remember correctly, Cachet (from Prince Matchabelli, too) also smelled like Golden Autumn.

Jean Nate by Revlon

Jean Nate is a sugar-sweet and powdery citrus fragrance. Very strong, stinging and overpowering.

Shalimar by Guerlain

I want to call this a classic but in all honesty I can't. SHALIMAR goes beyond classic - it's 'legendary'. Many scents successfully evoke scenes, or fragments from splintered dreams. Only a handful tells a story. Shalimar's is an epic tale of a love which knows no boundaries, transcending time and space, even human mortality. You may say such a glorification is only to be expected from a rabid fan of powdery vanilla scents but Shalimar goes far deeper than that. On the right person, I find the effect of this masterfully crafted scent is nothing short of spellbinding! Similar to how Shah Jahan's monumental Taj Mahal is revered by many in the world, I believe this 1925 Guerlain masterpiece deserves its rank as one of the wonders of the fragrance world.

*** This review is of the EDP - enough to make me think of pulling the trigger on a vintage ***

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

A spritz of this and I find myself back in the early 80's, at the barbers. Just what is it about barbershop scents that appeal to us men more than the sweet fruity offerings we get these days? Perhaps it has to do with all the positive associations we attach to the art of personal grooming. The immaculately blended scent smells fresh yet masculine; the drydown is as smooth and deeply satisfying as a good clean shave. And that's what AZZARO POUR HOMME is - a no-nonsense approach to personal grooming.

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2009)

Chrome by Azzaro

Azzaro's CHROME took on the overcrowded 'fresh' genre and gave it a metallic twist. Others might find it too 'rusty' smelling but whenever I spray this on, I feel like X-men's Colossus as he transforms himself into a living man of steel. AWE-SOME!

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

cK one by Calvin Klein

Bright, clean smelling...a 'happy' scent. Perfect for adolescents. Adults however are likely to find CK ONE yawn-inducingly boring.

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I believe my housemate from my university days had effectively ruined this one for me. For eternity too I might add. Back in 1994, this short, wannabe-cool guy used to douse himself in CK's Eternity before hitting the clubs and I still remember getting headaches from it. Well, I got hold of a free mini recently and a whiff of it swiftly brought me back to those carefree days of youth. It also triggered the same annoying headache. Anyway I think '90s just called; they wanted their Eternity back.

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

In the late 1980s there was a chemical incident which became the subject of one of the biggest cover-ups in American history. Scores of people were injured, among them women who grew hysterical while many others were found to be mentally incapacitated albeit temporarily. Only one man came out of it smiling. His name? Calvin Klein.

Frag Bomb Unit was activated; someone had detonated OBSESSION...

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2009)

Chelsea's avatar

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes mentioned in the B Blurb - Ylang absolute , calanga petals, Mediterranean jasmine, rose absolute, orange flowers, oak moss, sandalwood.

Heavy on the ylang there is a definite spike lavender tang in there somewhere, jasmine, this fragrance has a mysterious understated quality to it, kinda like a fighter jet, by the time you are caught in the sillage, the wearer is long gone. Something just a little bit antiseptic, though Not in a bad way though, maybe the alcohol content is high? Between the ylang and sexy oak moss it shimmies in a tight dress whispering "come up and see me sometime" on the skin. The sillage is excellent, longevity excellent. It is a grown up girl's perfume to be sure

jbr's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Mint? Yup, this guy's got it in spades, along with an amazing, slightly tart, slightly sweet grapefruit on the top. I can't get over how great this combination is, which is good, because this particular accord lasts for quite a while on my skin. I do sense the middle notes, though for me they work in a very subtle way, simply adding a new dimension, a nice herbal depth, to the existing mint and grapefruit notes. The woodsy basenotes are more pronounced to me, adding a lovely, light sweetness. As Big Punisher said, this is really a quintessential summer/warm weather fragrance. Wear this while lounging around in your backyard on a hot day. Have a pool, or know someone who does? Even better. Just dip your legs in though - you don't want to wash this stuff off!

HOTRODS BY JP's avatar

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

THIS fragrance I not sure, it sprays on at first kinda weird, but the drydown smells very nice, I dont know if its me or its the scent, I do like the notes there useing, maybe I need to try and use this one more often, or maybe its because I tend to like the more darker scents, but I do like it and Im going to keep it in my collection, this realy is different then what im used to .

rivoli's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

This scent is so deeply sensuously stunningly masculine it should be R-rated! Not allowed to be whiffed by the impressionable! Yes there's the man, the fire, the metallic tinge, the sea,the sky, the most extraordinary haunting evocation of beautiful male at a visceral level, and I cannot understand it. How can a perfume say so much? As a woman, how can I smell this and think of everything you would want a man to be? Its just amazingly gut-wrenchingly sexual, it causes a scrolling of powerful mind images yes, and memories, it is wonderful.
    There must be secret pheromones or something here!

hcr's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

oh god, seriously maybe the worst cologne I've ever smelled. You couldn't pay me to wear this.

hcr's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

Yes very soapy and light, non offensive, doesn't last long....Next...........

Lamp's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

D&G The One is a warm fragrance, perfect for winter. It is sweet but has some spice to it as well. This is the type of fragrance that grows on you more and more after every use.
    Yep smells really nice. Love the bottle too!

Lamp's avatar

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I really like the smooth coffee type aroma of Attitude. However, there is also a certain type of sourness that slightly ruins it for me. It’s a nice scent, just a little off.
    Too bad could have been something great

16 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2009)

Jae_Lamont's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I love it.. Everybody who smells me when I wear it loves it. Enough said....

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Annayaké Pour Lui by Annayaké

Not woody,not flowery,not fruity but...well it's tonka beans with moss.Those who are familiar with the scent of these ingredients will understand.Some vanilla echo seems to come out there somewhere far in the backgound.It seems like there're almost no depth,everything is based on the sharpness and "certainty" of tonka and moss.Must agree on the fact that it's "japanese to the very marrow of it's bones" (not a single frenchman would ever dare to make something like that)although undesputably masculine.Smells nice in a cold weather(been wearing it mostly in winter time).You really must be sure about if it suits you,because it will not do so very easily.

by the way,i'm really surprised that this is the only one from Annayake for men listed here.There are also Tomo and Undo which differ from this one like "night differs from day".

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

L'Homme Essentiel by Roger & Gallet

just very very sweet!and with fruity background.Gives quiet a joyfull and happy impresson.How masculine is this smell?->not very masculine.On a man it even smells like something of a feminine line.Surprisingly the whole composition is not so badly done eventhough others would find it "just another copycat".Would smell best on a hot sunny weather.To compare it just with something-there's been something from HanaeMori for men which smells almost like this one.

baldheadjim's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Classy scent but not old or dated. Works well with my skin. Stays fresh on me even in the south Georgia heat!

Carabruva's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I adore the bottle design, and I want to adore what's inside, but I don't--not yet anyway. And I'm leaving open the possibility that I might love it one day--or at least like it a lot. For the moment, I'm on the fence.
    I just tried this for the first time two days ago. I found it to be nice after the first spray, but waited to see how it evolved. A friend who was with me smelled it and didn't care for it--he claimed that it was missing something. His reaction wasn't my reaction, but after 30 minutes or so I wasn't sure I liked it enough to buy it. After several hours (great longevity, a plus) I was still smelling myself, yet still undecided.
    I think I have discovered that I have a strong reaction to violet. It's the one element that made me despise Narciso for Men, for instance. And it's pretty pronounced to me in Gucci PH II. Doesn't offend, but still stands out. What's funny is that I was looking for a scent to replace my almost empty Paul Smith London. It's my "going to church" fragrance--which means I have to like it, and I want it to be pleasant enough to others since I'm sitting in close proximity to them on the pew, but not so unusual that it would evoke strong reactions from them. However, I really like the violet in PS London, probably because it's balanced nicely by the brandy and is a warmer, softer smell.
    Gucci PH II is well-made and mostly pleasing, but perhaps that's just it: it's too green and too unique for what I'm looking for at the moment. Or maybe I'll come back to it in a few weeks and fall in love.

JDBIII's avatar

VSP by Jovan

I found a small bottle of this on ebay and grabbed it up. My sister used to wear it back in the '70s, and I thought it was wonderful. Sadly, the ebay bottle had run its course long ago. Jovan should bring it back but only if they can work diligently to make it as yummy as it was before. I remember it as being lively and sassy and very green but classy at the same time.

Words's avatar

Central Park by Bond No. 9

Wow, that's gonna leave a mark! Central Park is an extremely Green/Citrus scent with typical Bond lasting power. Reminiscent of an old-school Citrus like 4711, but much more modern and wearable. The Verbena stands front and center here, like no other I've come across. Really classy.

Chaps (original) by Ralph Lauren

back n da day my best friend use to wear chaps all the time. what stood out to me was like a honey and musk scent that was nice

English Leather by Dana

this is still around. english leather reaches out and makes itself known and well known it is.a straight foward scent, no surprises no extras just basically a light musk, woods and a little leather residue. one of those scents that you might get as a gift.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

the introduction is like a bittersweet white stale florals which is very off putting to me and old fashoned. in fact it would be a turn off if i smelled it on a female, wearing nothing would be better. also there is a drydown which is the heart and soul and beauty of datura noir. it gets powdery and theres a vanilla residue also everything just blends together. a nice scent for women and a old fashoned faint smell still tip toes around.