Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Chinacat_Sunflower's avatar

Magnifique by Lancôme

my wardrobe has three faces - the woods, the citruses, and the presents I've gotten from friends who think that I've done the whole Vetiver thing to death...

and heck, Lancome makes Mascara, its perfumes are for the Ladies who Lunch, not the day-glo gardener...

so I was not prepared for my reaction to the sample, I was kinda thinking it would be nice for my mom.

hmm - sun on a cedar shack where someone is cooking jams? red raspberries growing outside a wood-workers studio? something my grandmother would have invented in college, to stand out from all the girls in Shalimar?

I figured it would smell like air freshener on me, but the reviews from friends, family, and the housecats have all been positive so far - my mother in particular is amazed that I don't smell 'like a guy' for a change.

DarwinHoel's avatar

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

This is still available through Dunhill NYC.

I've been wanting to try this so I called Dunhill NYC and purchased a bottle over the phone. They have been having small batches made just for them because of their large clientele. It was expensive but it's also new. $81.11 after tax. We'll see.

Aquatica's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Wow, I do not understand what alternate universe this is where this can be the best fragrance...

I ordered a sample of this and the moment I sprayed it on it smelled like raid, bug spray, tick repellent etc. etc. etc.

One of the worst smells I have ever smelled in my life. I know smell is subjective but this stuff is truly horrible.

Great if you want to smell like you have a high grade bug repellent on.

Fiveoaks_Bouquet's avatar

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

I've read a lot of reviews of Jasmine White Moss on the net and quite often it seems criticized for what it is not rather than evaluated for what it is. In today's world it's not a chypre with real oakmoss, it's not Cristalle or Miss Dior or any of a number of other perfumes, it's not a French perfume by a great French perfumer, it's not a vintage perfume, it's not an indolic jasmine scent. What it is is a citrusy, green, floral, aldehydic "modern chypre" with a lot of zest and considerably more sophistication than other mainstream perfumes on the market today, with a tip of the hat to some French chypres of the late '60s and '70s. The latter vibe is something I thought I'd never smell again in a new perfume. I doubt we'll be having many if any classic chypres coming down the pike any more, and natural jasmine is meeting a similar fate to oakmoss. Given the reality, I'm delighted to be able to enjoy a perfume of today that has some of the elements of the zesty, woody variety of chypre (as opposed to the more smooth Mitsouko variety) translated into a very uplifting and enjoyable scent that I consider among the best of today's offerings.

17 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2011)

smellofman's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Thank God there's still a market for such an unabashedly old-fashioned and masculine clubman's scent as this! I have a great nostalgic affection for Number Ten, since it reminds me of my Polish maternal grandfather, an elegant gentleman banker whose suits were made for him by Knize in 1920s and 30s Vienna. (I sprinkled my wrist with some a few minutes ago for inspiration.)

But I can also see how its bold contrapuntal structure can be off-putting at first. After a few hours the powerful musky-powdery base notes, which overwhelm the sharp floral top notes almost immediately, recede into the background and start to do what they're designed to - keep the whole show going long after your typical effete metro-sexual cologne-type fragrances will have collapsed. When I started to use Knieze Ten many years ago, before the formula was changed to meet European Union requirements, its scent remained on my skin for three days - and yes, I did bathe daily! Like good seasoning in food, it enhanced one's natural body aroma in ways subtle, haunting and restrained.

Although it no longer lasts as well, and starts to fade in the evening, it retains most of its original character. It will always be one of my favourites.

17 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2011)

Griff's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

The olfactory equivalent of the audacious line backer shoulder pads, tourniquet-tight waistcoats, and towering hair of the Dynasty-inflected 1980's, Poison's tuberose-jasmine-overcooked-berry accord doesn't waft gently from the bottle or the skin; it rises and strikes like an angry cobra. There is nothing subtle or mysterious about Poison. It's all about power and total dominance. Poison invades and conquers every space it encounters. Even the tiniest dab on the nape of the neck can fill a good sized dining room like floral and grape juice stink bomb. And yes, it is fascinating at first sniff (much like a corpse is fascinating on first sight) but the fascination quickly turns to disgust, for me at least, and I suspect for most. (on first sniff, I am always reminded of the scene in the Raiders of the Lost Ark where the beautiful white smokey Ark ghost lady's face turns into a hideous skull, just before the Nazi's skin melts away. An apt metaphor.).

Ladies who still love this one, please, please, please consider the the exquisite alternative, Carolina Herrera Eau de Parfum which although it possesses a note structure similar to Poison (and is of the same period), it slowly, softly whispers its creamy floral//green brilliance as opposed to the shrieking, braying monster that is Poison.

Don't come to my party bearing Poison. I will ask you politely, but firmly, to leave.

manicboy's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

This review is for the current EdT formulation.

GV gets credit for being the first Vetiver-based scent. For a number of years, it was the only game in town if Vetiver was your calling. I can't vouch for older formulations or the EdC, but the current version smells of harsh chemicals. First time I wore this, I got a headache. 2nd time, no headache but nothing in this juice appealed to me. It came across as a miasma of green soapy tobacco leaves.

Now that Vetiver-based scents have filled the market strata to great success (see Encre Noire, Malle Vetiver Ext, & Etro Vetiver for some better executed takes on this stinky root), I'm afraid GV doesn't cut it anymore. The students are now the teachers. I'm afraid GV has become redundant. Somewhere, Monsieur Guerlain is rolling in his grave. Neutral rating due to it's originality and creation.

jhershaw's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

My opinion on Lonestar Memories is similar to that about Creed's Acier Aluminium; although the basenotes after drydown are very pleasant, I just don't want to wait through those 2 hours of unbreathable smell.. (but that was just the first try)

jhershaw's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Incense Rosé by Tauer

I had purchased few samples from Tauer perfumes and this vial arrived broken, what a pity! So I had only one try of what was left in the hose. I had expected the fragrance to be more feminine, more on a rose note. My first impression was "It's weird", because it's more "serious" scent than I had hoped it to be. But then, as my whole room smelled from the box with broken vial, I began to like the scent more and more, it's really intoxicating. Somebody somewhere used the phrase "It is a smell I like to sniff to, but not one I would like to be smelled of". And that's exactly what I think about Incense Rosé. I wouldn't wear this fragrance, it's just not for me , but I can't stop sniffing to that vial. I even have "flashbacks" of that scent during day. (I can imagine it on a tall, dark-haired and dark-eyed man in middleage-like leather cloak, or similarily on a woman, with incredible depth in her black eyes and with a rose in her black hair.)

antinous's avatar

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Just tried this today. I like it for it's woody/incense, warm/sensuous but not sweet and cloying impact. It immediately reminds me of the scent of the "Papyrus" candle by IUNX that I adore but no longer available. Still sniffing it on my skin after 12 hours, and loving it. Very refined, which is not surprising for SL.

odysseusm's avatar

Palais Jamais by Etro

Fragrance notes mentioned on Etro card: yerba mate, sambac jasmine flowers, bergamot, cardamom, Arabic coffee
    I mention these notes since they differ from the pyramid notes offered by PigeonMurderer. I’m not disputing those pyramid notes, in fact I am sure they are there (especially the civet). It is interesting to see the difference between the two lists.
    This has a nice aromatic green bergamot opening with jasmine floral notes. The scent is dusky but attractive. Then the “rubber” phase hits, grassy notes from the yerba mate. This is unusual but not unpleasant. Piercing whiffs of violet circle in the background. Then, a slightly sweet and skin- or leather-like note from the civet appears. This component adds a heady, old-school, perfumed character to the dry-down. The civet goes on and on, it is a longevity monster… and ultimately (IMO) gets a bit tiresome. This is not to my taste, though some may appreciate it.

odysseusm's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I suspect there is an error in the BN pyramid. I don’t know what a Pallida is, but Iris Pallida is a type of pale Iris.
    This has a sweet, somewhat spicy opening which seems a bit like furniture polish. The nutty and spicy hawthorn notes mix with the fruity apricot notes. Yet surprisingly, amidst all these warm notes is a cool and airy, almost steely-metallic character. I find this highly unusual, it certainly was not what I expected. The scent is atypical for Lutens, being neither heavy nor opulent. It is too fruity to suit me. There is nothing unpleasant here – and yet I don’t like it (even setting the fruit aspect). It just seems like an odd, and not particularly attractive scent.

Oviatt's avatar

Elite by Floris

This is as advertised: a mature, mellow, woody floral that is built upon the classical tradition of the house but a modern take. It does exude confidence and in fact reminds me of my father in law who has worn this for years and is himself certainly elegant, outgoing and exudes power. There is one note, however, that I cannot quite place--a gourmand, almost yeasty note like some baked good just coming out of the oven. It is like some urbane British captain of industry/bon vivant spent too much time at the bakery......

Oviatt's avatar

Gentlemen's Cologne by Castle Forbes

Gentlemen's Cologne is meant to evoke the bracing stimulation of the Highland air. I think that it achieves that and the result is a wearable, traditional scent that has all of the classic masculine elements: citrus, lavender, sandalwood, cedar and musk. Very British, nothing to scare the horses, suitable for office wear. That may seem like faint praise and while this will never set the house on fire, it is a classy scent that I am happy to own. Just the thing to wear with a kilt!

Notes are:

Top note: Bergamot, Lemon & Lime.
    Middle note: Lavender & Sage
    Base note: Sandalwood, Cedar & Musk

nthny's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

I find Kyoto to be complex, dark, and even mysterious. It nearly gives me a chill in the way it makes me feel as if I'm in an unknown place, like the sensation (not the smell necessarily) of walking alone in the woods, almost Twin Peaks-like in tone.

My first thought when I sniffed Kyoto, apart from the very evident cedar impression, was that there was a coffee note in it -- a dark, somewhat sour, stale coffee note which may have been Duchaufour's way of muting the cedar creating an aged, antique quality. It starts off unassuming on the skin, soft, wispy, etherial, and I can understand why some describe it this way, but at least on my skin, as it begins to dry, the fragrance intensifies. The coffee and woods envelop an accord I can only describe as faintly reminiscent of mosquito repellent (perhaps a result of the cypress oil, teak wood accord or vetiver somehow, I'm just not sure). I haven't seen this mentioned here but the reviews on MUA and elsewhere mention the sensation and one reviewer names citronella which I think is a pretty good description. It's sour, but not off-putting. For me it only adds to the mysteriously calm, meditative aura of Kyoto. And honestly, this is where Kyoto reposes, maintaining this balancing act throughout its duration. Reading the other notes, including immoretelle (everlasting flower) and vetiver, I can imagine the parts they play in the fragrance but they are not evident alone in the composition to me.

I went to Comme des Garcons to pick one Series 3 fragrance and I was almost certain it was going to be Zagorsk based on previous sampling. After some testing, and now with Kyoto on my mind, I decided on the woody, spicy Jaisalmer, but still needed time to be sure. Walking around that day and into the night with all five fragrances on my arms, I was haunted by Kyoto's presence and decided I needed even more time. A week later I conducted the same experiment, left the store and as soon as I walked outside Kyoto gripped me again, transporting me to that strange, quiet, lonely, meditative place, and after about a block I turned around and purchased it without a second thought. I may experience it differently than others but I find Kyoto to be a fascinating three-dimensional fragrance journey.

KingFisher's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Add a bit of cirtus to Versace Dreamer & there you have Guerlain homme, not bad but nothing really creative. It has decent longevity & average sillage !!

Sugandaraja's avatar

Beyond Love by By Kilian

Beyond Love is somewhere in the region between Fracas and Carnal Flower, but somewhat "less" than either in scope and volume. It's a simple and pleasant tuberose, moving from greenish to peach-tinged and musky, but other than that - all tuberose! Unfortunately it's also a rather flat tuberose to my nose, so I can't say I'm awed by it, but it's certainly exceedingly pleasant and wearable.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

add honey, resins and sandalwood to Narcisco Rodriguez for him and you get Fahrenheit...or if you havent sniffed NR..thn simply add violets...i just don't get it. it doesnt last and is an incredibly boring scent.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros is a clove based incense with loads of civet, vanilla and sandalwood. it's incredibly powdery and is pretty amped up in it's incense and civet. vanilla provides the much necessary sweetness and clove gives it a smoky feel.
    A true masterpiece by the house of YSL along with M7 and Rive Gauche.

Brit for Men by Burberry

powdery ginger with prety balanced accord of warm spices with a heart dominated by vanillic woodiness. the mood is bit greenish grey with loads of vanillic musk. would wow most initially but, halfway thru the bottle i fell out of it. it's actually bland.
    However, one of the best designer releases and if you are lookin for budget scent with fab.quality smell, then look no further.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

a "perfect" blend imho. we are lucky to have designers scents as M7 available to us at our local store for a song.
    The mood is sweet, syrupy, medicinal in it's openin accords...to powdery, intense woods and earthy vetiver by mids to an incredibly unique and even more dense and spread out accord of rotten (damp) wood towards base with oudh. it's unforgiving and it's sexy. M7 rocks !

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

once thru the anise laden openin accords, this scent turns lathery..as in fresh shaving foam lather...soapy to the core. this phase is truly something! and somethin it's famous for. The mood is dark and soapy with touch of M7 like use of oudh and woodiness.
    a must have in any wardrobe!

18 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 August, 2009)

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Mogra (a armatic variety of jasmine) amplified! i never "ever" thought the smell of the living Mogra flower would be ever captured so beautifully in a mens perfume, Splendid!
    IMHO - this a tribute to a wonderful flower called mogra (its called so in india and is a favorite with every temple goer). i read this smells synthetic and all that, crap, its so true to the smell, couldnt be better, this is how the flower smells, period. by mid notes - neroli shares the space ands adds the bitterness along with vanilla/sandalwood with hints of animalics done in a very "kouros" way. maybe its the musk too.. lovely scent, albeit not for evryone it seems.

Bigsly's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

This one is special, but I do think the EdP is too much for me. The EdT has the "transparency" that makes it work for me. It allows the notes to spread their wings and engage in the kind of dynamism I need if I'm going to really enjoy a fragrance. There is a unified accord here that just smells great, along with being dynamic, unlike so many others of this kind, which often smell "synthetic" or "heavy." However, you also get teased by the hint of specific notes now and then. Longevity and sillage are just right for me. This represents the apogee of "designer" fragrances, and the EdT is selling at very reasonable prices at "discounters." Unless you don't like this kind of blended fragrance, you need to try this.

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

A 'game of two halves' here. The opening is a really authentic scent of a just made cigar and is dry and strong -- I was smitten. About an hour later though, it turns rather acrid and sour and I have to admit smells like pee. I was lucky I had it on a card. A real shame.

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Along with Versace L'Homme, Lauder for Men is probably the only other acceptable men's fragrance that came out of the eighties (that weren't for yuppies anyway). It's a sparkling exhilarating fragrance and is expertly mixed. Get the oakmoss at the bottom -- I think all 80's mens fragrances had it. It's sort of like Knize Forest Light, but I think I like this better. The only shop I know that stocks this is Harrods in London.

Vetyver by Jo Malone

This is a really true rendition of vetiver in my opinion, which makes a change. The vetiver is surrounded by some subtle spices that never swamp the note. A joy to wear.

PS. JM have a new fragrance coming out in September called Anise and Vanilla and is really lovely.

Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella

This is called Tabacco Toscano and is a lovely almost wet deep tobacco scent. It has a really nice elongated sweetish drydown and lasts well for a cologne. Some class here.

Japon Noir by Tom Ford

I don't get the name at all, but I do like the scent -- it reminds me also somewhat of DIA for Men -- there is definitely something fruity happening amongst the rather incensey spices. Longevity is outstanding on me -- sillage is ok. Some rather nice surprises in the drydown.

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

What does this translate to then? Wood Wood? Woody Wood?
    Woody Woodpecker? It's a big deep wood though and smells pretty good. Reminds me a lot of the CDG woods though, -- Palisander, Sequoia (but a bit richer) and they are half the price, so won't be investing.

PS. The whole range has been upped in price by 10%. Good on you, Tom