Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

F pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

This is one of those fragrances that others seem to like on me more than me. It has a fresh, fruity opening, which is so-so, but the spicy drydown is actually quite nice. I'm afraid F has that generic note going on throughout though, which makes it a bit crude (too much ethyl) and I can't see myself wearing it much. Not bad for a mainstream scent though.

1969 Parfum de Révolte by Histoires de Parfums

A bouquet of sexiness. Gorgeous fruits to open with, moving into rose and cardamon and ending with a spectacular white musk with hints of coffee and patchouli. The sillage is great and it lasts and lasts. Truly amazing stuff and a major turn on.

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Approached this scent with the dreaded 'Sport' suffix, quite preparing to gag, but I really liked the opening notes (am a sucker for pepper) and had a bit of a shock -- well it is a Lanvin. The drydown isn't half bad either, but nothing fantastic. I find this to be more formal than 'sporty' and I wouldn't mind wearing occasionally, if I ever purchased.

Champaca Absolute by Tom Ford

It's very nice, it's very floral and very feminine though. Too much so for me -- wrongly categorised in my opinion.

Aznavour's avatar

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Exactly as described: the jasmine to end all jasmines. Would've been perfect except I dislike the drydown, which to me is like a resiny honeyed musk.

andyman32's avatar

Cardinal by Heeley

I love incense fragrances and that's why it's a bit odd that this one just rubs me the wrong way. The top note is really just a parched, arid, almost bitter cedar smell. The dry down is a little more incense-y but out of my incense fragrances, after wearing it a couple of times, this one just comes out as my least favorite. Another comment included the adjective 'astringent', and I think that's a good one - this isn't a mellow or pleasant incense, it's really more of an old, musty church wood with maybe some stale smoke from incense that was burned in the censer last night. For 'reference' incense frags I go to Etro Messe de Minuit. Some of the Comme de Garcons fragrances named here are great, and I have a few L'Artisan Parfumeur frags - Dzongka and Passage d'Enfer, that are both much brighter and more interesting incense fragrances. Of course there's also a generous dose of incense in Amouage Gold, which will knock your socks off... and a good many more that include frankincense as a major component. I love all of these fragrances, but just find Cardinal to be too abrasive, even when sparingly applied. Oh well.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I gave this one a miss first time around, but after seeing the drydown reviews I gave it another try.

Wow.

I was able to hold out that long because of the green note in the opening, it's like an air tube that lets you walk just underwater and still breathe. Then, about 45 minutes in, the green is gone and this great worn leather smell comes up, faintly, like an outfielder diving for a fly ball and instead coming away with a mittful of hay and flowers. There's not enough of it to get the better of the confused floral (darn), but it's a really excellent scent.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

This is simply great. It's almost too cute to say it sits halfway between Pour Un Homme and Yatagan, but that's not such a bad way to imagine it. It manages to marry up their agreeable aspects, sanding down the Yatagan's ferocity while keeping its dark green, and adding some starch I think is missing from the Pour Un Homme.

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

This one I just didn't get the first time around (happens alot, maybe that's the only kind I bother writing up). It's such an unnatural fruity-woody smell. 8 months later, it seemed kinda OK, great for a sunny weekend and it feels like vacation. Now I have to talk myself out of putting it on two or three days in a row, and I still can't tell you exactly what's making it so great. Maybe I do need a vacation, and this is a cool beach trip in a bottle to me.

pinkmimosa's avatar

Volupté by Oscar de la Renta

It's gorgeous and full. The only thing I can identify is violets, but that isn't quite what it smells like. It is just a beautiful concoction of who-knows-what. I don't even know if all the rest is florals. I can never stop sniffing my wrist when I wear this, it's just fascinating. It's underpriced, for sure.

jmaddux23's avatar

M for Men by Marilyn Miglin

Good Lordy!! If twenty old ladies put on different perfumes, it would be reminiscent to this stink juice. BLECH!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

With an exciting burst of energy, EUPHORIA comes off the starting blocks, only to fall behind the Usain Bolts and show itself for what it is: an also-ran. But is it really? Or was that the right race to be in at all? I'd consider olfactory fatigue if I start to think a fragrance is lacking in longevity for I can assure you, others especially women can detect a scent long after you think it's gone. But in this case, sillage is definitely suspect.

Euphoria needs no apologies for being what it is - a member of the generic, fresh scent brigade. It smells good enough to wear but let's face it - competition will be stiff; it is unlikely to win against the better constructed Acqua di Gio and Cool Water. So I can understand why some Basenoters would give this a thumbs down.

18 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2009)

laral28's avatar

Billet Doux by Fragonard

Give this one a try. This is a warm spicy fragrance, but don't confine it to winter months for that. Instead, anytime you think it would be nice to smell a bouquet of carnations, wear this lovely fragrance. It has longevity without being overpowering. I really love it.

jbr's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Count me as another in the long line of men who prefer the original Light Blue to the relatively uninspiring pour Homme interpretation. The opening is quite sharp and actually downright masculine to my nose, though it softens significantly with all those florals in the mid notes. And those florals, by the way, are quite lovely, especially combined with the apple note which to my nose sticks around for a good while. Like walking through a fragrant garden while munching on a Granny Smith. This is a fun and completely unpretentious fragrance, something I find appropriate for a relaxing day out with friends or simply lounging around by yourself. A contemporary classic for good reason.

jbr's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Anise. Urgh. This note and I just do not agree, and it's pretty much all I get from this fragrance until the drydown sets in. And I do actually find the drydown to be quite pleasant, with some smoky coffee and subtle chocolate notes lending it a slightly gourmand-ish feel. The anise overload in the beginning is just way too much for me to bear. Not for me.

Kitty_'s avatar

1965 by Carnival Wax - Agatha Blois

When you first apply this it conjures memories of some nasty old fashioned antiseptic being applied to your grazed knees in the school sick room..... Fortunately this quickly passes and then here comes the gingerbread man!
    He is 6 feet tall.
    This fragrance reminds me of Christmas.
    I smell ginger, cloves, nutmeg, whisky, pepper and maybe wood, smoke and dried fruit.
    There is something else in the blend that is intruiging...not sure what it is but it keeps you curious and makes you want to sniff again
    Spicy, sweet, dark and yummy!
    This is definitely a gourmand. It is oily, projects quite well and lasts at least 5 hours at good strength, probably more.
    Highly unusual!
    Not sure if I'd wear this out but I'm gonna give it a positive as i believe it is an interesting and well crafted perfume that some people will really like.

clockwiser's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I like Cool Water more and more, its really growing into this fragrance. It is a very fresh and "cool" fragrance that does not get boring as time goes by.

Happy for Men by Clinique

Great fruity smell, not for everyone but I like it. Who say men have to smell like toilet cleaner.. I'd prefer to smell fruity and sweet. ;-)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Yes it's strong.. deal with it!
    In small doses it's fine, and is miles better than the hugo/boss' of this world.

Nightflight by Joop!

Very underrated. It's not on sell in the shops (their loss!). Got 75ml aftershave bottle from cheapsmells.com for £15. It's a very fresh and fruity scent.

Nicole Farhi Homme by Nicole Farhi

Err... the first hour is really bad.. really bad, but dry down is so much better however. A real shame.. if it were not for the opening this could be a winner.
    Try before you buy! (this was a blind buy... makes good toilet cleaner)

cK one Summer 2009 by Calvin Klein

99% of CK fragrances are boring and pointless (to me anyway) but if you must buy a CK scent try CK one summer. A 99% improvement on any of the other CKs!

scentfromabove's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Although I like the clean scent, this was, unfortunately, a complete waste of money. No sooner is it on then it completely disappears without a trace. I also have Creed's Vetiver and, though more expensive, it was worth the money!

Berstin Fyr's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

An unusual fragrance. It starts with an intense burst of sweet, dry-pressed lavender which is almost sickly but somehow relieved by a blast of cinnamon roll and spices from mulled wine. It also has a limey, vanilla note. The strange thing is that it has a hint of sick but something warm and faintly familiar. I am not sure I would recommend this as it is discordant and does not work for me.

Berstin Fyr's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is like Bond walking amongst the ruins of ancient Egypt. It has a refined warmth and elegance and is very understated. You need to get close to get a whiff. And when you do, you find an ancient leather satchel being carried by a killer in a spice market.

vulkandeathgrip's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop has always been my original favorite. I bought a bottle about 4 years ago and today i still have about 3/4 of it left because all you need is one spray and it lasts on you for the whole day. The smell is only overwhelming when you spray too much on but overall i think it smell very pleasant especially in cold weather.

macca's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

drakkar is a good fragrance but what i like about it is that its hard to find in england so nobody is going to have my scent

ortho123's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I worked with someone who said he wore this stuff. In the same conversation, he mentioned somewhat nostalgically but at the same time with an air of condescension that his now deceased father had only worn Aramis, as if feeling sorry for the man.

His father had better taste.

Synthetic fans rejoice! A fake apple mess.

18 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th June, 2011)

naqshbandi's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Hi.
    My review of Fracas: when I first opened the bottle and smelt it it was like smelling Arabic perfume oils, quite potent but nothing special. Then after applying quite a few dabs on my neck and wrists I waited. A few minutes later there was an explosion of scent so powerful it made my head spin! I really loved the smell although it was for a few minutes almost overwhelmingly potent. Later it settled down to a warm, fragrant, almost musty smell and eight hours later is still on me. I don't think I'll ever forget that initial explosion! Wow.

18 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2012)

Blu by Bulgari

I barely smell the ginger in this one – I get a big floral accord that is dominated by wisteria and carries a powdery background. It reminds me of Bulgari Blu for men without the ginger, and in that sense, I much prefer this except that this one is very feminine with its powdery florals. Besides boasting florals, the fragrance’s powder is white musky and vanilla, and it smells to me like a feminine talcum powder. It’s a linear fragrance with little variations except that it gets more powdery as it progresses.

If it weren’t for the fact that I am used to Bulgari Blu for Men, I think I would be impressed by this fragrance and call it a wonderful feminine floral / spice offering. But I do own the men’s version and I am aware of how deceivingly strong that similar scent is to this and how it is so easy to grow to dislike it. I guess my prejudice makes my vote on Bulgari Blu EDP a neutral.

19 August, 2009