Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Royal Briar by Atkinsons

This review is of the Carroll & Company’s version of the original Atkinson’s Royal Briar. I have never tried the original, but I am assuming that this is an adequate representation of it.

Royal Briar is unusual to me: there are similarities to other men’s colognes of the past, but there is something in it that separates it from anything else I’ve experienced. I can’t say it reminds me of any particular men’s cologne, but it is without a doubt, recognizably masculine. It starts out alcoholy, but that is just temporary. It quickly becomes quite woody, and I can’t tell if there are any of the usual opening citrus notes because the woodnotes dominate so strongly. There are some notes that smooth out the woods but never seem to show their own smell – probably flora, orl possibly a smooth low-key spice like mace – the woodnotes are at the fore, and there is a half resinous / half aromatic wood-like note in the background. The fragrance ends on a soft, pleasant, masculine, somewhat powdery opoponax and amber base.

I enjoy this scent very much. It is well balanced, masculine and discreet. It seems to have a bit of a problem lasting on my skin, but it is an excellent fragrance and its $25. 00 price can’t be beat.

Acqua di Biella No. 1 by Acqua di Biella

Lots of citrus and citrus-like notes in this one, and the accords are quite spectacular. The herbals used in conjunction with the citrus augment the citruses almost silently, leaving the impression that it’s all about citrus… but it isn’t all about citrus, it’s about richness and delicate variance in the citrus accords: It is as beautiful use of citrus as I’ve seen… Unfortunately, the beauty lasts all of ten minutes, and the fragrance becomes an uninteresting, extremely soft skin scent that lasts another half hour on my skin. I understand the concept of sandcastles, but I’m not into sandcastles built on the shore as the tide is coming in… This fragrance needs to last longer…

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

A poorly conceived and hastily developed flanker. They took the metallic component of Chrome and added many of the minor “fashionable” notes that have appeared recently in other empty fragrance introductions of the past few years: It has apple, “aquatic note,” tea, maté, and Embruns (whatever that is). Then they called it “Legend.” “Legend” as if there is some sort of history and future to it: there isn’t... not in the real world. What does it smell like? I would label it “Chrome Defiled.” The metallic note of Chrome has lost its special appeal because it is bastardized by being combined with the other notes, rather than standing on its own. The apple note is just as synthetic as you would imagine the combination of “apple” and metallic would be. “Maté”? I don’t smell it. Embruns sea spray?… well, Legend DOES smell saltier than Chrome… big deal. The result is a mish-mash of a fragrance with no direction or purpose except as a desperate and inferior product extension to a successful product. I would say that these product extensions do not often work, and Chrome Legend supports my view.

JaimeB's avatar

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very nice. The pine needles are fun, but to my nose, what makes the scent are the unspecified spice notes. The woody oriental drydown works very well with this set of notes, as does the sap note, which lends a touch of sweetness. Some sources list fruit notes in this, but I don't get that out of it. I think it's the sap notes that are pushing the sweet thing, along with some sweet spices. Characterized by considerable longevity and decent sillage.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer

Well, I've had to revise this review sooner than expected...! A few more wearings have given me an altogether different impression than I first had.

The top notes are a rather heavy, opaque citrus-geranium-rose, the accord reminding me strongly of palmarosa. There is something dark and oriental that seems to weigh down the top. The citrus notes are not of the effervescent cologne variety, and a head-to-toe darkness defines the fragrance. In the drydown, a rich naturalistic rose and geranium seem to merge with the smoky, syrupy amber note some have dubbed the "Tauerade", together with a spicy side that lingers on the edge of identification There is some moss in the base, but its not really detectable as an individual presence, rather it's a matte background on which the fragrance is layered on top of. Those familiar with the older Caron and Guerlain parfums will recognize the "feel". That being said, this is as much an oriental as a chypre, if not more.

On my skin, this acts very much like a parfum - great longevity; weak sillage. In fact, a little too weak for me, as it stays a skin scent after the first few hours.

Chypre Rose is easily my favorite Tauer creation, and I think its also his most complex and interesting fragrance to date. I see a steady evolution from the rather simple and brash Le Maroc, to the subtler and more well rounded Incense Rose, to this, a very refined and multifaceted treatment of the note.

19 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 August, 2009)

bokaba's avatar

Muschio / Musk by Santa Maria Novella

Boo! I was looking forward to liking this one, but alas it smells only of maple syrup and has no development. I have difficulty describing this scent except for the syrup allusion. Perhaps there is orris root and anise?

19 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2009)

wtb's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

Next to Pour Homme, Gucci's best. Women go absolutely wild for this stuff! Fellas: once you wear this, you'll be the headliner once you walk in the clubs and and you won't leave empty-handed(the best girls on your arm)!! A sure winner in my book.

wtb's avatar

Versace l'Homme by Versace

An all time classic that will never die in my mind... as well as the ladies noses and hearts. A sure fire hall of famer.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Rumeur 2 Rose by Lanvin

Hmm. Got this free at work, would NEVER have picked it up. The smell is not too 'pink', though very, in fact, stridently, pastel. Starts of fake-citrusy and a touch loud, no rose in sight. It has that weird modern perfumery trying-for-clean-but-getting-slightly-musty effect, with the sparkling zing of fake citrus, for the first hour. Then it suddenly calms way down, and a soft, quite charming rose appears, all on its lonesome. By now it's very quiet. I am sure it will be all but completely gone by the three-hour-mark, as everyone on the web seems to be complaining. You could buy something a LOT worse for a young girl's first perfume. If you're over 18, pick something a lot more interesting. The box is charming and the bottle's heft quite satisfying.

Bigsly's avatar

Messe de Minuit by Etro

As should be obvious from the reviews here, you want to sample this before buying a bottle. I try to avoid top notes, but there is still plenty of citrus coming through for me. On my first wearing, I thought to myself, "incense bread." Yes, this could have a nauseating quality, I suppose, but it never got there for me. It just barely avoided the "gross out" zone. It also has interesting sillage. I found that it is hard to waft up with your hand, but instead releases the scent molecules every so often once you get to the drydown. It's not too dry at all, which is why I enjoy it when I'm in the mood while avoiding the incense fragrances that are dry. Obviously, this is not one to wear all the time, but when you are in the mood, I can't think of a better one to reach for. Sillage and longevity are good to excellent.

Bigsly's avatar

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

This is an "action" fragrance. There are a lot of notes kicking around, but they also come together as a unified scent. I like to this of this as L'Instant Homme Light, actually (which is too harsh for me). I also get hints of notes not listed, especially chocolate and hazelnut. The blend here is about as fine as I've ever encountered, especially considering that it's not over-blended to the point of the notes losing individuality. I could understand an argument made that this is a "perfect" fragrance but not a "masterpiece." It also seems that skin chemistry is important with this one, so sample first (it's not a cheap fragrance). Don't worry that this is another Prada, just looking at the notes. Prada is much brasher and the vanilla/patchouli base is really "in your face." AS, by contrast, is a fine and delicate but by no means weak blend. Sillage is just right with one spray, I don't mind wearing this and consider it "unisex," and longevity is great. However, if you want something "edgy," this is not for you.

Nostalgie's avatar

Indu Kush / Hindu Kush by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

This is the sort of fragrance that makes me think: "Ah! There you are." It revives memories of a time hen I wore patchoulis, musks, and sandalwoods, and when everyone burned incense. Yet it does not have that thick, earnest, linear, "head-shop" character.

The beauty of Hindu Kush for me is how it manages to be rich but dry, dry but cozy, cozy but airy, airy but assertive, assertive but graceful. As a result, it warms in the winter and cools in the summer.

The weather is very hot and humid now. A dry scent is just the ticket. Often the fragrances associated with summer (green and aquatic scents, especially) can be actually quite syrupy, and a bit clumsy. Not Hindu Kush. It defies gravity.

AnimaSola's avatar

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

Modern Reserve is a superlative reinterpretation of the classic Polo. A luxurious and elegant green, spicy and fern accord. It resonates with sophistication, and it smells lovely from initial application to its long-lasting dry down. It is headier and lovelier than Polo Crest; I would have never thought that possible. It reminds me of Esencia Loewe in a way, but this beauty is crafted to absolute perfection. Magnificent!

theduchess48124's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I had great hopes for this(edp) for the first 5 minutes.Each time I tried it, the opening was an interesting play of floral notes---then a sour note reared up and dominated all for the next eon. Icky orange flower?? So I scrubbed it.

theduchess48124's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

This was a surprising one for me--I'm not a fan of fruit usually. The top is a blast of blackcurrant/mandarin, then a bite of grapefruit? shows through for a moment. On me the fruit is complex, not the "fruity-shampoo" thing I get from other scents. I think the pink pepper warms things up, although I detect it as a note only briefly. The drydown is a nice balance of the fruit and white flower, anchored with the patchouli. Not too complex, but very attractive overall.

Ranger's avatar

Fireside by Sonoma Scent Studio

My first impression was Lonestar by Tauer. I actually liked this better. Not as sweet as Lonestar, but I still get a root beer sort of tobacco gasoline smell. Lasting power is adequate but definately not great. All said, a solid perfume. My favorite of the ones I've tried from Sonoma (ambre noir, tabac aurea and winter woods).

JessicaGrace's avatar

Hanae by Keiko Mecheri

All the Keiko Mecheri's I've sniffed seem formulated for the express purpose of never offending anyone. Hanae is fresh and fruity, with a cherry note that ranges from blossoms to Jolly Ranchers. The slight tang of yuzu rescues the florals from too much sweetness. There is absolutely nothing unpleasant here -- not loud, not cloying -- but it doesn't hold my interest either, and after a few hours my boredom starts to edge into irritation. That's when I start to compare it to shampoo and dryer sheets. I like my scents a little dirtier. A fan of relentlessly fresh, clean, floral scents might enjoy this more.

JessicaGrace's avatar

Peau de Pêche by Keiko Mecheri

Dang. I'm really starting to wonder if I might be anosmic to a particular range of peachy/milky notes, maybe undecalactone. (Could that be why Mitsouko is so irretrievably bitter on me, while I simply can't smell Chant d'Aromes at all?) Anyway, this goes on with a lovely burst of not-too-sweet peach. I love it, and I have a feeling that creamy orris is doing great things with sandlewood at the bottom, but this simply disappears on me within minutes and no amount of huffing my wrist will let me get a real sense of it. I used up my sample in one day and still don't really know what this smells like. I really envy those of you for whom this works.

bentan's avatar

Une Fleur de Chanel by Chanel

I wanted to be impressed with Une Fleur de Chanel afterall, it is Chanel and besides, what could go wrong with a bouquet of flowers?

Indeed, it does smell like a well crafted unidentifiable flower as if the House of Chanel has totally recreated in the minds, a flower we've never seen before. It does have an issue of being on the synthetic side and strong aldehydes which is a Chanel signature.

The issue? Well, I had the comment, "Did you just spray the ABC air-freshener in the room?" Unfortunately, when I did a comparison check. Yes. it did smelt like I sprayed ABC in the room. Ouch. I did very much want to like this.

Primrose's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I am the first person to advise a scent wearer to wear his or her preference, but in my opinion, any woman over the age of 15 needs to expand her sense of fragrance. This scent is way to sweet and sugary and will fill a whole house with scent--literally. If its sillage you want, this might the one for you. And you will get all you need of sugar, sugar, sugar. Yes, as others have said, it will induce headaches. My first whiff of the scent was, "Gad?! What IS that?"

The pink spherical bottle is meant to appeal to the tween set and not woman--the thing looks like a plastic toy. This belongs not in the fragance section of a department store, but next to the Barbie pefume and the Tinkerbell cologne in the toy section.

On the other hand, the original Curious scent is a nice vanilla floral.

DeniDithyrambia's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

One terrible day, I was able to borrow Coco Mademoiselle from a friend. Sniffing the bottle wasn't bad so I decided to wear it to work. What could go wrong? This is Chanel. At first, the scent on me was interesting and weird. I decided to give it a chance. As time went on, the scent went from interesting to downright offensive. My emotions went from offended, angry, and scared. I was scared because I knew this scent had incredible longevity. There was an urge to roll in a tomato juice bath. I washed and washed till it finally loosened its hold on me. This was the EDP. I almost gave up on Chanel right there frightened to be scarred once more. Fortunately, I was able to try No. 22, No. 19, and No. 5, and I have made my peace with Chanel. Pointing a bottle of Coco Mademoiselle is like pointing a gun at me, I will comply just to stop the pulling of the trigger.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

After rolling my eyes at the oft-offered Pi Neo, I grabbed GG and gave my arm a spritz, the bright invigorating opening notes taking off like a citrus-scented rocket. A few minutes later the notes glided down smoothly to fine powdery woodsy notes reminiscent of Azzaro pour Homme's own amazing drydown. I had expected to sense an outdated miasma around a scent launched in 1974 but there was none. I think GG has been reformulated to give it a more updated feel but thankfully it retains enough of its vintage charm to remain a classic gentleman's fragrance.

19 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

Pi by Givenchy

I am a fan of powdery sweet scents but I found GIVENCHY PI to be too synthetic for my taste. Perhaps it was too difficult to achieve just the right balance with the benzoin crystals, resulting in a blend that is creamy but somewhat bland. And there really is no vanilla in here. Vanilla to me is always vibrant yet this element is noticeably missing from Pi. Still I can appreciate how easily the sweetness could have been misconstrued. And as pretty as the bottle may be, Pi simply has no chance of displacing Arpege pour Homme from my wardrobe.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Sweet yet devoid of warmth. Cold even. I'm not sure how this was achieved but I feel this intriguing combo gives it an edge over Givenchy's other saccharin offering, Pi. And strangely enough the image I had when sampling XERYUS ROUGE was of a tall glass of ice cold red rose cordial on a sultry afternoon.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Obviously targeted at novices, this is a real letdown from RL. Even Polo Sport has more personality.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

One of Calvin Klein's better offerings in recent years, definitely more interesting than CK One or Euphoria imho. MAN opens crisply with zesty pepper which lingers well into the lightly incensey heart notes. Rather modern and masculine, I'm just surprised it hasn't had more reviews. This could well be a sleeper.

19 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2009)

Pi Neo by Givenchy

I almost laugh when I read the promotional material for PI NEO. If this is what the future smells like, I'd rather stay in the present. Paradoxically the decision to do yet another take on an already overdone genre seems rooted in the tried and tested past. In fact the only thing remotely futuristic about Pi Neo is the glass bottle! I feel the Givenchy team should have taken more risks and be more daring in the use of synthetics. Even if the end result polarises opinions, they would have been forgiven, for PI NEO as it stands is just painfully nondescript, and lacks that little edge or aberration that makes a fresh scent like Azzaro Chrome interesting. Perhaps in their haste to synthesize a bespoke scent for Neo, someone must have forgotten to upload the 'Grow a Set' (GAS) module into the creative team. But on the other hand they really didn't need to do anything groundbreaking for the majority of the consumers have not taken the red pill...

19 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2009)

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense by Loewe

I much prefer Solo to this unoriginal flanker which smells just like another 'rank and file' addition to the gym scent army. Not even the attractively constructed bottle can help it survive a beating from the likes of Azzaro's Chrome. *Yawn*

Eternity Summer for Men 2009 by Calvin Klein

Strongly reminiscent of the original. Since I already have the original, why bother with this at all?
    Did I catch a strong whiff of 'commercialism' here?

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Tam Dao by Diptyque

a whole dump truck load of ...sandalwood of course.Foun a tester and sprayed 3 times on a cotton-synthetic curtain while the sun is ravaging and shining right upon this spot.The cedar(if any!) is so deep on the bottom but after a while comes out in a rather shy and modest way.This is probably good to wear to church on sunday(on saturday for some).It puts you into the right mood and would probably blend in well with this "churchy" smell(...just thinking back of my experience at russian orthodox churches-frankincense and candles).Creates a smooth and peaceful atmosphere but i wouldnt recommend this to a common man but rather to a priest.