Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Essential by Lacoste

Lacoste's Essential is in essence, UNPRETENTIOUS. And that's what I like most about it.

20th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2009)

hagertygal's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Whew!!! What a lovely mess this is. I actually got this really cheap in the 3.4 ounce EDP (with the certificate of authenticity sticker on the wrapper) from someone who couldn't stand it. I am now the proud owner of EIGHT large bottles, enough to keep me happy for about ten years, lol.

OK, so this is bold! One spray please, no more. I also recommend spraying it on your belly button. If you spray your neck, you will surely suffocate yourself.

This is full on B**CH. It is noxious, and rude, and speaks loudly of, "Go ahead....I know you want to tell me I reek, but you just cannot do so, because you know you cannot get enough." I smell leather and tar. Also, strangely, I get scents of some sort of sweet cola smell. My husband is a roofer, and I swear I smell asphalt and tar mixed with the leather. The flowers are there somewhere, but they have been thrown on the ground and stomped on.

This is not a scent for a child with pigtails and lip gloss. This is for the woman in the black fur coat who can pump a full clip into someone, then dump the body off the pier, all in broad daylight.

Instantly, upon first spray, I feel total confidence. I am climbing the corporate ladder, stepping on the heads of those below me. No one will mess with me...think twice....if I smell this rude and truly adore it, I don't think you have the confidence in you to tell me otherwise...or else...................Bang!

I know there were many reformulations of this. The Robert Piguet website does NOT list an EDT for sale. I think this might have been from whan Adrienne Arpel took over the scent, and I don't think it is quite so good. In 1999, the scent was taken back and reformulated once again, bringing it closer to the original. Go with the EDP, not the EDT. And give it a chance. Maybe spray your clothing about an hour before you put them on?

I turn heads left and right when I wear this. The scents of today are so "pleasing" that they become somewhat boring. Bandit stands out in the crowd. Also, I highly recommend giving Youth Dew a try. An old scent, but a powerhouse as well, and not looking to please anyone.

w3pearl's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

think stinks! rotten sunflower fried in rancid mcdonald's oil bath, along with rotten peanuts... awful.

20th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 February, 2010)

Stan Smith's avatar

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

This one makes me gag, it has the same nauseating note as Crave.
    Wretched.

hcr's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

Very subtle, non overpowering scent. The Curve reference=maybe, but when it starts to dry it gets a little more soapy, but not as soapy as Chrome or Gendarme, which were too soapy for me, so I would say this is a keeper. Not being too citrusy also helps, sometimes you don't wanna smell like Lemon Pledge, but this is also not quite as "marine" as bvlgari aqva, which is just too "mossy?"

fennec's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I know a woman who wears this incredibly — I could not imagine it on a man. Rubber is bitter, Black lacks the bitterness of a burnout; it is for the sensual, refined and powerful.

Kirsten's avatar

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

This reminds me of tropical florals... a day on the beach where there is no such thing as sunburn or sand in your bathing suit. An illusion of perfection, but one that I am happy to escape into now and then.

Kirsten's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I remember trying Shalimar in secret from my mom's make-up drawer. It was way too strong, but then I was 8. So trying it again as an adult, I already had preconceived notions in my head that I may not like it. And I was right - the top notes screeched of thin wood smoke, and I nearly scrubbed it off. It brought to mind a Vail or Aspen ski resort during the winter, sitting at a ski lodge near a crackling fire. However pleasant the image, I didn't picture myself smelling like the fire itself. But I decided to wait and see how it dried down. After 15 minutes or so, the thin wood smoke smell started to get fuller, less thin...it started to round out and become more mellow.

And then the most amazing thing happened.

After a good 45 minutes, the perfume dried down and became this lightly smokey, complex, mellow, rich scent. I don't get a strong vanilla, but a lovely mix that reminds me somewhat of autumn. This one might be slightly strong in the office, but wonderful on a cozy coffee date.

crahing bore's avatar

Xeryus by Givenchy

This is a legendary fragrance, an absolute top performer that quickly settles to an extremely long lasting reassuring and pleasant woody fragrance. It slowly and non-aggressively permeates your precinct sending out messages of reassurance, cleanliness, and stability.
    It can easily be used as your signature scent that announces your presence in a soft and subtle yet very identifiable and distinguishable way with one miniscule application a day. Extremely good value for bang for buck.
    Absolutely deserves far more attention than it gets

ortho123's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Complete turn around on this one for me that I can't explain. Hollow incense scent. No thanks.

20th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 May, 2011)

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Freshness and confidence in a bottle, that's Green Irish Tweed. If you're looking for a fragrance that heightens and sustains that fresh from the shower feeling of clean throughout the day, you've found it.

Maybe that's because GIT smells a lot like the original Irish Spring bar soap from the late 1970s to mid-1980s. (Not what Irish Spring calls "original" now or any of their myriad variations.)

There's only a superficial comparison between Cool Water and GIT. Spray one on each arm, compare the notes, and see for yourself. Cool Water is sweet, minty and synthetic, with a huge Grape Kool-Aid accord. GIT is green herbal, spicy and natural-smelling, with verbena, iris and violet leaves driving the scent.

If you can appreciate the difference between eating at McDonald's (Cool Water) and enjoying a meal prepared by a master chef from freshly grown, high quality ingredients (Green Irish Tweed), you will have no trouble navigating between the two.

A truly bracing and refreshing scent that's as versatile as a Swiss Army knife: day, evening, office, date, casual, formal, all seasons.

20th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2012)

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

The naming of perfumes (or anything else) is interesting but tricky when the passage of time is considered: I remember my twenty-year-old sister wearing Youth Dew in the early ‘50s. Then “Youth Dew” was an appropriate name for the fragrance worn by my beautiful sister. The name doesn’t fit now days because changing fashion is the one constant in fashion. I don’t want to call this “dated” although I don’t have a problem with that particular vocabulary word, but I do get ‘50s images in my mind in conjunction with the aroma of Youth Dew. It opens citrus and then very quickly moves to a spicy floral – cinnamon, clove, and ylang-ylang prominent with strong indolic colorings. But as soon as the heart notes show up, they are shadowed by the ‘50s vibrations from the base – the ‘50s version of patchouli and balsam, I believe. The heart and base fix the fragrance at a point in time, and I can do little more with this fragrance because it is has become more of a memory rather than a present reality. In trying to be objective, I would say that I like Youth Dew, but there are several others of its era and type that I prefer, because Youth Dew doesn’t seem to have very much uniqueness in its composition or delivery. Thumb’s up for the memory, but neutral for the actual fragrance.

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Strong and gaudy. Giorgio makes the most of the potency of the fruity / white floral category. It’s a massive grouping of peachy / apricot sweet fruit notes with the usual white florals: orange blossom, ylang-ylang, tuberose, gardenia, and jasmine. It is flamboyant, indole laden and non-synthetic. Except for its potency, it is predictable in its construction, it sends out massive amounts of sillage, and lasts forever. The drydown still retains much of the peachy / white floral from the top and heart, so Giorgio is also linear… Oh, and it has given me a headache once when I purposely over sprayed it. It can be a fairly nice fragrance, but only if it is applied with extreme discretion. It is lethal unless an absolute minimum is applied.

Ghost Man by Ghost

Extremely sweet but a nice fragrance: The anise is dominant to my nose, but it is tempered by the cloves and mint so that it doesn’t deliver that piercing anise note that is so prevalent in several recent fragrances – I rather like this version of anise. Tvlampboy is right about the tenacity of the anise note… it hangs on seemingly forever, so permanently present that I determine only minimal differences between the opening, middle, and base of the fragrance. On my skin the fragrance is linear, but it is a nice linearity.

I agree that Ghost Man is a better version of Le Male. Though sweeter than Le Male, the powder is gone, making this less dated and more wearable. Neither one is my kind of fragrance, but Ghost is well made and performs nicely on the skin. If you like sweet, try it.

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

A very nice citrus / green fragrance. I agree with those who say Aqua is not very aquatic. It doesn’t have very much of that ozone or marine aspect that most of the other aquatics exhibit. It’s a clean, pleasant, light fragrance with stronger sillage and longevity than most of its genre. The fragrance is sweet, balanced, and nicely put together, but it doesn’t have much drama or passion. It’s an easy wear.

Alma de Alma by Madini

Beautiful musky scent… soft and feminine. Musk with a touch of citrus and vanilla. The drydown has a prominent woodnote – patchouli, I think. Very pretty fragrance with light sillage and excellent longevity…

Musk Gazelle by Madini

The first time I tested this, only the resins – none of the sweet or softness – came through for me. I got “deep,” “resinous,” and “musky.” With subsequent testings, the resinousness has diminished a bit and some of the softness has come to the fore, but I still get very little “sweet.” The florals are serious – almost Gothic – to my nose and have difficulty escaping from my skin, but they do contribute smoothness to the resinous incense and the lusty musk. This is one serious collection of dark florals, resins, and musks, that ends up a rich and full musk: “Smooth” I would go along with, but I still wouldn’t call it “soft.” Musk Gazelle is genuinely unisex (at least on my skin) with strong sillage and great longevity. I love it.

Musk Pierre by Madini

The description on the Madini website is “notes resinous and sweet…” and that is a good description. There’s a playfully sweet resinousness to the fragrance: It presents a sweet, almost gourmand amber in an effervescent, near root beer accord. It’s quite delightful and, on my skin, quite feminine, and it has strong sillage and excellent longevity… It ends with a nice, soft musk note, but I think that it should have been named “Amber Pierre”… or, better yet, “Amber Charlotte.”

Pine by Madini

There is more than pine going on here… it’s so aromatic that it seems like unrefined eucalyptus and raw menthol with a little pine branch thrown in. It’s a heavy, heady version of the pine accord, and it doesn’t work for me at all… They say, “pine,” I say, “super-concentrated Pinesol.” Untenable…

Ed Hardy Woman by Christian Audigier

Purplebird7 is spot on about Ed Hardy Woman (and about Mexican prayer candles). This is a sweet creamy strawberry accord top to bottom and beginning to end: that’s it… creamy strawberry (fields) forever.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

The litany applies: Synthetic, generic, unoffending, unexciting, copycat, too weak, too short-lived, too expensive, bland…

What DIAMONDS is, is a sweet, youthful, generic, expensive, synthetic, unoffending fragrance… just like scores of others, and quite a bit like most of the other Armani fragrances. Nothing unique. Nothing to get excited about…

I probably am being too hard on this particular fragrance, but the marketing division asked for my disdain… They are the ones that named it “DIAMONDS”…

…ALL CAPS, no less. That’s just going too far.

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

Ed Hardy Man opens with an interesting accord that is made up of citrus, mace and mint. This citrus, mace, mint combination is unique, interesting, and very enjoyable: The accord contains all the characteristics of its ingredients… it is warm, cool, textured, edgy, safe, fresh, and softly masculine. The musk and wood from the base, first tweak the basic opening accord with a bit of drama, but after a while the base becomes very traditionally woody. I find this an interesting and admirable fragrance. The vicious tiger on the packaging doesn’t quite fit the character of the fragrance because Ed Hardy Man is a rather discreet, comfortable, agreeable experience.

Naitch's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

If you love L'Homme, you'll really love this. If you didn't, you won't. La Nuit quite simply is L'Homme "Extreme". More vanillla in the drydown, and a little extra longevity at around 4 hours. Very classy and intoxicating. I think YSL has moved itself into the category of Chanel when it comes to fine fragrances with this release.

LiveJazz's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

The mojito note is surprisingly tasteful and long-lasting on my skin. Mint isn't a note I'm usually attracted to, but placed in this nice boozy nest, it doesn't come off as toothpastey or too sharp like it usually does.

The middle florals are light and pleasant, and I still get just a hint of that boozyness to keep things interesting. As others have said, the base is certainly nothing groundbreaking. But again, it smells good. Just because Guerlain is a mighty house doesn't mean everything they produce HAS to be groundbreaking throughout its evolution. The top and heart are distinctive and effective enough that I'll let the base slide and give it a thumbs up.

Nouvelle Edition Figue Amere by Miller Harris

Top: bergamot, mandarin
    Mid: “bitter ripe green figs,” salt, Narcissus poeticus, rose, green violet leaves
    Base: cedar, amber, sea moss
    This opens with a nice, earthy fig scent. Oddly, this scent projects more coconut than Premiere Figuer (regular or extreme) by L’Artisan Parfumer – yet there is no coconut listed here. In comparison to the L’Artisan products, this is much more floral, creamier, sweeter. It is not a lean green scent in any sense. Lots of sillage here folks. The drydown is sweet and ambery, and I don’t get any cedar. This is not a bad scent at all, but I don’t care for the style. Others may well appreciate it.

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

This has a lovely citrus-herbal opening in the classic EDC style. I can’t pick out the individual citrus notes, they just register as ‘citrus’. I find this to be much different from Eau D’Orange Verte -- TV is more herbal-green. Marjoram is a mild herb: dusky and bit earthy. Those qualities are here, and they are continued in the mossy notes. Then, something interesting and somewhat perplexing happens for me. The scent develops an airy-fresh aspect: it is cool, spacious, ozonic. This might be the geranium interacting with the musk and moss. At times, the scent is pleasant and calming, at other times it is a bit synthetic (like powdered laundry detergent). I am not a fan of ozonic scents so I struggle through this phase. The moss is a longevity monster, it quietly maintains a presence for many hours. Because of the ozonic middle, I only give a neutral. For those who don’t mind this aspect, it will be a pleasant scent.

En Sens de Bois by Miller Harris

The title is a pun in French. Literally, it means “in a sensation of woods” but it sounds like “incense of woods.” The scent lives up to its name: it is a lovely woody-incense fragrance. It starts with a very good dusky-green note, which to me suggests that there is some galbanum and possibly clary sage at work. The scent takes on a haunting quality: it seems both airy and powerful at the same time. It is quite dry, with no prominent floral or sweet notes. The woods develop beautifully in the dry-down, and the patchouli is restrained. The incense notes are subtle but enjoyable. The scent sits close to the skin and has a comfortable, comforting feel, just as the blurb says.

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Infusion by Bombay Sapphire

Very interesting scent.

I don't drink alcohol, but always liked the smell of this gin.
    Yes, it has the classic juniper smell that all gins do, only juniper of a higher quality, and such delicious lemony almond/spice smoothness. And a very refreshing tonic note. Not the same tonic note used in Versace Eau Fraiche and Quercus, this "tonic" is higher quality!
    Also has some of the sour yet smooth citric notes str8 outta Allure Edition Blanche.
    Surprisingly does not have an overly synthetic olfactory profile.
    Very very good, so I stocked up.

Almond, Lemon Peel, Liquorice Root, Juniper Berries, Orris Root, Angelica, Coriander, Cassia Cinnamon Bark, Cubeb Pepper Berries, Grains of Paradise (Guinea Pepper) [ginger species]

blondex199667's avatar

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I love CSP, love Hawai'i, and love gardenia. Wanted to love Aloha Tiare, but don't. It's too intense and too sweet.

blondex199667's avatar

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I wear this rarely, but when I do I really enjoy it. Women will tell me I smell like cake and mean it as a total compliment. It neither surprises nor disappoints.

21st August, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2009)