Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I love CSP, love Hawai'i, and love gardenia. Wanted to love Aloha Tiare, but don't. It's too intense and too sweet.

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I wear this rarely, but when I do I really enjoy it. Women will tell me I smell like cake and mean it as a total compliment. It neither surprises nor disappoints.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Allusions to its launch era aside, this is a real powerhouse fragrance. It's more grown-up than most but not patronly like some. The dry down is heaven, sillage impressive and really completely unique. A great option if you're over the aquatic and spice dominated market.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I love the smell of this, but it really doesn't last on me and has no sillage. At $205 a pop, I won't be repurchasing.

Marc Jacobs Splash Gardenia by Marc Jacobs

LOVE IT. I think the fruit notes keep it from being matronly (like many gardenia frags) and adds a freshness that makes it perfectly suitable for men. I actually get compliments on it from guys at the gym. Really nicely done and a great value. Highly recommended for guys who are tired of all the formulaic juices out there right now.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

This review is for vintage Joy extrait. I agree with JessicaGrace, all I'm getting is a rich, Jasmine soliflore. While I can appreciate the obviously high quality materials used in this scent, It just doesn't do it for me because it's too 'pretty", well-behaved and proper. I gravitate to scents with more of an edge. However, if you're looking for a Jasmine scent that's highly elegant and refined to wear to a special event, Joy is perfect. Even though it's not my "thing" I have to give it a thumbs up for quality and sillage and I'm happy to have it in my wardrobe.

andyman32's avatar

Aoud Flowers by Montale

The description that it is kind of waxy, musky, murky and medicinal rose is good. It starts a little sweet but the dry-down is fairly astringent. I could read some tobbacco and violet leaf in it. It is a fairly elegant offering, not quite as 'sparkling' as some other Montales. The longevity is excellent, as with most Montales, particularly on cloth. A spray on cuffs or collar will last for a good 10-12 hours.

I do like this one but it's not at the top of the stack in the Montale Aouds. This one and, despite its popularity, Black Aoud, are the middle of the pack for my taste. I like White, Gold, Velvet and Lime a little better... I enjoy the juxtaposition of bright & bubbly or casual notes over the oudh. Steam and Leather are both interesting in their own way. Black and Flowers are each rather dark & brooding and a little less 'fun' to smell throughout the day. It is still a high-quality and enjoyable entry in the Montale line, and I'd still rather wear this than just about any designer fragrance in my collection. I do agree that this would be very sexy on a lady.

hollyc's avatar

Ciel Woman by Amouage

Another winner from Amouage. This is a lovely, soft, rich floral, with very well done musk undertones, very understated and unmistakably classy. As I have said in earlier reviews, Amouage isn't out to reinvent perfume. What they do do, is take existing classifications and do them 1,000 times better. I can't pick out the notes in Ciel, but when I put it on I just kept thinking. . . "I've smelled this before, but never has it smelled this fabulous." This has quite good sillage and the longevity I think will be quite good as well. While I can't wear all the Amouage (Gold and Dia major headache inducers which sadly I love), I honestly can't imagine anyone smelling their scents and thinking they don't smell amazing, whether you can wear them or not. I give this ten thumbs up!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

First impression. The cheap lemon dishwashing liquid you buy instead of Dawn to save money. It has a detergent smell that I can almost taste. The tobacco comes now and again but is overwhelmed by other notes.This absurd cologne is a flanker of a fantastic cologne called CK's Eternity. Smells like CK's Eternity with added lemon, too much lemon, and tobacco and pepper. I'll pass.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Cinnamon and vanilla and some spice to make you sneeze and give you a headache. I was onced told by a female that she went crazy for this stuff. No thanks! Theres too much of a synthetic confusion. Smells like my sisters makeup/perfume bag 15 years ago.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very classy, not for teenagers. It does have the shaving cream note that everyone has mentioned. The scent opens up with vetiver in the base but quickly dissappears, I have noticed that alot of people associate vetiver in a fragrance as "old mannish" because, should I say "older" fragraces have heavy doses of vetiver. This is far from stale or "old". It favors Brut in a way however it is much lighter, smoother, and not synthetic...mixed with barbersol shaving cream. Close to the skin, in the drydown I sense a similarity to L'eau D'Issey's drydown, of course mixed with shaving cream and a hint of Brut. I absolutely love this cologne. If a woman walks in a room after you have left, she will have no doubt that a Man has been there.

misscasey's avatar

Candie's by Candie's

Thumbs down??!! Nooo, I've smelled much worse!!
    The bottle is cute, and especially for the price this is pretty good stuff. Bright, fruity, and sweet with and just a hint of warmth and spice. Why not?

Hartman Design's avatar

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

Realities' Blue Graphite's boozier big brother. Not as sharp out of the bottle as Blue Graphite, but packs a heavier Rum, Cognac and honey punch within the first few seconds of application. Moreover, it's got a darker, more sophisticated appeal -- this fragrance manages to stand out as pretty unique with good longevity. If I worked in an office, I could envision wearing this one frequently, as it seems well-balanced throughout the entire fragrance pyramid, and is tough to overapply even by a squirthog like myself. Enthusiastic thumbs up.

21st August, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2009)

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

Comme des Garçons White by Comme des Garçons

This one surprised me. Having grown a little bored of Comme des Garcons recently, I'd never gotten around to actually trying White. Slightly hungover one morning, I wanted something light and cool so I thought I'd give this a chance. I'm so happy I did! To my nose, this starts out like dry woods soaked in white wine. My wife says it smells like curry. I didn't get that at all at first. Soon, cinnamon follows and then the rose arrives. The woods in the drydown blend in perfectly. A really pleasant surprise - A beautiful, wonderfully made fragrance.

EllenWF's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

To add to Jemimagold's list, lovers of Chanel No 19 will probably appreciate it too!

Start20's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

I am King by Sean John

Smells like Lacoste's Style In Play.

Calèche by Hermès

Initially it was unappealing, but later develops into a soft sensual fragrance. I think it is a little old for me, but still quite lovely.

L by Lolita Lempicka

I absolutely adore this. I dont find that it smells like cigarette and sweat- Bulgari Black smells to me like a night out dancing- perfume,cologne, cigarettes, sweat and the leather jacket you wore on the way home.
    This smells like Nag Champa and funnel cakes at a fair in Golden Gate Park.There is enough spice and wood to cut the sweetness. I dont wear this out of the house much because I cannot stop smelling myself when I have it on!

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

It took me a few hours to like this one, but the sweet subtle spicy leather scent finally won me over.

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Yatagan by Caron

Well...everything i wanted to say about Yatagan is already said here.Probably no need for another boring review but still...i'm under imression.Especially Vibert's definition "Uncompromising" was very correct and that's exactly what i think.Went to a store and asked to test it.The lady seller of about 50 years old hearing me asking for Yatagan replied with a certain alerted amazement "Yatagan?!!!Oh la la!" (living in a french speaking area,"oh la la!"- in this situation that was like an equivalent of "wow,maaaan!watch out!").I don't have this kind of nose to describe the opening and the transformations,but i left the paperstrip to dry till i got outside.Then after my first sniff i almost shouted out loud "YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!".I was stunned! Absalutely fantastic! Like a truck full of fresh cut pinetree logs droped off its cargo right in my nose!Just trying to remeber the scents i ever sniffed:juniperberry-yes it is there!very bright and bitter,rosmarine-yes,maybe not too expressive,celery-...????maybe as an opening note which i partly missed,but not when it all settled down.The general impression:bitter pine very straight forward and absolutely nothing that modifys it to anything more agreeable or soft or mild-hence Uncompromising!Them guys who are 25 or younger-don't even try to wear this,you will not succeed in it.So far to me this is the ultimate masculinity materialized into a fragrance.Might be the best selling fragrance in Alaska and Oregon.

Kirsten's avatar

Arpège by Lanvin

Arpege to me is very much like the Bombshell Manual of Style mentioned - save it for antique or amber jewelry and nights in old Russian castles. It's a bit loud for my regular tastes in the top notes, but the dry down is wonderfully rich and complex. I'd save it for a night time perfume. One of those very unique frags, especially compared to the overly fruity, bright pink celebutante frags that drive me nuts. Arpege is special.

crahing bore's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

This was my first 'wow' fragrance in the long distance past, but was always disappointed by its lack of longevity - it whittles away to uninteresting and not terribly attractive basenotes at an alarming rate. Always seemed to me a lot to pay for 15 minutes of 'wow' and that was pretty much it.

kbe's avatar

Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez

The opening reminds me of the tangy nose of a cut-fruit laden white Rioja Sangria (served in an icy cold blue-glass pitcher) that I enjoyed at a fine Spanish restaurant. Woodsy, herbal notes back up the fruit but they don't overwhelm it. The laid back middle notes and drydown keep the fruit alive and both phases hold quietly close to the skin but are definitely not hard to notice and enjoy, particularly as the modest sillage drifts past the wearer's nose on a warm, sultry summer evening.

21st August, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2011)

Incense by Madini

Incense? I’ve never thought of incense as smelling like this… It opens with a blast of strong, sort of plastically iodine note– it’s not at all attractive, and (unfortunately in this instance like many Madini fragrances), it seems to be very strong, linear, and long lasting. It does soften a bit, but it never loses its annoying plastic tinge. After my first trial of this, I have never been able to keep it on my skin more that fifteen minutes. I do not like this one.

21st August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 February, 2014)

Bigsly's avatar

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

I don't know how to rate this, so I'm going to give it a neutral. I really like the scent, except for what comes across as a cheap bubblegum note, which ruins the whole thing for me. The Perfumer's Workshop makes a similar fragrance, Samba Heat for men, so I just use that instead (I swapped off my Escape bottle). Heat doesn't have that bubblegum note but has a mild wood note that makes it more "masculine" to my way of thinking. I can see how some say Escape has a "synthetic" or "air freshener" quality, and I wonder why they couldn't eliminate this problem and make it smell more natural. Sillage and longevity are at least good. I suggest wearing this a few times to make sure this odd note or quality doesn't bother you. For me, it gets annoying after an hour or so, which means it's really unwearable. Samaba Heat, on the other hand, settles in nicely, lasts, and so I can appreciate it for a long time and never get irritated by any harsh or unpleasant notes.

Bigsly's avatar

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

I have the EdP and consider this "unisex." It's "linear" and well-blended but smells great; a dry, dusty/powdery vanillic incense/sandalwood concoction. Sillage is at least good and longevity is excellent. I guess if you want "development," look elsewhere. Barbara Bui is similar to this, but I find it much harsher. Amour is strong but there are no "sharp edges." Also, there's very little sweetness here, unlike so many of today's fragrances. I can see why some might say this has a "synthetic" quality, but unlike others that I don't like for that reason, I find that after a short while I get used to this quality and it doesn't bother me at all. I only wear it about a once a month, so that may have something to do with how I feel about it, because if I wore it every day I might come to dislike it.

Givenchy III by Givenchy

Givenchy III

I do enjoy when a perfume takes me for a ride. Givenchy III is one of those scents which has three distinct phases much like a roller coaster, but in a good way. Givenchy III was created in 1970 and re-released and reformulated in 2007. This is the fate of all chypres as oakmoss has become a restricted ingredient for use in perfumery. I've had the good fortune to wear both the vintage and re-formulated versions and this is a case where both have their charms but the vintage version is superior to my nose. The top of Givenchy III starts with an aldehydic effervescence paired with galbanum. This is very much a hallmark of scents created in the 70's as many of the best ones lead with a shot of aldehydes. This is a nice build-up to an amazingly balanced floral, green heart. Here is where Givenchy III picks up speed and takes you over the top racing through a garden full of floral notes. It starts with jasmine, then a left turn to a spicy clove-like carnation then a right turn to lily of the valley, picking up speed you race through hints of rose, and gardenia. Then after all of that the ride takes you to the its calming base which starts with a warm amber before the classic patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver chypre combo kicks in. Finally you get out of your olfactory roller coaster exhilirated at the beautiful ride you just took. The re-formulated version holds true to most of the vintage version except in the base which feels thinner to me. There is something in there that approximates the oakmoss but somehow doesn't get the full effect as in the vintage formulation. I still think the re-formulated version is a great perfume but the vintage is slightly better. One drawback to Givenchy III is like my analagous roller coaster ride this scent has a fairly short longevity on me ,which is normal for most chypres on me, but Givenchy III disappears faster than other chypres and that is too bad because I would like to linger over the phases a little longer than they last on my skin. Givenchy III is a great example of a chypre and if you are a fan of this style of scent it is well worth buying a ticket to ride.

Habanita by Molinard

Molinard Habanita

I have pretty much set foot in every country in the Western Hemisphere, but one, Cuba. What is funny is that for a country that I have never set foot in and only seen from the deck of a sailboat in passing I have a vivid picture of what it must be like. That mental picture comes from the Cuban ex-patriates that moved to Miami in the 60's. As a kid I would listen to the stories of Havana and the countryside of Cuba and soak it all in. While many people would focus on tobacco and rum as the scents they most associate with Cuba there is one other scent I also associate with Cuba, flowers. One of our neighbors, Sra. Menendez, grew a garden in her yard, full of tropical flowers. She would tell me the story of how, in her home in Havana, she had the most beautiful garden. She took the time to teach a young man about the different flowers in her garden and to identify them and they all had a distinct smell. I am reminded of Sra. Menendez's garden everytime I wear the scent created in 1921 for Molinard, Habanita. While there is tobacco present in this scent, this is more like a stroll in a tropical garden and what makes this a stand-out scent for me is that it is like a walk in a garden as each floral note seems to appear very distinctly only to be replaced by the next one. The top of Habanita starts off with a light breeze of bergamot and cedar and then I enter the olfactory garden and the first floral note I get is lavender. Thisi is a very powdery lavender and it might be too powdery for some but it doesn't last long before I get a hint of orange blossom then comes jasmine, rose, heliotrope, and ylang ylang all in succession. underneath all of this is an earthy accord which really brings to mind the garden milieu of cedar mulch and dirt underneath lush florals. As Habanita progresses into the base the florals fade to the background and amber, leather, vanilla, and tobacco come to the fore. These four notes combine to create a divine drydown in Habanita that smells great. Habanita is a long lasting scent with a lot of projection. If you are not a fan of florals this is not the scent for you. If you are a fan of florals this is a scent which allows everyone of them present to have their moment in the spotlight and shine. For me Habanita is like a walk in Sra. Menendez's garden all over again.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Armani Acqua di Gio pour Homme

Acqua di Gio, the 1996 scent created for Giorgio Armani, is the most popular scent in terms of sales in the world as of 2008. Popularity and sales do not automatically confirm greatness on any artistic endeavor. Conversely those attributes shouldn't be made to seen as detriments, either. Acqua di Gio is popular for a reason and that reason, I think, is Wonder Bread. I love bread of all kinds, a fresh-baked croissant, a crunchy baguette, savory whole grain loaf, you get the idea. If you put down a jar of crunchy peanut butter and grape jelly and ask me what bread I want it on, I'm going to choose Wonder Bread. Wonder Bread just tastes great in that situation. I really like the other breads I mentioned, more, but for a good old PB&J I'm going to choose Wonder Bread. Acqua di Gio falls in the same category. It isn't my favorite fresh scent out there in fact it probably doesn't crack my top 20, although that's probably close. Yet, on a sunny summer day there are just days I want to wear Acqua di Gio for all of the things it does right. The one thing Acqua di Gio gets very right is it is composed in a light style which keeps it from ever becoming cloying or heavy on me. Right from the beginning the lightness of touch is evident as a breeze of jasmine on top of other florals lead this into a fruity heart paired with a very typical aquatic heart. This would be the ideal description of many feminine fruity florals but because Acqua di Gio keeps its composition so muted this works well as a masculine and if someone is getting nervous about wearing a fruity floral the base is full of strong he-man accords. Starting with cedar followed by patchouli and a sheer white musk. Acqua di Gio is that very easy-to-wear scent that owes its popularity to that quality, I think. There is nothing challenging here but there is also nothing to make one want to turn away either. As many scents in this class Acqua di Gio has average longevity and a decent amount of projection. Acqua di Gio is perfect for that sunny day I'm in the mood for a little PB&J on Wonder Bread.

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

Cartier L'Essence de Declaration

Jean-Claude Ellena created Cartier Declaration in 1998. He has said in interviews since that it was his homage to Edmond Roudnitska's 1951 Eau D'Hermes. There are many similarities between the two the most obvious is the use of cumin. The other one is they are both fairly light-wearing creations and the notes in Declaration always had me looking for ways to get a little more intensity out of them. Thankfully, for me, M. Ellena must have wanted something similar and in 2001 created a flanker to Declaration, L'Essence de Declaration. The un-talented would have just probably upped the concentration of a few notes and re-released this. M. Ellena, of course, is not that kind of perfumer. He realized that if you were going to turn up the olfactory volume much like when you turn up the volume on your speakers you can't make it too loud or the bass line distorts the sound. The same holds true here. In Declaration there is a beautiful sheer core of medicinal woods comprised of birchwood, wormwood, and juniper wood. Intensify these ingredients and this would smell like a pharmacist's experiment gone bad. Instead by skillfully choosing some different woods he is able to take Declaration and quite beautifully create a more intense version of it without making it feel distorted. The top of L'Essence is nearly identical to that of the original as the bergamot and slightly bitter orange start it off with an astringent, tart accord. It is as we move into the woody heart that M. Ellena makes his first choice of cedar added. There is cedar in the base of Declaration in L'essence he pulls it forward into the heart. This has the aspect of drawing clean bold lines around the mix of woods here and then he adds some sweet rosewood to balance this out. The birch is still present but the juniper has been replaced with cardamom and this adds some softness to the heart while allowing the birchwood more presence. The cumin is also present but with the woods leading the way it comes off more muted and in some ways less forward than in Declaration. For those who are really cumin averse this might still be too much. For those who are intrigued by the note but don't like the sweaty accord cumin usually adds this might be just right for you. The base is the same base as in Declaration as a mix of vetiver, oakmoss and the continued presence of cedar end this almost identically. L'Essence de Declaration has great longevity on me, more than Declaration and more sillage than the original, too. If it wasn't for the aquatic misfire of Declaration Bois Bleu I would call M. Ellena's Declaration family the best group of original scent and flankers out there, as it is three out of four isn't a bad batting average.