Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

An obnoxious fabric-softener floral paired with the essential-oil smell of my all natural tick-repellent. The latter is actually nicer - and repels ticks, so I'll pass on L'Artisan's offering.

LiveJazz's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Wow, a mid-nineties fragrance with a tart, sharp citrus opening, a peppery heart, and an amber/woody base. Who would have thought?

Honestly, we have Platinum Egoiste. We have Jazz. We have XS. We have about 65 more. I don't know which predated which, and I don't care. I'm just sick of smelling it.

The one redeeming quality: I get a pretty nice boozy accord about a half hour in. It then fades to the synthetic woody base we've come to dread.

LiveJazz's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It's easy to write it off as a just another citrus-fades-to-sweet scent that's basically nice but not much more...but I think it really opens up in the heart and base. The ginger is unusually silky, and the basil (which I wouldn't have guessed would blend so nicely with ginger) is just subdued enough not to give an overly herbal feel. This is layered over a pleasant layer of florals.

Tonka is one of the few sweet notes I can tolerate, and I think L'Homme uses it in the base with a lot of class, and does a good job of counteracting the sweetness with a small dose of barely detectable vetiver. The overall effect is quite smooth; just sweet enough, just green enough.

The best thing for me about this scent is that I can actually pick out each of these notes, and I can still appreciate the whole thing as a cohesive and attractive accord. Many scents either smell good but feature muddled notes, or have decisive notes but smell "spiky" as a result. L'Homme balances the equation nicely.

Yes, it does smell very modern, but it also smells very good.

zztopp's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Many a times it happens that rowdy young men make ridiculous claims of one uppance ...its only later during a group shower session that the truth hangs out and the claims of superiority are exposed. The Set Sail St. Barts for Men (SSSB) vs. Virgin Island Water (VIW) was one such, albeit short lived, bout on Basenotes. Lets just say VIW leaves SSSB hanging upside down in the school playground and steels its lunch money in the process.

SSSB opens with a very good juicy lime and tequila accord...the tequila accord is suitably boozy with just the right level of alcohol. Thats about the only height this juice reaches, as the heart notes introduce a demure salty note of sorts with the tequila accord rapidly fainting before a mind numbingly pedestrian backend of a cheap vanilla and musk note materializes and spends 80% of the 5 hr lifespan of this fragrance radiating off your skin. There's also a coconut note of sorts in here...its the type which immediately elicits cheap suntan lotion vibe and provides a clear demarcation between the coconut note that lives within SSSB and the subtle, milky smooth variant found in VIW, Carnal Flower and Datura Noir.

SSSB isn't bad, its just deceptively mediocre. Its very top loaded with a fleeting heart and a drydown that was delivered on a 10 rupee budget. Compared to the slick melding of lime, subtle coconut, ginger and florals in ViW, SSSB just smells terribly exposed and underfunded.

Rating: 5.75/10.0

odysseusm's avatar

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I find this to be a BIG scent, and one dominated by myrrh. The citrus opening quickly moves into a sweet, perfumed blast of cinnamon spice and myrrh. I didn’t notice any cumin, which normally is an assertive spice. At this stage, I find the scent loud and a bit garish, and reminiscent of bug spray. Gradually the presentation calms down, and interestingly the scent becomes somewhat less sweet and heavy. The myrrh becomes more incense-like, more like the air in a cathedral. However, if there is frankincense here I don’t notice it. In my limited experience, I find myrrh to be perfume-y and heady (even a bit soapy); whereas frankincense seems dry, green and aromatic. I like incense scents but find this a bit rich. I appreciate some of its notes but I don’t think I’d seek it out.

bokaba's avatar

Muschio Oro / Gold Musk by Santa Maria Novella

Expensive Jovan Musk and that's about it. Nice soapy opening similar to Dial, but the urine-like musk quickly takes over and makes the scent unpleasant.

24th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th November, 2009)

jathanas's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

The first minute or so the impression is OK. A cool spicy accord gave me hope that this was going somewhere.

The fun stopped abruptly when I got a whiff of a cheap accord that just smelled off.

I try to give every fragrance a fair go, this however is a scrubber.

g1275's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This is my favorite cologne. Few fragrances can pull of a purely clean scent with a undeniable masculinity (Polo Blue is the only other that comes to mind). I love the way it smells in the bottle, I love the way it smells on me throughout the day, and I respect any other man who wears it. When I get a new scent, I'm comparing it to Green Irish Tweed. The only ones that stack up are other Creed fragrances though. Day, night, it doesn't matter; it works with any occasion.

Is it similar to Cool Water? There is definitely a resemblance, but I can't see myself getting the compliments from Cool Water that I do from Green Irish Tweed. Whenever I wear this, someone is bound to say, "What are you WEARING!??!" I get embarrassed because they make such a big deal. Bottomline: I can't think of a better all around cologne.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Van Cleef by Van Cleef & Arpels

Very nice! A zingy, powdery aldehyde topnote, followed quite quickly by a somewhat nondescript floral melange. From one smelling of Safari, I think this is somewhat similar. Feels older than 1993, must have been a rather lacklustre launch. I imagine lady applying this every day as the final touch to her strictly formal wardrobe. Nice and I'd wear it now and again if given a bottle (pity about that bottle, btw, SO hideous).

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

I hang my head for Chanel. That THIS should be a male offering from them? This immediately reminded me, and still does, of the almost equally nasty Rumeur 2 Rose. There's the EXACT same musty-fresh 'modern' smell ALL the way through, what aromachemical from hell is this? Yes, it's about lemon, quite a tolerable lemon, but that weird note is the prism through which it must be smelled. Big NO.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Jailia by Profumi di Pantelleria

What Vibert and Moss said, except that I find it to be very patchouli-prominent as well.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

The supposed fruit notes must be mostly in the top, which I try to avoid as much as possible, because for me this is a crisp, slightly cool tea floral. There isn't much in the way of development, but I don't sense a "synthetic" quality to it. I agree with Luca Turin that this is "unisex." Since I don't have anything else like this, it serves as a good change of pace when I get bored, not that there is anything "wrong" with this, just that it's not what I prefer most of the time. When I do have a desire to wear it, I do find it very enjoyable for at least an hour or so. Longevity and sillage are good to excellent.

Samba Kiss Me Man by Perfumer's Workshop

I'd categorize this with fragrances like Jaipur Homme, but it struck me as most like Coromandel, except with a strong lime note up top, which stays for a long time. It's just a little "powdery," so don't let that scare you off, if you don't like this quality. Longevity and sillage are at least very good. Otherwise, I'd say just read garzagallery's reveiw. I got 50 ml bottles for $5 each, so how can it not be worth a blind buy at that price, if you like such fragrances?

U by Ungaro for Him by Ungaro

I'm mostly interested in drydowns, so I won't speak to the top notes (which aren't very strong anyway). I knew the drydown smelled like something familiar but it took me quite a while to place it. The tonko, spice, and fruit seem to be creating a cannoli-like quality for me. However, there is also a "synthetic" woody thing going on that is not nice at all. These different accords waft in and out, and I don't find it an especially pleasant experience. The cannnoli accord on its own would be pleasant but probably get boring within the first hour or so, but when the other accord is added, it's just not worth wearing to me. If you like it, it's a great bargain, but I have to give it a negative rating because I just don't like it, though it's definitely not a horrible scent.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Great if you like your frag on the sweet side. I especially like the eucalyptus note in this one. Body Kouros is fresh, masculine and quite intense. And different from the rest of the crowd. Another winner from the House of Saint Laurent!

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

One of my favourite frags from the House of Saint Laurent. I like the way it develops on my skin. The head may put some people off, but the real beauty of this scent lies in its heart and especially in the base. I love the agarwood note and the musky/ambery drydown. The base is a tad sweet- but never too sweet or cloying. I love the supposedly controversial ad featuring the naked and hairy Samuel de Coubert- it captures the essence of M7 perfectly, in my opinion. Bravo, YSL!

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

A lighter version of M7. The grapefruit note is blended very well in this one. It´s a summer scent that definitely stands out from the crowds of other summer fragrances. My only objection is its longevity- doesn´t last longer than 2-3 hours on my skin.

bbBD's avatar

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense EdP. It took me a while to come across a bottle of Dior Homme Cologne and it was worth the wait! First off, there is no indication that this is an EdC concentration, rather it is simply titled 'Cologne'. The strength and longevity indicate it's likely an EdT concentration. The Cologne is NOT a watered-down version of the original. Rather it's a new interpretation of the original, and a very successful one.

Compared to the original EdT, the iris on which the fragrance is constructed is far more prominent while the gourmand notes (vanilla, cocoa) are far more subtle. Overall this is probably the best version of all the Dior Hommes vis-a-via balance and construction. The brightness of the topnotes hints at an underlying touch of citrus not noticeable in the EdT. The vanilla, cocoa, vetiver, and leather come in slowly - never overpowering the iris.

While the sillage isn't as strong as the EdT, the longevity remains very good. Having a 125ml bottle encourages me to use Dior Homme Cologne more like a body spray, liberally applying over my entire torso. I can enjoy the fragrance without projecting it ten feet around me (as happens with the EdP), making the Cologne perfect for situations that call for less sillage.

While I still love the brash, gourmand vulgarity of the EdP, I can't help but think that Dior Homme Cologne is the 'ultimate' and most well done expression of Dior Homme.

nucker's avatar

Devin by Aramis

Vibert's review is bang on - and apparently prophetic. My wife sprayed it on a card and brought home for my enjoyment. The salesperson told her that it is discontinued. I procured a 110 ml bottle asap. I have not confirmed the discontinuance with any official sources, but just to stay on the safe side, I plan to use it sparingly enough to last me years. I recommend anyone with a passion for the classics, do yourself a favour and pick up a bottle.

theduchess48124's avatar

Je Reviens by Worth

I have always lilked this fragrance, a warm well balanced floral. I liked it in the 70s because it was so unfashionable. I like it today for the same reason. It's a very good bit of perfumery! I think the parfum or edp is the way to go with this one.

theduchess48124's avatar

Maitresse by Agent Provocateur

On my skin, the big floral took completely over and made me think I was wearing maybe an Elizabeth Taylor fragrance? Kinda loud, and not a lot of development, so I just got sick of smelling it by the afternoon.

underglass's avatar

Skin Musk / Bonne Bell Skin Musk by Prince Matchabelli

I am not a fan of musk in any way. Most smell pungent, “gummy” (for lack of a better word), and anything but fresh. White musk is a rotted disaster. Skin Musk is the only musk I have found that acutely smells “clean”. Skin Musk has a bit of vanilla in it that gives a Shalimar-like bent to the dry down. I used to wear it in college. I tried some recently, and though it is the nicest musk I have smelled, it’s just not for me.

David Ruskin's avatar

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I think the note that everyone is objecting to is a hefty clunk of Methyl Salicylate; that medicated Oil of Wintergreen note found in all sorts of muscle rubs. There is some Methyl Sal in natural Tuberose, just not that much. Once all that dies down, all that is left is a rapidly fading white floral. I was somewhat unimpressed

David Ruskin's avatar

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I did not find this Jasmin indolic enough. I was hoping for a good rich animalic accord which makes real jasmin so special, and I hoped in vain. What I did find was an increasing sweaty, almost cuminic, note which just got stronger and stronger; and I did not like it one bit.

auee's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Somerville Metro Man wrote "I know if I was stuck with just one bottle Rive Gauche pour Homme would be a great choice." I agree and would go further; it would actually be choice. This scent has it all for me, sillage, longevity, and a beautiful scent to me and everyone else who has commented on it. If this ever gets discontinued, it will be a very sad day for millions of men.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

With bergamot and lemon in the top notes, you'd expect it to smell like every other male frag in today's market. Yet it doesn't, at least not until the copycats gear into production. There is a certain powdery sweet-woodsy element that gives an unusual twist to Armani's usual citrusy offerings. Attributable to the olive flower + guiac wood perhaps?

Despite its rather inflated price, Armani Code remains a bestseller. No prizes for guessing who's laughing their way to the bank.

laral28's avatar

Ellenisia by Penhaligon's

This is perhaps my favorite. I love the gardenia which comes off surprisingly warm to me. I am unable to express everything that I smell with it, but what it reminds me of is strong femininity. I feel beautiful when I wear this and that is a powerful achievement for a small spritz. It is also long-lasting. I will sum it up as saying that this is a fragrance that makes me breathe a little deeper when I'm wearing it.

rp123's avatar

Castile by Penhaligon's

Tried this today. Call me a philistine, but all I'm getting is a soapy mess. Bland and unattractive. Not for me....

Not4you's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

The orange and spice opening is sharp to my nose but in a refreshing way. This opening fades quickly into the vanilla, musk and wood tones that remind me of my grandfathers silvertip badger hair shaving brush, and reading on rainy days at the old family cottage.

Pleasant and comforting, a scent for relaxing and lazy days.

shamu1's avatar

Woods of Windsor for Men / Gentleman by Woods of Windsor

This is a classic, very old-school, British-styled fragrance, plain and simple. Although leather is not listed as a note, wearing this constantly brings to mind images of leather saddles, the interior of an old Bentley, leather-bound chairs, country clubs, old libraries, etc.. It's very spicy and woody, in a very gentlemanly, formal and a bit stodgy way. It's made of good quality ingredients from what I can tell and is inexpensive so is definitely worth buying if you're looking for a very proper, formal fragrance.

If you enjoy the re-release of Dunhill For Men 1934, you'll like this too, because they smell just about identical.

MY RATING: 8/10

24th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th August, 2012)