Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Not4you's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

The orange and spice opening is sharp to my nose but in a refreshing way. This opening fades quickly into the vanilla, musk and wood tones that remind me of my grandfathers silvertip badger hair shaving brush, and reading on rainy days at the old family cottage.

Pleasant and comforting, a scent for relaxing and lazy days.

24 August, 2009

shamu1's avatar

Woods of Windsor for Men / Gentleman by Woods of Windsor

This is a classic, very old-school, British-styled fragrance, plain and simple. Although leather is not listed as a note, wearing this constantly brings to mind images of leather saddles, the interior of an old Bentley, leather-bound chairs, country clubs, old libraries, etc.. It's very spicy and woody, in a very gentlemanly, formal and a bit stodgy way. It's made of good quality ingredients from what I can tell and is inexpensive so is definitely worth buying if you're looking for a very proper, formal fragrance.

If you enjoy the re-release of Dunhill For Men 1934, you'll like this too, because they smell just about identical.

MY RATING: 8/10

24 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2012)

JaimeB's avatar

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

A salty, slightly bitter scent, with overtones of spice, a sweet floral note, earthy root notes, a celery- like note (lovage) and an underlying iris almost devoid of powdery effect. This is a tour-de-force of a fragrance, whose character is beautiful without a trace of prettiness. The beauty is in the audacity of it, and in its extreme rawness and earthiness. The geranium and one of the vetivers in it are called "Bourbon," after the pre-French-Revolution name of the Indian Ocean island of Réunion, an overseas region of France; this island is a perfumer's emporium of exotic white florals, aromatic grasses, vanilla, and geranium, among others. Anyway, wear Sel de Vétiver, and you're bound to attract attention!

LiveJazz's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

I like Escada Homme. It opens with fairly straightforward accord dominated by a mandarin note. The mandarin is quickly joined by the famous cognac. I wouldn't be able to identify it as cognac per se, but it is definitely boozy. In the context of the scent, it smells like a nice orange liquor, with cardamon and some other sweet spices in the background.

Up to this point, the Escada smells very thick. I envision big, wet scent molecules. You can almost feel the scent's presence around you (I get the same feeling from M7...must be the thick, fruity, spiciness).

However, over the course of about 20 minutes, the scent calms down and dries out drastically. While I appreciate the opening, this is the part where I start to really like the scent. The accord retains a light, peppery, boozy note from the opening, but the foundation is a heavenly sandalwood/musk duo on me. I wish the patchouli showed through more, but that's ok because it smells great just how it is. A very attractive scent with a beautifully structured evolution. Get it cheap!

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris

Top: sweet orange, angelica racine, bergamot from Italy and Sicilian lemon. Rosemary, red thyme, French tarragon and lavender.
    Heart: petigrain essence and Tunisian neroli
    Base: oak-moss, vetiver and patchouli leaves
    This is a very fine scent. The opening is bright, refreshing, and very citrusy. The herbs quickly join in. Thyme and tarragon are especially noticeable, but not overdone. Rosemary then appears with its typical minty-pine freshness. Then, the beating mellow orange heart becomes apparent, and it is lovely. And finally, the dry-down is very satisfying, containing cushy vetiver and a lightly salted moss note.

fusion's avatar

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

This is a very nice fragrance, probably one of the better fragrances released in the last 2 yrs. The longevity is exceptional lasted a minimum of 12 hrs, sillage is also great the scent surrounded me in such a fascinating way that I couldn't help fall in love with it. All in all this fragrance is a winner a thumbs up and a must try.

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2009)

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Powerful stuff! My mom wore it to slight excess when I was a young girl. I found it charming then, I thought that's how all perfume smelled. In my teens, I would have run far, far away from a bottle, but now that I've discovered the delights of the rose chypre thanks to Ungaro's Diva, I'm thinking: a 15 ml bottle would not go amiss. I find it very similar to Diva, but not as soft, it keeps an edge straight through. Lovely classy bottle, good name. This should be more popular, and will be, when the great Rose Chypre Revival of 2020 strikes :)

blondex199667's avatar

Montana Parfum de Peau by Montana

I am also a product of the 80s and loved Claude Montana. I still have a few jackets and suits and will never stop wearing them or get rid of them. I met him at Bloomingdale's in Chicago when he came for the fragrance launch. His was the first fragrance marketed to women that I ever dared to wear. Man did I get compliments on it! Truly, it's worth buying even if you've never smelled it because the flacon is like a Lalique sculpture. It remains my favourite packaging of all time. BTW I think this would probably be considered a chypre fragrance by most people.

Tony T's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

a lot of fruity top notes. that are undetectable. too many mid-notes. bottom notes don't have a kick. london is a much needed update. still burberry demands compliments.

Tony T's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

an ok floral with 20 plus notes. this is very disturbing and mind boggling also. at it's high price you would expect something great or fabolous. this however is a mundane run of the mill green/floral. i will be selling my bottle on ebay soon.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Vétyver Haiti by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I purchased a full bottle of this in the mid 1990's, but haven't worn it much over the years even though I like it.. Since then I've amassed a collection of many scents both new and vintage...enough that I am able to compare them for differences and similarites. When I decided to wear Vetyver Haiti today, I noticed some things that I hadn't noticed in the past, such as the cinnamon-like note along side the stong vetiver that I think is coming from the combination of carnation and clove. As the scent dried down further, I immediately noticed how similar it is to Molinard's Habanita and this is due to the fact that the ever-present vetiver is now joined by a creamy vanilla note. I even pulled out the Habanita to smell them side by side, and sure enough, they are very similar. At the base, Vetyver Haiti is like Habanita meets Mitsouko.

bbBD's avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

I've enjoyed Bois des Iles for quite some time but I've never dared write a review because the sheer scope of its beauty surpasses my capacity to articulate or describe it. Reading Vibert's excellent comments makes me realize that I need not have to write 'the topnotes are this, the basenotes are that..." to write a good review. If you're looking for a specific description of notes there are many such reviews on this page, zztop's being particularly good.

Therefore this review will describe the feeling of Bois des Iles. It is class in a bottle and it is unmistakably Chanel. I love giving myself a healthy application and basking in a fragrance-bubble of BdI's blend of florals and sweetened sandalwood, the mix of which is given the slightest gourmand hint and then lifted by aldehydes. Many Chanel fragrances exude class - No.5, No.22, Egoiste, etc. - what sets Bois des Iles apart is it's remarkable versatility. It can be worn comfortably by men or women anywhere and in any situation. For some reason I never feel comfortable knocking around the house in a scent such as Egoiste. Something about it requires a suit or tux. Bois des Iles fits whatever I'm doing, whether it be dressing up for an event or walking my dog to the local Starbucks. Not only does it fit whatever I'm doing, but it enhances whatever I'm doing by wrapping me in its warm, inviting aroma.

As Vibert articulates, everyone with an interest in perfumery must sample Bois des Iles. I would take the suggestion one further. I recommend that one continually revisit Bois des Iles. I was fairly new to fragrance when I first sampled it and all I knew was that I liked it. Months later I could appreciate its sandalwood note and aldehydes, and months after that the subtle almond, vanilla, and gingerbread was what bowled me over. Over the last few months my interest has turned towards vintage, and today I can appreciate the timeless genius of this Beaux creation as a perfume that is as relevant today as it was nearly 85 years ago, yet without feeling the slightest bit dated.

Today I wearing BdI from an early '90s bottle. Sadly the reformulation performed when BdI was moved to the Les Exclusifs line has taken something away from this fragrance. It's still Bois des Iles but the sandalwood isn't quite as rich, the ginger not as sharp, and in general it has a more floral feel. If you can find a pre-Exclusifs bottle I recommend doing so, even if it requires patience. I waited nearly two years for the right bottle to fall in my lap and now that it has I can't recall how I lived without it.

Aznavour's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

The current eau de toilette opens a bit fuel-like, a bit bitter and dry, progresses to wood and then ends up smelling vintage face powder. I don't hate it but I didn't experience rapturous visions of exotic princesses or anything.

Aznavour's avatar

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

Citrusy-something over what I'm pretty sure is Iso E... so basically, Light Blue Extra Light.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Around Midnight by Mark Buxton

Comes on strong. Well, it is supposed to evoke a Parisian nightclub, though that category covers a multitude of sins and this will not work for those trying to revive memories of Le Trap (they cannot be many). Also : Thelonious Monk’s classic is called ‘Round Midnight’ and that would have been a better name, not only because it’s correct. Oh the scent ? A small dab releases a hefty waft of essence de Buxton – grainy, ticklish with pepper, cloudy, resinous. This one is sweeter and more floral than the hot,dry blast of Ourzazate, more in the direction of his Vetiver for Le Labo but not quite all the way down that path (you don’t end up smelling of pale toffee). Buxton is one of those artists who rings the changes on a limited set of notes, like Ivy Compton-Burnett or the Pet Shop Boys, so fans of his work like me will find this one comfortingly familiar, which is not how I like my Paris night-clubs.

MFJ's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

I get a very smokey almost syrupy opening from this. The vanilla sure takes its time to blossom, and is accompanied by some mild woody notes. The overall experience is wonderful. All the praise is deserving, though pretty costly to acquire at full retail price.

24, Faubourg by Hermès

24 Faubourg was my signature fragrance before Basenotes came into my life. A wonderful orange blossom scent that is long lasting. It has this ability to embue the wearer with an air of sophistication and wealth - as only a Hermes can. Very lovely . It can feel intensely perfumey . I had the best compliment a few years ago. I was wondering around Singapore's Changi Airport's duty free and I had sprayed myself a little too much with this ! A lady came rushing by me , then she doubled back ,grabbed me and said " What is that perfume you are wearing ? It is the most beautiful smell- I have to have it ! " I did tell her and she proceeded to buy a bottle.
    So if you want sophistication, luxe and to project a certain air of chic- ness- this is the one to go for.

Beyond Love by By Kilian

Beyond Love fulfills my tuberose needs ! I love this - to me this is a mix of Tubereuse Criminelle, Carnal Flower and Fracas. It starts off slightly gasoline - like ,green ,a little camphorous and then it's tuberose, indolic,thick and there 's even abit of a cheese note ( savory rather than blue cheese ! ) . I love this, it's full bodied, long lasting and close to a signature scent for me.

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe

A complex ,balsamic dark perfume of violets and damp earth. The name is very fitting. This is beautiful in the extrait form and is tenacious. This is one of the most beautiful violet perfumes I have used. Gothically romantic and definitely unisex. A winner for Ava Luxe.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Such a powdery floral that I swear I smelled like my grandmother. The floral is so strong & nauseatingly sweet that it made me ill wearing it. I tried many times to wear it because I hated the idea of having wasted my money on it (that's what ya get for not waiting to see how the scent lives with you), but I just couldn't stomach wearing it anymore. Finally it had sat around so long that I just threw out the bottle which was nearly full.

No. 19 by Chanel

You know I really thought I'd like this one considering it has many fragrance notes that I love. But somehow it just doesn't smell quite right to me. It was a little too something that I just can't put my finger on, (too mature maybe?). I can see how it might be nice for someone else, there's lovely scents in there, but this particular formulation just does not work with my body chemistry.

Navy by Dana

I loved Navy as a teen. I always felt so grown-up wearing this fragrance, as opposed to something like Sweet Honesty that seemed too immature for me at the time. It was a nice, fresh scent and it lasted all day! While I no longer use it (smells a little on the strong side now), I have fond memories of my first "real" perfume.

shamu1's avatar

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

I miss Balenciaga Pour Homme terribly and I pray that they consider re-issuing it. I wore this a lot during the mid-1990s and I regret not buying backup bottles. It's one of the most potent fragrances I've ever experienced, as well as the most unique and strange. The initial patchouli blast attacks you with face-punching brutality right out of the atomizer and dries down to what I consider a bizarre and almost moldy-smelling green moss accord. Basically, Balenciaga Pour Homme is a green, mossy patchouli sledgehammer with unbelieveable longevity and sillage. Hard to believe you could buy a big bottle of this masterpiece for like $15 at Marshalls just a few years ago. Two huge thumbs up for Balenciaga Pour Homme.

Kitty_'s avatar

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Jasmine!!! A clean floriental, kind of warm but mysteriously cool at the same time, not too sweet, lasts quite a few hours.
    Great for Summer.
    Sophisticated and elegant, fresh, classy, pleasant and innoffensive.
    One of the best Diors.
    My Mother bought this for me as a gift and at first I wasn't really sure about it; but now it is an important part of my perfume wardrobe, espcially good for those days when I need a confidence boost.
    I totally agree with Sunnyfunny that this perfume has an Ice Queen quality about it, like a certain alloofness or coldness and superiority complex; a good one to wear when you need to remind others of their place, keep them at a distance or put up boundaries to protect yourself.....?
    Gorgeous bottle.
    An excellent perfume.

Kitty_'s avatar

Magical Moon by Hanae Mori

This is a very beautiful, sophisticated and unusual perfume.
    I absolutely adore it.
    Different enough to be noticed, and so balanced and pleasant it could be worn in conservative environments, Magical Moon is well mannered yet exotic, and mysterious..
    It is warm, smooth, creamy, slightly sweet and well blended.
    For the first hour or so, it is pretty strong, the drydown is so beautiful, slightly powdery, and it lasts a lot longer than many other fragrances.
    I use the EDT.
    I can smell just the right amount of coconut, orange, musk, incense, amber, a touch of vanilla and some other nice scents I don't know the names of.
    To me this is the scent of a warm, sensual, elegant and slightly alternative woman who is probably over 30.

masj78's avatar

AquaTonic by Conquest Personal Care

Nice oceanic scent, but doesn't last long on my skin or have much impact. Has floral and citrus opening notes. Then dries down to mild soapy and slightly spicey notes. Suitable I think as a casual evening aftershave.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

As we all know fragrance smells different on each person so the idea of a signature scent is really rather funny since we already have our own scent and perfume just adds to it. Poor "Angel" she has unfairly been label a whore when a saint is really what she is. It's peoples misuse of her that has tarnished her good name. Angel was new and different and ready to be loved and loved she was. Then the imitators begain to appear talk about "whores" and very cheap ones at that. When I wear Angel I feel very happy and those around me feel happy. So I will continue to wear her and defend her honor. May Angel live forever!

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2009)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

The first time I smelled A*Men was on a friend of my fathers (an MP no less) and I thought I have to have whatever that scent is. It is the scent I wear the most and never grow tired of it if fact it has become my signature scent. My friends all love it on me but are too afraid of it to wear it themselves, which I love and smile to myself about since I don't want them smelling like me anyway. The reviews that are negative are so strange to me but we all have our own tastes. For the record I do use a light hand as you should with all fragrances even citrus.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

This one is just not to my liking it does have the smell of scotch whiskey which puts me off as did B*Men, ah well to each his own and I own A*Men and and love it to bits.

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Life Essence by Fendi

Some couple of monthes later...Just given it another try, on a windowcloth in my living room. To all i have currently sniffed,this would compare as an exceptional fruity oakmoss, so sentual and profound.Once again the element of "nothing else but the very essence" of the fragrance is pleasing my nose.You just dont get through all that unnecessary citrussy-herbal intro. this goes directly to what it was supposed to be -velvet soft fruity oakmoss.I guess i have to give it a plus point for being original and meaningful because this really does represent something beautiful.

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2009)