Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Theorema Uomo by Fendi

This one stands in the same row as Tommy and another one from Cartier(don't remember the name).I find there coriander (apparently the only one) and vetiver.Very green and fresh.This could also be a very refreshing aftershave.

dirusrules's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

I picked this one up while shopping with some birthday money as I had run out of my Calvin Klein Euphoria (awesome fragrance btw). This one smelled great right off the bottle and on the card so I sprayed my wrist and went about my business. This cologne has been my current favorite ever since. It is sweet, slightly fruity, and IMO very masculine. It blends with my natural skin chemistry very well and seems to last forever. It has good projection and doesn't come off too overbearing. It is a very sensual, sexy, and seductive smell for me. This being said, I could see it being extremely overbearing if overapplied. It took me three days to find my ideal sprays, but once I found my sweet spot... oh was it sweet! This, as stated before, is a pretty linear smell and if you like it at the beginning you'll like it all the way through. I constantly find myself smelling little drafts of it throughout the day and I love it. I find it to be a somewhat "cocky" scent so be sure you can pull this off before putting it on. This cologne has brought me nothing but tons of female attention and compliments among other things ;) This is just me but I won't be changing or getting rid of this one for a while.

seasoldiermarine's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

There are films and songs that are talked about with reverence and respect decades after there release. azzaro pour homme is the fragrance version of these. I remember being a young teenage buck in the streets of nyc (I'm a Bronx boy) when all the classy Gentlemen of the late 70's early 80's wore this with pride because they knew they smelled great. these were Chaps of all ages, in there 20's, 30's, 40's and even older. and they always had that extra stride in there step. and believe me the ladies dug this stuff. I've heard women tell me this is the sexiest scent they've ever smelled, more than any other fragrance I've ever worn. By far. and I wear many different scents. I wore this then (even my Senior prom) and I'll wear it till I die. Absolutely Awesome

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 February, 2010)

LadyAubrie's avatar

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

I love this.

It's hard to please me with perfume nowadays...heavier scents are definitely in at the moment and I'm more about the light, clean, girly smells...

And that's exactly how I'd define this.

Since it's so new, my only exposure to it has been through the September 2009 issue of Vogue, but I fell in love with it right away. It doesn't force itself on you...it's more like it charms you, which I suppose was the designer's intention. It's subtle and light...but complex. It sort of draws you in and takes you with it. It doesn't lay heavy on your skin, either...it adapts itself to your chemistry and becomes part of you (at least it did with me).

I don't say this very often, but I'm totally in love with this fragrance.

maria eunice's avatar

Germany Germany

Cabotine by Grès

Since I discovered it exists, I have been using Cabotine. It's quite unique, sexy and classy. One cannot really find out which its components are, just that it's amazingly pleasant and its scent lasts for a long, long time. I have earned many compliments for using it as it develops wonderfully well on my skin. I love Cabotine !!!!!

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

it is the absolute worst smell i have ever put my nose on its bitter and disgusting and the notes totally conflict. the lavendar and bitter spices definately make this annoying and very synthetic and its a very harsh almost chemical smell and i would NOT reccomend this to anyone its like aramis, english leather, halston Z14, polo and all of the mossy leathery annoying scents everyone absolutely cannot stand

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2009)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

great scent if worn subtle, horrible scent if worn heavy but phenomenal drydown and very sensual

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

an enchanting and extremely sexy blend that is a work of art

ive heard people say this smells synthetic but its a masterful blend of mint, cinnamon vanilla and wormwood with some soft florals but it clearly has an edge and sexy aroma that people absolutely LOVE

its also the most powerful mens cologne i got and it lasts all day, has LOTS of sillage but for the scent this is all a plus

when it truly dries down i get a heavenly smell that is probably the best option if your clubbing

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

very fresh sporty scent for everyday wear i wore this as my first cologne and it was amazing stuff and now after revisiting it i realize how good it smells and its one of my signature scents

and its also a GREAT booster for other colognes

PS by Paul Sebastian

too spicy and old school nobody wears this anymore except retirees

Premium for Men by Phat Farm

great fresh scent
    the ocean breezes and florals work well with the woods and hint of citrus to give a great scent that is the signature east coast one

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

great scent and a chick magnet

high quality citrus with a great sensual spicy base that really makes u smell good and turns heads and i havent met any women who dont like it

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

when this stuff dries down it has the vanilla woodsy feel of JPG and is great for anyone. its refined and very masculine, but also a great scent for guys to wear anytime in the year and at any age on any occasion because it smells so good

Unforgivable by Sean John

i loved it when i first smelled it and its one of the best mens scents on the market, but becoming very common and still pricey

at the same time, a few times i smell this stuff and think its kinda chemical and some synthetics are in the matrix to hold the other scents in place that give a somewhat chemical feel, and the opening smells like a typical citrus with a little spice and ocean breezes, but its a sharp aromatic fresh fougere

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2009)

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

a much deeper sexier scent from the hugo boss line its probably the most masculine although sometimes it feels femnine

great anise and woodsy drydown and it gets a bit semi sweet but not overpowering and great smelling

Corduroy by Zirh

great all round scent and very fresh while mocking many more expensive scents with its extremely fresh feel soothing feel. this is one scent that seduces with its unisex appeal

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

easily the best celebrity scent besides derek jeter driven and unforgivable and sex panther

its extremely sexy and masculine and the lavendar, fruity notes cinnamon and vanilla make this very sexy and warm and its got some exotic woods and a very masculine woodsy base and a unique smell

Thallium by Jacques Evard

its a great fresh oriental fougere with EXCELLENT sillage and high quality for the low price

definately something to look into

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2009)

Thallium Sport by Jacques Evard

great sporty scent very green, well blended citrus and just enough floral, woods and outdoor feel to be invigorating
    highly reccomended

Black Pure Instinct by Karen Low

great masculine scent with a good wood base and very long lasting

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

its the other best seller besides aqua di gio at dept stores and i do not know why people like it so much it smells nice but NOT outstanding

its subtle, has a nice woodsy spicy insency aromatic drydown with a masculine edge and women even buy this for their boyfriends so u kno it got chick appeal

jus a little bit bland and i outgrew these types of scents after i started REALLY collecting

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

great fresh oriental to dump on when ur hittin the club the only downside is the lack of staying power and high price and the fact that this stuff smells like EVERY other cologne

its a sweetened scent and does not have individual notes that are all of that intresting they are just thrown in to give a hip fougere scent to hit the trend i persomnally prefer unforgivable, le male, issey miyake, kenneth cole black, phat farm premium they smell better and last longer and are WAY cheaper

25 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 October, 2009)

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

It took me a while to really appreciate Elle. Didn't like the original campaign (though I like Coco Rocha a lot), the cheap looking bottle (though I like hot pink) and "at first sniff" the fragrance seamed to me like a patchouli version of Stella McCartney Stella (also by Cavallier) . I quickly concluded that it was all too young for a "real" YSL.

Yet, now 2 years after the launch I changed my mind. I'm still not so sure about Elle's fruity topnotes (which remind me of Givenchy's Hot Couture) but I love it's distictive and sexy (if a bit masculine) amber/patchouli drydown. Like all great YSL fragrances Elle has an excellent sillage: it can fill a whole metro car. So, Elle is not really one of those inoffencive office scents. Elle is not "younger" than Opium, the great Paris or Cinema but it is just more contemporary. It's for all sexy women (not girls) 21 and way up.

Love the simple and affective new ad campaign for Elle Shocking, which is much more in tune with the modern YSL fashion lable image.

Still hate the bottle (the refillable handbag spray is way more chic-looking), I would have much prefered to see Elle in the new Parisienne bottle.

Dior makes a more volumptous (and peachy) version of Elle under its Midnight Poison line (Cavallier again). If Elle is a black YSL smoking suit, than Midnight Poison is a black lace push-up bra.

Pepper's avatar

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Warm, but not too heavy, I love the nutty, woody and even doughy scent is delicious on me. Generally, I never layer fragrances, but if I want to wear one of my "sharper" fragrances that need a little something to round them out, Bois lovingly caresses them down. Maybe not lasting on it's own, but definitely more staying power in warm weather, or when combined... MMMMM!!

odysseusm's avatar

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris

This is a very good scent. It is in three stages, and in my opinion if it retained more of its first half characteristics it would be a superb scent. The first stage is an excellent green herbal chord, just the sort of thing I love. The clary sage gives the usual dusky dry note. Thyme is prominent but handled well and does not suggest salad dressing. The rosemary is minty, almost like eucalyptus. Together these three elements make a striking, even unusual combination. It is somewhat medicinal, a bit suggestive of lineament – and yet very compelling (at least for lovers of green notes). The floral heart seems very brief to me. Clearly iris is the dominant note, and it too is well done – a bit fleshy and earthy but not oppressive. The base alternates between a sweetish leather and a salty moss. I don’t find this to be a VERY salty scent, I just get a hint of salt. The scent is restrained, complex, and classy.

grizzlesnort's avatar

Flowers for Men - Gardenia by Neil Morris Fragrances

Very wearable. I don't get much of the top or base notes but the hay, cut grass and really more like honeysuckle than gardenia-these are quite present. This not the heavy swamp gardenia that wears you. The cut grass and hay took it to the Midwest. It's polite and says yessir and yes ma'am.

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Weekend for Women by Burberry

A wonderfully sweet floral gem from Burberry. I have always enjoyed the carefree quality of this scent, it is a scent you can just put on and enjoy. To look a the notes for this scent one would think, "oh, another fruity floral.", but it is so not even close to one. It opens with a fresh note that is fruit-like, something akin to what one experiences with "real" fruit. It is not the typical "fruity" syrupy gooey opening that most have; one which you know will grow sweeter and more intense by the time a floral note comes along to try and save the day. Not Weekend, this fruity fresh opening is given a little soul, i believe from the sap, which keeps it grounded and far from confectionery. When the floral notes come out, they are there to enhance what you have already experienced, not to change it, nor to save you from a diabetic seizure. The florals are full bodied, yet soft and comforting, not trying to take center stage, but putting a fresh glow on the whole thing. The joy of the florals is that they stay with you for the duration, yes they soften and change personality, to make way for the basenotes, but they keep the whole composition from becoming weighed down. Now as for the basenotes listed; cedar wood, sandalwood and musk, they do not try to push everything else off the stage, as these notes are sometimes prone to do, they mostly just add a wonderful depth to the fragrance and work in unison with the softened floral notes to gently glide you into the drydown.
    Truly a wonderful creation, from a fashion house whose other scents have left me quite cold. A huge thumbs up and recommendation for others.

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Sweet Courrèges by Courrèges

Sweet white floral fragrance, absolutely perfect on a warm spring or summers day. A wonderfully delicious alternative to the overpopulated syrupy sweet category of scents. A grown-up confectionery delight for the senses.
    Very under-appreciated and neglected, yet it remains a 10 out of 10!

KIG's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus has always been one of a kind. During the 80’s a lot of houses tried to copy it. Some did better than others, but none succeeded in developing a formula, that marks the end of the 70’s and the beginning of the new decade better than Chanel.
    Antaeus envelops the evolution of modern fragrance. Leather, wood, rose and beeswax are prominent. Thyme, citrus, patchouli, bergamot and coriander play along. The freshness and depth are in superb balance.
    Very potent. To my nose it doesn’t feel dated; it is a powerhouse that makes no excuses. Longevity is superb – 12 to 16+ hours on my skin.
    It is at its best on cooler evenings in places associated with class and self respect. Not for the young crowd, but eventually we all get older… Not for the office, well it all depends if you can pull it off.
    Yes, there are some differences between the one I use to wear during the 80’s and the new one. But for me personally, the current one is just as good. I don’t think Mr. Jacques Polge has gambled too much with his crown jewel.
    One of the best fragrances I own.

26 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Eau des 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane

Most fabulous mens' cologne scent I've ever tried. Sadly, this was a few years ago and I don't have a sample to hand, but seeing it here now made me VERY sad that L'Occitane is no longer in South Africa. My father went through two bottles of this delicious woody herby delight of fresh countryside.