Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

JDE's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Strong, warm, affable, simple, excellent. Like Old Spice mixed with T&H's Trafalgar. I get more than the notes listed, especially in the opening - neroli? Orange? A veritable Tuscan citrus grove which adds a nice levity to the patchouli which is evident from the very beginning.
    This is an ideal spring fragrance as it exudes a kind of warm and inviting feeling. Longevity is very good and it projects well. I actually think it's a little too loud, but it's such a charmer it doesn't annoy. In very hot weather it can be a little stifling though. I like the bottle design, despite the cheap looking but super-effective atomiser. Very nice!

JDE's avatar

Féerie by Van Cleef & Arpels

Parma Violet sweets and rose water. Very light, but lasts a surprisingly long time. Refreshing Fizzy Vimto aroma for the first couple of hours but then becomes very muted and quite sad for some reason as the rose becomes more dominant. If the violet could have hung in longer to temper the rose a little, it would have been a much more uplifting frag.

Personally, the bottle get 10 points. The contents are a little more disappointing, and slightly overpriced for me.

YouCanCallMeMo's avatar

No. 23 by Ava Luxe

I also get incense and amber notes in No 23. The sandalwood takes enter stage, but these other marvelous warm notes only serve to enhance the main scent. No 23 is Delicious, rich and delightful. Yes, a cousin to Tam Dao via the Sandalwood....but I get a slightly more feminine vibe from No 23. Both are excellent unisex fragrances, but I'd say Tam Dao leans masculine and No 23 more feminine.

I sample and wear various wood and incense scents to bed every evening...and No. 23 is the only one that ALWAYS has my husband sniffing my neck and exclaiming, "You smell really, really good!"

A gem of the niche fragance world...accessible and unique all at once!

Jack's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This smell great. It smells more like Chez than CW, and that's ok I think Chez is great as well.

02 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 October, 2009)

Jack's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

I like the creed house. I just want to give another thumbs up for this. Great amber.

laral28's avatar

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

This is going to seem quite inarticulate, but I'm at a loss for words. This is bringing out childhood memories of going camping and waking up to the freshest air carrying the smell of the blooming outdoors. Cheesy I know but this makes me feel so clean as it settles in and then the simple rose starts to chime in softly. I love it!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

YES, this mens cologne is one that you realy need to be very carefule when you put this on,to much can hurt, to long ,well the smell can realy stink,i mean it will smell like an old folk fragrnce, BUT ,when done rite this can be a awesome scent, my advice get it all, cologne, shower gel, deodarent spray this is a keeper i also think its awesome that each cologne has a commic book hero story for its fragrance this is very kool, so be careful with this one..... til next time SUPER HEROS WANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

THIS ONE OF thierry mugler line of SUPER HERO scents is kinda sharp when first put on it ,its better when i also use the shower gel to the drydown is very nice, at my place of work im in close contact with clients all day and what realy matter is how it smells to them and so far they like it so this one i will keep.

360 Degrees White For Men by Perry Ellis

I see that it is very close to LE MALE, but if you are a cologne collecter you will notice that its very different, but close this is very sweet smell this is also great when working in the office co workers will njoy this, to bad they do not have shower gel. so also keeping in my collection

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

I found this one at nordstroms when it first came out they ,the fragrance makers found a way to use coffee in there creations, this is preaty kool,ever walk by and then you smell fresh coffee beans its like wow thats very nice so there now useing it in fragrance,and colognes as base notes and when the notes are perfect then the scent is very very nice, so i say keep going use the coffee in scents.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

THIS IS ONE THAT I WISH THEY WOUD MAKE MORE TO ITS LINE ,cologne, shower gel and deoderant spray, thierry mugler SUPER HEROS WANTED!!!!!!!!

jlb2287's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I don't really get the heavy caramel people seem to mention. I find this scent very spicy and woody and not in a food type of way that is being described here. The rhubarb and fruit notes do not last long on me (20-30 minutes). The heart notes remind me of Burberry London. However, this fragrance has a cleaner finish and it lasts much longer on me.

I can understand how some of you don't like this scent, especially those who bathe in it. But, if applied lightly, this is a very pleasant scent for fall or winter weather. Also, I have never tried nor smelled angel men, so my review has nothing to do with this fragrance's relationship with it's "big brother".

LATWOLA's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Until recently, I had never smelled any of Creed's fragrances. Wow, have I been missing out! I recently purchased Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water and Original Santal. Out of the four, I would have to say that Green Irish Tweed is my favorite with Millesime Imperial coming in a close second. I would definitely recommend this cologne to any man who wants to smell good. Of course, you have to take into account your body chemistry but, overall these are good quality fragrances.

Smilez's avatar

Estonia Estonia

Green Tea Revitalize by Elizabeth Arden

I absolutley love this scent. It's more citrucy than the original, but I love it. It makes you feel fresh, and stands out.

Smilez's avatar

Estonia Estonia

Christina Aguilera by Christina Aguilera

It's kind of a soft, sweet, fruity scent, wich doesn't stand out in any way. It's just so common. So if you like it, go ahead, get it, but if you want to stand out, take a look at escada's incredible me.

Luisetta's avatar

Enjoy by Jean Patou

I think this is a greatly underrated fragrance. I put it in the same fun, bright, confident and slightly vulgar category as Gucci's Rush. It's very fruity with tropical overtones but anchored by a welcome blast of dry earthy patchouli, which makes it an instant confidence booster suited to bare skin and hot weather. Enjoy is just short of loud on me and, surprisingly, given the alpha nature of its components (banana?), never cloys. it has excellent lasting power and a nice slightly smoky caramel drydown. I emptied a bottle a few summers ago and will probably buy another. (Joy fans be warned: apart from the name, there is no discernible relationship with that grande dame.)

Brut by Fabergé

Hi there :)

I bought this as suggested by my mom being told to be a sweet and accordable fragrance. She is right :) But I have to admit that the scent is nice even though I do not like it.

Cold by Benetton

Hi there :)

This fragrance is the cheapest one I ever used ^.^ And it is worth every single pence you paid for. The smell is refreshing and unique too.

Longevity for me is superb ^.^

Recommended for every day use :)

Colors Uomo by Benetton

Hi there :)

I have to say the price had blurred my vision on this fragrance when I picked up the other day. I have to say the scent is unique and nice but I have to admit that I don't like it at all :(

It is overpowering for me.

Hot by Benetton

Hi there :)

I have to say I bought this HOT fragrance to pair up with my COLD one. The sprayer in the shape of water tap really rocks and worth to be part of my collection.

The scent is very strong and overpowering for me. I am quite amazed with how synthetic the scent is. I truly prefer COLD over HOT and it is more girlie too :)

Brit for Men by Burberry

Hi there :)

I have to say that I am glad I picked up "Brit for men" as my first Burberry fragrance purely based on 102 reviews on this page (I could not find testers at Boots, Lboro). I have heard of the brand in perfume industry for so long but just started to collect some of its huge hitting EDT apart from my Polo Ralph Lauren EDT. I would regret if I did not buy it.

The scent is sweet and long-lasting. I think it is not overpowering for me. I really love it ^.^

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Hi there ^.^

I really love this fragrance as being a big fan of Polo Ralph Lauren myself. This EDT does not turn me down at all. It smells woody (agreed with foetidus), refreshing and adventurous as the name implies.

Only bad point is it does not last long on me. I have no idea about other people but the longevity of this EDT for me is 2 hours at most. The price is also a bit high compared to others, but not as high as Amrani Code :P

discovolante's avatar

Greece Greece

Comore by Montana

The similarities to Lagerfeld's Photo(which is 15 years older, by the way) are striking,not only regarding the top notes (lavender,lemon).According to pyramid by Osmoz.com they share ingredients in middle(coriander) and base notes(sandalwood) too!Comore even smells harsher and more synthetic.Who needs exact copies then?Neutral rating,only because I like Lagerfeld's creation.

Echo777's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Has a fuzzy, powdery fresh green grass smell that's accentuated by sweet bamboo juice and a touch of incense. Great for spring. Longevity is okay, average. All in all, not too sweet and not too dry. Not bad, but still not too amazing. Worth a go. I still prefer vetiver scents, but this is pretty close. Great bottle, too.

iMaverick's avatar

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

10 Corso Como--I think I remember passing by the place in Milan. I avoided shopping much in Milan, the prices were freaking me out.

I never heard of the scent until it was hugely raved about here on Basenotes. I was surprised to find it in Neiman Marcus, however when I tried it, I wasn't so enthused...hmmm, sandalwood and incense, love-love-love, why ever not?? Maybe because a 50ml bottle set me back $85. Ah well...

Flash forward several years and the luck of finding a bottle on eBay for less than 50 bucks. Ah! You're talking my language now.

I identify with sandalwood so much. I don't understand how people can compare this scent to red wine, because it honestly does not smell like sour grapes to me. 10CC smells of rich and powdery sandalwood that gets better as it settles to a clear, mind-opening woody scent, that touches the inner senses.

I just realized why I didn't really care for 10 CC when I smelled it at Neimans. I didn't test it on my skin. At least not fully. Smelling it now I have great sillage and you marvel at its simplicity smelling so complex. This is the stuff you love creating a fine mist all over you because it smells so sublime!

Go get some of this!

iMaverick's avatar

Costes by Hôtel Costes

For years I wanted this fragrance. I wonder why it took me so long to get a bottle. I REMEMBER! It is dang so expensive. Thank goodness for eBay for the acquirement of a barely used bottle for less than half the retail price.

Costes is a subtle, sharp, but woody fragrance. The balance of this fragrance is impeccable. Therapeutic and makes you feel sophisticated all at the same time. It has a soapy kind of smell to it due to the rose, but it is perfectly tempered by the bay, pepper and coriander.

This is the perfect scent to start you off in the exploration of incense based and niche scents.

odysseusm's avatar

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

Note: I have the gold-coloured EDT in concentrée form. The opening is lemony with a strong bergamot note. The scent quickly moves to a carnation/clove and spice phase which is warm and aromatic. There is a bit of dry wood from the cedar. The short-term drydown is that of a dry and lean patchouli, with its characteristic hint of leather. Monsieur Rochas is not a green fern-y fougere in the style of Crown Fougere. It is a gold/brown spicy-leathery fougere. The ultimate drydown is a dusky and slightly salty old-school oakmoss. This is well-done 70’s scent: it is assertive and yet mellow, and quite masculine in style.

odysseusm's avatar

Lavender and Italian Lemon by Potter & Moore

This has a good opening: the lemon is green and fresh, and the lavender is dry and slightly smoky. This is a simple summer spritz, not complicated or deep, and it is inexpensive. The drydown is quite good. It is not heavy, sweet or powdery and it has reasonable longevity. The accompanying bath oil is lovely (it has a lemon-cream and lavender scent) and the luxury body crème is amazingly rich.

andischatz's avatar

Germany Germany

Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man by Byredo

I discovered this in Munich last week and it was actually recommended to me by the salesperson - usually not a good sign, but this time she was spot on - apparently this is exactly the fragrance I had been looking for. It's classic yet memorable, fresh yet warm and even though it says "Cologne" on the bottle, it has quite a lot of staying power (which is unusual for my skin). I adore the clean and no-nonsense quality of the scent, which is uplifting and sophisticated. This fragrance doesn't go for a cheap thrill (wouldn't be appropriate at this kind of price) but convinces with sophistication and style. It is rather pricy, but exclusivity rarely comes cheap. -- Very very nice indeed!

Agent Zero's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

It actually has less longevity than Eau d'Orange Verte!!! I can't believe that. Even as I write this I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that concept. I really think you have to try hard to make a scent this wimpy. For the hour that it lasts, it has a very nice grapefruit accord backed up with light vetiver. I can't identify anything resembling rose however.

To top it off, it's rather expensive. Shame on you Hermes and JCE! You can do so much better! It gets a neutral however because it does smell good.