Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Kaern's avatar

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

A very austere and stripped down fragrance -- a totally turbo charged cedarwood that comes across as medicinal and a touch boring in its simplicity. I don't dislike the smell, but for what it is there are much cheaper alternatives, especially amongst the CDG incense range. I also noticed that the longevity wasn't great. Not worth the money.

Kaern's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

I'm not sure what happened to my original review of this -- it may have been pulled because of the comments I made about Luca's book -- the point being that ok, he is a recognised and respected nose, but in the end, apart from some technical aspects, it is all just so subjective -- like saying blue is a better colour than yellow. I mean, witness the thumbs up on the board for this fragrance, whereas everything I personally hate about male fragrances lies in Diamonds.

tanto's avatar

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

This is an old classic that I do enjoy wearing every now and then. It's simple and easy but most important, it smells so clean. As many women have said, it smells so virile. It's the "epitomy" of manliness, and that's all there is to it !!

jalexhrovat's avatar

Coriolan by Guerlain

For me, this is a great office fragrance. It starts off with the notes of lemon, sage and bergamot; but quickly transitions to the middle notes. It is in the middle that I can only make out the juniper and the rest of the notes just meld together. It lingers in the middle for about an hour while the base starts to come out. It is here that the floral and almost feminine attributes bloom. Some would say that this could make it an unisex fragrance, and I agree to a degree. This is still a male fragrance in my opinion, and one that find simply fascinating. Even though this fragrance "lives on" in L'Âme d'Un Héros (aka "soul of a hero"), it still holds its individuality and I feel that Guerlain should not have taken it off the market because it wasn't getting mainstream appeal. At least Coriolan is a fraction of the price, and pretty much the same fragrance with some minor differences.

djolney's avatar

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Zino represents the height of elegance, masculinity, and romance, but (on me) it is tragically short lived.

The opening is fantastic. In Zino bergamot, sage, lavender, and rosewood make for a memorable combination. The opening is more intense than the opening of Montale’s Wild Aoud (which achieves a similar aromatic/green burst), is more elegant than Caron’s Third man (in which the lavender becomes harsh), and more refined than Chanel’s Egoiste (in which Polge tames his ingredients rather than letting them burst into life—as they do in Zino).

I never thought I would be so excited to wear a lily of the valley note, but Zino has given me a new appreciation for what can be done with this flower. The lily of the valley rests on rose, jasmine, and geranium, and the overall effect is a glorious floral heart.

The base is a soft woods and amber affair with just a little bit of musk and tobacco.

There is most certainly an interesting note that one might refer to as “romantic.” In short, something in the background of Zino smells like sex. My guess is that it is either a combination of saltiness from the rosewood, sweetness from the flowers, dirtiness from the patchouli, and a hint of something fiery from the geranium, or there is a very refined animalic musk lurking somewhere amongst the florals. Whatever it is, it is very attractive.

And now for the bad news: (on me) this fragrance has mediocre sillage and terrible longevity. It is completely gone within three hours. Oh how I wish there was an EdP version of this stuff.

I doff my hat to any of you who are lucky enough to be able to wear/smell this on yourself for several hours. It is a fantastic fragrance, and I wish it projected and lasted on my skin.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Salvador Dali pour Homme seems to attract a lot of metaphors, derision and the like. It also gathers good praise from those who appreciate (smell) its virtues. It is like Hugo's Quasimodo of Notre Dame, outwardly ugly, despised and derided, yet to those who really appreciate Hugo's story and the character of Quasimodo, a being with a beautiful and loving heart. His beauty had to be appreciated by his acts, putting aside the "negatives", giving him a fair chance in spite of his unappealing "externals" and reputation.

I love Salvador Dali pour Homme unreservedly and write this review surrounded the aura of its dry-down after 12 hours of wearing during a good day at work (coincidence? i dont really know) and yes, with a biased mind. The initial onslaught of leather-funked lavender and bergamot definitely requires a certain kind of wearer in order for SDpH not to be described as "hot tar and satan" and the other colourful metaphors here. My first sampling drew interesting looks from my 4-year old daughter and my wife. I initially thought: "what the blazes is THIS???!!!" I knew i was at a threshold of my fragrance experience and was glad i crossed it positively. Wifey liked it by the way.

To be honest, i still have not been able to get my nose around, by note, any of the florals i know are in this scent, but is the floral sweetness in it, apart from the vanilla, that makes this scent wearable. In about an hour into wearing, SDpH takes a turn into a much more mellow path, but all i can smell (and feel - strange!) is leather, leather and more leather. The notes do not indicate it but i always detected (subliminally?) castoreum, a lot of it. To confirm this, i have sprayed some AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo Castoreum (pure and natural as castoreum can be, with birch tar added) on one hand several times for a side-by-side with SDpH and yes, that is it. That "note" that has been described as blood, hades, smoke and what have you must be castoreum infusing itself into the other constituent notes. Sublime.

SDpH is one of those scents always in my nose while i wear it, yet it neither cloys nor wear me out. Rather, it keeps me thinking about it. In that sense one could say it is distracting, but positively and beautifully so.

As already indicated above SDpH's longevity is amazing. It is still going on significantly 12+ hours after!

Many thumbs up to SDpH and to the noses behind the scent. A fitting homage to the man Dali.

Neurotic Scientist's avatar

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

This smells quite nice but it is really not that much different than a quality neroli fragrance oil. Definitely not worth the price.

Neurotic Scientist's avatar

Moss Breches by Tom Ford

If Old Spice was made with refined, expensive, high quality ingredients, it would smell like this.

sjohnjay's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Q: What type of man might this cologne appeal to? A: Probably a high school aged one. Probably one who spends too much time at the local shopping mall, and wears flip-flops and a backwards baseball cap year-round!
    I find this totally bereft of personality, class, or any redeeming qualities in general. It smells like the epitome of "generic cologne circa 1998", even though it wasn't conceived for another decade. EVEN THE BOTTLE SUCKS!!!

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

I must be missing something here. Something I'm just incapable of sensing, surely? All I get is this weird, completely synthetic smelling approximation of leather. Like an overbearing, fake "new car" smell or the way pleather jackets would smell if they could. There is absolutely no sweetness, no incense, no spices, nothing else to my nose. Just fake leather overdone to the maximum. After 30 minutes I wanted this to just go away. My wife said it was nice and reviewers I trust often give it glowing reviews so I can only assume I'm missing all the nice aspects of this fragrance. As it is, it isn't unbearable but it just seems utterly pointless. A huge disappointment for me. Thumbs Down just because I would never wear this again.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Héritage by Guerlain

I recently bought a 1.7 oz HERITAGE purely on the merits of my vague yet positive recollection of it, having owned a bottle in the early 1990s. Now that I'm wearing it again I wish I had bought a larger bottle. For this is an exquisitely crafted oriental which bears all the hallmarks of Guerlain's earlier classics. In fact you'd be easily forgiven if you thought this was a classic from the 1920s for the construct is similarly complex - multifaceted yet harmoniously unified, with a depth that hints at profound artistry only a select few can muster. Better noses have described its scented symphony with far greater clarity than I could ever manage so I shall only offer my humble verdict: Héritage is, in a nutshell, luxury, refinement and class 'personified'.

26 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 October, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Black Sun by Salvador Dali

Warm like the 'Sun'. 'Black' like it's pitch dark, and you can't see where you are going. So it is with this sweet, powdery scent. Salvador Dali's Black Sun has trouble finding its way beyond that of being the less handsome cousin of Armani Code.

26 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2009)

Start20's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

XS Extrême pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Hate this fragrance so id probably hate the original. Its too strong for my taste. Not modern at all.

Start20's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

sweet warm rum and cinnamon, talk about cozy. you cant go wrong with this one. i love it.

Kitty_'s avatar

Tabu by Dana

I agree wholeheartedly with what some others have said here that Tabu would have been so much more with a higher price tag and a better marketing campaign.
    Tabu is far more sophisticated and refined than Angel imo. although I do feel that they both seem a bit old hat now, Tabu for me is 80's and Angel 90's; both very memorable scents of those decades for me, although Tabu is much older.
    I find Tabu smooth and well blended, slightly sweet in a good way; sultry, loud, moody, provocative, sexy and suggestive.
    This is not the perfume of a timid girl or old church mother; it is more suited to a woman who is forward and self confident, seeking to hypnotise and drag a man back to her boho boudoir for hot sex.
    Tabu is an evening scent imo. Wear it with heels and lipstick.
    It lasts for eons, projects well and wafts teasingly.
    There isn't much change from the top notes to the drydown.
    I detect patchoulli, amber and maybe wood and another scent or two, all seamlessley joined to become Tabu.
    I don't wear Tabu very often, but it is a staple in my wardrobe, for ahem.....special occasions.
    I don't think you will get better value for your perfume dollar than this.
    Give it a try, you won't be dissappointed.

Allure Homme by Chanel

London Calling? Burberry, that is. Bergamot and pepper maybe? not sure, but think you could go with London and save a bunch of cash. Good, but has that boozy, sour smell to me. This teeters right on the line of would I wear or not. Too sour to be sexy maybe?

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Is it the rose that I can't stand? Not sure, but this smells like my mom's perfume cabinet. "old" was actually the first thing that came to mind, sure I've smelled something like this, probably a long time ago. Couldn't stand the smell on me though, and wouldn't even want to wear it just around the house either. Wanted to like it, but the sampler will be going to the fragrance graveyard.....

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Hello? Drakkar Noir calling... It's not quite as potent as Drakkar, but for like what 3 or 4 times more expensive? not worth it...Nostalgia in a bottle for me though, love the smell, don't think I'd wear it in public though.

bpavilla's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Defiantly a solid scent. Not overly sophisticated but far from generic. This scent isn't overly strong but still seems to last a good deal longer than some more inexpensive scents which makes it worth the while. There are a few surprises as this fades away and at no point do I feel like I'm left with an unattractive "after-smell" that I find with some other orientals. It doesn't offer anything dramatically new that I haven't found before, and doesn't agree with everyone, but none the less is a solid, classy and overall attractive cologne. Thumbs up, 4/5.

rp123's avatar

Far Away by Avon

What a clean welcoming smell... I picked up a friend from the train station who was wearing this, and immediately felt relaxed and at home.
    Super duper.......

Not4you's avatar

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

A colleague at work gave me his bottle right before entering a stressful business meeting under the pretense that a scent can help carry confidence. The initial blast was wonderful orange citrus and sharp spice and I immediately felt an ego boost - although perhaps better suited for entering a nightclub vs a business meeting.

By the time I got to the boardroom the confident blast was replaced with a very generic tone that likely led my counterparts to believe I was rolling in the scent samples inserted in the magazines while waiting at reception. To me the mid-tones were not the specific spice & cinnamon expected but rather a vague synthetic tone that I notice while reading GQ or Maxim.

By the time I reached the dry down all I could smell was a strong feminine floral. I was amazed to think that the female power broker nearest me had a more overbearing fragrance than my recent dose of HB. That is until I realized that the anticipated sandalwood and musk were nowhere to be found and instead I was left smelling like I woman.

It did last a fairly long time on my skin - 4-5 hours before fading - but this too was a problem when my wife also noted that she smelled a woman's fragrance on me!

While business is good and I remain happily married, it is not from the help of Hugo Boss.

LouLou by Cacharel

I simply can not stand.
    The bottle is horrible. Plastic and strange combination of colors.
    In fact it is always reducted price (here in Europe). It looks cheap and it is cheap. But what is more important it smells cheap.
    I also have many friends who hate it. Once I have heard a man describing it as...( I really would not like to write here...)
    The scent is absolutely strong and irritating.
    Pity my aunt has it.. : ( But it was a gift...

Chance by Chanel

I was thinking that I was in love with this young scent, since someone told me that it was synthetic. Yes absolutely. It is not disturbing but it is synthetic.
    Nice bottle and lasting.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

More of my bottles were Dior. Two bottles of Dolce Vita have been finished, because it was my husband s favorite (Not mine).
    Too woody for a mostly floral lover. I was against it.
    But it has a magic. After a couple of hours it mutates on the skin and has completely another volume. Maybe this is why it is more attractive to men. I have had to convince my husband that I do not like it. I was not in love with it. And the first seconds it really disturbed me.

I would recommend it the same.

Bottle is perfect.
    And yes, "the name" for us Italians has another lovely meaning...

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

My second American perfume. It is strong, so you have to wait a bit. It changes a lot.
    It is quite cheap but very interesting.
    Not for a young girls. Feminin. Old fashioned.
    Long lasting. Oh, yes and what remains is beautiful.
    Nice bottle.

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

Absolutely not sporty, feminine and delicate and warm.
    This was my first American Perfume.
    Still can use it, but not for everyday. It reminds me a bit my mother (Dior woman), I grew up with mama s Diorissimo. So I would not call it modern or young woman s scent but you may fell in love with it. It absolutely has no time.
    Nice bottle.

Cabotine by Grès

Used to have it at High School. Different on each skin. I have bought a bottle just to remember those days. But I am not going to use it much. As a young woman now I prefer to use others which are more sophisticated. Cabotine still belongs to my teenager years. Not to me today.
    It is pretty, not beautiful. It is innocent but not provocative.

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I can not stay in the same room with someone who wears it. My nose is closing immediately. I was thinking that I was allergic, but no... This is really very strong and if you don t like it you hate it.

Sortilège by Long Lost Perfume

This also was my mother s favorite, Now I am 35 and looking for it too. Its original bottle was fantastic and feminin.
    The box was decorated with white embroidery stamps on green back ground.
    And the smell was unique!

Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas

Old fashioned, a bit heavy but absolutely not for very young women. I have finished two bottles with my mother and decided that I was too young for it. I WAS young : ) Now I can use it maybe : )
    I suits my skin perfectly. If you are trying for the first time give it a time..

Still love it. And recommend it.

Lovely bottle which screams : "I am a Perfuuume"