Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas

Old fashioned, a bit heavy but absolutely not for very young women. I have finished two bottles with my mother and decided that I was too young for it. I WAS young : ) Now I can use it maybe : )
    I suits my skin perfectly. If you are trying for the first time give it a time..

Still love it. And recommend it.

Lovely bottle which screams : "I am a Perfuuume"

Création by Ted Lapidus

My very first perfume. I was too young for it. It absolutely has a character. This is the reason why I love to smell. And how I have discovered that a perfume may change on each skin. And very long lasting... Pity I can t find it everywhere in Europe (except Paris)... :(

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

This is not a perfume. It is something else but absolutely not a scent to wear. I have had maybe 6-7 different Bulgari perfumes. This is the worst.
    It is not disturbing, it is just meaningles. Like a ghost. No color.
    The bottle is better then the perfume.

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I am sure that Serge Lutens won t sell in US as here in Europe (where Spice-Oriental etc sells more). I used to have a small sample of this and was trying it each time I wanted to smell a different thing.
    Serge Lutens collection is completely a new discovery to perfumes. It is strong enough to change your point of view. I am not a fanatic of musc, but I keep on trying this on me only for myself.
    It is strong and long lasting as others.
    The bottles are always masculine.

Kate by Kate Moss

I love Kate, but as a model.
    This smells really like a cheap perfume. Anyway I keep on trying it but not wearing it...

Chloé (new) by Chloé

Actually the bottle is amazing, the scent not.
    First you may find flowers attractive, but rose is too strong. I like floral but mostly white ones. And what remains on your skin after that, is not recalling you to smell it again and again. Very personal comment.

If you are not a rose type like me you may buy it for the bottle.

Eau d'Energie by Biotherm

It does nt smell like a perfume, but chemical ingredient. Infact it has the same scent with Clarins autobronzant. Horrible. Energie? Quelle energie??

peterman's avatar

I am King by Sean John

Over expensive, arrogantly named, cheap smelling perfume. It smells like a sickly, bitter-sweet grapefruit-y toilet cleaner!

LiveJazz's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I usually like the earthy green violet note in fragrances, so I was pretty excited to try Gucci by Gucci. Unfortunately, the violet is buried under a cloyingly sweet berry-flavored bubblegum note that doesn't go away for some time. This is gradually replaced by a (more) tolerable sweet tobacco note. But that synthetically sweet bubblegummy note keeps tagging along, refusing to leave you alone.

I can see why Gucci made this (they are and have been a very wood-and-spice dominated house lately), and I think the notes used had the potential to be great...but basically the perfumer failed and created a cloying green mess.

26 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2010)

shamu1's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Outstanding fragrance here. Consider this to be a drier, less heavy and less sweet version of A*Men. There are many similarities between the two, with the biggest being that both have the original Angel accord at their core.

It's sweet, woody and very spicy, just like A*Men is, but without the heavy chocolate note. Unlike A*Men, B*Men has a crispness to the topnotes, likely from citrus and lavender. It doesn't last as long or project as strongly as A*Men, but this is still a bold, daring, and strong fragrance. It's a sexy smell.

Although I prefer A*Men due to its better longevity, bigger sillage, and bigger patchouli presence, B*Men is a truly unique, high quality fragrance that does the Mugler house and Angel line very proud. Mugler should never have discontinued this.

MY RATING: 9/10

26 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

I'm totally embarrassed about my prior scathing review of Knize Ten, because I've done a complete 180 on this. The sample I had before must have been rancid, because literally overnight Knize Ten has become one of my favorite fragrances and my favorite leather. It is a scent that truly lives up to all of its hype, and then some.

Knize Ten smells like the interior of a brand new luxury car with leather upoholstery. It's not a dark, black leather like Kolnisch Juchten or Trussardi Uomo. This is a soft, tan-colored leather smell that is also spicy, no doubt acheived by the presence of cinnamon up top. The addition of iris to the leather gives Knize Ten a bit of a hazy, dusky smell too, adding to its allure and giving the scent a lot of depth. It has a wonderful oily glow to it that the best leathers have, without smelling like gasoline.

Knize Ten's biggest artistic virtue is how incredibly elegant, refined and perfectly balanced it is. It is so multifaceted, evolving by the hour ever so slightly, yet never losing its leather focus. It is a fragrance that smells better and better the longer it's worn, and you will wear it for a long time since the scent lasts for well over 12 hours.

The best fragrances are those where all of the ingredients fit and work together in perfect harmony. Balance is a quality that is hard to acheive in creating a perfume, but is particularly hard in a leather perfume; leathers often smell off-kilter or overpowered by smoky notes or a petrolieum smell. Knize Ten, howver, acheives perfect equilibrium with all of its various smells. It smells debonaire and dashing. This fragrance is so comfortable to wear and is so good, wearing it makes even the worst day feel not so bad. I can't say that about many perfumes.

MY RATING: 10/10

26 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2011)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

This is a very generic white floral perfume oil .I really don't get any gardenias , the vanilla is apparent, but no incense. It's a white floral with somthing artificial about it. I see no relation to true Monoi oil macerated with tiare which is very distinctive and strong.
    Being a perfume oil, I find the sillage to be little or close. I SO wanted to love this with the cult following and the gardenias in it. It smells artifical to me.

Update : 3 years later !
    The above is how I felt about Monyette Paris and this is how I feel about it now.
    Lily of the valley that leads to a gardenia like Kai - creamy which is augmented by a rich vanilla cream . There is a sense of coconut in this perfume oil but I am not sure coconut is in this scent. Maybe it is an olfactory illusion. Talking of illusions, I get a gardenia suntan oil aura with Monyette .
    My main problem with Monyette was that coconutty vibe which I have since learnt to love and I guess my complete lack of appreciation for Monyette in general .Bias !
    Everyone compares Kai to Monyette . Frankly apart from the gardenia, these two have nothing in common. I have been through bottles of Kai including the body wash ( which I adore ! )
    Differences :
    Kai is a fresh dewy GREEN gardenia with a touch of lily of the valley and a teeny bit of coconut to give iti a roundness - not apparent unless you really look for it.
    At times, Kai can be a little shampoo -esque.
    Kai in perfume oil is strong for an hour and then recedes so much you must re apply. I can go through a 3.6 ml roll on in a week or less .
    Kai is more or less linear.

Monyette Paris is creamy gardenia, sweeter than Kai , vanilla and a strong lily of the valley top note. Earthy with Nag Champa in the dry down.Suntan oil / coconutty vibe with gardenia.
    Monyette as Teardrop has said, gathers up in force as it progresses and does get stronger and more noticeable on your skin. It will last all day but changes from metallic lily of the valley to creamy earthy gardenia.

A final note - I have learnt to never say never to a scent. Monyette Paris is a prime example of this complete turnaround.
    I owe it to my friend Teardrop whom I respect greatly and my respect for her, led me to to go back to Monyette . I am so happy I did. *smile*

26 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 July, 2012)

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Much more impressive than the dubious claim of having been made for George IV in 1875 (after all, the rake died in 1830) or worn by Churchill or Bogart, is the fact that this version of Tabarôme, whenever it may have actually been put together, perfectly evokes the late Victorian era and its slowly atrophying upper class, private club, leather chairs, Savile Row frocks and all.
    This is certainly one of the more complex Creeds and the officially listed ingredients (bergamot, lime/clove, sandalwood, vetiver/leather, ambergris, tobacco leaves, tonka beans) cannot alone account for the overpowering effect that delights some and scares off others. To me, it seems, this pyramid completely omits the sweetness (save tonka) which I find characteristic of VT. In fact, I would go as far as to call it an occidental version of Fumerie Turque - less syrupy, not as harsh and smoky in the tobacco, but similar in blending tobacco, leather, florals, vanilla/tonka and perhaps beeswax or honey. I'm pretty sure there is tobacco blossom in VT, too, as well as jasmine, perhaps a little bit of rose and other florals. The clove&vetiver in the heart reminds me of Spiced Limes by Crown. There seems to be sweet-animalic castoreum here as well and orris provides a diffusive/powdery effect. The end result is a dense, sweet, yet also abrasively masculine powerhouse of a perfume which certainly will work best on an over-40 male in very formal attire. A superb scent and one of Creeds very finest.

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi

Lorenzo Villoresi pays homage to Eau de Cologne, a fragrance that changed perfume history, by offering his own all-natural rendition of this classic genre made famous and christened by Johann Maria Farina of Cologne in Germany.
    It is the best of its kind out there and thus by no means redundant if you enjoy this type of light hesperidic scent. The néroli is indeed wonderful and Villoresi adds his signature resinous aspect in the form of elemi, which also seems to enhance longevity. As one may expect of the creator of Spezie and Uomo, Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia is strongly herbal as well, with noticeable rosemary and clove notes and a musky base which must consist of ambrette seeds. It is sufficiently different from, say Acqua di Parma Colonia with its citrus-floral character, to justify owning both. Highly recommended and by no means discontinued. It is featured on the Villoresi website and available at perfumeries in Europe carrying the line.

Tabac by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

I can't add much to hirch's lucid desciption. It is indeed a wonderful, must-try fragance. I, too, appreciate the absence of honey-dripping sweetness, as in SMN's Acqua di Cuba, Boellis Panama and many other tobaccos and anyone who finds the musty density of vintage Tabarôme overly stifling will find here a clearer, more accentuated and tobacco-focused scent. That said, it is by no means simple - Dubrana has pointed out that this is in fact his most complex fragance in which he employs ingredients themselves constructed from many individual oils. Yet it is supremely elegant and easy to wear and even quite long lasting for a natural perfume.

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

For my nose, Cuir Mauresque is Daim Blond on steroids. Extremely fruity. This 'amped up' version loses the subtle charm of DB...making me turn a neutral thumb.

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Lavander at the top, absolutely gorgeous and true. Dries down to a simple, dry, incense. This one is plain and simple, which makes it wearable - but a little boring too...thumbs up, but just barely.

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

Where's the leather? I get lots of vanilla-ish, almond-y notes here, but cannot detect the leather. The offerings I've sampled thus far from "L'Art et la Matiere" by Guerlain are so very similar...I don't see the point in owning more than one. Angelique Noire is the vanilla/almond I've chosen, and can therefore easily due without Cuir Beluga and Bois d'Armenie. Smell them all folks, then choose the one closest to your liking. Really, one will suffice. Thumbs up - for quality.

Cologne à l'Italienne by Institut Tres Bien

Jemimagold and Asha have given extremely accurate detailed descriptions of this cheerful cologne. The only point I wish to add is regarding the iris note...it is presented with a light hand, which adds just a hint of powder to this blend, I find it quite clever. Bourdon has turned out an excellent composition!

odysseusm's avatar

Firewood / Feu de Bois by Ava Luxe

On me, this is an incense and birch tar scent – I don’t get cedar or wood smoke. I’ve tried it twice. The first time it seemed resinous, dry and green to me; and thus I liked it a lot. The second time, the birch was much more noticeable. It combined with what I assume is myrrh to create a somewhat sweet, perfumed and tangy note that is a bit challenging. I can see why some people call that ‘synthetic’ or ‘plastic’. I like incense scents a lot, so I can find things to appreciate here. But it is not bottle-worthy for me.

odysseusm's avatar

Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Cologne by Burt's Bees

On me, this was lemon and plummy bergamot and that's it. Didn't get any of the woody notes, which I particularly seek. Not enough here to interest me, at any price.

bokaba's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

ES opens with a blast of lemon tempered with an herbal bouquet of lavender, thyme, basil, and cumin, which lend themselves to a good level of projection and longevity. Sauvage’s opening is a little strong for my taste, but it is a very good fragrance overall. After the opening, the floral heart of indoles like jasmine, rose, and lilac make themselves known in a smooth but edgy floral accord that gives way to a woody, musky, mossy base. ES certainly has something animalic about it—perhaps the cumin, which was drawn from Edmond Roudnitska’s early Eau de Hermes?

27 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

beau_mode_arome's avatar

Hot Water by Davidoff

Mediocre is a kind work to describe Davidoff Hot. On my skin it develops more as a fruity oriental, oh dear. The red colour of the bottle conjures up juicy images for me too, rather than hot. I also found it far too sweet and although not initially evident, it has that same cola-sweet, slightly zingy-fuzzy burnt smell with cedar ie generic department store accord that I hate in modern men's perfumery.

wtb's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

One of Versace's best fragrances and a classic in the making. Women die for it upon nasal impact anywhere!! Fellas: get it while you can befoe it gets discontinued at some point.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

Aww, I WANT to love it, the whole package is so charming. It opens with lots of powder and aldehydes and jasmine, and pretty much continues in this vein, minus all the aldehydes, and growing all the more powdery. I get only jasmine, and I suppose tuberose, no other flowery notes. The first 15 minutes are too powerful, then there's a grace period of minutes where it's charming, then it's too powdery all the way. It is in the Je Reviens style, but Je Reviens is WAY more successful and refined. This one seems... hmm... well, 'cheap' in the sense that I'd prefer it diluted as a refreshing spray. But diluted a LOT.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Aimez-Moi by Caron

So far I've loved every Caron I've encountered except Aimez Moi. I don't dislike it...it just doesn't have the depth on me that is seems to have on others who have reviewed it here. I dont get any of the notes (like tobacco) that others seem to be getting. On me it remains a pretty linear and gourmand scent of tea and butterscotch candy. Delightful at first, but it doesn't hold my interest for very long. I'm glad I decided to get a 3 ml mini first, instead of springing for a full bottle.

bbBD's avatar

Hot Leather by Mark Buxton

Hot Leather is a perfectly good fragrance that is misnamed, and unfortunately those seeking a strong leather fragrance may be disappointed. I'd suggest pretending the name is something else and expect a spicy citrus/floral, especially for the first hour after application. The fragrance starts with a lightly spicy citrus/floral accord that approximates a leather note similar to the leather note in Armani's Cuir Amethyste. The leather accord deepens a little as it moves to a woody/floral heart, becoming smoother then Armani and getting closer to Creed's REL (but not nearly as smooth or rich). The scent fizzles out by the time it reaches the base, with a light, woody leather all that remains.

Overall this is pretty tame fragrance with only a hint of development. As a leather fragrance it's too mild and a floral it's too muted. Sillage is fairly discrete and longevity average. If you're looking for a true floral 'hot leather' I'd suggest the timeless Knize Ten or Etat Libre's Tom of Finland.

Aznavour's avatar

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

Watermelon shampoo body mist -- end of story.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Anbar by Comme des Garçons

It’s so long since I smelled 4711, I can’t tell whether this one really does bring back those blue and gold splendours or whether my brain is just taking another of its fantasy-shortcuts to the conclusion : ‘rank, over-emphatic cologne’. Odd too, that I’ve worn three mandarin scents in nearly as many days (Tarocco, Hespérides, and this one) and in what turns out to be a descending order of merit, for, though the CdG idea of making colognes with warmer components than usual triumphed in Vettiveru, the project clanks to an impasse here. This dinky orange is drowning in a recently disinfected bathroom bowl. The amber is pushed by the carnation and musk to a curdled opoponax and the citrus responds by turning hissy and cheap. Heartening, in a way, that something so misjudged could get past the corporate guard. Twee and repulsive, like a Komodo dragon in a pink cardie (you know those shocking pictures where people have dressed up their pets, well, like that). There’s an aftertang of cola too. How odd, and yet faintly appealing in the way a squint can be attractive. ‘Anbar’, so they say, is Arabic for amber; it’s also a province of Iraq, where stuff went on you don’t want to think about when dousing yourself of a morning.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Vol De Nuit is wonderful - a real fragrance, a real perfume that does not smell gourmand, flowery of candy or anything edible. Created in 1933- it has a vintage air, class and mystery . It has its own personailty .To me this is chypre -oriental . Intense, dark and daring in the parfum extrait, lighter, less broody in the EDT but still spicy and very good fragrance. This fragrance is not made in the EDP form.
    The extrait is a must try to appreciate this scent entirely. A classic always.

27 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2009)