Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Myspunge's avatar

England England

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Anbar by Comme des Garçons

It’s so long since I smelled 4711, I can’t tell whether this one really does bring back those blue and gold splendours or whether my brain is just taking another of its fantasy-shortcuts to the conclusion : ‘rank, over-emphatic cologne’. Odd too, that I’ve worn three mandarin scents in nearly as many days (Tarocco, Hespérides, and this one) and in what turns out to be a descending order of merit, for, though the CdG idea of making colognes with warmer components than usual triumphed in Vettiveru, the project clanks to an impasse here. This dinky orange is drowning in a recently disinfected bathroom bowl. The amber is pushed by the carnation and musk to a curdled opoponax and the citrus responds by turning hissy and cheap. Heartening, in a way, that something so misjudged could get past the corporate guard. Twee and repulsive, like a Komodo dragon in a pink cardie (you know those shocking pictures where people have dressed up their pets, well, like that). There’s an aftertang of cola too. How odd, and yet faintly appealing in the way a squint can be attractive. ‘Anbar’, so they say, is Arabic for amber; it’s also a province of Iraq, where stuff went on you don’t want to think about when dousing yourself of a morning.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Vol De Nuit is wonderful - a real fragrance, a real perfume that does not smell gourmand, flowery of candy or anything edible. Created in 1933- it has a vintage air, class and mystery . It has its own personailty .To me this is chypre -oriental . Intense, dark and daring in the parfum extrait, lighter, less broody in the EDT but still spicy and very good fragrance. This fragrance is not made in the EDP form.
    The extrait is a must try to appreciate this scent entirely. A classic always.

27 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2009)

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

Searing ,fresh ,vivid ,icy green opens this scent - it's like a high. Then the violets come in and stay with all the sweetness and no powder. It is a magical perfume and it lasts for hours. The unicorn has trampled through the high grass and laid down in the violet bed all on a crisp winter's morning. That's The Unicorn Spell.

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

This scent is reminiscent of Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue to me. It's got an airy,distinctive quality to it , slghtly powdery but actually quite a fresh scent ,a little soapy but it is beautiful. The notes blend beautifully and the vetiver comes through. Although it is an airy scent, it is long lasting.I think this will be a classic with Prada's understated elegance woven right into this fragrance.

Amber Vanilla by Regina Harris

Deliciously warm vanilla opens this perfume with touches of smooth dark amber. This perfume is 'hot ,warm skin' . Then the vnailla recedes and the amber becomes a major player. Delightfully sensual and long lasting though as a perfume oil, sillage will not be grat but whomever gets near to you and hugs you ,will think you naturally smell this divine.
    Vanilla lovers will feel somewhat frustrated with this because the amber is more dominant overall.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

I bought it because of the strong leather accord present in the top notes; add to this the floral notes and you've got a composition that is analogous to Dior Homme. It does share the same style in that it is sweet, to the point it could be worn by any woman. Differences lie in the fact that from the top notes on the blend settles into a very shy and subtle scent that can be smelt only by the wearer.

It is a formal and a safe scent, I would say ideal for those working in offices of companies with some sort of scent policy, or those having to deal with people that could be offended by strong perfumes - something that, thank God, does not happen where I live.

27 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2009)

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

Time ago, someone posted a thread asking if there was such thing as an eau de cologne with the strength of an eau de toilete. Answers, among them the one of a notorious BN specialized in the topic, resorted to a wide, screaming "no". I were among many others making the point that these eaux were to be dealt with the way they are; making them stronger would only spoil their character.

When writing this I had in mind an eau de cologne made by a very traditional local perfume company, Lariviere, which in pre globalization times was in charge of importing and manufacturing scents for famous French perfume houses. Even though the proposal seemed interesting as per the top notes, the scent's development felt odd, to say the least. In this particular occasion, "syntehtic" came to mind - rather than a concept, a joker, for in an industry were blenders and designers have to resort to aromachemicals, the word "synthtetic" does not have any sense. Unnatural would be the right choice.

Bergamotto Marino feels that way: a traditional eau de cologne in terms of its notes, with a strength that claims it to be what is not, an eau de toilette. Hesperidic notes common to all of the scents catalogued under this category are present in a very hard, pungent, public, sillage-friendly, non offending a-la- Jean-Marie-Farina-Extra Vielle way.

Bergamottos complexity is interesting, these hesperidic notes (the bergamot and theorange bloosom?) makes way flowrey mid notes (jasmin, lily of the valley?), finally dying in the rest of the notes. There are marine notes lingering around in a very settling way, avoiding rejections, making its present the right sort of way along the top, middle and base notes.

A nice summer scent, maybe not for purists, or maybe, for eau de cologne lovers interested in experimentg alternatives along the line.

vanda54's avatar

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

I sprayed it on my wrists at the EL counter and went about my day. I was asked 4 times"what smells so good?" , not what perfume are you wearing. My boyfriend commented when I got home. He said you smell so musky and sexy. I couldn't smell it at all. Of course after all those compliments I went back to Macy's and bought some. Whenever I wear it, people sniff the air and say "what is that fragrance?" My boyfriend loves it. He says it smells like warm clean skin. I still can't smell it on me except right after I spray it. I get a trace of honeyed sandalwood and then it disappears. But as long as the compliments keep coming, I will wear it. It is a real departure from the strong EL fragrances of the past.

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

English Breakfast by Mark Buxton

This is an extremely interestant offfice scent!

The tumble of top and middle notes provide a fresh, non-citrusy, slightly floral, slightly chemical laundrette smell. Not one of the listed ingredients is distinguishable to my nose.

This will last during the morning. In the afternoon, just before the fragrance might become boring, it steps back and gives way to wafts of a dry, transparent cedarwood and vetiver note, reminiscent of Kenzoair (but without the Ouzo smell) or the new Cedro Atlas: III Robinson by Nobile 1942. I really like it. These wafts do not stick to your skin all the time. It is rather that you sense them every once in an while, just like an energy shot, very welcome in the late afternoon.

Giustino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

I smelled Trussardi Inside for Men just yesterday, and today my blindbuy came in from America, wich is Inside. Considering I enjoyed it's first smell, here's what I though. Trussardi Inside is a very gentle, not to overpowering, might even be lacking a real "muscle" but it's a very sweet, sensual and gentle smell. There's nothing to strong and very pleasant. It has a kickstart of lemon wich only last for a very short time, en transforms into a more sensual and romantic perfume wich it's Tobacco and Coffee. I'm not to fond of Tobacco but this one is very pleasant and to smoky at all. Inside finishes off with a teak wood base. A very pleasant, gentle, not to sweet, not to strong and sensual perfume, wich I prefer when having dinner in the evenings.

Overal rating: 7.5/10

somnambulist07's avatar

Wales Wales

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

This reminds me of Lacoste Pour Homme. Sweet, almost sickly, and synthetic smelling. It is not unbearable, it's just not pleasant either.

somnambulist07's avatar

Wales Wales

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Hmm, is that rhubarb I can smell? I like it better than the amazing A*men. I think I can still smell coffee in the opening that was present in A*men, but this has more of a fruity side to it rather than the dessert food notes that was in A*men. It's also has the same kind of longevity and sillage as A*men. It's a keeper.

27 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2009)

rp123's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Super sickly sweet.......Like condensed milk. The odour is brash just like the bottle. The scent never really changes, and just continues with a sweet sweet theme. There are no layers to this creation. Just ridiculous sweetness. I don't doubt that some will love this fragrance, but its just too in your face for me. Where's the depth.....?

Not4you's avatar

Elixir by Penhaligon's

I really wanted to like this one - I am a fan of other Penhaligon's offerings - but this one is just not for me.

The initial blast from the bottle was first the smell of stale beer followed by a peppery spice that made my nose tingle. This quickly faded into an hour or so of cedar shavings - my wife kept commenting that I reminded her of a past pet hampster that her Dad stepped on when it escaped from the cage. To me the finish was simply Christmas season potpourri - warm, spice and evergreen trees - not what I needed on a romantic night out with my wife in August.

It did come into its own briefly when I relaxed with a fine single malt scotch - the warm spice tones complimented the nose of the whiskey - but this was too little too late for me.

Cid's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Starts off wonderful, then drys down into what smells like a mix of algae infested sea water, dried piss and cigarette smoke. Many say that Green Irish Tweed by the House of Creed is the same thing. They are not. I'd say they start exactly the same, but GIT doesn't dry down into this obnoxious smell that gives me headaches. With Cool Water, the dry down happens incredibly fast, and within ten minutes, the great smell that it started off with is gone and I'm left with that cigarette/piss mixture. Most people like this smell, but it wasn't anything like I thought it'd be after all the rave reviews. I think it's too potent to be "cool" water. If your parents smoked when you were younger, you'll absolutely hate cool water.

KEVIN G's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

This is a very good cologne it stays on me the wholeday and the smell is GREAT! THUMBS UP =)

Lancetti Madame by Lancetti

Lancetti Madame is a quite simple rose, iris, and patchouli fragrance. It strikes me as being too direct and straightforward. Both the rose and patchouli are dulled down to the point where I find them not only flat, but a bit off – the rose note especially seems off. It’s quite linear, and I believe that it has good longevity – I’m not sure because I was so bored with it that I kept forgetting to pay attention to its progression. The ending sharpens the rose note a little.

I don’t care for this one at all.

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

At first I experienced this as a fresh, enjoyable, well-balanced, classy fragrance. I was suspicious of my reaction because I recognized the strong oakmoss character of the fragrance and I usually don’t respond well to a dominant oakmoss. My suspicions came true with the third wearing: The oakmoss had grown so prominent in the drydown that it became annoying to me – and it has stayed that way. For me Duc de Vervins depends too much on oakmoss and it is not one I can enjoy personally; however, I do recognize it as a quality fragrance. For those who enjoy an excellent oakmoss fragrance, this is fresh, well-balanced, excellently put together, and it performs with sophistication.

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

It could be that I have a bad sample, but this is not a very good scent that I am smelling. It smells highly synthetic for one thing: The citrus notes have thin, metallic nature that may or may not be intentional. The opening is already broadcasting the tonka from the base, and this vanillayzing of the fragrance dominates the beginning, continues into the middle floral accord, and stays through the drydown: This is not an enjoyable vanilla-sweet note to me and I don’t appreciate the linearity. The middle florals seem unbalanced by too much metallic sweetness – it’s not an accord that I appreciate. Sculpture is too synthetic and sweet and yet it comes across as being thin and insubstantial. It has good lasting power.

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

No, not even a contender. Bogart, who makes several excellent, lower-priced fragrances, didn’t continue the winning streak with this one. The top and mid notes of Bogart pour Homme are generic and boring. Its base depends too much on an inferior vanilla note that is present from opening to closing – the same inferior vanilla note that is present in all too many of the cheaper ’90s fragrances. Since this is a 2004 product, it was already out of date before it was placed on the market. It’s a linear fragrance; it has a strong sillage; and it has good longevity. It is too bad that it boasts such poor aromas…

Night Scented Jasmine by Floris

The opening presents a straightforward jasmine note with a strong green element in the mix. As the green element softens, the jasmine note, though not light and delicate, comes across as curiously devoid of its indolic potential. Jasmine is my favorite floral note, and I love those strong, indolic versions, but here I’m hard pressed to understand the reason floral note has been neutered without having been made sheer and subtle. It’s as if the jasmine has been robbed of both her sensuality and her soul. However, the question concerning the eunuch jasmine’s soullessness doesn’t last long because the jasmine note disappears quickly. What remains is an unexciting white musk to finish the endnotes.

The sillage produced by Night Scented Jasmine does present the more sheer version of the flower. This wispiness is attractive but I’m not sure that it is enough to save the fragrance from such a serious case of lack of inspiration. There are better jasmine fragrances available.

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

Citrus, a bit of apple, a bit of carnation for spice, jasmine and lily of the valley background… nice opening but I smelled it before: Light Blue. I agree with takemyhusbandplz on this. The two fragrances are quite the identical especially in the top notes. Shanghai Butterfly moves toward lily of the valley and misses the green bamboo note that is in the heart of Light Blue, so there’s a variation there. The drydown has the biggest change: Shanghai Butterfly doesn’t last anywhere near as long. I voted Light Blue a thumb’s up but certainly not this one.

Bright Visit by Azzaro

Pepper and star fruit – love that light, fruity, watery star fruit note – but to my nose the pepper dominates the opening accord. It’s a uniquely fresh accord and its enjoyable having a summery fragrance without the ubiquitous citrus notes... I love citrus accords, but at times I think they are overdone. I’ve often wondered why the fresh, light-fruity smell of the star fruit wasn’t used in fragrances. For the middle notes they are playing games with the names: “acetyver”… okay… what does that mean? …Acetone vetiver? I smell very little vetiver but I’m happy I don’t get any acetone. In spite of the name game, the middle is very pleasant with the aquatic and green notes. It’s refreshing in a bit different way from the opening refreshment. The base is rather ordinary, but still attractive. The cedar (they are using cedar in so many fragrances, now) dominates and the base is at first rather sweet and then turns into a cedar / woody accord that develops almost an incense or smoke persona. I hadn’t heard much about this on the boards, but I think it should get more discussion… I am personally pleased that they seriously lowered the nutmeg volume in this one. Bright Visit a pretty darn good fresh summer scent.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

It opens with a somewhat fresh citrus and anise (mercifully light on the synthetic anise) accord. The opening presents something interesting at first… it’s a little different and quite pleasant… until it begins to get a rather strong synthetic feel to it. Then I think that it becomes another one of the dozens of tedious synthetic openings. As usual, the lavender in the citrus / sweet spicy accord interferes with my appreciation of it – It’s ok, but I just don’t care very much for the combination and would like it better sans lavender. The mid accord is mainly a sweet floral extension of the opening... Again, I feel neutral about it. The ambry base improves the movement of the fragrance somewhat, but doesn’t offer much longevity on my skin. The base is the element of the fragrance that I prefer the most… it has a little more substance to it via the wood, even though it is similar to the accords that preceded it.

Diesel Fuel for Life comes across to me as pretty much a repeat of several other sweet, fruity fragrances out there. It is not unique, but it has some good points to it and should be tested out by a person who likes fruity-sweet fragrances.

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

Hugo XY is one of the better Hugo Boss releases. It is light, mostly nonsynthetic, and pleasant. The fruit notes in the top are light and clean, and the herb notes in the middle level follow suit with a soft, fresh conciseness. The base has a clear cedar and patchouli that is comfortable and lasts well. I don’t smell any musk. XY is not a sensual or dramatic fragrance, but it is an enjoyable casual fragrance that is (to me) surprisingly well done: a very nice option for a young person.

Rouge Intense by Mandarina Duck

Mandarina Duck’s Rouge Intense opens woodsy with lots of pepper – seems more masculine or unisex because none of the florals come through for me, and when the florals do enter a bit later in the heart notes, they stay far in the background to the woods and the plethoric pepper. There seems to be no change through the entire run of the fragrance. It’s obviously linear and long lasting and comprehensively, everlastingly peppery! Errrr… if you love pepper, this one’s for you.

Roadster by Cartier

I think the mint in combination with bergamot in the opening works much better than the more usual lavender to provide an interesting and enjoyable introduction to Roadster. And I enjoy this particular mint note: It is not the usual “minty fresh” concept… this mint is darker and going on bitter and sets a mature stabilizing tone to the fragrance. The light shadowing of labdanum and patchouli from the base also contributes to that mood. The middle accord continues the deeper, darker mint motif and adds an ozone note that is at first seems out of place but soon morphs into an interesting accord. The dry down is a rich wood / labdanum accord with a touch of vanilla. The wood is an almost aromatic cashmere wood enhanced and supported by patchouli, labdanum, and cistus... it moves the fragrance into the "elegant" territory..

I enjoy most of Cartier’s fragrances and this one is no exception. Except for Declaration, this is possibly the edgiest of their offerings. My initial opinion of Roadster had me thinking that it was too thin and sparse for my tastes. With each new test, I’ve learned more about it, and I’ve further improved my opinion of it. It wears subtly and competently on my skin and presents a light overall smokiness that I find inviting. This is a possible purchase for me – I will keep testing it and it just may end up as the fourth Cartier in my collection.

lex's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

i remember this being a crisp, clean, young and a very innocent adolescent scent. with all the notes, none really dominates to me. the notes are blended nice.

lex's avatar

Escada Moon Sparkle by Escada

a sweet berry on a light amber musk base.thinkin about how its goin to develop, it just remains the same ole sweet berry amber musk. not very intresting. no developement

buzzley's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

EDC:

Ghoulishly sweet and morbid. Smells like something an aging queen would spray in his nether regions before an evening at the adult bookstore.

Totally, irredeemably repulsive.