Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Apraxina's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali

I find that this scent (black lips and pen too) is very clean and elegant. Cleanness of soap, white flowers, aldehydes... Real classic, but actual if you are in in the vein for it. It may be rainy autumn day or a first date, round-up of old friends or interview - if you want to feel freshness, confidence and self-dependence. I use it not often, but always have in collection to wear when want some clear and white...

Apraxina's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Embruns d'Ambre by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

I think it is one of most perfect amber scents. I tried it in the set of amber decants - and up to the point i knew nothing about Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan. It was love at first sight! Soft, stylish, not provoking, but clever and unordinary scent. Wearing this i think about old books and libraries, quiet evenings and feel Embruns d'Ambre like my own smell, second skin.

K_Kulis1986's avatar

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

I recently purchased this scent after I immediately fell in love with it at the sales counter. The slight floral fragrance is enchanting and I love the understated sweetness from the figs. I have read many of the reviews and have a few things to say:

1. A fragrance should not be overpowering. People should only be able to smell you when they are near you. If you want a cologne that you can smell down the hall at your office try Burberry London.
    2. If you want a long-lasting cologne try something spicier and woodier...they tend to get stronger as the day goes on. A green and citrusy scent such as this will die down quickly.

I love Hermes perfumes and I have had nothing but compliments from this scent. Perhaps it is more of a seasonal scent meant for spring and summer. Im sure I'll switch to something else in the cold months. Perhaps Hermes Eau d'Orange-verte.

KIG's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

First time I tried it was on a chili December evening in a department store. I had heard about it from a friend, so I asked if they had a tester.I walked around the mall for a while. More and more I found myself sniffing my wrist with a big smile on my face. It was unlike any oriental I have smelled before. It was big, powerful, warm and sensual. That time I did not care about the notes. Just knew I liked it very much.
    It is s a very special scent. Spicy, woody oriental, pretty much in the category “love me or leave me”. It is strong without being cloying, a composition of restraint and opulence all in one. The vanilla here is not “the last resort” of the drydown. In fact it holds the structure together with a warm sensuality.
    I have the EDP and EDT. Both have their place in my wardrobe. One for the luscious complexity, the other for being toned down without losing its character.
    Longevity is superb – 16+ hours EDP and 10+for EDT.

Have to agree with foetidus – it is one of most the beautiful masculine olfactory creations in the designer world.

28 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 February, 2014)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Homage Attar by Amouage

An attar of rose, orange and silver frankincense. There are bound to be other ingredients but these are the stars of this show and they each have about equal weight in the overall results. A single dot of a drop of Homage will fill your personal space with this uplifting radiance. A couple drops and it will last most of the day. The frankincense is the most unusual part of the fragrance as it is a very shimmering pure frankincense with little heaviness. I receive a healing balm type of effect from this fragrance when I wear it. Unlike many other attars and oils this is very bright and radiant avoiding darkness altogether. It is simply a wonderful blend of three very vibrant essences: rose - orange - frankincense.

I like!

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Lyric Man by Amouage

Lyric for Men is a gentle rose and frankincense scent that is a very refined and impeccably balanced fragrance. It is so tightly blended that I needed several wearings before I began to identify the possible notes here - and they are very hard to identify because it so seamless in its composition.

The opening smells like a light dusting of saffron over a very pure rose scent which might contain a bit of geranium to give it depth. But mostly this opening is very pure light rose. To connect the rose to the frankincense are some familiar incense mid tone notes that smoothe the contrasts or remove the sharp edges - possibly nutmeg and/or cardamom that leads to the almost mystical scent of the Omani silver frankincense. After the rose it is the frankincense that is the real star of this fragrance. The rose and silver frankincense blend wonderfully well before a light wood base emerges that smells of cedar + patchouli to me. If there is oud in this blend as I have read others claim, it is very lightly done and is a more ethereal oud like a light Indonesian agarwood that might add the woody dry lift that I smell trailing behind the silver frankincense note.

This is not a deep or dark rose scent and there are no big dramas or contrasts. It is a medium range tone poem of similar notes. Wearing Lyric is a very rewarding and wonderfully uplifiting rose, frankincense and wood perfume experience. Good stuff!

CoL's avatar

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

Notes:(directly from KGA)
    Top: Yuzu, Bergamot, Anise
    Middle : Incense, Patchouli, Spicy Accord
    Base: Orris (iris), Violet, Tonka Bean

I like this, its the first PS mens fragrance I've liked since the original green one. Basically, its a fresher, slightly lighter Dior Homme. The Iris is prominent throughout and has that "candyness" to it, this is probably the influence of the Yuzu. I cannot detect the patchoulli at all, maybe very slightly but the Iris is so dominent! Certainly worth trying and boy does it LAST!

lsp_NY's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Other than the citrus blast, it bears a stark resemblance to JCE's own Cartier Declaration. Pass.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Relax by Davidoff

Yep, Brut by Faberge. It opens with a Joop! sweetness, then quickly transitions into Gaultier's Fleur du Male. Shortly after, it turns into Brut, very strong Brut. Babershop at its best and worst, I can't help but get images of a hairy man getting a shave from a barber, the red white and blue striped spiral pole spinning right outside the window, and the hearty chatter of politics and sports fill the air.
    If that's your sort of thing, Relax is for you...otherwise, stay clear!
    Thumbs up because it does smell good, you just hav eto be at least 50 to appreciate it. :)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Tristano by Tristano Onofri

As everyone have mentioned...under the radar frag, smells AWESOME! I have been privy to the impossible to find Kouros Eau de Sport (not to be confused with Kouros Sport) and this reminds me very much of Eau de Sport. The difference is Tristano takes you on a journey first, through everything nice about fragrance...mystery, joy, pleasure, day-dream, love and infatuation. Then it gently brings you to the house of Kouros. I have seen bottles of this on eBay for waay to much money...look thru eBay europe (especially ebay.de) you will be surprised that you might find this for cheap.

Naturally as a Kouros lover Tristano gets a perfect 10 from me. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, if you can find it.

scentsitivity's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

This is an odd one on me. I get two conflicting themes: a bright neroli and dense woody notes. Something smells burnt to me. Is it part of the wood notes? No one else mentions this. Regardless, that burnt smell is something I endure for the whole of the development (and yes, I get the patchouli and vanilla) and it spoils it for me. I think I am a bit of an oddball on this one, so I give it a neutral rating; perhaps it will smell wonderful on you!

scentsitivity's avatar

Vetiver de Java by Il Profumo

If you are looking for a vetiver powerhouse out of the gate, then Vetiver de Java is not for you. The opening is elegant and herbal; doesn’t really project much, quite close to the skin. With time, the vetiver emerges. Again, it stays close to the skin. A slight rose note emerges on top of the vetiver and this is my favorite part. Then it all fades away. My primary problem with Vetiver de Java is how close it stays to the skin. It smells nice. I just wish it gave a bolder projection.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Donna Karan Essence: Jasmine by Donna Karan

A pure and transparent jasmine; warm, but having a faint cool, soapy note in the drydown. The sillage is quite attractive, as it has ample spread without ever feeling heavy. It's a nice "middling" jasmine, neither too strong nor too weak.

Easy; likable; simple as can be.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Take this review with a grain of salt, as others have experienced something quite different in Tuscan Leather, but I am almost overwhelmed by the fruity, tangy raspberry note! The leather is there to be sure, and as others have said, it's a very true, pure "jacket" leather note, but the raspberry is first among equals, from top to base ( I find it totally linear ).

If I wanted to smell like a handbag filled with summer pudding, Tuscan Leather would be my holy grail - it really is quite phenomenal in the vibrancy and accuracy of both sides of its raspberry/leather duality. Unfortunately, this isn't exactly what I was seeking in a leather fragrance...

michailG's avatar

A Scent by Issey Miyake

Issey Miyake’s fragrances are not my favourite. Even the bottles are not my favourite but I do see that as with the fragrances so with the bottles, Miyake has contributed greatly to our tastes for both fragrances and bottles.
    I was attracted to this one … just because of the bottle (not the box)… sorry! But I did try the liquid inside as well! Well the bottle I find smashing! Bravo to Levy. It is a bit medicinal and aseptic, totally minimalistic… truly a design object. Now the liquid inside is veeery feel-good, and floral and happy, somehow even a bit olfactory. I honestly don’t see the connection between the minimalism of the package and the playfulness of the content. An aqcuatic or ozonic perfume would definitely suit better this objé de design of bottles. Having said this I still find the fragrance pleasant… and I know for sure that some female architects and designers out there will probably go nuts as well with the bottle and its supposed purism. I say supposed because the logo on the bottle is too big (on purpose I know but I don't care). Floral and happy, light and lasting in a bottle that would be great to be refillable (pity all this glass to go for recycling).

bokaba's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Being a fan of the much esteemed Housed of Guerlain I thought I would like Habit Rouge; however, I found it far too heavy, cloying, sweet, and powdery to be wearable. Rouge opens with a blast of orange and bergamot with the dirty leather, musk, and musty flowers already beginning to become evident. It progresses to rose and geranium balanced with a sickly sweet vanilla with patchouli and possibly a touch of the classic Guerlain civet...

29 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

bokaba's avatar

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

Is it an oldie? Is a new designer scent from 2003? Who knows? Le Dandy seems difficult to place as the benchmark fragrance for dandies at the turn of the century. Dandy is certainly a gourmand fragrance with an opening of bergamot and Oriental spices like mace, nutmeg, cardammom, a touch of ginger, and a dash of cinnamon to warm its composure followed by bourbon, vanilla, tonka, musk, and a sprinkling of powdery florals such as carnation and geranium. Le Dandy is certainly a nice winter scent, but it is spicy, heavy, and sweet. It has all the body of a 2000s something designer fragrance with all the dressings of an Edwardian classic. Le Dandy is a good experience for experienced noses, but heed my advice, experienced as it is a delight, but probably not that wearable.

29 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

Bigsly's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

This one feels like an attempt to everything "pleasant" into a fragrance. It comes across to me as cheap, generic, and boring. It may be that I tried other fragrances with similar qualities before this one, and I prefer them over this by a wide margin. For example, if I want a simple spice with a little woodiness, I reach for the original Tommy. If I want something more complex, I've got Etra by Etro. Then there's Adidas Victory League for an interesting "hybrid" formulation. If I want something powdery (with an amber/sandalwood base), I've got FUBU Plush for men. And so on. So, I guess if you just want one fragrance of this type, and most wear different kinds of fragrances, this might be okay once a week. However, this is the type of fragrance I wear several times a week, and Brit does not "make the cut" at all. Therefore I'll give it a neutral but I have no interest in it at all.

Tony T's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

wonderful fruity long lasting and probably unisex. very ambery as in gaultier 2 but not as sweet. very pleasant smelling also. i just started using mine after it being on the shelf for almost 2 years and received numerous compliments. great for everyday wear for the under 40 crowd.

bbBD's avatar

Dior Dior by Christian Dior

'Dior Dior' is something of a forgotten 70s Dior release. In terms of naming fragrances, it looks like Dior finally ran out of snappy ways to use the word 'Dior' as a root and just said "eh...it's Dior...uh, Dior! yup, go with that Dior Dior." I'm something of a vintage Dior collector, or at least I wish I was, so I've always kept my eye open for a bottle and finally acquired one.

With no other source to compare it to I can't speak to whether the bottle I received has been damaged by time, and if so how much. The fragrance is definitely related to Roudnitska's "Diorella/Diorama/Parfum de Therese" line of fragrances. I'd be surprised if Roudnistka didn't play some part in creating Dior Dior, even if just indirectly. The "overrripe melon" topnotes are there over what I suspect to be a chypre structure. It distinguishes itself from the bunch with a heavier floral component and more prominent lily of the valley in the heartnotes. If I had to describe Dior Dior in a sentence I'd say it's 'mellower and more subtle version of Diorella'. Again, it may be that the strength of my bottle has faded with time and thus I'm only reviewing a shadow of this fragrance's former self - but what I smell I most definitely enjoy and will enjoy as a unique member of my budding vintage Dior collection.

bbBD's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

If you're new to fragrance, if you don't like thick floral leather chypres, and if you prefer sweet gourmands and fruity florals to dry, green scents please do yourself a favor and avoid Aromitics Elixir with all your might as you will hate it. However if you're looking for a woody, green floral that is simultaneously rich yet intricately layered then march down to your local mall and plunk down $35 for a 50ml bottle at the Clinique counter. This may just be the most interesting, most vintage-evoking perfume you can buy at the mall today. A thick layer of oakmoss covers a heart of jasmine and rose that does not relent through the base. Non-specific 'green notes' meander about and musk softens as the perfume progresses. Sillage and longevity are extreme. Just today, a full hours after application I received a rare 'nice cologne!' from another guy, and he was standing well on the other side of the store we were in. Worried about this being too feminine? Forget it - this has more testosterone then anything at the boys' counter but still wears as a sophisticated and classy feminine.

One last thing - don't expect to love AE on first sniff. Expect it to take many samplings, but as with all great works of art this perfume is worth the investment of time needed to grasp it. Thumbs UP UP UP.

29 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 June, 2010)

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Cristalle Eau Verte by Chanel

Even the keenest admirer of Maurice Roucel and his magnolia accord, by which I mean me, can sometimes feel Hounded by Caramel, when encountering yet again this trick of floral sweetness. But when that moment of doubt about the Decline of the West into syrup has passed, this turns out ineffably frail and lovely, magnolia as the perfect nurse, slim and cool and soothing. There’s a surprising earth to it too, like finding a potato in the sugar jar. The drydown is as dull as a plastic table-cloth. I delayed comparison with the 1993 edp until the next morning, and this was a good policy, because the edp is so much richer in aspects, it casts 2009 into a pale, mildly simpering shade.

Buddy97's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

It's a while since I've used Havana (and await its hopefully non reformulated re-release), but this is my recollection of how it smelled. Super, complex ultra masculine - fresh, spicy, woody, frutity and boozy, I love it! Excellent longevity and sillage-after two sprays, I get comments. In terms of Value for Money, this is as good as it gets IMHO.

Steam Aoud by Montale

The best perfumes are undescribable, and so is this one. All I want to say is that steem aoud for me is the no.1 from montale's oud line and one of my top 5 favorite scents. For the best attempt to describe this scent, just read the review of scensitivity below!

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

I tested this today at a shop and instantly bought a bottle of it because I was pleased with the fruity, appetizing red ripe grapefruit note that seemed to make it a great summer scent. I did not detect any rose in it, and I think the naming "Pampelmousse rose" just refers to the fact that the top note is definately red, not yellow grapefruit. I do not know if there is a rhubarb note in it. I know the sour taste of cooked rhubarb, but I do not know how "rhubarb" is supposed to smell.

After a while, the red grapefruit note gets more zesty, so you have a slightly bitter grapefruit peel note.

Coming home, another change took place. The grapefruit vanished into the background and revealed a crispy, transparent, yet substantial cedar wood and vetiver base note. Not exactly a light version of Terre d'Hermes, rather reminiscent of Kenzoair (intense version). No other reviewer has mentioned that so far, but isn't there a little bit of powdery iris in it as well?

Although I could not wait buying it until the base note had developed, I am not dissapointed at all. I think I have an addiction to cedar - vetiver combos and this is not the first scent of this kind that I own. I will wear this a lot.

If you decide to test it, please be aware that this is one of the scents that will turn its character vice versa within three hours, so you might better wait a while before buying it. You will get two different fragrances for the price of one!

Boss in Motion White Edition by Hugo Boss

I tested this today. What can I say?

Generally, I do not like synthetical designer scents, and this is another one, just as one should expect from this brand. The main ingredient that stands out seems to be a chemical musk. But is is quite bodily an attractive, it might even provide the wearer with a certain feeling of physical or sexual presence. Far from being something different, it seems to be just a magical hint better than many other similar scents.

Maybe after years of practise, at Boss, they might have developed some Know How in making attractive perfumes out of inexpensive ingredients.

Cedro Atlas: I Superhero by Nobile 1942

Nobile 1942, who usually make old peoples' perfumes, have become worried about their future customers an now offer an attractive gift box with 3 different cedar scents aimed specially at younger men.

Along with the 3 little perfume bottles, each one for another time of the day or occasion, it contains a very instructive leaflet about the art of making perfume.

Superhero is the one I like the least. It is a rather tacky combination with vanilla. I like vanilla ice cream, but not vanilla perfume.

Thumbs up for the overall concept, but not for this one.

Cedro Atlas: III Robinson by Nobile 1942

Number three is a transparent ceder and vetiver scent, according to the accompanying leaflet ideal for the more romantic occasions in life. Since I really like ceder and vetiver combos like Kenzoair (intense), Terre d'Hermes or Mark Buxton's English Breakfast, this is no exception.

However, again longevity is quite poor, but maybe just right for perfume beginners.

I highly recommend this box as a gift for a young man: 3 high quality perfumes (no synthetics) for a still moderate price coming in an attactive box with a very informative leaflet about perfume basics.

Cedro Atlas: II Cola by Nobile 1942

Cola, the number 2 of this gift set, comes with a tiny black cord around the neck of the bottle, which indicates for me that this is the gateway drug!

I have no idea how this was done, but the scent really is similar to the taste of coke - with a slice of lemon in it. It is energizing, fun to wear and probably very attractive to wear for boys of different ages.

Longevity could be better IMO.

leogeee's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

This has all the elements I prefer-anise/licorice, powder and woodsy (My daily and favorite is Arpege pour homme by Lanvin). Loilita Lempicka Au Masculin is stronger than I expected. A little goes a long way. Too much is not appropriate for the workplace. Dry down is nice. (reminds me of Jean Paul Gaulthier) It is very long lasting. Arpege has that hint of Tangerine and is somewhat lighter but Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is a nice alternative and in the same family.