Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

its nice smelling but still a very common scent that lots of people smell like with little originality

True Religion for Men by True Religion

its a very fresh and invigorating cocktaill that will knock ur socks off

very hip and becoming extremely popular its a must have

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

great fresh scent its very sexy and a great guy guy smell thats not unisex like many of the modern frags i highly reccomend this one its a nice citrus woodsy musk blast with some delicate florals and a good warmth to it

29 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2010)

Sex Panther by Tru Fragrance

u all need to GIVE THIS A CHANCE its the best celebrity scent its really very fresh and sexy smelling and nothing smells like it

shamu1's avatar

Mazzolari Lui by Mazzolari

Mazzolari Lui is a very good scent, but it falls into the same conundrum I find with almost all niche fragrances: it wows you initially with its potency and perceived uniqueness, but in the long run, it ends up being kind of dull and tiresome, and not something I find myself wanting to wear that often.

There is no question that this is a powerhouse in the extreme. Few fragrances project as far or last as long as this. It is also extremely dark and masculine. There's a truckload of patchouli and animalic notes (castoreum?) that make this one of the dirtiest, most raunchy smelling fragrances ever. For these reasons, I thought I found my holy grail scent when I first bought this.

Despite all this macho power, in the end Mazzolari Lui is a linear and simplistic scent that gets tiresome to wear after several wearings. There's a powderiness to it that becomes more prominent the longer its worn, and it dampens the ferocity of the patchouli and animalic notes. Plus, though I don't mind linear scents, this is one that could have used a few more ingredients added to it to make it a bit more interesting for the long haul. Mazzolari Lui smells like an unfinished fragrance.

All in all, this is a good scent and is probably the most daring scentI own. For this reason, I'll always keep it in my collection, but I don't think it's going to see a lot of game time.

MY RATING: 8/10

29 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2011)

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Lola by Marc Jacobs

First things first - the bottle is absolutely gorgeous, I defy anyone not to fall in love with the OTT plastic floral cap. Marc Jacobs has proved he is very adept at choosing/designing kitsch bottles that make you go all gooey eyed and scream 'I want!'

As for the fragrance itself, Lola is described as 'Seductive and Alluring' which is a break from the fresh and youthful theme of Daisy. Lola has notes of Pink Peppercorn, Pear, Rose, Fuschia Peony, Vanilla, Tonka Bean and Creamy Musk.

I would describe Lola as pretty rather than seductive, the top notes open with a blast of pear and grapefruit, the floral notes come through quite quickly and the sillage and longevity are fair.

The dry down is soft and creamy and for me this is the best stage. Lola leaves a nice aura of 'pleasantness' on the skin and this lasts for a few fair hours before fading away completely.

Lola is not adventurous or anything that we have not seen before but that does not take away from the enjoyment at all, sure we've seen billions of fruity florals over the last few years but that doesn't make Lola bad in any sense of the word.

I'm not sure I agree with the description of 'Seductive and Alluring', perhaps 'Flirtatious and Sexy' would be more apt. Lola would suit a man if he was the type of guy who could get away with fruity florals without turning too many heads, I certainly don't feel uncomfortable wearing it.

Will I get a bottle? Probably, not so much for the juice just because I find it incredibly hard to resist that bottle!

Quarry's avatar

Isabela Capeto by Isabela Capeto

On first sniff, I'm reminded of Black Cashmere. On second whiff, Au Thé Blanc. Sniff, BC; wait, whiff, ATB; wait, sniff, BC ... It's the funniest thing. It's like the fragrance resets each time I go to smell it. If you like either or both of those scents, you may like Isabela Capeto.

trikkirikki's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Baroque by Fragonard

The ginger hits me in as it opens, it's nice and not at all over powering. It lingers in the background for quite a while. As the flowers settle, the base gets a powdery feel to it which isn't at all unpleasant. The overall impression is good, a nice, straight forward floral with a nice ginger twist and a powdery drydown. On me, the edt lasts forever.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

CK Free by Calvin Klein

Wow, what a waste of time and effort on the juice, especailly for a bottle so nice. Been there, done that, ho-hum acquatic and calone rubbish. I tries hard but fails hard. You get the usual melony mess in the opening, then a wannabe manly woodiness in the dry down. The middle is a boring a making conversation with a stripper...you know you are getting nothing but BS. I mean Tobacco leaves? Coffee? Where??? Absinthe on the top note only because Absinthe is now leagal in the US. Don't know what it smells like but I doubt its there. Don't waste your time.

30th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

scentsitivity's avatar

Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper

I am not inclined to buy a Bay Rum scent for myself, but I do think this one is very nicely done: warm and loaded with cloves!

scentsitivity's avatar

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

I think this one is awful. On top, I get a metallic note, a noxema note and a sweet-nothing note. And then, just when it seems it can’t get any worse, the algae accord shows up! I don’t like this one at all! (It does feel like a more conventional (and dull) aquatic later in the drydown, but it isn't worth waiting for.)

Hilaire's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

I bought this on holiday, and oh my god did I have a rollercoaster of a time with it. One moment I would despise it as smelling like the kind of fragrance men from eastern europe in fake Porsche leather jackets wear to stun women in bars in to submission, the next minute I was intrigued and seduced by its weird combination of new car smell and sharp metalic lavender. At times I was revolted by the dry down, which would sink in to the direst depths of rank poor quality Lavender and at other times I would be grabbing for items of my clothing it had lingered on to try and capture a snort of something sexy and woody which I hadn't smelt before while wearing it.

I've been through the gamut with this fragrance, which if the main requirement of a fragrance is that it provoke a reaction would make it a roaring success, but I've decided I like it quite a lot. The new car-ness reminds me of the base of Miracle pour Homme, which I suppose isn't a surprise, but it is much less floral, and much more lavenderish, which I think could be the origin of my crazy reaction to the fragrance overall ( I'm not good with Lavenders ), and actually despite my initial waves of horror I actually do think it smells rather refined and masculine with a definite tobaccco note which I like, and Yuri and his lothario ways has finally been banished thank god. It really doesn't last very long which is either a really bad thing or a really good thing, I still can't work that one out.

highart21's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom by Donna Karan

I casually spritzed this on one day while waiting in line to buy other products at Ulta, as it was a new release being promoted near the counter. While driving home I could not stop sniffing my arm; it smelled like the natural juicy apricot and peach combination I am always in search of. I got excited and quickly ordered a big bottle from Sephora (to get my samples!). Once it arrived I sprayed it on generously and expected to just bask in my deliciousness; instead I found myself checking the packaging to make sure I had bought the same perfume I had sampled at the store. It now smelled much more artificially sweet and reminded me of more fermented fruit rather than fresh, much like some fruity lambic beers I have had. I appreciate it now for what it is on my skin---it's just a bit more synthetically fruity sweet than I had hoped. It mellows out nicely on me, though, and I would recommend it for the fruity floral fans.

Parure by Guerlain

Guerlain Parure

Parure refers to a matching set of earrings and necklace and I find that only appropriate as this 1975 creation by Jean-Paul Guerlain feels like a beautiful piece of fragrant jewelry every time I wear it. Parure is a chypre in every sense of the word but M. Guerlain also managed to add in a leather accord that takes this to a lovely animalic place at the end. The top of this starts with the classic chypre bergamot beginning but it is paired with a deep plum note which contrasts the sparkle that bergamot brings to the beginning quite nicely. The heart is a rose-dominated bouquet of florals. Rose comes forward first but it is joined by jasmine and lilac which add a touch of sweet and astringency, respectively. This kind of balance is what realy allows scents, that are a cut above, to stand out. To use other florals to subtly change and enhance the central accord that is when I know I am in the hands of a perfumer who knows their business. It is here where the leather accord comes forward and this is a strong full leather, on me. I find it similar to the leather accord in Cabochard de Gres but a little more intense. Parure finally settles down into the truly classic oakmoss dominated base that defines the chypre class. Parure has great longevity and typical sillage for a Guerlain. Parure is a complex scent that has displayed different facets to me upon every wearing and that makes it a joy to behold. If you are a lover of chypres Parure deserves to be on your list.

Nahéma by Guerlain

Guerlain Nahema

A rose is a rose is a rose so sayeth Gertrude Stein. When it comes to perfume that is not true there are many roses out there and not all of them are created equal. Then there are the roses that seem like mythical flowers that seem to have no imitators and no equal. Jean-Paul Guerlain's 1979 creation for Guerlain, Nahema, is arguably the greatest rose scent ever made. According to Luca Turin in Perfumes The Guide this was done without using any actual rose oil. Instead this is perfumers sleight of hand, in other words magic. There are only a few scents that have made me have to wear them multiple time before I feel properly equipped to talk about them. I think the scientist in me believed that I would be able to tease the individual components out the more I wore Nahema to see how rose could be created without rose, I can't. Therefore like the greatest magic acts I finaly admit defeat and just sit back and let the illusion happen because its spectacular. Nahema starts with a heady blast of rose and what I find so interesting is the rose seems to change character a number of times throughout the development on my skin first it seems to be a tea rose, then a bulgarie-like rose, then something else as my head spins trying to follow the bouncing rose until I just let it wash over me. The rose is eventually joined by a lush peach note. This is a peach that is so full and round it would burst if it fell off the tree. This lush peach is perfect and properly defines this as a fruity floral but if you're comparing it to the hundreds of fruity florals that are out there, please stop. That is like comparing a Bentley to a SmartCar. Nahema uses the interplay of both notes to create a symphony and while this is a fruity floral it is in no way over-the-top sweet like so many in the class. As Nahema finally settles into its base a mix of vanilla and sandalwood show up and bring this to a soothing slightly sweet woody close. Nahema has great longevity and sillage. Nahema is one of those benchmark scents; it is an astonishing example of a rose scent, it is an astonishing example of a fruity floral and finally it is just plain astonishing.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Annick Goutal Eau D'Hadrien

I love to go out and eat at a nice restaurant, order the chef's tasting menu, be presented with multiple courses of amazing culinary concoctions and roll home sated and satisfied. The next day I am usually up for something much less complex. A nice piece of fish simply spiced on the grill and some fresh summer vegetables always seems right. As I eat the simpler meal I am always reminded that there are joys in simpicity. As it is with food so it is with perfume. I will wax poetically about a scent with overlapping accords that combine to create new artistic leaps of scent. Then there is the 1981 creation, by Annick Goutal and Francis Camail, Eau D'Hadrien. This is the olfactory version of simple, well-blended perfection. Eau D'Hadrien has six listed notes but there are only four that I smell when I wear it; lemon, grapefruit, citron, and cypress. The development is as straight-forward as can be. The top is tart lemon and grapefruit but the lemon is dominant. As the scent progresses the citron takes the lead toning down the tarter aspects of the beginning notes. The base is a clean, light cypress note. That's it, there is nothing else to report but that doesn't mean this isn't one of the best citrus scents out there. Eau D'Hadrien has above average longevity especially for this class of cologne. It also just feels comfortable. Like most colognoisseurs I am looking for the next great thing but along the way I'm going to stop and sniff the simple well-constructed things and remember there is pleasure to be found there.

Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile

I went to graduate school at the University of Georgia and one of the lingering scent memories of Athens, GA was the smell of the magnolias. Magnolia has a beautiful scent to me and a perfume that is centered around it is one that will appeal to me. Enter Antoine Maisondieu who has designed the 2009 release for Acqua di Parma, Magnolia Nobile. This is the second in the Nobili series to 2004's Iris Nobile. I am a big fan of Iris Nobile because the iris really stands out in that scent and I was hoping for the same thing in Magnolia Nobile. The top is what seems to be the Acqua di Parma trademark opening, bergamot and lemon. I wonder if you are forced to begin with this if you are asked to design a scent for Acqua di Parma. As a beginning it is fine but the sameness of it has the effect of making one stifle a yawn because you've encountered this beginning so many times before. Thankfully, just as in Iris Nobile, the titular star of the show makes its appearance quickly and powerfully as magnolia comes into play. This is a magnolia in full-bloom on a humid early summer day in the South. There is a hint of green but the floral sweet character of magnolia is cleanyl delineated in the heart of this one. The magnolia is joined by a touch of jasmine and a hint of rose but, as in Iris Nobile, those are mere grace notes; the heart of this is magnolia pure and simple. The magnolia stays in place for a good long time before slowly giving way to a woody vanilla base cut with a little vetiver and patchouli. It keeps the sweet level on a par with that of the heart and thus allows the magnolia to continue to linger without being overwhelmed. Magnolia Nobile is a close wearing long lasting eau de parfum. As they did with Iris Nobile, Acqua di Parma has created another singular floral sensation in Magnolia Nobile, let's hope we don't have to wait five more years for the next Nobili.

vintage*red's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

When I was in Boston this summer, I entered a very pretentious Hermes store where the staff was so posh that they did not bother to approach me. So I charged behind the counter for a try at a couple of fragrances. Un jardin is a flimsy, fruity affair with little staying power. If only it were as pretentious as the sales clerks...

vintage*red's avatar

Hermèssence Vanille Galante by Hermès

I love the remarks of Vibert! Although this really is a pretty little vanilla/floral scent, it is not particularly unusual or inspiring or long lasting. I prefer Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka, a similiar scent but one with a little more backbone. I wish that I could detect the lily in this fragrance, but all I perceive is a vague floral. (I think that part of my indifference to the Hermes fragrances is the aloof staff at Hermes stores!) Definately a fragrance for those who do not like fragrance!

AnimaSola's avatar

Dunhill by Dunhill

Very classy. I agree it is a little synthetic, but that does not detract from the beauty of the scent. The aromatic wood and musk is supported by the muted lemon and flowery note like a bridesmaid and usher in deference. I have never met a Dunhill fragrance I didn't like.

AnimaSola's avatar

Corduroy by Zirh

This is very nice with warm wood notes, and a sweet undertone. Pleasant dry down.

leogeee's avatar

Exceptional Because You Are for Men by Exceptional

I received a sample from Fragrance.net when my Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin arrived. This is a very synthetic citrus blend destined for Marshalls--it's been done to death. An Acqua Di Gio wannebe. Skip it.

PorkFat's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Love the opening! Smokey incense that takes me back to burning leaves as a child. A very light smoke mixed with pantry spices and vetiver. The smoke burns off too soon and the whole mix turns into a lighter version of Encre Noir after a couple of hours. Too bad as that smoke is why I like it.

terrypitts's avatar

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

Like other reviewers, I'm only finding the cedar note. If I concentrate very hard I can detect the incense. Nothing offensive, nothing special.

laral28's avatar

Lola by Marc Jacobs

Really wanted to love this one, but it just isn't right on me. The initial spray is nice, but it really started to strengthen in the middle notes. It was really spicy on me. It may smell really great on someone else but the spice was just too much for me. When it settled on me it almost reminded me of Mackie, which was strange because the notes are so different. I am giving it a neutral, because perhaps if you are lover of spice this will appeal to you.

Kirsten's avatar

Nuit de Noël by Caron

I scored a vintage, sealed bottle on eBay. I know others have had problems with getting duped or having the perfume poured out, but this was a great experience. The bottle was very carefully packaged, and after I managed to get the stopper off (cut cord, twist, try not to cuss, twist again, hold warm towel over stopper, twist, be thankful when it comes off. Alcohol bath would've probably helped loosen whatever waxy sealant stuff was on there.) This is a beautiful parfum. The cedar came out strong at first, but then settled down to a chilly snowy night. I also smelled a bit of woodsmoke before the clove and a hint of citrus came out. I'm saving this to wear in the month of December.

seasoldiermarine's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I remember during my teen years (read: old enough to shave) receiving for christmas or a birthday the custumary bottle of old spice or brut, and I understood this passage in time. And I would Cherish the day Some one would get me an up graded after shave, like the one's my father wore. Azzaro Pour Homme, Aramis, Paco Rabanne. I would some times sneak a little on after a shave and my father would come home from work and smell me and give me a wink and a smile. On my 17th or 18th (don't remember which one) birthday my old man got me a gift set of Polo. Yep, and I stared at it realizing my father finally accepted that I was a "Man". Maybe not a man like him, but a Man nontheless. And I've worn this classic fragrance ever since. Hmmm, I have a 16 year old son.

cosmicgirl's avatar

Fleurs Blanches by L'Aromarine

Fleurs Blanches is just lovely! I especially recommend it for young ladies - like a starter fragrance. It's very easy to wear and one of the best white florals I've tried.

Headtohoof's avatar

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

This is a great fragrance. I think it definitely has notes of vanilla and musk. Every single time I wear it, I have complete strangers walk up to me and say, "Gosh, you smell wonderful/great/sexy!!" (etc.) This is a fragrance to wear if you want to get noticed. I agree with another comment that it is pungent and lasts quite a while.

lefay's avatar

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This was love at first sniff, during a Basenotes Boston event at Barney's. (Fellow attendees who can't wear the fragrance were jealous.) According to Tanya Sanchez (from "Perfumes: The Guide"), "Phenylacetic acid smells like honey in dilution, like urine at concentration." The rest, one might say, is skin chemistry -- which is why some are overwhelmed by what they describe as a urinous note while others are captivated by MdB.

I smell honey, wood, flowers, and even hints of nag champa. This comes terribly close to being an ideal woody oriental on me, a perfect autumn/winter fragrance that manages to combine an ethereal spiritual quality with just a hint of dirtiness. And it has staying power.

Because it tends to elicit such strong responses, pro and con, test MdB on your skin and live with it for a few hours before splurging for a bottle.

Postscript: After the scent has been on my skin for 3 hours or so, the friendly honey note turns wicked -- i.e., New York subway station in July. So disappointing.

30th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)