Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

cosmicgirl's avatar

Fleurs Blanches by L'Aromarine

Fleurs Blanches is just lovely! I especially recommend it for young ladies - like a starter fragrance. It's very easy to wear and one of the best white florals I've tried.

30th August, 2009

Headtohoof's avatar

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

This is a great fragrance. I think it definitely has notes of vanilla and musk. Every single time I wear it, I have complete strangers walk up to me and say, "Gosh, you smell wonderful/great/sexy!!" (etc.) This is a fragrance to wear if you want to get noticed. I agree with another comment that it is pungent and lasts quite a while.

30th August, 2009

lefay's avatar

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This was love at first sniff, during a Basenotes Boston event at Barney's. (Fellow attendees who can't wear the fragrance were jealous.) According to Tanya Sanchez (from "Perfumes: The Guide"), "Phenylacetic acid smells like honey in dilution, like urine at concentration." The rest, one might say, is skin chemistry -- which is why some are overwhelmed by what they describe as a urinous note while others are captivated by MdB.

I smell honey, wood, flowers, and even hints of nag champa. This comes terribly close to being an ideal woody oriental on me, a perfect autumn/winter fragrance that manages to combine an ethereal spiritual quality with just a hint of dirtiness. And it has staying power.

Because it tends to elicit such strong responses, pro and con, test MdB on your skin and live with it for a few hours before splurging for a bottle.

Postscript: After the scent has been on my skin for 3 hours or so, the friendly honey note turns wicked -- i.e., New York subway station in July. So disappointing.

30th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Cabaret Homme by Grès

A fresh, spicy fougère suitable for sporty, daytime, or casual wear. It also makes a good workplace scent. While this is nothing earth-shaking or terribly innovative, it is a good, somewhat quiet, and fairly suave scent. Freshness from pineapple in the top, with rosemary, coriander, juniper berries, and basil for herbal and spicy notes; there are delicate florals in the heart, sporting lavender to pick up the herbal top, lily of the valley for subtlety, and a touch of jasmine for depth; oriental base notes of woods, amber, and more spice (clove and absinthe) complement the oakmoss and tonka bean which, with the lavender, give the fougère triad. Smooth, suave, acceptably (or deceptively?) well-mannered.

Opening Night by Lucien Lelong

Sadly, this is quite awful. It may have been innovative in 1935, but it smells just like every other drug store cologne from the 70's. Heavy, sweet and overpowering. It is endlessly linear and boring. I have a 4 oz. vintage bottle. Luckily I love the bottle.

Insensé by Givenchy

This stuff gets better every time I wear it. First, I thought it was thin and uninspired, but I gave it a second chance. The second time it was better. The third time was the charm. The floral opening is quite restrained and light, but the scent grows richer in the drydown, and i can't stop sniffing myself. It wears fairly close, and I have never received any comments about it. Sometimes I like a scent that is just for me; it appeals to my selfish side. Very nice.

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Unwearable, unbearable, disappointing and way, way overpriced. This is one of only two fragrances to make me sick to my stomach. Like many Roucel creations, this one splits on my skin resulting in strident top notes and booming base notes with no middle to hold them together. This might not be bad if the scent evolved, but it is dreadfully linear and just downright painful. I do appreciate when artists try to push the envelope, but there should still be something of interest inside the envelope.
    I tried diluting it with perfumer's alcohol. Still horrible.

Aramis by Aramis

I like it a lot. On me, it smells like a lighter, friskier, and all-around more enjoyable version of Hermes Bel Ami. They share startling citrus topnotes, a barely noticeable floral background, and a deep leathery base. However, where Bel Ami gets nauseatingly heavy with a fog of vanilla and oppressive leathery chemicals, Aramis keeps its humor as it dries into a nice light patchouli/sandalwood accord that compliments and freshens the leather notes. Very nice and very wearable. Big thumbs up; I'll be getting a bottle soon.

Vintage by John Varvatos

It starts out something like the original, plus some various spices, then dries to a bland "suede" vanilla. Which means they're trying to justify and market a synthetic vanilla note. I tested this having not read these reviews or really knowing anything about the fragrance. I was kind of hoping a for a leathery version of the original, just by looking at the bottle. I guess I should have known better.

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

I have to admit that I was skeptical of all the "pure pepper" reviews. Plus, I like dry pepper notes. But come on Burberry, I like pepper...but within reason! After about 10 seconds of a green opening, it smells like ground black pepper and nothing else. It dries down in 20 minutes to - wait for it - nothing. Not even a bland woody cedar base. And I usually don't have longevity problems. Get your act together, Burberry.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Hervé Léger by Hervé Léger

Herve' Leger is plain and simple : Jasmine, Heliotrope, Sandalwood. You might presume it to be merely another run-o-the-mill designer frag, but you'd be missing out. This perfectly blended trio is mouthwatering, sweet, and sexy too. Extremely feminine and a sure fire compliment getter. The jasmine is subdued, and really feminine here. It is exactly the right flower to pair with the gourmand feeling of cherry/almond heliotrope. Let's not forget a luxurious and creamy sandalwood for warmth. Herve Leger radiates exquisitely off the skin, with fine sillage and excellent longevity...I read somewhere that it's creation has been credited to Alberto Morillas. Ladies, the next time you go sniffing, seek this out!

31st August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

ubuandibeme's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Truly a "reference" fragrance. Classic in composition, I consider it simply the benchmark of colognes!

Skip Savage's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I won't get bogged down in this review with comparisons to Creed OV, nor will I make snide remarks about its longevity or soapy character.

I will simply say I like this fragrance and give it a well-deserved a thumbs up. Eight reasons.

First, it was influential.
    Second, it's not expensive.
    Third, it's not linear.
    Fourth, it lasts all day without stinking up the joint.
    Fifth, the color of the juice and the bottle it comes in are pleasant.
    Sixth, it comes in a range of other products.
    Seventh, it's not a Creed, Hermes or Guerlain, but can hold its own, no sweat.
    Eighth, it's versatile, summer, winter, day or night.

Bonus reason: you can get it anywhere.

lespritz's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I bought the 50ml bottle for $19.99, and for that I have no complaints. The smell is a bit faint, but for the price, just double the squirts on! The size of the nifty hockey puck-like bottle makes it ideal to take along with you in a coat. An enjoyable aquatic.

scentsitivity's avatar

Ivy League by Domenico Caraceni

Green, floral, bright and musky. It comes across rather synthetic smelling, particularly in the green notes to me. I can’t say that it smells bad, but nothing I would purchase or wear myself.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Red Jeans by Versace

Nice little semi-trashy number, all chemical-ey berries on me. Nice and fresh in a bubblegum-and-jeans way. May make a nice impulse buy for summer some day soon.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Baby Rose Jeans by Versace

I don't find this very sweet at all! Tenderest, softest little rosy thing, perfect, IMO, for hot nights. Very simplistic, but sometimes that's all you want. It really strikes me as 'pure rose', but obviously that's an illusion. Lovely little bottle.

highart21's avatar

Ode à la Joie by Yves Rocher

I love this stuff. I agree with elm0505 that it is a happy, sunny scent.
    It smells fresh and stays fresh. This would be great as a shampoo scent.

SirSlarty's avatar

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo

While being one that loves light, aquatic scents... this one leaves me scratching my head. Clean and watery indeed it is but for me it's so watered down that the only thing I can think of to use this for is bed sheet refreshener. I have Febreeze for that which also softens the fabric.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Wow. I'll admit that this fragrance is tolerable for a brief moment when you first sniff it, but boy does its sharpness and synthetic nature become annoying quickly. I really don't like this fragrance, and believe me, I tried my best to find some good qualities about it. The sad thing about it is that I can't even tolerate it in sparing quantities.

Okay, so this is a green fragrance that masquerades as an aquatic by splashing in a fruity-marine note. Objectively speaking, it performs well as a EDT: notable projection and decent longevity; however, I think it is very synthetic (think household cleaning products[not the lemony kind either]) and cheap smelling. Its not even remotely appealing after 2 mins on skin. I have to give this a thumbs down just for being repulsive and a poor attempt at perfumery. But that said, there may be someone out there who's natural chemistry allows this fragrance to bloom beautifully. I doubt it.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Absolument Absinthe Le Parfum D'Interdits by Liquoristerie de Provence

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet. Absolument Absinthe is basically a slightly more floral interpretation of CK One. Try sampling them side by side! This is overpriced crap -- avoid!

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Antonio by Antonio Banderas

I do not find any bad about Antonio, by Antonio Banderas... it’s a safe scent and I and others who smelled it closely on me admired it... for me no perfume is an everyday perfume... coz I get bored myself if I use the same fragrance more than 2-3 days...

It’s a justified value against money in which u can get a 100ml of this... starts off citrusy and woody and remains linear.. Haven’t feel much change from its start to end.. Silage and longevity are quite reasonable.

I give it a sure thumb up!

bbBD's avatar

Accenti by Gucci

Accenti?? I'd never heard of this fragrance until I saw sample vials on the site of a discount retailer. I gave it a whirl and ordered a couple samples, and I loved them so much I had to find a bottle (which I did very quickly). To say Accenti is a 'fruity floral' isn't really fair because of the connotation in today's perfume market. Yes, it is a fruity floral, but you simply must believe me that this is an *adult* fruity floral. It's not sugar sweet, it's not ditzy, and most importantly it IS extremely well made. As other reviewers mention, Accenti is extremely potent - one spray provides ample sillage for many, many hours.

The initial blast is of 'fruit salad' of sorts; Black currant, berry and peach combined in the most absurdly lush fashion. The fruity accord is not sugary sweet, but it is very bold and...well...bold. Rose and jasmine are in the background, and as the opening blast of fruit calms down the floral heart comes more clearly into focus, balancing and drying the fruit notes. The movement from fruit blast to is quite remarkable, and a subtle layer of tonka moves in with the florals, supporting the heart notes and adding a subtle nutty/woodiness. The heart persists for an incredibly long time - hours in fact. There is a slow movement to the base as a subtle creamy vanilla twinged with sandalwood merges with the floral heart. Like the eviewer foetidus, this is my favorite aspect of Accenti. The combo of fruit notes, florals, vanilla, and woody notes is so smooth and full that I can think of no other fruity florals that can even compare.

Accenti is profoundly feminine, and there is no way around it. It wears fantastically on women, and I love suggesting it to my wife. However for the guys out there not bothered by fruity florals, this one is truly remarkable. I have no explanation as to why it was discontinued or why, unlike some 'lost' designers (i.e. D&G By) there is little to no buzz about it. Fortunately this makes bottles, especially lightly used bottles, ripe for the picking on eBay.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

English Breakfast by Mark Buxton

Someone more fashion-conscious than I (Sarah Palin, for instance) will know who started the fad for citrus+ginger/saffron+light woods+incense which has been sweeping Perfumistadom and which is at its best in Diptyque’s L’eau de Tarocco. The opening of this has a wonderful, cool, rippling delicacy, a pure air which has you wanting to breathe deeper but which you somehow can’t get more of than is already there. It then warms up and flattens out and becomes an elusive let-down. It follows a line quite like his mb01 for Biehl Parfumkunstpretentiousnonsense – a dive from high clear (bergamot, gardenia) into warm swamp (jasmine, sandalwood/cedar). After three tries, I reluctantly conclude that the beauty of the first ten minutes is Not Enough, and that this is a nothing with exquisite edges, more a Zen conundrum than a scent. The title is a joke, like Heston Blumenthal’s bacon-and-egg ice-cream, but don’t worry, you won’t split your sides

djolney's avatar

Trouble by Boucheron

Another misnamed fragrance: Trouble is a rich oriental that represents warm and comfortable femininity.

It opens with a pretty combination of heliotrope and white flowers on top of a fruit note I can’t identify. It is a very feminine fragrance that is somehow soft and vibrant at the same time.

Like so many Boucherons, Trouble rests on a warm, rich, and complex vanilla base. In this case the vanilla is infused with cedar, musk, and a bit of spice.

Longevity and sillage are very good.

There are similarities to YSL’s Cinema, but I find Trouble to be more engaging and less syrupy than Cinema.

hollyc's avatar

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

I have read so many reviews of vintage perfumes that have been mangled at the hands of accountants with ice cubes in their veins. I have seldom, however, had the opportunity to sample them unaltered so can only sympathize with how sad it is to see great materpieces defaced. Oud Queen Roses, for me, falls into the category of masterpiece. It is a rich rose with intoxicating boozy undertones that possesses a sexy intensity that is unbelievable. It has amazing sillage and huge lasting power. It is nice to know that there are still such fragrances being made and I feel fortunate to be able to own it before (God forbid!) it gets reformulated. All the accountants out there stabbing beautiful perfumes throught their hearts with your pointy pencils should be boiled in a vat of Pine Sol! A thousand thumbs up for Queen Roses and Pierre Montale!

Royall Vetiver by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Semi-sweet vetiver with lime. This scent gives me a headache and has a slightly unpleasant acidic edge, but it's not really a bad fragrance. Very medicinal and sharp. Worth a try, but not mind-blowing.

31st August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2010)

Wild Hunt by CB I Hate Perfume

Sharp, bitter planty notes, soil, leaves, and decay come together in Wild Hunt. Very masculine, somewhat acrid, not at all "nice" smelling, but interesting nonetheless. If you've nursed an unrequited crush on a Republican senator you might wear this cologne when you try to seduce him at Bohemian Grove. Not a great choice for day to day wear.

Uncharted by Crabtree & Evelyn

Sweet ozonic notes dominate in this ephemeral, fresh offering from Crabtree and Evelyn. Dissipates almost instantly, and I've never actually detected any of the middle or base notes. A clean, airy scent. Somewhat synthetic. It's a very nice smelling, youthful, unsophisticated cologne and although I don't find it especially interesting I find myself reaching for it frequently. Probably if you're on Basenotes you will find it a trifle naive, but for the non-connoisseur it's a safe bet.

Vips's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Antidote is an all time wear one of the best scents, It is subtle yet so pleasant and sophisticated scent. Two Thumbs up for Victor & Roff