Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

misscasey's avatar

Boucheron by Boucheron

NICE!! Unlike other scents of its genre and time, Boucheron is not very musky- just big, warm, and bright. Not too sweet, but sweet enough to make the florals feel at home.
    I like how its not too cheery and not too serious.
    Boucheron has found an important place on my "if I can find cheaply enough" wish list.

03rd August, 2009

Paninaro's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Dark and mysterious, but not oriental.

Floral, but not fresh and boring.

Elegant, but not that much formal.

Brilliant, but no doubt.

p.s. even more hard to define than Antidote.

03rd August, 2009

msleslie's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Isn't the experience of scent subjective? This was to me an instant flashback to visiting the Honda Motorcycle Dealership on Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco, in 1984 when my roommate worked there. The thick miasma was rubbery, oily, smoky, nasty, mysterious, high testosterone and quite intimidating.

Nice weird little memory of a long forgotten place but I can't imagine wanting to smell like that. TPG gave this 5 stars, so it's me who is wrong, clearly!

03rd August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th November, 2010)

glitteralex's avatar

Mila Schön (original) by Mila Schön

This scent exemplifies a transitonal perfume from the 70s green chypres to the 80s heavy floral-animalic chypres.
    Mila Schon is an absolutely gorgeous perfume. Not as heavy as some of the later 80s scents, but certainly not a light perfume. It boasts a full bodied citrus top (maybe mandarin + bergamot-reminds me a wee bit of Diorella's introduction) with mint, followed fast by a round, almost gourmand note. There is spice (nutmeg or mace?) and ylang-ylang, rose, possibly osmanthus in the heart. Sandal, Vanilla in the mild base.

Hoping someone has the official notes out there.

03rd August, 2009 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2011)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Aromatic Lime by Montale

Not bad.
    It's not lime.
    And It's not aromatic.
    However, It is Montale.
    Wake me up when it's on sale at Marshall's for $1.75
    On second thought, don't bother.

Clean Men by Clean

I just adore this stuff! I think its because it reminds me of some Play Doh type stuff I had as a kid! Really clean and inoffensive. Maybe not for everyone but difficult to offend with this I would say! Certainly it is overpriced but can be found cheaper online!

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I just don't get the appeal of this at all. Its so dry it hurts my nose and its really very linear. Not that being linear is always a bad thing but this is just vile! Non pour moi!

Omnia Green Jade by Bulgari

Booooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring! Really non descript to be honest! Pretty poor.

lex's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

this one starts off synthetic. then with haste this scent gets intriguing. i get some ginger. the discrete tobacco and ambergris is intresting and one whiff of this wont do because its enticing. the issues i have is that the one is inconsistent with that experience and at times the synthetic presence tends to hang around. a nice one by D&G.

lex's avatar

Harajuku Lovers - Love by Gwen Stefani

starts off kinda tacky with a burst of notes clashing. when love starts to relax, there is a faint fruity presence.creamy jasmine accompanied by a wonderful light musk in which is all on a body odor scent foundation. the scents housing had me thinking no but never judge a book by its cover right.

odysseusm's avatar

Sandringham by Crown Perfumery

On me, this is a powerful, aromatic mossy-herbal scent. The citrus and floral escape me, or disappear instantly. The herbal notes are very interesting. I detect thyme in abundance, and also perhaps marjoram, mint and/or rosemary. There are supposed to be “sweet woody notes” but I find they are very minor, compared to the assertive and slightly sweet herbal notes. I appreciate herbal scents, and I enjoy this one. But for me, it is so assertive that I must apply lightly. I find it really gains in intensity in the drydown. It definitely has an old-school vibe.

Heartwood's avatar

Cashmere Musk by Ava Luxe

I used to say, "I can't wear musk. It doesn't smell right on me. It's too heavy and suffocating...," etc. This is a wonderful, well-blended, clean musk. The fragrance is softly floral (I typically don't like delicate florals) and a little bit soapy (don't like soapy or powdery) and musky (see above), and I really like it! This scent is as "animalic" as a white fluffy kitten with blue eyes playing in a knitting basket on a southern veranda in the springtime.

scentsitivity's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I stand with the minority of reviewers that dislike this Eau d’Hadrien. It is dominated by a rather harsh and unpleasant lemon note that I do not like at all (and I do enjoy quite a few lemon scents, ranging from Acqua di Parma Colonia to Eau Sauvage). I have tried it several times now and can’t get any enjoyment out of it; a definite thumbs down.

scentsitivity's avatar

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

A beautiful, realistic citrus opening, but quite short-lived. A touch of lavender, cedar and tonka underneath. A must try classic Eau de Cologne. I personally prefer Guerlain’s Eau de Cologne du Coq, as providing a little more complexity and longevity. But there is nothing wrong with this 1853 classic!

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Smells incensey in the top notes, then turns into tar and tires, then turns into a vanillic musk. Bulgari Black suceeds in what CdG Tar was attempting: turning roadwork into a wearable fragrance. Surprisingly delightful, and I love that bottle!

Olène by Diptyque

Olene is a white-hot white floral that sears itself into your brain like a lightning bolt. Jasmine and muguet, but lacking the smooth, pleasing roundness of the real flowers, being both a simpler and more stripped down accord as well as being ten times louder than nature's version. This is a sharp fragrance, but surprisingly not heavy given the volume of the sillage. It lasts a long time, too, developing a slight mushroomy quality far into the base I've yet to identify.

Bold and shocking but not particularly unique or interesting, this is a floral with amphetamine psychosis.

Mintea by Masakï Matsushïma

The top notes are great, a fruity-curried accord reminding me of the much more obscure and expensive Fougere Bengale or Marquis de Sade. I'd say it contains immortelle, but immortelle is usually a long-lasting note, and this vanishes in a few minutes, leaving a pallid aquatic citrus that's quite unremarkable, gradually fading to a vetiver-lite base. Also, I don't like mint, but if you're expecting it here, prepare to be disappointed. Neat bottle, though!

photofinish's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

An unconventional mixture of tangy, synthetic florals and smooth, resinous,earthy, pipe tobacco... whose combined essence could be mistaken for the vestige vapors emanating from well-worn, unlaundered clothing.

However, the exquisite Grecian bottle is deserving of the highest praise.

04th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 24th March, 2010)

ortho123's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

The "idea" of this scent is the same as the experience of wearing it. There's points for that, for execution. And bigger points for trying to go "warm." But how much do I like this story?

Yes indeed, grapes, grapes ,grapes (rounder than the odious grapes in CK Eternity) into Vanilla Cole, akind of countdown. In between the imaginary bubbles what many new scents require: a fairly traditional drydown, asserting itself here and there...while some or many might wait...patiently.

What's "current" is the wood, and as you try it out, walk it around, it escapes the more common "pencil shavings" accusation with a leather you're thankful for. Of course, there's level one for quite awhile, that sensual? soda slowly losing its fizz.

In some ways there is a sham sense of "mystery" to this scent with its enduring "level one" as I call it, like some section of shopping mall or even a supermarket you keep returning to before moving toward the apartment, the sofa, the bedroom. A flirty sort of compostion, and I don't associate "flirty" with very masculine...

A nice one to describe, not much of one I would wear or even recommend, for the sake of later moments where level one and drydown balance.

ortho123's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

To the mature audience: don't wait around for the drydown. Or when you do, get ready to pretend. Comes with a fake ID to prove that you're fifteen.

The most accurate reviews here in terms of "smells like" is Mr. T's, Anthony 87, Frederik and Quarry IMO: Strawberry Fields ...Kiddie City...Dietetic Joop Jello...and when you get to the drydown/tonedown, feel free to fool yourself about the patchouli (or to keep things honest, at least "which" patchouli). The strawberriest patchouli? Notice, however, I'm not that fond of this scent or even of attempts to grant it ever more subtle perceptions. But hey, let's not spoil it for the kids...no need to actually hate it.

This scent is marketed with the simple belief that almost anything gourmandish is an automatic winner...

I give it a big neutral like one of those strawberry scent car freshner strawberries or trees...

beta's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is one fragrance I never managed to make my mind about. It is deeply sweet, but somewhat salty and for me, strangely oily - like a mix of peanuts, cinnamon and soap. It doesn't smell bad, however I would never buy myself a bottle of this.

Bigsly's avatar

Fig & Vetiver by Anthousa

Well, I guess I'm used to fragrances that are at least a bit sweet, because I don't find much of anything here. I'll just skip to the base, because I try to avoid the top notes of all fragrances. To me, this was a dusty green/floral, a bit dry but not very dry. It comes across as a one unit, so if someone calls this creamy that makes sense, but it's not the kind of creamy I like. Something is missing for me, as if it was somehow mixed incorrectly and some ingredients were omitted. It was a strange sensation, actually, smelling a fragrance that seemed to be missing a vital part, but what's there is fairly good, just not something I personally like, so I'll give it a neutral.

bbBD's avatar

Complex by Boadicea the Victorious

I rarely pan fragrances because even if I don't care for the accords I can usually find redeeming qualites that others may enjoy. That said, this is by far one of the worst fragrances I have ever sampled. I was hopeful given the notes because I love dark, animalic leather scents but Complex goes horribly, horribly wrong. The top notes remind me of the smell of the underside of an old car - gasolline and dirt. Not gasoline like, say, Dior Fahrenheit - or a 'fuel' type leather such as Caron En Avion - but gasoline. This strong gassy topnote slowly fades from gasoline into something resembling an overflowing cigarette ashtray at which point a touch of violet peers out from underneath. The violet isn't nearly sweet enough to balance the 'ashtray accord'. Not only is Complex difficult to take, but it's not original, either. The leather/violet combo is very similar to Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste. In fact the best way to describe the fragrance is to imagine the smell of someone who just applied Cuir Amethyste to their hand and then dipped their still-wet hand into an ashtray.

Unfortunately for me I dabbed on Complex right before getting in the car for a long drive, thus I couldn't scrub as I normally would have (though it did give me the opportunity to smell it long enough to review it). The sillage is heavy - the small dab overpowered the Pour Monsieur I was wearing - and it has tenacious longevity. I could still smell hints of it hours after scrubbing.

As someone who appreciates the concept as 'fragrance as art, even if unwearable' I have a high threshold for weirdness. However Complex is not an artistic statement gone wrong (such as Etat Libre's Secretions Magnifique), it is just a terrible fragrance.

andyman32's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This won't be a popular position to take, but I haven't liked a Serge Lutens fragrance to date, out of about half a dozen samples I have accumulated. Ambre Sultan is no exception. In a word, they are all too subtle (limited silage), offer poor duration (Ambre Sultan is a bit better than others in this regard), too sweet, and too gourmand. In each of them, there's some combination of gingerbread (or, stale ginger root), cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, powder, and ambergris. All cloying stuff, and as it turns out, I despise cinnamon notes in fragrances, across the board, which doesn't help. Ambre Sultan IS a well-constructed, subtle and natural fragrance, but is totally, unwaveringly dull. Also not designed for those who don't like wearing food on their wrists & neck. Save a boatload of money and just put two gingerbread men doused with vanilla extract in your pocket.

Arpeggiator's avatar

Germany Germany

1828 by Histoires de Parfums

Reading the (top) notes of 1828 I expected a fresh summer scent. On the test strip it works by and large.
    The fruity top notes are there, but as well as a heavy, annoying, almost ambery note. I noticed this tang in
    Un Parfum des Sens et Bois for the first time. I'm not sure what it is, because both
    fragrances hardly have any ingredient in common. But it's off-putting for me. All the more when I applied 1828 to the
    skin: The freshness is blown away. Normally, vetiver-cedar-incense are ingredients I greatly appreciate, but here
    they doesn't work well together. It might be the combination with clove, which give them a heavy sweetness.
    I recommend to apply 1828 not on a really hot summer day like I did.
    (3/10)

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Sublime by Jean Patou

Leave 1000 and Joy to the ladies but all men should try Sublime at least once and be mesmerized. Masterly even by the lofty standard of Patou, beautifully constructed and, yes, Sublime indeed!

Palicao's avatar

Philosykos by Diptyque

I was used to smell this since a month ago. Then my friend left and she went back to her country and she left here half a bottle of it for me.
    So one day I woke up and I used it.. and that day is today.
    Fig, you say... I say a forest of figs tree and the warmth of a hug with a cashmere jumper.
    It's sweet but it's sweetness remains somehow linear and pleasant and under control of your skin... it's strong indeed, you can bet that it will last and people will ask about it pretty often... but then after you wear it for quite a while it blends completly with your skin and the ceader comes a little bit out and you might think it's gone. But it's not. It will stay on your wrist like a close friend will stay with you... in silence maybe, waiting for the moment you move that arm and the fragrance is ready to be free again in the air.
    Don't be bold with it, use it sparingly and no more that one drop... it's strong and sweet and you can easily put too much of it on, ruining its appeal.

It's listed as a fragrance for both sexes... but I must say it's slightly toward the feminine pole.
    it would be amazing though on the right man, the one able to me masculine and charming just because of the perfume of his own non-scented skin... since this perfume is simple and well done, it will blend wonderfully on him, adapting to the skin and loosing that sweetness... then he probably will put a beige cardigan on his Polo Ralph Lauren white outfit and he will go out in the summer of a distant city, with an unusual sun piercing through the leaves of immense fig trees where a cute lady dressed with an asymetrical skirt is waiting for him to go to buy some good and fresh food at the local market. And that will be when we will figure out that he stole her bottle of Philosykos and we will smile and we will proceed in reading our book in that greek restaurant ordering maybe more Tzatiki.

Palicao's avatar

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

Orangy, fruity, summery... CK One Summer smells like a sun round and orange with a hint of clouds.
    It's interesting that the orange/zesty tones are fading quite soon on my skin, leaving a subtle middle tone of a different nature, more slightly watery than I expected.
    Since it was a gift from a friend I'm using it and with success, everyone likes the freshness of it and to be honest the lasting is great.
    I don't find it particularly interesting or unusual, it's just a good perfume for everyday casual outfits but certainly something simple and fresh and young... good for summer.
    A great fragrance? Nope, it's far from that. It's not bold or complicated or utterly meaningful... it's just a good mixture for an average summer with no special mindsets or places that comes to my pretty visual mind. Proably a lot of people will like it for it's inner averageness and you're receive compliments for sure.
    Where this summer is to be lived, only CK probably knows.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I recently reviewed the occasionally excellent Bulgari Por Homme Soir, but its habit of allowing the excellent accords it produced to disappear intermittently diminished my regard for its overall quality. Bulgari Pour Homme on the other hand, has no such issue. There was a delightfully parched feel to the opening, and it never left my skin, even towards its expiry some six hours later. There is a brief freshness in the top notes, but it is not zesty, or distracting enough to deviate the fragrance from the simple woody, and lightly spiced accord that is its backbone. It has a reasonable longevity, contained sillage,and the potential for effortless formal wear.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Quite why this should have survived when so many similar products have fallen by the wayside over the years is beyond me. It is not that I dislike it, it is just that there is so little to embrace or marvel in, it feels like such a contrivance. The sharp, oily opening is harsh and unsympathetic, but it does set the tone for the remainder of its life. The synthetic nature of the dry down, with its ersatz tobacco and spice accord is uninspiring and bland. One of the few fragrances that would probably benefit from future legislative reformulation.