Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Only The Brave by Diesel

There really isn't a great deal to Only the Brave, and what there is, is pretty ordinary. An unsatisfying, vaguely citrus opening gives this a poor start from which it never truly recovers. It hastens to a cedar and amber dry down that won't remain in anyones memory for very long. Whereas "Fuel For Life" is vivacious, bouncy and lots of fun, this is dour and miserable.

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

It would be an absurdity to part with the requisite finds to purchase this, when ones only real joy would be the delightfully brief grapefuit note present in the opening twenty minutes. It is seriously hampered by the brevity issue, and it is almost impossible to imagine why such a short lived product should see the light of day. The dry down, such as it is, is such pale imitation of the opening, that it is impossible not to feel cheated by Hermes for raising our hopes.

Eternity Summer for Men 2009 by Calvin Klein

There are very few fragrances that I loathe more than the original,but Summer Edition does at least sprinkle some glitter onto the Eternity name. Its a rather cliched take on a summer fragrance, with its fresh lime and bergamot opening leading to a lightly warmed middle and base. Its longevity is predictably poor, and it has very little to say beyond the pleasant opening.

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Reminds me of Azzaro Chrome, but with less metalic hint in it. It is quite elegant, longevity and sillage are quite good, at least on my skin. It is not loud at all, but subtly reminds you and others about its presence.

04 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2010)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Joop! Go by Joop!

This is a funny frag. Sweet and perky, not masculine at all, girls can wear this without second thoughts. Wearing it on a suit would make one look ridiculous. This scent is something young skaters would wear, but that doesn't mean the scent itself is bad. I personally would not put this on, but non the less I'll give it a thumb up just because it is perky and funny.

amandamorris1121's avatar
    amandamorris1121

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

This is one of my absolute favorite summer/beachy scents. It has a definite coconut sweetness to it, so it may not be for those of you who are not a fan of coconut. It is light but not fleeting, and seems to warm on the skin into a gorgeous floral/coconut suntan oil scent. It's perfect in the summer, but also great in the dead of winter to remind you of great times spent in the warm sunshine. I can't recommend this one enough!

misscasey's avatar
    misscasey

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I rather liked this straight from the vial- the opening too- and then the drydown became an old bowl of cereal on me, bad milk and all.
    I've always been annoyed when reviewers mention bad milk- like "really, come on now." But this smells just like a soggy bowl of Cheerios.
    With weak potpourri and a hint of BO.

PS It's probably just me, so please don't let me deter any fans or potential fans. Give it a try for sure.
    But I agree with Galamb_Borong that it smells like cheese.

misscasey's avatar
    misscasey

Fig & Vetiver by Anthousa

Smooth, sweet, and very beautiful! Also smells natural IMHO, like mellow fruits and coconut. The creaminess makes it special and not too sharp.
    One word of caution: I believe this contains natural fragrance oils. Key word oils. When I sprayed on my wrist it made my skin shine (the EDP spray).
    It was later absorbed and ceased to glimmer, but I would suggest not to spray this on clothes as the oils could stain.

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Try as I might, I can't enjoy this one. I don't think most "cold" fragrances, like this and Apres L'IOndee, work very well on my skin. The top notes here remind me of hospitals -- a musty sweetness that somehow manages to be both antiseptic and unclean. There's a urinous notes, mixed with powder, that sets my teeth on edge. As the heart opens up after the first couple of hours, the powder seems to soften and spread out, and now I get the velvety and "praline" notes that so many people are fond of. The vanilla at the bottom is good stuff, as with all these classic Guerlain's. But the opening is truly ghastly for me and lasts a long time. I'll keep the sample around and test it every so often, but so far this simply isn't for me.

04 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2009)

JDE's avatar
    JDE

West Indian Limes by Truefitt & Hill

Lime sweets in the opening, with a little sherbert fizz going on. Very nice and fluid and very refreshing. I get about 10 minutes of this candy cane lime and enjoy every one of them. Unlike other reviewers, I get virtually no other citrus at first except the sugary and moist lime note and it stays that way until I get some neroli come in. It's only then that I can detect other citric notes - I have an uneducated nose at best and i'm not really used to citrus-y colognes anyway, though.
    Some nice Neroli in the heart, and a lovely orangey limey petitgrain blends very well with it. Warm, but still very refreshing. This is very pleasant for a couple of hours on my skin, then evaporates into a skin scent with a tiny smidge of cloves and neroli.

Personally, I prefer this to Trumper's Lime, which only gives me an hour or so of pleasure but is more of an example in what Limes actually smell like, as opposed to lime candy with flowery orange and to Taylor of Old Bond Street's Lime cologne which is the most serious straight Lime cologne i've tried and has a strange cleaning chemical aroma to it.

If they found a way to double the longevity of this, it would be nicer but it does project quite well. Since this is such a refreshing pick-me-up frag, it probably does it favours to not last into the afternoon, though. T&H bottles are very nicely designed in my opinion, but they tend to have quite poor atomisers. Overall, if you like cheerful limes and you have a sweet tooth, it's a nice option for summer.

JDE's avatar
    JDE

Clubman by Truefitt & Hill

If this is from 1880, i'm a monkey's uncle... Very modern, very light and fresh in a powdery oceanic way and on the whole it's very wearable for a younger demographic.
    I'm not normally a fan of mint, but I like the opening to this. It's clean and refreshing, but it seems a little... "cloudy." It's very hard to explain, but with fresh scents like this, I like to imagine being able to "look through" them. I love a cologne with clarity - I imagine a pool of water in my mind (probably the leafy notes and the alcoholic hit I feel that most of them have). Clubman is plasticy powdery from the very opening and I feel this makes the naturally clear nature of a good "refreshing" fragrance slightly obscured. I also feel it makes it quite feminine. Probably too feminine for my tastes, especially when coupled with the (otherwise very nice) floral heart.
    I think this is why I prefer T&H's Freshman to Clubman - the powder sticks around in this for too long and instead of a watery floral wood, which i'd like, I get a powdery floral with some very vague and muted wood.

Slightly disappointing, but still a comfortable and well made frag. I just do not care for it's blending or choice of florals and the everlasting sweet powder. Longevity was very good on me, despite the lightness - over 8 hours. It's doesn't project amazingly, but you would certainly smell like a smartly groomed guy, which I suppose is the point! Decent, but not earth shattering.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

It was 2001. I was in the commercial purchasing unit of an international airline, and one of the job perks was we get to decide which fragrances to list for sale on our flights. This was one of the few I remember best, not only for its impressive packaging but also for having 'modern sophistication' written all over it. In texture it feels rather Mediterranean with crisp citrusy notes gliding smoothly over dry tobacco-laced woods. Think of driven, sharply dressed men at the cusp of their prime and you got yourself DOLCE & GABBANA POUR HOMME. Copycats be damned.

04 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 September, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Unforgivable by Sean John

After the series of disappointment I had with celebrity frags, I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I first sampled Sean John's Unforgivable. Starts off with a citrus burst very much like an Armani classic but settles down to a rather intriguing woody base. A ladies' favorite for some time, this scent is a safe bet for the fuss-free-loving, grab and go guy.

SoGent's avatar
    SoGent

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

Tested this one today at Saks + had to take a sample home for the skin test. It is one of the few Bond's that I like very much. On my skin, the top was a relatively soft mandarin / bergamot. However, it seemed to bypass the middle notes entirely and dove right down to a VERY bright amber, lightly sweetened by vanilla with very little patchouli.

The 'brightness' of the amber is what caught my eye - so to speak - because I enjoy ambers (particularly ambergris) quite a lot. By using the term 'bright' I am trying to convey the character that it isn't sullied by too much vanilla or any of this or that. Just clear - ringing amber .... very pleasing. If I didn't already have six variations on amber I would likely buy this one. If you're 'into' amber, I suggest giving it a try.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Wow. It's strong.

When I first smelled this I had to buy a new nose off eBay because the other one had been burned off by the intense smell. After successfully receiving and attaching said new nose I tried again... carefully...

First things first. I don't care what anyone says; the colour and the bottle are camper than an army barracks in a field. But that shouldn't stop anyone from trying it. Joop! Homme was one of my first fragrances I tried and instantly recognised the smell from when I went out on the town. After getting over the initial "oh no I'm going to smell like a teenage boy out on the pull" I sprayed ONCE on my wrist. Boy it is strong. The top notes are potent with a real fruity smell (i think) that lasts for a good 40 minutes or so. Used sparingly though I don't think it is that sickly at all. In fact I believe it settles quite well to an oriental fruity sweetness. At this point I would say if you don't like sweet frags then don't get Joop! Homme.

Moving onto the dry down, for me the smell changes completely to a mysterious blend of woods, spices and sweet fruit which stays throughout the life of the smell. However, I find it develops into a far more sophisticated smell as the hours pass by. I know people will disagree but hey.

Couple of things I've personally found out - it's not really a day time smell unless it's quite cold. I didn't believe this whole "summer / winter" smells thing at first but as I started to wear more frags etc I found out that Joop! Homme is best left for the colder months! It's a very warm smell, I tend to wear it in the evenings and I can trust it will last throughout the night. I do still smell it in the morning!

One last thing, for the love of all things good on this earth please do not bath in the stuff! 1 spray is honestly enough for me. I swear that the single cause of poverty in the world today is because people spray too much Joop! on themselves. Don't ask me how I got to that conclusion - lets just agree to disagree and move on!

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

Hmmm, I tried this one from my housemate. He says he didn't like it. Ironically I actually let him try my L'eau Dissey Pour Homme Intense as a "swap" and he loves that fragrance! But that is for another day...

Ok I'll be honest I'm not sure on this one. Topnotes are quite good but I have a real problem with longevity with this one. I'm not a big fan of the drydown either - the spiciness is ok but not that exciting, or indeed extreme. I think it's one of those that I would wear if someone bought it but probably never buy it myself. I think it's a well made fragrance and is great for daytime wear. Def not going to offend anyone... well not unless you throw the bottle at your boss or something. That would be quite extreme actually. Imagine if your boss was called Paul Smith too!

I digress... neutral rating for this one. Nice but not really for me.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

The more and more I smell this fragrance the more I like it. Admittedly when i first smelled / wore it I didn't like it at all. It was like having coffee and chocolate shoved into my nose. However I have really grown to like it. Yes it is a little synthetic but I actually think that's part of the point to this frag. It's a fairly honest fragrance - you either like it or you don't! A bit like marmite (UK people will understand that more I think). If used carefully, and I mean carefully (!) then it makes an adventurous daytime wear. But I think it's more intended for the evening - a bold yet relaxed evening out. Personally not something I'd use for clubbing (although of course it can be!) but it's certainly strong enough to be carried. I like to use it for special, yet somewhat casual evenings.

It's worth a try. I think it depends on your taste and whether it agrees with your skin! But definitely worth a try. Incidentally I'd be very interested to try out Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

What a smell. WHAT a smell.

It's like driving an Austin Martin DB7. It's like what you want your wedding night to be like and more. It's like eating your favourite food with your favourite person at your favourite place with your favourite drink. It's like being immune to swine flu. It's like winning the lottery, investing it and then getting 10 times your money back and then going onto Dragon's Den just to boast at how much richer you are compared to them. It's like England winning the World Cup and then the Euro's just for fun.

And about the smell... it's just awesome. Do you get the hint I may like it? :-D Ok I'm not totally stupid - I realise it's not to everyones taste. But I just love this stuff. It's fresh and yet complicated / mysterious. But for me not too rich or ironically, intense. It just sits so well like a companion. It's fairly strong but used carefully it is a great reward for those lucky enough to get close to you. It's perfect for daytime wear but also fantastic for evening wear.

It lasts for a good while, it develops real character as the smell wears on. Yes it is fresh but there is a beautiful darkness to it with a warmth that is carried through by the bergamot.

I just love it. What a smell. WHAT a smell.

Aerandir4's avatar
    Aerandir4

17/17 Homme by Xerjoff

The mother of all formal leather scents! It's a black tie leather scent painted on a debonair wood canister, beautiful. I definitely would consider buying this even for the price.

04 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2011)

Royal Delight by Creed

Sweet syrup? It's time for a revolution.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Oh no!
    Another posted review lost in cyberspace
    It's becoming tedious . . .
    So let me confine my comments to:
    It rocks!
    Buy it.

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

Hey! I forgot I used to own this. You know, for the money it's better than Ferrari Black.
    If it's a clone of The 3rd Man, it's more wearable.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I'm afraid I have to turn in a verdict of a tropical yawn.
    There are far better Creeds along the aquatic theme.

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

A Quiet Morning by Miller et Bertaux

A Quiet Morning by Miller Bertaux is a very gentle and dry incense spice scent that you might find wafting from deep inside a hidden cave full of the fine exotic spices. The opening is predominantly saffron and tumeric layered over a mentholated cedar wood base. Orange flower warmed by a bit of sandalwood gives a little life and sunshine to mid notes of this very dry Indian spice scent. I find it a very comforting scent and easy to wear and is definitely a compliment magnet. This light orange spice and woods scent resembles Baume au Doge by Eau d' Italie which is stronger in its spice notes; and also is close in feel to Bois du Turquie from MPG which has more emphasis on the sandalwood base. A Quiet Morning is a very soft subtle blend of saffron, tumeric and cedar over a sandalwood and orange blossom base. It is a very easy fragrance to enjoy.

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

Vintage Naturals 2009 Patchouli by Demeter Fragrance Library

What a great light and natural patchouli. This is what Hindu Grass might have been! Demeter's Vintage Natural Patchouli fulfills the promise of natural patchouli oil that includes the opening of orange and nutmeg with the green grass of its early years. The opening notes have orange oil with a warm grassy scent. Almost smells a bit like a tart citrus natural warm grass scent. Shadowing this orange/lime grassy scent is a very light natural patchouli oil fragrance. The citrus grassy smell continues but is slowly overtaken by the pure patchouli. This is not a strong scent but it is definitely a fine light patchouli centered fragrance.

05 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2009)

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Spice, florals, and woody oriental notes; this hits all the major fragrance groups popular in contemporary unisex fragrances. A bit powdery in the heart and consistently spicy almost throughout, its woody oriental character doesn't fully emerge for a while. It never really loses that pervasive spicy edge. The first time I tried it, I didn't much care for it, but it came to grow on me with successive trials. I suspect for many it may be an acquired taste, with its slightly metallic edge and sharp coriander-cardamom persistence. The dry down can be a bit screechy if overapplied, so beware. On the whole, substantially satisfying for a sufficiently acclimatized nose.

loungeboy's avatar
    loungeboy

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Cutting to the chase: it is a masterpiece.
    Not quite the beast urban legend has cut it out to be. M7 is warm, wonderful and wearable.
    It is all there: the cherry cough syrup, the smokey oud, the "mentholated" resonance in the middle, the intoxicating dry down. It is simply a fragrance I would never want to be without.
    Now if only it were more readily available!

loungeboy's avatar
    loungeboy

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm quite a late comer to the Rive Gauche party. The notes never sounded very appealing to me. But I have been on a “barbershop” kick lately and time and time again my search led me to Rive Gauche. Finding it heavily discounted, I could resist it no longer.
    What do you know? It is exactly what I have been searching for.
    It is an amazing scent that really does carry that barbershop vibe like no other modern scent that I have experienced.
    There is not much I can add to the many, many reviews that have come before but I just wanted to throw my support behind this wonder of modern men’s perfumery.
    I also have to reference Indieguy’s review because like him, I too have been bit because of Rive Gauche. It was the first day I wore it. It was at the end of a long work day so the frag had been on for about 11 hours and was still doing its thing. My SO came over to me and said that he didn’t know what I was wearing but it smelled incredible and he pretty much attacked me. No other fragrance I have ever worn has elicited that response from anyone.
    I immediately went online and ordered 2 more bottles. LOL. I also started boxing up some of the bottles cluttering my dressing area. I have a feeling Rive Gauche will be my signature for quite a while to come.

shollylolly's avatar
    shollylolly
    Nigeria Nigeria

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

its too too light.i hate spin-offs....lol.i think i will stick with the original

bokaba's avatar
    bokaba

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I decided to try GIT after all the hype associated with it. It is certainly a worthy fragrance that is light years better than its cheaper contender Cool Water. Cool Water and GIT are certainly similar in their openings; however, the similarity stops there. Even from first whiff, Green Irish Tweed smells more sophisticated and more mature. Then after about twenty minutes, GIT begins to shine with Ambergris and violet leaves deepening into a spicy fougere. If you can afford a bottle (or not) I highly recommend this fragrance.