Fragrance Reviews from August 2009

Jhutton's avatar

Caesars Man by Caesars World

Get this: I bought this because I thought Drakkar was too expensive. Seriously. Hey, certain times call for different priorities.

It doesn't smell cheap to me. Maybe it's because I remember seeing this bottle in my parents' bathroom in like 1990 when I was a kid, and I have some nostalgic bias going.

Whatever the case, the opening was quite like someone else here described it--medicinal herbs. Now, I tend to like that kind of thing. It's fresh, maybe a tad astringent, and soapy. The astringency might evoke bug spray comparisons, I admit. But overall, I think this is pretty solid. It's like the way a man's side of the bathroom cabinet smells. It's like all the great barbershop scents but without the grandpa, and with a sharp kick to it. There's probably a Gillette deodorant stick that smells quite like this.

When I think the word "cologne," this is the generic kind of scent I'm thinking of. Not terribly exciting, but it's a good workhorse.

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Unlike Bulgari Aqua's 'dirtier' deep sea marine scent, Subtil is light, almost sublime, I guess very much in the vein of Leau d'Issey. It was in fact the first fresh aquatic that could 'teleport' me to the ocean; with it I could feel the cool sea sprays on my face and breathe in the salty air as I sped through the water on a speedboat. Low on sillage and longevity, it ran out after 3 months, leaving a gap in my wardrobe which I have yet to fill.

05 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

My first whiff of it was pleasurable: light powdery vanilla with more than a tinge of pepper. The more wearings I had, the more I grew to love it. Sillage is strong and longevity is amazing. As long as you don't apply too much, I think it smells rich and decidedly classy; I often feel obliged to put on my best looking outfit whenever I wish to wear Arpege pour Homme. Some of you might wonder if it truly deserves to share the same name as Lanvin's 1927 classic but I say 'Give it a try'. Unless you happen to hate sweet scents, you'll find it bears the Arpege heritage rather well.

05 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I heard a lot of compliments about this frag. So I gave it a try. Not once, but on 4 separate occasions under different conditions. I tried it on the blotter paper. I tried it on my skin. Under cool air-conditioned office environment. And in the warm tropical outdoors. The only conclusion I came to was: what was all that fuss about? If inoffensive, mass market appeal (i.e. sales) the objectives D&G was going for, it has definitely succeeded. I have to agree with Miles here, this is mediocre at best.

Blue Jeans by Versace

It was cheap so I bought it. It was boring so I sprayed it on every day. Only for work. I ducked a lot so it would miss me. Then it was gone. Thank God.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Tried it a few times on paper and wasnt too impressed, much prefered Heritage. It was OK and one to purchase if found cheaply. Then I did find it going for a song and after wearing it for a day realised it is a scent only fully appreciated when worn on skin. The changes are immense: from an eau sauvage opening it morphs to a Monsieur de Givenchy and via Gentleman it settles into a trad Jicky/Shalimar vanilla icecream with a bit of incense thrown in....Amazing! And it morphs all day

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Hmmm, used to love this one but by 90ml had to (Gucci) rush to the end of the bottle. A year later I have another 100ml in my possession and kind of appreciate it but dont know if I can wear it any longer. A case of amber overexposure. Its original, churchy and dry......very dry....and then some more.

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Good top notes, a barbershop quartet singing from the classic songbook of Sauvage, Monsieur de Givenchy and Guerlain E D C Imperiale, but unfotunately it made the Imperiale seem long lasting and had diminished to a sweet sweaty smell before you could say, "One hour".

jlb2287's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

I don't exactly know what to make of this fragrance. The top notes are quite cloying, yet they die down after a short while (15-20 minutes on me). So the top notes are not too much of an issue although they are markedly synthetic. I do enjoy the dry down as it sweetens and mellows but it too seems to disappear quickly (about 2 hours or so). Total this fragrance lasts about two and a half or three hours on me and it never even gets to the leather/tarragon base that the chart shows. Although I do enjoy the dry down, the fleeting nature of this fragrance on my skin makes this a bad investment and I'm glad I only bought the 10 dollar mini. I would say an even 5/10 for me.

PS...I really tried to like this fragrance

tin.w's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Too conservative for me. Definitely smells like a barbershop. Better suited for an older, strait-laced man I think.

LittleMissWrite's avatar

England England

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I have only tried the reformulated EdP version, but I love Bandit. My skin seems to pick out white florals in most fragrances, so with Bandit I get a beautiful combination of jasmine and leather, mixed with tuberose and patchouli. It is the perfume equivalent of wearing a pretty floral dress with a vintage leather jacket. I don't get any of the sweaty, ashtray smells that other reviewers did, just a fragrance that is beautiful and reckless.

LittleMissWrite's avatar

England England

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I have only tried the reformulated EdP but I adore it. On my skin, Fracas is a beautiful, creamy fragrance. The jasmine and tuberose are gorgeously rich, but the brightness of orange blossom just shines through, stopping the florals from being cloying. On me, Fracas is almost a comfort scent. I feel glamorous and extremely feminine when I wear it, whether it's at a party or just lazing in bed. It's a beautiful, decadent perfume.

Markx's avatar

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

This is my best Fragrance of all times and nothing can come close to it. A Fragrance that is very well made in every aspect & perfected beyond the perfection itself.

masj78's avatar

Denim by Denim

I love this fragrance. Very leathery and soapy and fresh. I had the showergel as a teenager and after it dissapered from UK shelves I moved on dissapointed. However I recently managed to track a bottle of the aftershave and showergel in a gift set on an online phramacy. It is still made in Italy by conter and also exists in many other forms. It is very cheap still and you get a lot for your money, but sadley isn't long lasting. If you want something which smells similar and more suffisticated try Aramis or Azzaro, which are more expensive but longer lasting.

janaki's avatar

Nepal Nepal

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed

Visiting France in 2005, I stopped in a perfume shop and caught this scent fitting just my mood. To me, its iconic, sophisticated, & of a past era. Just perfect when a special exotic scent fits the mood. I happen to love the jasmine & amber notes, but it is a scent for those more dramatic women with a firm perspective on life.

KingFisher's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Have you guys ever smelled a ladies perfume Deep Red by hugo boss ? that's what it smells like with a touch of Joop jump & I also detect some notes simillar to Le Male. anyways, it is not a bad one but could be used as unisex, longevity & sillage are excellent as more than two sprays would be lethal. just my two cents.

05 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Buckingham by Crown Perfumery

This is a pleasant scent, fairly old-school in style (soapy, balsamic, spicy). It opens with a very nice lemony-citrus blast and resinous notes. Pine and juniper provide a fresh, bright aspect; and cypress gives it a slightly dusky quality. There are some spices here, not very pronounced but certainly apparent. They give a masculine, barbershop feel to the scent. The oakmoss gets a bit soapy as it often does in old scents. The drydown is aromatic and balsamic, a bit substantial but not oppressive.

05 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 March, 2013)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Ruehl No. 925 by Ruehl No. 925

Very similar to Rive Gauche Pour Homme. The opening is more lavender dominant instead of the star anise/rosemary of Rive Gauche but otherwise the scent is clsoe to identical. The drydown is fantasitc. It has the dry vetiver, gaiac wood and patchouli finish - very nicely done. It is masculine with an old world feel to it. I like the scent and it is an excellent fragrance, but I would rather stick with the YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme - it's hard to improve on a classic like that.

Quel Amour! by Annick Goutal

The same nanosecond that the cap came off the sample, I could smell perfume. Quel Amour! presents itself powerfully at first – that’s probably why its name ends with an exclamation point!!!! For what it is – a fruity-floral – it is very good. It has that “fruity-floral” down quite nicely, except that it’s more “FRUITY-FLORAL!!!” than “fruity-floral.” The opening is strongly fruity with peach predominating, but the potency does not last for very long before it settles down to tolerable peach / cherry duet. Those fruit notes hold for an extraordinarily long time for an Annick Goutal fragrance, eventualy to be replaced by the lavishness of peony coupled to the sharpness of rose hip and geranium – I don’t get a floral rose note at all except for a bit of that from the geranium. No drydown but the peony lingers.

Quel Amour! has more longevity than most Annick Goutal fragrances. It’s a pleasant, well-done floral that lacks, I think, the sophistication I expect from AG fragrances. It comes across as very girly and frilly.

Destiny by Marilyn Miglin

Destiny EDP: Hmmmm… Subtle… musty… musky… Destiny is a unique and intriguing take on the white floral fragrance. It is light – it is essentially presented more as a gossamer-like texture than as a redolent bouquet. Its creator has avoided the usual, indole-laden choices that often inhabit the “white floral” territory. No tuberose, or gardenia, or even jasmine leaving their dirty eminences here and there throughout the fragrance; and the lily is kept under strict control. The resulting accord that I perceive is a clear and light narcissus backed up by a very soft, sheer (white) rose note. This is lightness, delicacy, femininity and translucence. The florals are united into a texture… smooth and rich… a bit powdery… and they stay that way in a state of blissful and graceful linearity. In testing this I realized that this is not a fragrance to be smelled close to the skin. It’s nice enough that way, but its real olfactory gift is the gentle sillage off the skin. Lovely…

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Banana Republic’s Classic: Light, citrus, somewhat green and somewhat floral. Clean, restrained citrus accords with green accents form the opening, followed by a very discreet floral texture. The drydown is more musky than woody and gets close to being powdery, which, I think, gives it a bit more of a feminine than masculine feeling, but actually Classic is quite unisex. It’s true that it’s very much in the vein of Happy and Happy for Men, but it’s softer and more transparent than the Happy’s… also less sweet and remarkably absent of synthetic effects. I enjoy this: it isn’t fussy in use and it’s uncommonly easy to wear: almost impossible to make a mistake in application. Very good value… Quite youthful… This is a beauty.

Courage by Anthony Logistics

Courage is a bright and lively citrus / herbal / coniferous body spray. “Refreshing” is the word that popped into my mind when I first sprayed it. It’s light and casual and has an acceptable lasting power for a body spray: a nice little fragrance.

Energy by Anthony Logistics

This is my favorite of the Anthony Logistics body sprays: It’s bright, lively, and even a little exotic. It opens citrus – orange – with a spiced background of cardamom and cinnamon leaf. It has a lavender shade to it and it is quite floral…floral but not flowery. The floral elements serve as a smooth, neutral texture to the citrus and spices. The dry down is a simple patchouli / musk with a sweet note. Anthony Logistics Energy is not the typical body spray in the sense of reduced sillage and impact. It is more a body spray in the sense of AXE in its strong delivery. Of course, it is a much better scent than most of the AXEs I’ve encountered

Spirit by Anthony Logistics

Odysseusm is spot on about this fragrance. Very green, fresh and not too sharp or perfumy as is sometimes the tendency of inexpensive green fragrances: The use of basil and geranium is well controlled and pleasantly accomplished. Spirit is definitely a solid fragrance that belies its “body spray” designation. Don’t expect this to be subtle… I see it more as a cologne than as a body spray. Think "AXE" ...but a good one that lasts...

Strength by Anthony Logistics

That’s right… Lots of sharp alcohol smell comes from the opening. Then there’s a lavender note plus a light conifer and sage smell and this accord has an oily feel to it as well as a genuine synthetic undertone. After the lavender lessens, the conifers rise to prominence and strongly stay in control until the light, short lasting, patchouli / amber basenotes. The oily feeling lasts for only the opening accord, but the alcohol continues as a background note through the entire fragrance. This is not a very interesting or unique fragrance – pretty ordinary, and it is stronger than I expected for a “body spray”: Antony’s Logistics’ Strength seems to have the longevity than some EDTs. I was surprised by its strength, and disappointed by its heaviness – doesn’t seem very body sprayish. About all I can say about this one is:”What’s the point?”

The Jersey Devil by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

“The scent of the wild, hauntingly beautiful Pine Barrens of New Jersey! Pitch pine with blackberry leaf, cranberry, cedar wood and tomato leaf.”

I’m not an East Coast kind of guy so I don’t know much about the Pine Barrens, although I have been to pine barrens in other states. The Jersey Devil is essentially a cranberry fragrance. The cranberry stays, in mutating form, through the whole, long run of the fragrance. The opening is cranberry and tomato leaf with the pine in the background. The cranberry note is sweet and wet – quite berryish. The tomato leaf is that sharp, almost bitter green that is typical of, well… tomato leaf. The effect is herbal berries. The pine rather stays in the background while the tomato leaf gradually dwindles and the cranberry loses a bit of the wet feel as well as some of the sweetness. By the middle accord the berry is dry, the tomato leaf is present but recessive, the pine is almost gone and a cedar note is strongly rising to prominence. The cedar becomes very strong on my skin and holds through the long drydown, while the berry note fades away.

I like this fragrance – it tells a real story and a story always provides more meaning… I don’t think I’d wear it much, although I do like the berry and the cedar drydown. I could have done without the tomato leaf. Tomato leaf works for me but only as a background note: If it is too dominant, too long as in The Jersey devil, the experience is lessened.

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

Saks Fifth Avenue is a white floral composed primarily of jasmine, tuberose, and gardenia… It’s THE traditional, THE classic white floral structure. It’s not quite as heady as Fracas and on my skin it seems comparatively restrained. Although this is not really a tuberose bomb, it does manage a lot of sillage and longevity. It is a bit tropical, very well constructed, and beautifully refined. As forceful as it is, I believe it’s very wearable... actually more wearable than the other white floral icons. In my opinion it doesn’t have the panache of Fracas or Carnal Flowers, but it’s a beautiful and elegant white floral.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Most of my impressions of Bulgari’s Aqua Pour Homme Marine have been said already by other reviewers. Marine is pretty much a generic scent, somewhat similar to a lot of aquatics out there, therefore not having very much in it to make it unique. It’s uh… pleasant and ehhh … boring; I would probably think much better of it if I didn’t own the original Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme, which I love. In comparison, Aqua PH Marine is simply not a worthy sibling to the original. I enjoy the opening of Marine with the obvious grapefruit note, but when it develops its aquatic signature, it loses all that could be interesting to me. Its aquatic note and its whole ambiance is clear and precise but it is so ho-hum. Its somewhat woody drydown makes it long lasting for an aquatic, but with the base I lose almost all sense of the marine environment that should serve as a motif; instead I get just a diluted wood base. Its sillage is weak and it has quite good longevity. My mini will be the last of my purchases of this.

Adidas Victory League 2006 by Adidas

I don’t care for the opening accord – it seems cheap and synthetic to me. This bergamot and basil kind of opening has to be made with halfway decent quality ingredients and it has to be better balanced if it is to succeed. This one doesn’t work. The lavender that shows its synthetic self in the opening is the version of lavender that is found in several of the cheaper fragrances - but I have seen it work well with the proper care. I don’t get any pear or cinnamon, probably because those notes are overwhelmed by the poor bergamot, basil, and lavender accord. The base is totally uninspired: It’s an inferior cedar note mixed disproportionately with some uninspiring musk and vanilla notes. The total fragrance has a synthetic tang to it and, though very inexpensive, is not worth the price. I enjoy many of the multitude of Adidas fragrances: But not Victory League 2006. Good sillage and longevity, unfortunately.

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

The opening is very pretty and pleasantly unique. It is a smooth, cinnamon-spicy accord that is a bit resinous, and a bit floral. The pyramid says myrrh and I think I can feel it in the background, and, as so often happens, I don’t smell very much of the pepper that is supposed to be in the accord. The heart notes continue the quiet myrrh note and introduce the immortal flower and a grounding woodnote that stays quite reticent. If there’s any tuberose, it is either too well blended into the matrix or I’m not getting it at all. The middle is soft, neutral, and somewhat synthetic... but it is pleasant in an understated way. I can’t really grasp the middle accord as anything more than a smooth texture because nothing in it seems to stand out to me, except maybe its lack of longevity. The base offers very little more than the top two levels: soft woodnotes with a light, caramel / gourmand sweetness... again, a nice accord but too understated. To me the base comes across as excessively weak and if I sniff close to the skin, it seems to have a noticeable synthetic tinge to it. The movement and the direction of the fragrance’s performance on my skin seem goalless and vague.

When I first tried Ambre Gris, about all I could get was a very sweet / cinnamon spicy fragrance in the opening. Besides “sweet” it was generically synthetic. The opening has since stabilized to my nose to an excellently smooth cinnamon / myrrh accord that doesn’t last nearly long enough. The rest of the fragrance still lets me down: On my skin it comes across as pleasantly gourmand but much too weak. I’m pretty sure that I am unintentionally over-reading the synthetic tones, and missing several other notes that are meant to be. On paper or on clothing Ambre Gris performs much better than it performs on my skin: I get a broader spectrum of notes with a stronger presence of the accords, the movement of the fragrance seems more directed, and it lasts much longer. I guess this is another one of those skin variance things. At any rate, I’m voting a neutral, and I’ll be using it as a clothing fragrance.