Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Wild Country Musk by Avon

This is an obnoxious musk. Fresh, clean and open but I don't seem to like this. I like a sweet musk. This is definitely closer to "real" musk.

Undeniable for Men by Avon

Warm and spicy. The spices in this are more on the gourmand side. I detect cloves for one. Sweet cloves and ginger and a little bit of woods. Maybe some cinnamon. Woodsy and ambery base. I'd have to say this is fairly interesting for an Avon fragrance.

Unscripted by Patrick Dempsey

Wow. A mix of several good designer colognes. Most notably Fahrenheit and Marc Jacobs. Figgy, leathery, spicy, woodsy. The patchouli in this really makes this different than other Avon related releases. It's almot like B*Men, toned down but the other accords really make it different than B*Men. Very nice and smooth and recommended fot cool weather wear or the club.

Stetson Fresh by Stetson

Run of the mill "fresh" for sure. Reminds me of a slightly spicier ck One. In fact, this could be called ck One Fresh and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Stetson or Calvin Klein brands.

RPM Intense by Avon

Oh interesting. This is almost, and I really mean almost was Chrome amped up when I first smelled it. I wish it were. It ends up being a watery fresh sporty woods that's clean with a touch of lavender. After all that, it's not very pleasant with cleaning product like accords. Might work good on clothing, though.

HisStory by Avon

Starts off powdery fresh and clean. A litte spicy (peppery, not herbal) and sweet. A tobacco leaf and amber note much like in Antonio Banderas for Men is in the base. Not bad but could be a little harsh to some.

Asha's avatar

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

O de Lancome

Notes: lemon, mandarin, jasmine, honeysuckle, sandalwood, wild rosemary (from lancome-usa.com)

O de Lancome is immediately refreshing, with a burst of lemon, lime, bergamot, and green notes which have grassy, slightly bitter overtones. The citrus phase of OdL is mercilessly short, and on skin, plays itself out within 20 minutes. During this time, oakmoss, galbanum and orris come to the front, giving a more earthy feel to the composition. The moss and orris are a bit grungy at first, and along with the galbanum, are probably are the main contributors to the bitterness detected earlier. In the heart, there are some faint florals, and to my nose smells a bit like dried rose petals mixed into orris root powder. The late development is dominated by the moss and orris which give a bit of a leathery impression. The deep drydown is mostly a slightly sweet amber musk. OdL is classically beautiful citrus-green chypre which is very light, but wonderfully orchestrated. The bright citrus start is not so long as to be irritating, and is perfect for a quick lift. The mellow heart and base are a soothing counterpoint to the citrus "punch", and brings the pitch down gently into a cloud of diaphanous green powder. Lovely.

Asha's avatar

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

Miller Harris Tangerine Vert

Notes: sicilian green tangerines, grapefruit, lemon, marjoram, geranium, orange, cedar, moss, sweet musk (from millerharris.com)

Tangerine Vert starts with orange, tangerine, a mellow herbal accord, and soapy notes over a soft, sweet, but slightly leathery masculine musk. The structure of this fragrance is very much in keeping with traditional Eau de Colognes, except that TV is actually an EDP. As such, the top citrus notes are orchestrated to last a relatively long time. The scent is probably bolstered by synthetic citrus compounds, although the effect is a strikingly real tangerine fruit--juicy, sweet, acidic and vaguely bitter. TV is not a complicated or challenging fragrance. Despite its bright citrus quality, TV is actually quite calming, especially on days that are a bit hectic or anxiety-ridden. There is something about citrus that immediately catches one's attention, taking the focus off of nervous tension and putting the mind into the moment. TV successfully evokes "Tangerine" while being refined enough to wear as a personal fragrance. It is a great all-around, all occasion, warm weather scent, suitable for men or women.

Bigsly's avatar

7 Sinful Scents: Excess by Gendarme

I'm going to compare this to A*Men, Borneo 1834, Amour de Cacao, and Prada's first ("women's"). Excess is more "fleshed out" than Borneo. It's more of a fragrance, whereas Borneo is more of a smell. It's better balanced that Prada (I'm mentioning Prada because of the vanilla and patchouli, though it doesn't have a strong chocolate note, if any), which has very strong patchouli. It's not as sweet as A*Men, nor does it have the irritating tar note. It is more dynamic and challenging than Amour de Cacao, which is the most sedate of this bunch. In short, Excess is right in the "sweet spot," being just challenging enough while still being balanced, natural, and dynamic. And it's technically sound (sillage and longevity are at least very good). So, if you know what you are looking for (and I certainly hope that I do at this point, especially when it comes to gourmands), perhaps this mini review will provide you with a general idea about which one of these might be best suited to your tastes.

06th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

Redbeard's avatar

America for Men by Perry Ellis

Another "free sample frag" that came with an order. I kind of felt it was like a spicier Cool Water (again, the silly theory they might have of covering all the scent categories in one blend). It's rather strong, harsh and chemically, with a more leathery drydown than Cool Water, but it's the nasty fake Ass-leather note that I get from cheaper aquatics and fruity scents. Sometimes a particular whiff will be repulsive enough that I really marvel at how bad it is. I won't say that I was surprised though.

Redbeard's avatar

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

This stuff doesn't last at all. It's even short-lived for a "classical" eau de cologne, though it's not as dilute to start with as 4711 is. Plus it smells like sprite or 7-up to me at first, and then turns into weird musty florals, geranium or something, and makes me envision a flowering garden shrub that's dead and just starting to rot. I'm sure it's not bad for 1780-whatever, but I've tried too many interesting EdCs, and EdC-esque EdTs, to really use this regularly. As is so often the case with real EdCs, the first few minutes are lively and exhilarating enough that I just had to keep it around, though its contemporary 4711 seems less rough around the edges. I prefer Monsieur de Givenchy on the sweeter side, and Burberry Weekend on the drier side.

vintage*red's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

A sticky, sweet affair...In theory, I should like this, but I cannot discern any of the notes because I am overwhelmed by the sugary caramel (?). I cannot understand why perfumers think that the majority of their customers are under 18yrs old and that they want to smell like cheap candy. This Dior creation is not terrible, but it is pedestrian. It is no Diorella. Having said that, I bet it sells even though the idea has been overdone for some time. For me, Lolita Lempicka is the best of this new breed, but I must admit that I am growing tired of her. My first and last bottle will be around for a long time.

xistrot's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A Scent by Issey Miyake

A soapy, green, clean scent, which is interesting only because it did not severely disappoint me (having had such low expectations on account of Miyake's L'Eau and its assorted flankers)

Ronin's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This is lovely stuff. A spicy and sweet fragrance that can be worn in all types of weather. I found this one to blossom when there's lots of body heat. Just when I thought it was gone hours later after spraying I started to work out a bit and I started smelling this out of nowhere and just knew I had to buy myself a bottle.

varvara's avatar

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

interesting..offbeat. smokey, sweet apricots.
    there's something else that's green/vegetable/overripe too.
    not my favorite, but my tastes in perfume are more evolved than lancome.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Imagine a rugby-fresh public schoolboy in a rubber gimp mask and waders. Or Diana Dors languishing on the leather upholstery of an exhaust-chuffing E-Type Jag with a cup of tea and a fag…

Somehow this manages to be big, blonde, sweet and buxom yet cruelly, elegantly, smokily svelte at the same time. It’s a vanilla ice cream at Brands Hatch; a cut-throat razor being sharpened on an old, dry barber’s strap. It’s wonderful.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

As a fey teenage boy in the early 80s, spritzing Drakkar Noir or Kouros with gay abandon, the notion of having to market a men’s fragrance as “savage water” seemed somehow archaic and faintly ludicrous to me. Eau Sauvage was worn by elder brothers, uncles, friends’ fathers; those with less of an interest in Soft Cell 12 inches and the cheap cosmetics counter at Woolworth’s. It was something from another age when men had to be overly assured of their masculinity before they dared do something as dubious as wear a fragrance. As a futurist, I eschewed it.

I first came across a bottle that I could actually try for myself when I moved into a friend’s London flat in the early 90s. This was the Summer pied-a-terre of a rich West Indian family, a place now used less frequently as old Mr Barnard had passed away. The bottle remained at the back of a bathroom cabinet and when I dared to retrieve it and take a spray, it really felt like reaching into the past. I suppose it was imbued with what I knew of its 60s heritage, the grandeur of the wonderful residence I was using and the stories of old Mr Barnard, sitting it the St Lucian sunshine, sipping single malt whisky rather than cheap rum, attended by maids and nurses whilst commanding his empire of hotels, distilleries and banana plantations.

At the time, I was unable to identify anything beyond the initial blast of rich lemon that faded into something poised, confident and, well, expensive smelling.

Now, thanks to a prize draw from the completely lovely Katie Puckrick’s fragrance blog (http://www.katiepuckriksmells.com), I have my own bottle. Now, I can appreciate how the ghost of the lemon opening remains and hovers at the edges of a wonderfully balanced herbal, mossy, lightly floral combination. I can see how well it would have worked for Mr Barnard, out in the tropical sunshine, first cooling and refreshing and then underlining his position at the head of a dynasty.

I still find the idea of “savage water” quite amusing, but now I understand how this thing works. It’s classically clever, handsomely confident and it really does provide the assurance of a fine life conducted with good taste. It’s a fragrance to aspire to.

Dirty by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

This is supposed to evoke the smell of a sexy, unwashed man. It doesn’t. It’s a cheap copy of Comme des Garcons’ Shiso with some toothpaste thrown in. Shame.

Dear John by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful’s perfumer, Mark Constantine, clearly likes to spend some time hanging around the Comme des Garcons counter. This smells like a confusion of what CdG does really well – warm, deep, hearty spices and bright, zesty synthetics.

It’s supposed to be coffee and lime, apparently. But that comes off as a rich, sweet clove accord with an enthusiastic, effervescent top note. It’s clearly synthetic, like a cinnamon sherbert latte in a plastic cup that’s been put through a Soda Stream. But that’s what makes it very good indeed.

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

According to an article from wikipedia, geranium oil is being distilled from a species of the pelargonium plant, and the scent can resemble different others, but rose should be the most widely used type. And so is Geranium pour Monsieur

The opening comes with a rose and mint note. The mint note is very dominant and definately not what you should expect from a floral perfume. I think, minty notes have their right to exist in perfumery, but the combination with rose is quite strange.

After half an hour the mint notes fades away, and the geranium or rose note comes out stronger. This is when the perfume becomes likeable. The rose/geranium note resembles the rose in perfumes like Touaregh (Il Profumo), Rose for Men (NeilMorris) or Black Tie (Washington Tremlett). It is not as peppery as the first, not as mellow as the second and not as dark as the latter. I have to admit it seems to be well balanced, does not go to any extremes and really stays in the middle.

One pro, one con makes a neutral rating.

JoNnY 4's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Solo Loewe by Loewe

Solo Loewe is fresh, warm, citrusy and best of all its smells damm good. This is one of my best buys and if not for the higher than usual price i would be wearing this more often. I've worn this for many occasions and it never seems out of place. At first I was disappointed with the lack of longevity but after a few wearings i realised that my perceived lack of longevity was due to the very intense top notes and rather subdued dry down. Solo Loewe actually has good longevity and the sillage for the first 2-3 hours is quite impressive too. Great effort from the house of Loewe.

JoNnY 4's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Dior Homme Sport is a very ginger dominated fragrance from start to finish. I can only detect ginger primarily and a little grapefruit in the top notes. Once it calms down a bit the sandalwood and vetiver do stand out a bit more but it's quite clear that ginger has top billing in Dior Homme Sport. It is important to note that Dior Homme Sport has no similarities with the superb Dior Homme. It would have been a better idea to give this fragrance a different name but from a marketing point of view Dior Homme Sport would have been perfect. Longevity wise i get a good 6 hours tops before Dior Homme Sport becomes almost too close too skin to detect. Sillage is good for the first 2 hours and gradually gets closer to skin. Good for hot weather because it stays quite fresh throughout primarily due to the prominent ginger note. Dior did well in not including a aquatic note in the frag and thank goodness for that. A rather average effort from Dior and in no way the worst.

shamu1's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Could a fragrance be even more of a powerhouse than Quorum? I doubt it. This machoman fragrance is almost hilariously masculine. The first thing you will think of when you smell Quorum is how ridiculously manly it smells. It has boatloads of leather, patchouli, cumin and oakmoss, which combine to create this sweaty, beastly monster of a fragrance that has no time for bullshit and takes no prisoners – it eats them. Its sillage is frightening, so careful application is key. Scents like Quorum are what inspired the creation of “fragrance-free zones”. That’s one of the reasons I love it.

The other reason I love Quorum is because it smells totally natural, like its made of the highest quality materials. It’s a dark, rugged scent, but it also has a certain natural beauty to it. On the other hand, Quorum is about as refined as Charles Bronson sticking a .44 magnum in your mouth.

Weepy, overly sensitive guys need not apply.

MY RATING: 9/10

06th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 04th June, 2010)

pinkfizzy's avatar

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

I received a nice large sample of this and another Hermessence from a very nice SA fellow at the Hermes boutique, who didn't mind me and two other BaseNoters smelling every single fragrance in the store with no intention of buying. It was my favorite one, but upon trying it on my skin, five minutes later I smelled... absolutely nothing. I splashed on a bunch more, and five minutes later, more nothing. Clearly this is designed the so-called "Asian market", i.e. people who don't want anyone on their crowded Tokyo commute to be bothered by their odor. Or it's just that darn JC Ellena. Give me Dominique Ropion any day.

I love the smell, but dang it, Ellena, the point of fragrance its that it is fragrant. This seems to be for people who enjoy buying and wearing things from Hermes but don't want to smell of anything. I prefer The Different Company's Osmanthus (also by JCE), which is quite similar and lasts longer, i.e. more than five minutes. And it's absolutely gorgeous, as this one would be if I could just remember whether I applied it or not.

Esanena's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

Very pretty, perhaps a tad too sweet. I like the musky soft sweet drydown, its pleasant and not cloying, it almost reminds me of milk and honey.

Esanena's avatar

Un Matin d'Orage Eau de Toilette by Annick Goutal

I want to like it, initially it smells crisp but the drydown leaves me with nothing but a sharp laundry detergent scent.

aktp-iciook's avatar

CK Free by Calvin Klein

Hi there :)

I tried this at Boots today. Its aquatic scent stands out giving you a clean and refreshing feeling. I have to admit that I am kindof like it but cannot say it is really outstanding though.

That's why I give a "neutral" score on this.

Cheers,

TropiRock's avatar

Canoé by Dana

I am giving Canoe a "thumbs up" rating because it smells nice enough, lasts a long time, and is truly one of those icon fragrances that has stood the test of time. "Powdery", as others have said, is a good, short explanation of the Canoe smell. I haven't used it for quite a few years, but still remember it fondly. And at just a few dollars, it's an excellent buy and readily available. Would I purchase it again for myself? The honest answer is "no", but not because I dislike it. I've just moved on to other colognes.

knit at nite's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Love at first sniff and still respect it the next day. First sprays redolent of Lapsang souchong tea with milk, or maybe Thai iced tea. Then like a cup of tea it cooled down too quickly. Remained a very gentle, comforting, pleasant reminder smell for a few hours.

Lexie's avatar

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I really, really wanted to love this (I even almost purchased it blindly) but when I finally sampled it... my hopes were dashed. The top notes are incredible, strong and lovely jasmine indeed. It reminds me of the times I'd bury my nose in the jasmine flowers that grew next to my hotel in Greece. But the fragrance quickly turns wrong on my skin. It still resembles a jasmine scent, but unpleasantly soapy and old. I give this a neutral rating because 1. I had such high hopes and I am sure I will continue trying with this fragrance and 2. the top notes are stunning.