Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

vegas9798's avatar

Aramis Ice by Aramis

I tried Aramis Ice several years ago when it first came out and was swamped with compliments about how great it smelled ! When the 3.4 oz. bottle ran out I tried to find more only to be told that it was no longer in prodution ! After about 3 years I decided to try again just in case and was lucky enough to find it after an exhaustive search. Well now I am getting low again and can't seem to find it anywhere,is there any way I could contact the manufacturer and voice my opinion regarding their decision to discontinue this awesome scent ? Thank you

06th September, 2009

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Pi by Givenchy

Sweet, good longevity. Definitley a cold weather scent. A bit synthetic, but girls tend to compliment this one a lot. From time to time this scent strikes a bit feminine, none the less not a mistake to have it.

Update: a very sugary concotion and I can't imagine wearing it unless it's very crisp and cold outside, with snow even better. This scent reminds me of snowy evening when everything is so calm. Remarkable scent that has a lot of haters, but also a lot of lovers. If A*men is chocolate/coffee god, no mistake that it's counterpart is Givechy Pi - benzoin-vanilla/sugary god.

Givenchy Pi doesn't change much from initial spraying till its end, at least that's the case with me. Longevity and projection are outstanding. When it comes to attire while wearing this scent, it shouldn't be too casual.

06th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 28th January, 2012)

angelica's avatar

Champaca by Ormonde Jayne

This is what a gourmand should be - an elegant floral with a hint of something edible, in this case Kheer.

06th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 26th September, 2012)

JaimeB's avatar

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

I seem to remember an incarnation of this from the 1970s, but I must be dreaming. It goes on great, like gangbusters, but quickly goes much quieter. Still, it never backs away beyond detection until the very end. People classify this as a spicy scent, but I would call it spicy-green, since the spice seems to be there mostly to liven up the green bits. This is very pleasant to wear, especially in the daytime and in fine weather. The notes are the uplifting kind, so it works to sustain or create a good mood for me. I've seen the "drugstore" version of this, but I think the one I have must predate that, because it seems to retain the complexity I remember from the original.

LiveJazz's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Edit: "Rose" in the name is not referring to an actual rose note. It refers to the grapefruit: "Pink Grapefruit." So the comments about lack of rose in the scent are retracted.

I would have liked some rose with my pamplemousse, but Eau de Pamplemousse Rose smells perfectly good without it. I agree completely with a previous reviewer who said that this is the EDC version of TdH, plus a splendid, sparkling grapefruit note on top.

I cannot overstate how refreshing and effervescent this grapefruit is. I think this is one of the best citrus openings I've smelled, and it lasts well into the heart for me. Again, as the heart transitions to the base, this begins to smell like a lighter version of TdH (spicy green vetiver), with a hint of something edibly sour (others have said rhubarb) and minus some pepper. I was prepared for the worst when it came to longevity and sillage, but both are respectable on me. An excellent summer fragrance...possibly better than TdH, which I find very easy to overapply.

07th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2009)

Zibeline's avatar

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

I'm not a big fan of Bond No. 9 and received a sample of this quite by accident. It took me a while to try it but I am glad I did as it is actually quite nice. I do not find it a particularly masculine scent and was surprised that it's marketed toward guys.

The combination of patchouli with cinnamon and carnations/roses was very effective for me and the civet and leather made it more sensuous, no why play it safe...sexier than the usual bland Bonds. And the lasting power is nice too. The final bonus for me is that it is not cluttered up with a trendy vanilla in the base. It's not earth shattering and it stays close to the skin. Not sure I'll buy a bottle, but if I were to add a Bond to my stable, this is the one I'd choose.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Cool Water Summer Fizz by Davidoff

Definately one of the better flankers of the Cool water line. Better IMHO than the original, in that it smells expensive. It is a mixture of Roger and Gallet Farina extra vielle and the original cool water, giving this concoction a very nice old school new school vibe. Longevity issues? spray like it is going out of style: I cured this problem with 12 sprays. It was worth it. I'd spray more in the heat of summer.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Hot Water by Davidoff

CoL is right. What a wastes opportunity! This smells a lot like Joop! Go (green gottle, exclamation mark) and some other Joops, notably Wolfgang Joop. I am surprised that Davidoff didn't take this opportunity and launch something more bodacious with some fire to it. It's not bad, but the only reason i would try this is to add to the Cool Water plus flankers collection. Other than that, stay clear, waste of money.

jotalopez75's avatar

Colombia Colombia

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

This is the old and original version of Diesel's "Only The Brave". It looks like perfumers Aliénor Massenet, Olivier Polge and Pierre Wargnye reedited Lagerfeld's formula to create OTB. They smell identical.

jotalopez75's avatar

Colombia Colombia

Only The Brave by Diesel

This a new reedited version of classic Lagerfeld for men. Sweet, so sweet yet masculine. Not exactly the kind of fragrance to kill for but I could give it the chance to call my atention. Anyway I prefer Diesel's Fuel for Life since this is a very different and interesting proposal in masculine fragrances.

luky's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I love this scent. I think it is on the top of refined scents. In exudes class.

Nevertheless I have purchased 2 bottles so far and both are a bit different. I bought both in the same oficial retailer. The first one I purchased it in 2007, was stronger and had more silage that the second bottle. Its opening notes were a bit harder and stronger than in the second bottle. I noticed much more in the opening notes of the first bottle the violets. I did not actually like that much the opening notes in the first bottle due to that strong violet note.

The liquid in the first bottle was also oily. It took some minutes to be absorved by my skin (and would stain my shirts if I did not wait some time before getting dressed after application).

The second bottle is the same fragrance, but I would say it is not as strong as the first one. I would say it is like a softer version of it. I cannot notice that strong violet note. I would say it is a bit more refined than the first bottle, but also a bit softer and with less silage.

I am sure both are original GIT and not fake ones. But both are not exactly the same. I have to apply like 6 sprays of the second bottle while I had enough with 3 sprays of the first bottle and could notice it more than the second one.

So my question is what is happening? May this be caused to the fact that one of the bottles was produced some years ago and so it is older? Have Creed changed the formula of GIT?

Oaksbluff's avatar

JF by Floris

I, for one, do not share the hate.

"Bathroom cleaner" is indeed a description I'll toss with abandon at the meaningless horde of scents smoke'd and mirror'd onto us innocent fragrance consumers.

But no so, JF.

It does have some similarities to the Creed and Davidoff, sure. But Floris just does what they do so damned well, I find it hard to make comparisons when one of the choices is so clearly superior.

Where JF really gets me hooked is about 30 minutes in to its evolution. The citrus opening lingers, like the vibrations from a tuning fork, but that Floris undercoat really nails it. Wood and moss heaven. There's a strange waft of clean garden dirt to me. The image drifts to the Devonshire Mitford, smart tweed with soil clinging to her elbows after a morning in the garden.

Thus, I think that JF would work very well on the fairer sex, also. Perhaps the upper class male really is just effete.

Longevity? well... what do you think? It's a citrus fragrance, but I do get a full morning or afternoon of British civility from it.

Overall, another winner from Floris.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

I know that comparing one scent to another can raise complications, especially since you've obviously come here not knowing one... maybe never smelled the other?

With that in mind, I steer myself directly to that definition by comparison. Myrrhe Ardente = Armani Prive Ambre Soie. Were you one of the fortunate to score a refill bottle of the latter on the cheap? Good. Save the money from a potential Myrrhe Ardente purchase and buy something else.

Admittedly, the Goutal ramps up an aldehydic opening... fashioning a simulacrum of increased resinous. For all the world, though, it just makes it more Root Beer-y. Unlike on others, it lasts A LONG TIME on me, several hours, and for all of that time rather linear-- not a bad thing. Sometimes you don't want your scent shape-shifting.

This glib review might make it sound as though I dislike MA. Not the case. There's a call for it in the completist's wardrobe.

Overall, I'll give it a thumb's up, as I'm rather in a good mood this morning, and also as I bought my bottle on the cheap. It doesn't suck, it just doesn't really wow me. Call me high-maintenance, but if I were to shell out big dollar on a bottle of perfume, I kinda want to be wowed. Isn't that what the beauty industry should provide for us?

Amberflash's avatar

Simply by Clinique

fresh opening, followed by warm milk, dry woods, and light fresh air. Absolutely gorgeous, and I usually hate department store perfumes.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I've heard from others and even my own mother that this is a shadow of what it was. I've never tried the vintage stuff, but none the less, I like the modern Youth Dew! It smells disconcertingly musty and spicy top to base, but there's something intriguingly off-beat about it, from its tangy, brusk citrus and spice opening to its rich ambery-oriental base ( I don't find it floral ). There is some accord here that strikes me as uniquely "Youth Dew", but I'm at a loss to name it.

The longevity and sillage are really quite epic. I wear many powerhouses, but this is unquestionably a one-spray fragance on me.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Amir by Laura Tonatto

I find Amir to be a very pleasant incensey amber, a touch of smoke at the beginning leading to a round, opoponax-laden amber. It's not very complex, but it's very wearable, and has good longevity despite its weak sillage.

I'd wear it if I owned a bottle, but I'm not racing out to buy it.

Calyx93's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

Sounded like a winner to me, then I tried it on. Ugh - like a rotten picnic basket - a spoiled food cloud hung over me - nothing like Eau D'Hermes at all, apart from the cumin note. I then took it to a party to give to the host - smelled about the same on him, BUT when sprayed on guest (female), it blossomed into a gorgeous frag - absolutely stunning. Guess it's just down to chemistry really.

lilkcceleb's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

When I Smelled It, The First Cologne That Came To Mind Was Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts.

lilkcceleb's avatar

Prelude to Love by By Kilian

Similar To Virgin Island Water By Creed

photofinish's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Cloying, synthetic gourmand notes and musk collide in this strident potion that relentlessly gnaws at the senses.... leaving one feeling fleeced, malodorous and victimized by clever marketing.

photofinish's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

A gourmand scent that has more in common with chocolate creme brulee than it does with men's cologne, and is certain to attract every chubby female in the village.

SirSlarty's avatar

Eryo by Yves Rocher

A fresh take on the oriental family of perfumes. Sweet but with resins that are not too thick and loud like Obsession or Opium. Spicy yet clear, must be the mint but it's done very well. Mint is a major turnoff for me but here it seems to calm everything down into a nice sweet and spicy fragrance. Great price for the oz.

SirSlarty's avatar

Eryo Blue by Yves Rocher

Very fresh take on orientals and holds true to its moniker. Definitely a bluer scent than Eryo. Toss in just the right amount of calone in an oriental and you get this interesting stuff. Does not seem to last long enough on me to warrant a purchase but it's fairly nice for the price nonetheless. Very casual.

Saturnalia's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Love it, love it, love it. It echoes some of the elements of the classic Kouros in that spraying too much will make you stink!
    Use sparingly and it forms a spicy warm halo around you. It smells to me very much like church incense with a liquorice note. I put it in the same bracket as the great M7. Great for autumn/winter not so much for spring/summer for me at least. Nice one YSL.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Eau d'Orange Verte begins with juicy orange, lemon peel and bergamot, a beautifully balanced Eau de Cologne. As with the EdC genre, Ed'OV is incredibly short lived and with very low sillage. The citrus blend is a refreshing burst that immediately begins to attenuate, revealing a slightly sweet leathery musk, a gentle herbal accord (rosemary, mint, oakmoss) and some faint woody notes. Nothing seems out of place here, and the ingredients are of a high calibre--no excessive soapyness or harshness to be found. There are some similarities to Miller Harris Tangerine Verte, however Ed'OV seems more classic and refined, even if it does not last nearly as long. Ed'OV is marketed as a unisex fragrance, although the leathery musk and herbal ingredients push this fragrance a bit to the masculine side. This is a great choice for warm weather, and an excellent example of the traditional Cologne style.

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

Badgley Mischka

Notes: red wild berries, peach, cinnamon, osmanthus, white peony, jasmine, suede musks, indian sandalwood, caramel amber, patchouli (from badgleymischka.com)

To my nose, Badgley Mischka is composed of super sweet florals with mixed berries, soft wood, vanilla and clean patchouli. It reminds me of a better version of Miss Dior Cherie--it is just as sweet and powdery as any of this type, and although it eventually acquires a bitter edge similar to MDC, it is better balanced overall. As Badgley Mischka develops, the fruit takes on a liquored quality, sweet and tart, slightly fermented yet clean and rich. The florals are thoroughly blended and without an indole in sight. The powdery, woody patchouli base is astringent almost to the point of being leathery. As far as fruity-floral-patchouli fragrances go, Badgley Mischka seems to be extremely wearable, not as overpowering as Angel and more carefully composed than most post-Angel wannabe's. It's not really my style, but so far, this is one of the only gourmand fragrances that has tempted me to give in to this modern feminine genre. It is hardly surprising, as it strikes me that if one were to take Chanel Coco (one of my favorites) and make it a modern feminine gourmand, this would be it. Badgley Mischka seems to share more DNA with Coco than any other Chanel creations, including Coco Mademoiselle. The sillage is strong, and longevity is very good.

Aqua Allegoria Laurier-Réglisse by Guerlain

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Laurier-Reglisse

Notes: Bay Leaf, Licorice, Amber, Violet, Bergamot, Orange Blossom (from Sephora.com)

The first ten minutes of Laurier-Reglisse are quite scrumptious--blended citrus, petitgrain, white florals, vanilla, and nondescript synthetic sandalwood with a vaguely watery quality that provides freshness without being one of the much maligned aquatic genre. Despite the name, I do not smell any laurel or bay, but there is an herbal tone to the fragrance. Unfortunately, as the appealing citrus notes start to fade, the "fresh" ingredient starts to smell a bit of ozone, and is rather poorly placed in relation to LR's green-herbal context. Soon after, the sandalwood takes on a plastic hairspray quality that I have noticed in some other fragrances, notably very cheap drugstore offerings. Thankfully the plastic and ozone settles eventually, and the base contains more pleasant levels of the "fresh" note along with the faint woods and an ubiquitous clean musk. LR is a better fragrance than Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte for green freshness that is on the synthetic side. However, there are much better green fragrances to be had, including some of the previously discontinued Aqua Allegorias. As with most of the AA's, LR is short lived, with minimal sillage, and is suitable for either men or women.

Samsara by Guerlain

I tried the EdT. The sandalwood was a little harsh but the problem I had with this is that the notes seemed unbalanced. I swapped off my bottle because I've also got Python by Trussardi (the "women's") which also features strong sandalwood but is a much nicer blend. It's also a gourmand, which I prefer to something like Samsara, which is has a strong floral element (I generally dislike strong floral fragrances, even if they are supposed to be for men).

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

I agree that this is strong up front but then lacks longevity but I don't remember any major "powdery" aspect to it (I sampled it about a year ago). I do remember a somewhat "synthetic" feel to it, or perhaps it was that I thought that this was a "cologne guy" fragrance. For me it totally lacked complexity and balance (along with aforementioned longevity). I could never imagine wanting to wear this, and would prefer to not spray anything on rather than this, though it is not outright sickening to me, just a bit loud but with nothing really to say. I guess it's like certain people who come to a party, want to be noticed, then leave early after stuffing their faces with appetizers and drinks. I guess it's very inexpensive for a reason. Because I think there are so many better fragrances that cost just a bit more, I can't imagine any reason to buy this, unless you seek the qualities it possesses.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

I agree with those who say this is too sweet and comes across as very "cheap." It's also unbalanced, lacks complexity, and is not dynamic. I don't understand how Dior could even consider marketing this. Perhaps it is meant to appeal to teenage girls with rich parents and little taste.