Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

Myrrh juice to the max. It has the quality of astringent or cough syrup, but unlike most of AG fragrances, Myrrhe Ardente albeit stays longer ;)

Myrrhe Ardente in adj:
    Level 1: liquor
    Level 2: jerusalem
    Level 3: healing juice

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I agree with Joe_Frances, if I were to buy another Dior, it would not be this one, it would probably be Bois d'Argent. As others have said, this smells like my mother's purse. A bit too feminine for me I am afraid.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Skin Bracer by Mennen

Yes, as many said, it evokes proletarian associations in its price, availabilty and the profile of its users. Or else, at its best, associations to loved or dead elders. Don't be brand - fooled, it is an amazing scent.

First of all, it is a skin bracer. That means that when applying it, it will actually brace your skin due to the presence of mint or menthol; after all, we are not talking about metrosexual users demanding physical or emotional comfort from their their wrinkle-control and moistureizing creams. This is for machos with a good pair of cojones, not the devalued kind of men so utterly common nowadays, so the "Ouch, it hurts" upon application can be well answered to with a "I am a man... so I ave to stand this as one."

Second of all, there are beautiful woody and spicy notes comming after the initial menthol / mint blast very much alike a diminished version of Ralph Lauren's Polo, this for just minutes; Skin Bracer has enormous sillage but its longevity is minimal, so you might as well play with it after showering or after shaving, and move on to you usual hour-long scent - BTW, Polo wouldn't be a bad choice, they match. There won't be a problem in this at all for they won't layer.

And if you are among the ones that would love a Skin Bracer with better longevity, just decant it into a sprayer and apply a generous amount of it to your clothes. It will draw compliments.

Take in mind that telling the truth won't work at all, for no one will believe you. So you can as well say it is a bespoke fragrance done by one of the world's best noses.

Lucy Fishwife's avatar

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Holy cow but this is a thing of beauty. Avoiding all the nasty sharp gooseberry notes that seem to accompany lily-of-the-valley AND the sickly sweetness that goes with other lily scents, this is just big, beautiful, and LILY LILY LILY. Everybody who has smelt it has commented favourably, and the supreme Litmus test has to be my husband, who rarely notices perfumes, actually looking up from his paper and saying "That smells really nice" - rare.

shamu1's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Released in 1978, Azzaro Pour Homme is the beast that set the stage for the "powerhouse era" of fragrance that was right around the corner in the 1980s. Today, APH may not smell particularly original anymore (if you've worn Tuscany you'll know what this smells like), probably because countless imposters since then have tried to emulate its brilliance. No matter - what APS has that lesser mortals don't have is BALANCE, and that is its greatest quality. Azzaro is clean, rich, warm, woody and spicy all at once, and it blends these qualities together perfectly - this is one smooth scent. Though it's nowhere near as crude or raw as Quorum, Azzaro Pour Homme is a very manly fragrance, while simultaneously exuding an aura of level-headed, James Bond-like self-assuredness. One thing I cannot stress enough, however, is that this is a hard fragrance to sample because it is one that must be WORN in order to be judged fairly - do not judge this by simply spraying it on your wrist and cramming your nose into it all day. Like other powerscents such as Giorgio For Men and Kouros, Azzaro's magic comes from its radiance - you need to allow its scent to envelop you. Another word of caution: this is also a scent that is very easy to overapply; because of its deep, warm richness, you might not notice how strong this fragrance is on yourself, but I can assure you that if this is overapplied people around you will definitely be calling you "Cologne Guy" behind your back.

It is one of greatest masculine fragrances of all time, and is the epitome of what constitutes a classic scent.

07th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 09th September, 2009)

gvillecreative's avatar

Eau d'Été by Nicolaï

Lovely scent! Very refreshing and clean.

gvillecreative's avatar

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Totally agree with LiveJazz-- this is mostly grapefruit on me. Unlike Pamplelune, it managed to stay away from smelling like catpee. It's an easy to wear, warm, happy scent. Unfortunately, lasting power is not very good.

07th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2009)

PorkFat's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

L'Homme is really a love it or hate it deal. I find it sharp, almost metallic and unpleasant. The bright citrus, herbal basil and violet and the tonka all clash to my nose. I think I will sum it up in verse:

Not the most terrible fragrance in the land
    Although it is rather boring and bland
    Totally unlike every other YSL offer
    Smells like something from Azzaro's discount coffers

Un Belle Parfum's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

I received a bottle of Escale a Portofino for my birthday as a gift from my mother who knows how much I love Dior perfumes. This fragrance opens with a strong, crisp shot of lemon, Sicilian Lemon according to the Dior website. It's refreshing and effervescent, just the thing I will be looking for when summer comes along. However, lemon fragrances can be difficult in that for many people they smell akin to dishwashing liquids. Escale a Portofino balances lemon with almond, creating just enough of a contrast to prevent the opening from being too tarte or detergent-y.

However, the almond isn't creamy or food-y, it sits behind the lemon providing balance with it's bitter scent. Cedarwood warms up Escale a Portofino after some of the lemon fades, and provides for a slightly masculine feel. Although it is classed as a feminine fragrance I think that this would be wonderful on a man, however it's certainly not too masculine for a 'girlie' women to wear - it's perfectly unisex. It's chic, un-cluttered and carefree like a simple piece of quality jewellery, it makes a statement but does so in a off-hand way. Escale a Portofino will not wear you, it stays close to the skin and softly fades away rather than screetching to a halt.

In the last instances of this fragrance there is a softness, with only a hint of the citrus remaining. By this stage there is a slightly musky scent lingering on the skin only only a faint memory of the lemon. I think part of my attraction to this perfume comes from a treasured family image. In the hot, hot days of our temperamental Australian summers I would often sit outside in the shade with my father and drink lemon water to keep cool. The scent of the lemons and their juice mixed with ice cubes and the faint, woody smell of my fathers aftershave mingled are somewhat similar to Escale a Portofino. I know when those hot, dry days come (although it's hard to imagine now) an uplifting fragrance such as this will be my saviour

07th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2009)

auee's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I agree with those who find this fragrance one of the finest orientals available. It is soft, sweet, and spicy at the same time without being excessive in any given area. It lasts and projects. I have not found anything better in this category and would not want to be without this fragrance. It simply makes me feel calm and relaxed. It is fantastic anytime, but it is most special to me on crisp or cold days when one really can best experience the warm sensation it brings to the wearer. It is available to try at most fragrance shops and department stores so I recommend that you bite the bullet like I did and go to one of these stores and request or take a test spray. Be conservative with the EDP. Three widely dispersed sprays is all I need. I think you will be very glad you did.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

The opening is gorgeously green with just the right hints of spice but as it progresses towards the drydown, all I got was sackloads of cardamom. I noticed Lavender, Jasmine and Artemisia listed in the heart notes but on my skin these florals were absent; overwhelmed no doubt by the rampaging spice notes. Perhaps the sultry weather is to blame. In any case I went home for a quick scrub before anyone mistook me for a sweaty "Spice Guy'.

A second wearing on a cooler day however brings a noticeably different dimension: it is a lot greener and the spices less rampant. I could also detect a fleeting powdery floral note before it gets chased away by the spice. As much as I like the masculine green opening, I can only give this a neutral. Certainly one of those scents that should come with a user's manual stating: "For use in COOL DRY WEATHER only."

07th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th September, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

Monsieur Balmain is a refreshing take on the citrus genre very much in the mold of Acqua di Parma's Colonia; the lemon invigoratingly fresh and au naturale. Unlike many other citrus opening acts, however, the lemon accord maintains its cheerful presence well into the heart notes giving the smooth sandalwood an interesting edge. Excellent, bottle-worthy juice!

07th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2009)

StylinLA's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Seems to be a very polarizing scent. A lot of negatives in here proportionate to the positives. I find it intoxicating, but most appropriate on fairly young women. I think it would be at odds with a woman 35 or over. I always get a bit of the cotton candy scent and some patchouli, but never the chocolate.

When I smell Angel in a crowd my heart beat quickens and my head spins until I find the source. I find I am never surprised to see it is an attractive and confident young woman.

klerre's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

I thought I would like this because of the coconut and jasmine, and I like a few other Bond No 9 frags, but this was awful. Too sweet and synthetic - it made me nauseous. I've been trying to scrub it off my arm for an hour but I can still smell it.

klerre's avatar

Idole d'Armani by Giorgio Armani

I get none of the middle or base notes from it. On me, it smells like a citrus dish cleanser.

Carabruva's avatar

D&G Le Bateleur 1 by Dolce & Gabbana

Yes, I too was left underwhelmed, although it's better than #6 and #18 which are truly bland (and not even worth producing in my opinion). It does smell as if made of high-quality ingredients. Maybe the right choice for a gift for a husband/boyfriend/father who is averse to wearing scents and you want to get his feet wet without being afraid of offending his senses. L'Imperatrice 3 is the best of the group, even for a guy.

Carabruva's avatar

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

Of the D&G Anthology, this is by far the most interesting IMO. It's kinda funky--in a nice way. And will probably appeal more to women even though I think lots of men could appreciate wearing it. I didn't pay enough attention to the first sniff to decipher the top notes, but they worked well together overall. Perhaps the rhubarb first pulled me in. As it evolved, I vaguely felt as if I were perceiving honeysuckle, which was probably the cyclamen in the middle. Then grapefruit sneaked in nicely.

Quite an intriguing scent. It might even have a chance to become my summer everyday-to-work fragrance when my L'Eau par Kenzo runs out--but I would have to give it a test run on my skin first, and it would have to beat out some stiff competition.

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

One of the ultimate chypre "eau fraiche" of the '70s, together with Ö de Lancôme, Eau de Guerlain and Chanels Cristalle. Eau de Rochas is the most refreshing of the lot, with just a touch of patchouli.

Unisex 20 years before CKone.

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Palazzo by Fendi

Reminds me of the scent of Clarins Suncare products with a powdery base. Summer vacation in a bottle. Solar floral.

If you can't find Palazzo anymore try Eau Ensoleillante/Sunshine Fragrance by Clarins which is a lighter all-over body spritzer that can be worn in the sun.

Too bad this beautiful fragrance wasn't succesful.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

I really like this fragrance's rose, oud, patchouli, and saffron combination. The mix is hardly unique, but there's something very wearable and almost "friendly" about it that sets it apart from the likes of the bold Black Aoud or the reserved Dark Rose. I don't smell truffles, but rather a Christmas-cake vibe that steers this slightly into gourmand territory.

Oud seems to come in a lot of varieties, and the oud note here is a softer, mellower oud note than most I've experienced, not at all "barnyard" or medicinal. Its closest kin in my experience is the oud note in Montale's Original Oud.

Unfortunately, Noir de Noir has a huge down side for me: fleeting longevity. It lasts an hour at most before disappearing entirely into the air, which is why it gets a neutral rating. If this lasted the way Tobacco Vanille did, it would be thumbs up for sure.

Asha's avatar

A Scent by Issey Miyake

Issey Miyake A Scent

A Scent starts very green and a bit watery. Galbanum and citrus notes are the main players at first, and there is a slight "acetone" quality as mentioned by others. Remarkably, it is really only a touch of acetone, and to my nose does not overpower the other notes. However, sensitive individuals should beware and test on paper before applying to skin. A Scent was relatively well behaved on me--it is a very decent, although thoroughly synthetic-smelling fragrance in which the galbanum is the only shining star. The rest of the notes are rather nondescript, and include blended springtime white florals and soapy white musk. A Scent reminds me very much of Estee Lauder's products--that is to say, yet another variation on a "laundry soap" floral that Estee Lauder revolutionized many years ago. For green floral scents, I'd rather spend my money on Diorella, Chanel Cristalle or Estee Lauder's Private Collection Jasmine White Moss. A Scent is simply not anywhere near the quality of these other fragrances, and it is not nearly as enjoyable.

Longevity was moderate, the galbanum goodness faded within a couple hours leaving bland florals and musk skin scent for the rest of the day. Sillage was moderate to low. At first AS seems like it could be a unisex fragrance, but the midnotes are decidedly floral, giving the fragrance a tendency toward the feminine. It is worth a try for anybody who likes light, fresh, green and clean fragrances. And to be honest, despite the uninspired composition, AS is better than most others in the "fresh and clean" category.

Bigsly's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I'm not giving this a negative because it's not my kind of fragrance, but rather because it is horribly unbalanced. And rather than dynamism, the perfumer seemed to have been more interested in creating the olfactory equivalent of a punch to the face. If the idea was to create this type of effect, and it was marketed as such, I could understand it, but it wasn't. To me, it came across as a mossy/grassy scent with a gasoline kind of note tossed in to be obnoxious. It would work better as a room spray, for your garage or shed, than as something to spray on a person. Perhaps it works well if you are going to spend a lot of time in a room with poor ventilation and several people chain-smoking, but I'm not going to do such an experiment to discover if that is the case.

Tony T's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

peppery, clean delight. nothing fancy,just a lingering accord from beginning to end. an established scent for the established man

UMO905's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this scent, it can be a little overpowering initially, but after wearing for a few hours it turns into a comforting sweet smell which lasts a long time. I would agree and prefer to wear this at night and not so much in the day.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

A nice lemon/pine men's fragrance. This is quite dry. I don't see this as formal; I think it would be fine for everyday wear. Just spray onto fabric though, since the longevity if applied to skin is quite poor.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I smell almost nothing. Weak rubber scent, and very faint vanilla. Why is this so popular?

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

In order of impact: Boozy, sweet, spicy, woodsy/resinous. Nothing overdone.Very nice. Good longevity. Lays fairly close to the skin, though I can smell it all day. Comes in a big bottle; way more than I will ever use.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

What is it about the smell of wood that is so attractive to some people. This fragrance is 100% about wood. It smells like cedar and cypriol. I am sure there are some of the synthetic components that add to the "dryness" and cedar quality as well. This is a very dry fragrance; hardly a hint of sweetness at all.

I find the strength to be good. No, I don't think it's a powerhouse scent. I really like GpH; I just wish the longevity was a bit better. On me, it's gone in a few hours.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Very "in your face" incense. Musty, dry, one-dimensional. Longevity is excellent. Projection is very minimal. Evocative yes; beautiful I don't know. Not for me I guess.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate by Comme des Garçons

This and Kyoto are my favorites from this line. This is a mildly spicy incense.