Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

JonB's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Very strong incense. Strong, artificial pine note. I much prefer Ouarzazate, Jaisalmer or Kyoto from this series. Longevity is excellent. Projection for the incense note is minimal. The pine does project a bit.

JonB's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

It may not have any detectable vetiver qualities to it, but it's a great fragrance despite the name. To me this smells like nice Neroli on top of cypriol. OV is very easy to wear, and is a very likeable scent. A great warm weather scent, and could easily be a signature scent. On me the longevity is good, and the strength and projection is just about perfect. Thumbs way up for this one.

Mapletop's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

You have to let this dry on skin not paper to enjoy the smell. I wonder how many people that thinks this smells bad has actually given it a days wear. I do not get any negative notes from this. Kouros has a slight bitter accord that I like. There is no sweetness in this. It is fresh, musky, and animalic. Very masculine and strong.

08 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 September, 2009)

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Habit Rouge Sport by Guerlain

After so many bad reviews around before the official launch in Italy, I exptected a very bad, unbalanced variation of HR. Indeed I tried a very sophisticated and not boring fragrance, wearable and discrete. I don't like the bottle (it is not a case that in the official ads the bottle is not captured frontal, to avoid the contrast of the "white " label on the red bottle.
    Guerlain is still better than other factories are.

Corrado Finardi's avatar

Hot Water by Davidoff

COMPLETELY AGREEING WITH COL..
    the marketing footprint is evident. It's a pity. The real quality should be very poor, resembling somehow the "Axe" (or in some countries "Lynx") "Vice" smell. The idea behind is a sort of Retail cologne, synthetic and Coty based (nothing against Coty, but quality is quality).
    Searching for the idea of "hot", look instead for Givenchy Xerious, Habit Rouge (the recent sport version is not so bad as described, in my opinion).

PorkFat's avatar

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

This is hands down, the best Lacoste fragrance. That's not saying much nor is it much of an accomplishment but it is what it is. There is no chocolate and not a lot of mint like what others are reporting. I think they should have smelled it before they read the pyramid.
    What are the most dominating notes then? Sweet raspberries and cedar. It's really wonderful and, yes even a bit elegant. Nothing refined or pretentious and it doesn't stay around very long or project so you may want to spray extra on your skin and clothing to make it last.
    Again, you won't go turning heads but you'll enjoy this nice, mild, sweet, woodsy fragrance while it lasts on you.

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I gave this fragrance a shot because of the controversy surrounding it. It's very interesting, though not anything I would consider wearing. I get saliva, copper, plastic, and a haunting little suggestion of flowers. It sort of smells like the inside of a person's mouth, or like (someone else's) skin. Very strange, and not nearly as offensive as some of the more fastidious reviewers would have us believe. Quite powerful and long-lasting too; you will have to decide if this is a benefit. Totally unsuitable for day wear, and you would have to be incredibly brave to wear it on a date or for an evening out, but points to Etat Libre for coming up with something unique.

jennster's avatar

Lola by Marc Jacobs

I really enjoy this perfume. I find it to be a more modern interpretation of older, bolder rose scents. I see something like this on the nightstand of a 50's secretary. Well not the bottle which is instant love for me but I don't think they had bottles like this back then. The fume open up with a quick fruityness and quickly turns into alot of (thankfully non-synthetic) rose and a bit of Peony on me. It dried down nicely to a creamy vanilla with a hint of musk. Very nice. Flirty and fun!

Acier Aluminium by Creed

I am not sure why this is categorized as a male fragrance. I own it and love it. It is one of the few scents that I can wear that does not cause an intial nauseating reaction. It IS potent though, so be careful with the trigger. Someone wrote, "please have sex with me," and when i wear it I do become enamored with myself. I have yet to spot a man who is sporting it, and I would love to experience that chemistry.

It does have a banana-like backdrop, It is a "cool" fragrance, but not soapy. It is a "warm" fragrance, but not suffocating. I cannot explain how it can be both at the same time. It is sweet and deep on me, but there is this aura of "lightness" around me. I feel aloof and connected simultaneously. When I spray it on my bare chest, it warms in a most pleasant way. And on me, it does not go thru phases--it stays pretty much consistent from start to finish. It is a cold-weather fragrance in my opinion.

More women who rail against the hyper-sweet fragrance domination should give this a serious try. But as stated, easy with the trigger finger.

Royal Delight by Creed

Please spare yourself the sickening blast of this scent. It is completely just too much...of everything. Too overpowering, too cloying, too unbearable. I happily "gifted" it away, and the pleasure was all mine in the giving. The upside is that after about 5 hours of sheer misery, I could stand to be around myself. I cannot stress enough how potent this is and not in a good way.

Amalfi Flowers by Creed

If you did not have the chance to snap up a bottle of this, no worries. I bought an outrageously-priced decant of this and wish I had not. It is modern in an offensive way that it smells like most else out there for women. On a positive note, I admire the many-hours-later drydown when it is not "piercing." Good wood.

auee's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

I agree with those who enjoy this fragrance. It is a really nice scent and is worth wearing for the scent and available online discounted pricing. There is one major drawback; on me its longevity is as low as 2 hours. This is really disappointing. I intend to keep and use it until I finish the bottle, which will not be as long as with stronger fragrances. So if you go for this fragrance, you may wish to fill up a travel spray vial to keep it going all day or night long.

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

I find this scent very feminine in its demure yet classy presentation of rose and jasmine, with a vintage feel that lends it an air of old world sophistication. Another elegant masterpiece from the house of Bulgari.

TOP: bergamot, violet leaves, orange blossom
    MIDDLE: jasmine sambac, mimosa, rose
    BASE: iris, musk, sandalwood

08 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2009)

Halston by Halston

The bottle says Halston Cologne. So I tried it on. Hmm...not bad..kinda familiar. Now where have I smelled this scent before? Then it struck me. It was from my ex wife. Beautiful by Estee Lauder. The SA told me it's marketed as a unisex but I found it a touch too feminine for my tastes and I'm someone who thinks nothing of wearing women's perfume as long as the notes fit. Still, I can imagine other people enjoying this fragrance just the same and at the price point it is available, Halston deserves a nod at least.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

A good workhorse scent which remains firmly in the shade of Jacques Cavallier's original creation. Extreme may be stronger and lasts longer but lacks the delicate balance that gives the original its ethereal almost magical quality. Buy the original.

08 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2010)

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

If you're interested in getting the biggest bang from your buck, look no further. If you are one of those who complain about scents which don't last or project too feebly, you may stop whining now. Get Bogart pour homme. I honestly think this should be reclassified as a frag bomb, a true olfactory weapon. Not only is sillage measured in terms of killing zones, its longevity is probably closer to uranium's radioactive decay. OK, I admit the cost of its ingredients probably won't buy you an empty Amouage bottle, but Bogart pH is a welcome throwback to the 1980's when masculine powerhouse scents ruled and bubblegummy tutti-fruities were for schoolgirls.

Well, what are you waiting for? Grab a bottle, lads, splash it on and watch your neighbors' daughters swoon from across the road. Join me in ENJOYING this!

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

I love the original so I had justifiably high expectations of Soir. But it opens with barely a whimper and progresses quickly to something reminiscent of lukewarm milk tea laced with a little spice. In a blind test I'd pick the original twice over this ho-hum-dinger anytime.

xraze's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Every times I put on A*Men for the first 10 minutes, I'm sneezing. Can't help it. The top notes mix are a little sweet-y pepper to my nose. Then came a variation of flirty smell: in gourmand style, sweet and nice.

CAUTION: Use A*Men only on special occasion; date, party, casual dining, birthday. The smell just doesn't suit well with professional environment. Obviously do not wear this to the office unless you want to flirt with your colleague.

Reason for thumb up: Great mix for special occasion. Not the everyday smell you want to be associate with. Trust me [Unless you wanna be a vanillized mocha :p]

zeadsalma's avatar

Azerbaijan Azerbaijan

Gold Woman by Amouage

What can i say ? I just LOVE it ! I got a gift for my birthday in 2005 ... december 1 ... it is finished :( i am going to get a new one ...GIFT FOR MY SELF :)

christophercologne's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I just can't get past that awful aniseed/licorice smell in this fragrance. That killed it for me. I'll try a revisit soon, but i dont expect a different reaction.

tvlampboy's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Chergui wth more tobacco and slightly lower quality vanilla. For the price difference, get the Chergui and then smoke a pack of cigarettes.

odysseusm's avatar

Cypress by Demeter Fragrance Library

This scent is “the distillation of the leaves, twigs and cones of the cypress tree” according to the Demeter site.
    This is quite a scent! It is very coniferous, very green, very medicinal and powerful. I can’t see it having a wide appeal. I like pine-y and medicinal scents, so I can appreciate its quirky and simple focus. The opening is quite lively and fresh. The drydown is much like lineament, with a hint of Granny Smith apple skin!

odysseusm's avatar

Feu d'Orange Intense by L'Occitane

Notes: blood orange, sweet orange, tangerine, lemon, vetiver, gaiac wood, vanilla resins

This starts as an orange-based, refreshing and simple summer spritz. Here, it is a light, rather translucent scent – various notes shimmer in and out. I say this because the scent is called “intense” and it is really nothing of the sort. The dreaded vanilla is admirably restrained here. I can detect it, but it is not overtly sweet. It simply adds a softening touch to the citrus notes. I also get a variety of woody notes, which seem a bit reedy or even metallic. The dry-down gets interesting. It thankfully continues in the not-sweet category, and has a close to the skin, haunting vibe. My one caveat is that I think it could be a bit more orangey. In summary: this is an intriguing scent, and the bottle, colour and overall presentation are distinctive and well done. It is dry and not very fruity, so it is certainly a unisex scent.

scentsitivity's avatar

Guess Man by Guess

A clean green synthetic masculine that would normally get a neutral rating from me. The opening is a little over sweet. However, the dry down became unpleasant to the point that I had to wash it off. So it gets a thumbs down.

paulmcc's avatar

Thundra by Profumum

Pretty much what several of the reviewers have mentioned:
    Fabulous opening...if you happen to like that scent (which I find very exciting & powerful) but it just doesn't last very long at all.

It quickly morphs into something quite nondescript.

And at the price this juice goes for...not very practical for refreshing every half hour to maintain that opening blast.
    Too bad because did the opening last long or it was a lot cheaper, this would likely become a staple in my rotation.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

White Linen starts off smelling strangely Avante Garde for something so well known and traditional. Intense, bitter, soapy, snuffed-candle aldehydes screech out of the bottle like the opening chords of Penderecki's Threnody For The Victims Of Hiroshima, smelling sharply alien and devoid of life, botanical or otherwise. Of course, White Linen would be unbearable if it stayed this way, and it doesn't, quickly shifting into something I can best describe as rose-water soap. It is exceedingly soapy all the way through its drydown, but not in an unpleasant or simplistic way. Probably the closest thing to White Linen's drydown is vigorously rubbing a bar of soap on your wrist, then adding the faintest dash of floral talc. It's a sexless, synthetic, inorganic smell, but really, it's very good at doing what it does - and for that, I applaud it.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

I've heard there's been a big change in the reformulation, so I should note that this review is for the current version.

The top notes of GG are almost coyly misleading - a bright, tangy-sweet, powdery lemon note dominates. If you've had those lemon drops with the tart powder inside, you'll know the effect. As the top notes wear off, however there is a distinct upwelling of exceedingly skanky, animalic patchouli, vetiver, and civet; very loud and almost "hot" in a bestial way. I find patchouli often gives me an uncomfortably unclean feeling, and GG lays on that sweaty patchouli with a trowel.

I like animalic fragrances, but this was too much for me, and I wound up trading my blind-bought bottle away. None the less, reformulation or not, this is very good, very bold, and unique.

al02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

I'm generally either indifferent or critical of many fragrances in the "fruity" genre, but AL02 is head and shoulders above any fruity fragrance I've tried before. There is none of those neon-lit candy fruits that dominate the genre, rather a rich yet subtle aroma of spiced and stewed fruits; apple, pear, and especially fig striking my nose, with a touch of dried-apricot and prune in the mixture. Cardamon and cinnamon lend a spicy touch, a smooth creaminess is lent by vanilla, and there is a distinct vibe of incense through the heart and base. Perhaps surprisingly, AL02 is not especially sweet and certainly not floral to my nose, smelling like real fruit rather than some fruit-flavoring approximation for the nose. The drydown shares some characteristics with the classic Feminite du Bois, but without the woody, vinegary tang that makes that unwearable on me.

The longevity and sillage are only moderate, but if you like the idea of a subtle, complex fruit fragrance for adults, give this one a try!

bokaba's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

This is an interesting fragrance that seems to combine the traditional cologne with some type of fougere. The opening is a blast of citrus with some modern elements like cardamom and ginger. The heart and base are fairly similar and composed of spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, sandalwood, and musk. AdP Assoluta is certainly longer lasting that the original, but that is about it.

09 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

chaosman's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Don't like this fragrance that much. In my opinion it smells like grass. For the price and compared to what other fragrances offer this one is a bit over hyped.