Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

chaosman's avatar
    chaosman

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

I often wonder if people actually ever smell fragrances or just write about them? This smells nothing like Opium. I have both Opium EdT and Parfum and Opium smells way more generic and oriental than this frag. LP no 9 has more of a bubblegum sweet open and is a more complex mixture. This one gets me a lot of compliments and lasts a long time. The middle notes and base notes are great as well. I think it evolves quite nicely and its more expensive because its a very high quality fragrance. You can just tell from the opening spray.

chaosman's avatar
    chaosman

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Too many people complaining about this frag. I get the most compliments from this than any of my niche fragrances which cost 5 times as much. Its masculine but has somewhat of a seductive smell to it as well. Someone said its smells of "Italian" I guess I see what they mean but this is a perfect frag for 20s age group and doesn't cost a whole lot either. Staying power is decent for an EdT

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Ambro by Jacomo

Opens up brisk and cooling and settles into a lightly spicy vanilla. Yes, to me it's like Le Male at the end. The lavender is not so harsh and the sweetness is bottomed out by a good dose of woods and a very pleasant hint of patchouli. I kept getting flashes of a combination of A*Men + Le Male but in very, very quieted tones. Specifically, the tones that I like A*Men and Le Male for, herbal woods and sweetness respectfully. This is a very nice, refined (meaning light for its olfactory family) woodsy oriental.

Sybarite's avatar
    Sybarite

Dambrosia by Profumum

Dambrosia's notes are : Pear , Almond , Fig and Sandalwood.
    And it's one of those scents that happen to smell very much like what one would expect from the given notes. You can distinctly smell each of the notes unfolding. Perfectly blending into a lovely melange !
    It opens with a smooth as silk Pear and Almond blend ... which becomes ever more distinctly "figgy" as the scent progresses.
    It's also not as sweet as one might expect from the notes. With both the pear and almond being quite "natural", and not particularly "ripe" or "toasted" like. (Though the scent does pick up a certain "toastiness" later, towards the drydown, but here from the sandalwood and not the almond).
    Any sweetness there is comes from the pear, which is mostly a top note, and soon disappears into the fig accord.
    The almond is subtle and more the natural scent of the almond "fruit" picked straight off a tree as opposed to the more "nutty" or "marzipan & almond essence" note that one is more familiar with, or might expect. So the almond is here mostly in the background, lending the scent it's slight "creaminess", and "smoothing out all the edges". (It also oddly "rears it's head" again much later in the drydown ??).
    But the leading note here is most definitely the Fig. It really is pretty much basically a Fig Scent ! ... And an excellently done one at that !
    It's not a boozy or ripe fig accord. Being more the scent of the crushed leaves of the fig tree. (Though oddly enough still not particularly "green" as such, like one would find in Diptyque's "Philosykos", but a much "warmer" and "richer" scent overall, because of the almond and sandalwood). Though it is still a very "true to life" fig leaf note. And thankfully, it does not suffer the usual "trend" of smelling too "coconutty", as some fig scents tend to do. The coconut note is often used in a fig accord to lend it a certain creaminess. But, I find, too often it's heavy handed, being far too prominent and distracting from a true fig scent. The "creaminess" here is rather from the almond, which I think is actually more authentic. With the "richness" from the sweetish pear note. And of course from the warm delicious Sandalwood base that holds it all together beautifully.
    The Sandalwood lends the whole scent a subtle woody texture. Becoming more and more prominent and "woodier" as the scent progresses. But this is a Sandalwood "woodiness", which is never a very strong wood note.
    It also never completely looses it's lovely "figgy-ness". So you are left with a lightly fig "dusted" gorgeous sandalwood, many hours later.
    It's a gorgeous fig scent, that I highly recommend to any fig lover especially. (Or sandalwood lover for that matter !?) ... Fig and Sandalwood being such an excellent "winning" combination !
    It could fast become one of my favourite fig scents ?! ~ Just delicious !!!
    The scent opens on a slightly more "feminine" tone, but soon enough becomes perfectly "unisex", the moment the fig "kicks in", a few moments later.
    Another wonderful frag from Profumum, where the excellent quality of their ingredients is always apparent (if nothing else).

Pollux's avatar
    Pollux
    Argentina Argentina

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

This is an interesting scent: it has verything it takes to be a horrid contemporary concoction, but I like it. It is too sweet, it is linear, it lacks originality and reeks of modernity, it can be cloying if applied liberaly, but the vanilla and the boozy kind of tobacco notes as well as its longevity make it a nice blend or at least, a mcuh better one than many.

Suppose you are one of the many BNoters definetely convinced that vintage scents are much better that present time fragrances, give this along a try among the ones in its type, it might surprise you. It did in my case.

Arpeggiator's avatar
    Arpeggiator
    Germany Germany

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

A fresh citrus scent, that reminds me a little bit of JF by Floris.
    The synthetic "detergent" note is not as obvious/harsh as in JF, but still present.
    I find it very linear without any remarkable development. Perhaps at the
    end (after 4-5 h) the sandalwood finds the way to the surface, but the lemon
    note still dominates.
    Longevity (6-7 h) is really good for this lemon summer scent.
    (rating 5/10)

epicurean's avatar
    epicurean

X for Men by Clive Christian

Gorgeous. Very rich indeed, but with just enough sharpness (the bergamot?) to keep it from being overly sumptuous. A sophisticated evening scent -- not for everyday wear. Is it worth the money? Hard to say. But at least the price tag keeps it from becoming anywhere near ubiquitous.

epicurean's avatar
    epicurean

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi

A very pleasant scent. Smells just like any given centuries-old church in Italy -- and I've been to many, believe me. Not sure I'd actually want wear it, but it brings back wonderful candle-lit visions of churches in Rome and Florence ... An excellent room fragrance, perhaps.

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Amendment to my 9/9/09 review:

Now that I've had some more time with Krizia Uomo, I think it now deserves a thumbs up. I find this scent to be much more enjoyable in the colder weather. Even though it's a scent that seems composed of almost exclusively top notes (i.e., woody notes), it really comes alive in the cold weather. For some reason, there are notes that seem suppressed in warm weather and seem to come to life in cold weather. I also find its opening and middle accord extremely uplifting and invigorating, rather than grating. Thumbs up now.

My 9/9/0 review:

Pino Silvestre on steroids. Krizia Uomo's opening accord of pine, lavender, citrus, mint, ginger and wood hits you with shocking astringency, slamming into your sinuses like a plane crash. I like scents with strong openings, but this is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Like in Tsar and Rocabar, Krizia's complex opening accord has an irritating, heady soapiness which I believe I've finally figured out is cedar.. I will say however that this accord is intensely green and natural-smelling, which is a plus. It's just too much for me. This olfactory overkill makes it seem like Krizia has no heart, instead shifting from top notes (which last about an hour on my skin) directly to the base notes. Thankfully the drydown is superb, providing a nice respite from the chaos. It's a spicy blend of clove, rose, vetiver, oakmoss and pine, quite unique and very long lasting.

If I were to compare this to another fragrance, I would say it's kind of like a very green Yatagan. If you removed the caustic ginger and citrus notes in the opening, added a large dose of castoreum to give it some sweaty, animalic grit, you'd have Yatagan. I much prefer Yatagan, however.

I really don't know whether I love this or hate this. I'm at first inclined to give this a thumbs up because I love the drydown. However, I can't do it because you still have to suffer through the opening accord to get to the drydown. Although I find the top notes strident and unpleasant, I applaud its boldness. This is a fragrance with real teeth. I also have to respect a guy that can actually pull off wearing this with panache. I'm hoping that more exposure to this very unique fragrance will warm me to it more.

09 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st November, 2009)

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

The saying that one should never judge a book by its cover applies equally to fragrances: never judge a perfume by its top notes. If I were to judge every scent by its opening accord, I'd be missing out on gems like Lapidus Pour Homme - the somewhat annoying and misplaced pineapple note in the opening of LPH does not prepare you for the macho Powerhouse Assault that comes later on. If your experience in the world of fragrance is limited mainly to what has been popular for the past ten or fifteen years, Lapidus Pour Homme is going to smell like it's from the planet Saturn. This one is different for sure.

First off, this is superstrong, with sillage and longevity possibly exceeding Kouros'. Though I love this scent, this could be a hard one to wear as a signature scent. You'd have olfactory fatigue all the time if you did.

Most importantly, LpH just smells strange, mysterious, dark and dusky. Chypres typically have a mossy, green-smelling base, but LpH is no typical chypre. Sure, it has a green, mossy base, but this base is a cold, dark green moss, with plenty of earthy patchouli and what smells like dark leather to make the whole effect even duskier. The whole feel of this fragrance is stark, brooding and earthy. I found this fragrance absolutely fascinating.

I give Lapidus Pour Homme two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

09 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2010)

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Van Cleef& Arpels Pour Homme is dark and melancholy. It is probably the most austere fragrance I have ever smelled. I love it.

It's a multifaceted fragrance that has qualities of a chypre (bitter top notes and a mossy base), an aromatic fougere (it has lavender and a subtle talcum powder/barbershop smell), and a powerhouse scent from the 1980s (strong moss base, big time longevity and sillage). The strong, dark moss note in its base definitely reminds you that this scent was popular in the late 70s/1980s and does date it a little bit, and it has been referred to by some as a "powerhouse", but VCA's other qualities listed above make this a true classic. At first sniff, VCA smells rather traditional, but its dark, smouldering base notes set this apart from other classic chypres like Equipage and Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Van Cleef & Arpels NOT just some casual fragrance you'd wear while downing beers with the guys and watching football, This is a dark, menacing powerhouse of a scent. Van Cleef is all business, and has no time for screwing around.

09 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2010)

PorkFat's avatar
    PorkFat

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Like derekp, I too had the tingly nose response the first 4 or 5 times and generally didn't care for the fragrance to cost ratio. And frankly, it smells very similar to the other Millesimes in the Creed line. So similar in fact to Himalaya and Millesime Imperial that I wouldn't bother with the others if you had one of them, unless you just *had* to collect all the Creeds like some fragrance Pokeman challenge.

Then something happened on the 6th try that forced my hand to trade a Montale for it. I'm not sure what changed, but I no longer had that almost allergic reaction and I started falling a little in love. Rich characteristics popped out that had previously remained hidden and what emerged was a refreshing chill that was so pleasant, I had to have more!

I still think it smells similar to several other Creeds, but I might buy just one more...

athenahelen's avatar
    athenahelen
    Singapore Singapore

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

Calandre is a good scent to use in the office when one has an important meeting. It's non-intrusive and lasts all day. Also, it's cheaper than Rive Gauche.

ChrisJPN's avatar
    ChrisJPN
    Japan Japan

Cédre by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

Is it just me or is this basically Dune Pour Homme with absolutely no longevity? It smells better than Dune but it's so inoffensive, so light and bland that it just all seems so.... pointless. It's a pleasant scent but I can't imagine ever choosing to wear this and I regret even spending the $3 on the sample. I'll vote neutral because it isn't unwearable but it's just completely insignificant.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Vetyver Lanvin (new) by Lanvin

Ahh, vetiver. A root problem for many reviewers it seems, pun intended. There appears to be some confusion surrounding Lanvin's updated (butchered?) version of its '60s original particularly in comparison to its more illustrious counterpart from Guerlain. Is there or is there not 'vetiver' in this one? If you're looking for the 'musty, earthy' notes commonly associated with vetiver root you won't find it here. Lanvin's vetiver is much softer and greener, quite easily missed. The difference could be due to the nature of the raw vetiver or the derived vetiver oil post disillation. Whatever it was, it makes for a quieter scent that wears closer to your skin. Perhaps it won't find fans among sillage lovers but I rather like its understated elegance.

kittyc's avatar
    kittyc

White Linen by Estée Lauder

If you don't like the outburt at the beginning of White Linen, give it time. Good thngs come to those who wait. After half an hour or so, it softens. The fragrance retains a certain sharpness throughout, but cushioned within those lovely floral notes. The bath and body products might suit people who find the perfume to strong. Undeniably, this is a fragrance of great character.

joey86's avatar
    joey86
    Malaysia Malaysia

Azzaro Twin for Men by Azzaro

How should i start with this hmmm

This scent dosent really stand out at all. It smells like what happens when you crush berries on your teak floor. The opening note suggests strongly of either blueberry or strawberry but i was quite surprised to find that it was green apple. But at the same time the top note smells exactly like 1 thing: a tube of fruity mentos candy. It's sweet, cloying and highly forgettable. It dries down to a woody accord.

I dont find it manly at all. If you want to smell like candy, go for this. Definitely not a turn on unless you're the type that goes for Joop! and Paco Rabone's Black XS and 1 Million.

annelise's avatar
    annelise

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

Where oh where has the original gone? It was magical. Our loss.

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I bought this blind (i know, dim of me) after reading it described as "beautiful". Dont get me wrong, its all down to personal opinion and i totally respect that, but to me this is totally rancid! The strongest cologne i have ever encountered. The first (and only) time i offended a room of seven people to the point where i might as well have called them a bunch of c***s!!

If you like more subtle fragrances, DO NOT buy this... even the smallest amount could give you a really bad head ache.

Pi by Givenchy

I really tried to like this, i still do want to like it, but whenever i wear it i feel "sticky" almost... It's totally imaginary obviously but its like ive been dunked in honey... Im sure you'll love it if you like sweet fragrances though. It does last a long time.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Wow, this ones amazing! one of my very favourites! Definately for Autumn/Winter. It has a definate "christmassy" feel to it.
    Only problem is it doesn't last very long on me, but very few colognes do!

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Absolutely gorgeous! Up there with my favourites, its one of the only fragrances where i can pick out every listed note perfectly as it dries down... It doesnt seem to last long, but its very subtle and i think maybe your nose gets used to the scent after a while.

It may not be "cutting edge" but i really don't care, its beautiful!

newbie33's avatar
    newbie33

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

this was expensive but well worth it, like any fragrance, you should try this in a few different situations.i find it works best when your body is warm and it dissapears when the aircon comes on.this is very distinctive in smell, and smells nothing like cool water (although i thought it smelt similar to cool water in the smaple vial i bought.i find one spray on my chest and 2 walk through sprays lasts until dinnertime when another application of 2 walk throughs will carry you through the day without offending anyone.everyone should have this however expensive, and i guarantee you'll look at all your other favs and pick your black bottle up everytime!!!!!!!!!

oscar wilde's avatar
    oscar wilde

Pure Lavande by Azzaro

I found all three of the "Pure" fragrances remaindered at Marshall's, and this one is the most satisfactory. Generally, I don't like vanilla, but the dry down is fairly sophisticated. It reminds me of Jill Sauders for men. It is powdery and sweet, but with an edge. A nice winter fragrance? But the top notes are pure Avon, very strong and no blend at all. But I find myself really liking it after it has settled down.

oscar wilde's avatar
    oscar wilde

D&G La Lune 18 by Dolce & Gabbana

Does this remind anyone of Chanel No.5?

cedriceccentric's avatar
    cedriceccentric
    Belgium Belgium

Magnifique by Lancôme

It's Trésor for a new decade. A very feminine floral heart with a masculine base. Longlasting edp. An everyday scent for every occasion but with a recognizable signature.

If you want something special or "never-smelled-before" look elsewhere. Magnifique is a great commercial scent.

cedriceccentric's avatar
    cedriceccentric
    Belgium Belgium

Wanted by Helena Rubinstein

Wait for 20min and Wanted dries down as Estee Lauders Sensuous without the spice, and Sensuous as a floral is still very nice, if a bit boring.
    Very appealing bottle and packaging too.

Backtable's avatar
    Backtable

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Whoa, Nellie! Word of advice - never apply this stuff if you're traveling commercial carrier. Your flight will divert immediately as the crew tries in vain to locate the source of the insulation fire emanating from the cabin. Seriously, the initial blast of 'essence of styrofoam' is so intense it'll have those around you moving away for fear you've bathed in something potentially carcinogenic.

Having said this, however, within thirty minutes of application an entirely different essence appears; a clean, somewhat powdery dry-down that is as sophisticated as it is elegant. I'll admit it's hard to sit still for the good half hour it takes to burn off the "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" statement this stuff exudes upon application, but for me, its worth it. As someone approaching fifty, I'm a huge fan of 80's power scents and while this isn't the best of them out there, not by far, it's good nonetheless. I would also add that this is definitely a scent best tried before purchased blindly.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Acqua da Toeletta by Piazetta di Portofino

Top: bergamot, petitgrain, basil, rosemary
    Mid: cedarwood, vetiver
    Base: musk, patchouli

I like this scent very much. I’m predisposed to enjoy a Mediterranean blend of citrus, herbs and vetiver. This starts with lovely citrus and light herbal notes. I’ll emphasize that the herbs are really light here. They add a bit of complexity but are not foreground. This is a green-citrus scent at this point. Gradually a marvelous vetiver note emerges. It continues into the dry-down, which has light woods, delicate musk and very restrained patchouli. In other words, there is nothing here to challenge – all is suave, cheerful, even effortless. A feel-good scent, in my opinion.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The opening of Arabie strikes me as a dense, dark, date-laden dessert, spicy, but not especially sweet. The key words here are ‘dark’ and ‘date-laden’. This opening feels rather unwearable to me. However, as it develops the darkness fades and the date dominance recedes. Here it becomes quite pleasant smelling, a possibly wearable gourmand. Certainly not for me, but perhaps for someone else.