Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Santal Impérial by Creed

I am surprised by the high percentage of positives on this one. While I do not loathe Santal Impérial (as I do Creed's Original Santal), there is not much to be excited about here. There is a decent dose of tonka in here coupled with a sandalwood note. The fragrance is extremely subtle and discreet, staying very close to the skin. I don't find it to be an unpleasant fragrance, just uninteresting. I give it a neutral rating on smell and would say that there are better sandalwood options at more reasonable prices.

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque

For me, the opening combines zesty and sweet aspects of orange. At first, it felt very synthetic, reminding me of the smell of orange baby aspirin, but with subsequent wearings, that impression went away. I don't get a celery note, per se, and I am aware of that note in other scents (e.g., Bond no 9, Wall Street). I do get the impression of a measure of saltiness. I am not sure what that comes from. The notes, per Luckyscent are as follows:

bitter orange, mandarin, lemon, petitgrain, aromatic herbs, red thyme, rosemary, peppermint, everlasting flower [immortelle], cedarwood, white musk

I really don't tune into peppermint, immortelle or really much of anything herbal. I suppose my impression of saltiness (and others of celery) is from the herbal accords.

This is not my citrus of choice, but I don't think it is a bad scent at all. I am giving it a thumbs up.

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

I tried this based on name alone and on a first wearing it was rather disappointing. The opening struck me as plasticky and floral; I really didn't catch the lime or cedar and washed it off before I could develop a full impression of the drydown. Subsequently I went to Jo Malone's website and read that the designer's inspiration for Sweet Lime and Cedar was Thai cuisine. With that, I gave it another shot. Again, I found the opening to be plasticky and floral, but I could detect the lime and the heat and the suggestion of Thai cuisine was helpful. Now I would still say the opening was cluttered by florals. The lime stays a good while, the florals dissipate and I get the cedar clearly. At this point the scent matches what my olfactory imagination hoped for: a pleasant base with cedar, touched by lime still. So the opening gets a thumbs down, the base a thumbs up and I will score the fragrance overall with a neutral rating. Definitely not worth it to me to endure the opening, but perhaps it will work on others.

An additional observation: per the current Jo Malone web page, spearmint and nutmeg are not listed in the notes.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 19th September, 2009)

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Coeur de Fleur by Miller Harris

The opening is really charming, rich bright and so floral that remind me Renoir vases. but in time it get sour acidic and in just one hour it becomes a banal scent which reminds these lemon bergamot aftershaves of eighties.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05th October, 2009)

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Coeur d'Ete by Miller Harris

This is a powdery frag more than floral, just baby powder or baby oil like scentsivity mentioned; Probably due to the banana factor.
    This is feminine more than masculine but it is so strange to tag this one after tagging a floral like coeur de fleur as unisex.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05th October, 2009)

Sugandaraja's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

The top notes have a sweet, creamy-citrus quality that segues into a more interesting drydown of frankincense, cedar and amber. A more vanillic quality is apparent deep in the base, but in general this remains a simple, dry amber once the sweetness of the top notes departs.

I think L'Air is a fragrance that gains tremendously from subtle use. A heavy application and this can be unpleasantly blunt and tarry, with a rather off-smelling citrus at the start, but applied sparingly and the effect is much more pleasing and refined.

If I was going to spring for a niche amber this wouldn't be it, but it's very wearable and rightly popular.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Private Collection - Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale

I find this to be a beautiful scent - it reminds of dry grass on a warm summer evening. It's not much more complicated than that to my nose, but it captures a memory of a certain time and place perfectly for me.

Zut's avatar

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

I bought Agua Lavanda in the wicker-wrapped bottle back in the 80's. I loved this great classic. Of course, it was somewhat old-fashioned but who cares. I smelled wonderful in it. It used to be my summer fragrance. I miss it...

SirSlarty's avatar

Stetson Black by Stetson

I think this stuff is strange. It's a conglomorate of other popular colognes. Like Gucci II pH, Fahrenheit, even some traces of Le Male. Really weird I was very briefly and vaguely reminded of these. Odd spices on top and could be "violet leaf" instead of what's listed here. Weird leather drydown, almost fruity and brash. Like Kiton Black which is smoother. I't s OK, I don't hate it but I'm quite confused by the fragrance's execution on my skin.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

What can I say about SMW? It's beautifully done. Best worn in fall/winter weather or spring IMO! It last all day but extremely close 2 the skin. The tea note is wonderful! I love scents like this, but I also love my scents to project enough that others will say gosh, u smell great! Nevertheless a really nice fragrance especially when it starts to dry down!

miguelito_bh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Pi by Givenchy

Spectacular ...
    I feel the same power of Body Kouros without eucalyptus and incense, exactly what bothered me sometimes. Sweeter than Body, but very elegant at the same time.
    The perfect mix between sweet and woods producing a wonderful smell.
    REMEMBER: JUST DON´T OVERSPRAY, PLEASE!

I loved... Thumbs Up!

illyria's avatar

Vintage Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio

I love this one! The combination of a warm rose with a deep plum note is just intoxicating. And it lasts for ages. This is one of those 'can still smell it in the morning' scents, and I'm always happy to do so.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th November, 2009)

L'Aventurier's avatar

Homage Attar by Amouage

This is a fantastic fragrance that smells like citrusy roses over a base of white musk and some woods. On the other hand, despite how good it is, I don't agree at all with the price point. For a fragrance that isn't flawless, 350$ US is just ridiculous. (I have issues with the opening blast of synthetic aldehydes, which is just way too sharp and tangy, and the use of a cheap-smelling white musk in the base).

Pricing and over-analytical criticisms aside though, I'd love to own a bottle of Homage.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2010)

brrrry's avatar

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

Not too bad. I had orginally sampled after washing with a scented body wash. This (of course) threw off the test. Second test was much better and I can actually get the incense and myrrh this time. Dry down reminds me a little bit of Safari. Pretty good stuff and I find the sillage to be above average.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2009)

vintage*red's avatar

Coco by Chanel

Coco is one smart lady! After her initial slug of aldehydes gets your attention, Coco manages to be refined and elegant. She is spicy but not too warm; she is bright but not too arrogant. She goes everywhere with ease and grace. Although she is related to No 5, she has a shine all of her own. I can detect a bit of fruit, a bit of clove, a bit of flowers but no one scent takes center stage. And the sandalwood is of a fine quality that I have missed for decades. I always loved sandalwood, the kind that came close to smelling like dirt but pulled back just in time. I never tried Coco before because I was afraid that she was a loud 80's sort of girl. She's not. PS The pure parfum (too fruity for me) is not at all like the edp.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 04th October, 2009)

Bardfield's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Nice bottle shame about the fragrance.
    This does nothing for me at all. Mojito's I like to drink but not to smell of, but even if I did want to smell of them; I would want the smell to last longer than it takes me to drink a Mojito.
    The mid and base notes are insipid and have no staying power on me, gone in less than 2 hours.
    Oh, well the bottle looks nice on my shelf.

Bardfield's avatar

Superworldunknown by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Bought a 9g spray of this based on a high rating by Luca Turin.
    All I can say is he got it wrong this time, this is hideous. It starts off smelling like something you would clean a toilet with then it slowly changes into a smell that reminds me of when I worked in a sweet factory making Dolly Mixtures. I can only assume that Dolly Mixtures and this share a common ingredient. Avoid unless you want to smell of a toilet cleaner in a Dolly Mixture factory.

pinkmimosa's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This one smells like a freshly popped Dr. Pepper. I love all Lolita Lempicka ones I've tried. They are high quality and long lasting.

10th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th November, 2009)

PorkFat's avatar

Private Collection - Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale

Dried fish, sour greens, dry AND sweet (how the heck is that even possible?)? I don't know what previous reviewers were smelling but Bois Blond was not it.
    This is one of my favorites. It reminds me of braided sweet grass used in shamanistic rituals by Native Americans.
    Fresh cut hay is a predominate note in this followed by tobacco, wood and amber.
    It really pushes the boundaries of what a fragrance should be. It introduces those willing to break free from their fragrance bonds of what a "normal" fragrance is to a very unique and nostalgic trip back to the days of walking parched grassy fields on a hot Summer day.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Ditto what the earlier reviewers said about the notes; they are rather distinctive and decipherable, making Grey Flannel one of the easily recognisable scents. Nothing remotely dated about it either. If I didn't know the production history I would never, not in a million years, have guessed it to be a product of the '70s. This is truly an amazing, groundbreaking scent which will make a fine addition to any gentleman's wardrobe. I hope it will never be discontinued.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

'noir' - French for 'black'. Also related to the 'dark solemn mood' lighting used by film-makers in the 1940s.

With a name like 'Jasmin Noir', I would be forgiven for expecting a dark, deep and rather heady jasmine scent that conveys all these known associations with the word 'noir'. Instead all I got was a warm floral done in the typical Bulgari style: ephemeral and fleeting. Not that this is necesarily bad as it does make the scent eminently more versatile and wearable. My fiancee likes it. But someone looking for a more seductive and mysterious take on the jasmine signature would do better with Guerlain's Samsara. It is a pity really as I was tempted to buy Jasmin Noir for the gorgeous bottle alone.

Klont's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I Actually bought this on accident.
    In the perfume shop I was in a rush an didn't notice the woman getting the wrong one. How could I know there was a "Gucci Pour Homme" and a "Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme"??

When I got home I was horrified, especially when you compare this to "Pour Homme" it is a very dull scent. As someone else said it is very generic and I can't imagine why one would by this scent.

The reason I sound very negative is because scents like these are not for me, but even if this is your cup of tea I still think it is too generic to stand out from the others in any way.
    I haven't tested longevity because when i sprayed it on my arm I washed it off very quickly because it really didn't appeal to me.

jelly_for_jesus's avatar

Black Diamond by Canali

A beautiful smooth fragrance that is perfect for the evening. The citrus smells top off the first blast but they are not too strong. They soon die down to a rich but very settled male fragrance which is perfect for evening wear (nice formal stuff). I like!

jelly_for_jesus's avatar

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

I would love to give a very detailed and intelligent review to this fragrance and why I feel this way about it. I can't. Instead I just have to say it smells like ass. I think it's perhaps just me so don't let that put you off trying it. But it does smell like a mix between card board (seriously!) and a fruit bowl. Not for me.

kickling's avatar

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

I just received this one, and a week ago I also bought Versace Pour Homme. On first spray, Altitude comes out very sweet, then when settling down it is a great smelling aquatic with a small fraction of the sweetness remaining. it's not too strong, but still noticable. To me, it's a sweeter version of Versace Pour Homme ... or I could say that Versace Pour Homme is a spicier/herb version of Davidoff Altitude! In addition Altitude has some aquatic characteristics of Perry Ellis 360' Red as well.

I would probably not have bought Versace Pour Homme if I had bought this first ... Altitude has slightly better longevity, and I personally like the added sweetness.

As everyone else is suggesting, this is a good one. I would buy this over other aquatics if you're trying to decide on one.

kickling's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Eau d'Été Summer Edition by Issey Miyake

The original L'Eau is a staple for many of us, so how does this year's Summer version shape up? It's not Summer here in Australia yet, but I am hoping that it's going to be a hit.

Anyhow, today is my first day wearing it ... I sprayed it on 3 hours ago, and I am a little disappointed. First off, I own the orignal L'Eau and I can immediately smell similarities ... in fact, it smells the same except with a coat of citrus peel / lime blast upon first spray. Some might say it's a bit more 'alcoholic' but it's definitely the citrus. With the original L'eau it lasts all day on me, only needing a few sprays. Unfortunately with this Summer edition, I sprayed about 8 times and now I am sitting here with about 15% noticable smell, only 3 hours later!

I hope that during the heat of Summer the fragrance well get "re-energized" throughout the day and start smelling-up again on my skin, but for now I will suggest that the original is much much better (maybe i'll change my mind in Summer). Don't expect the same longevity if you decide to buy this ... cool bottle, and the smell isn't bad but the original will always be favoured.

Quequeg's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

This begins with a sharp, almost acrid, metallic scent with a background of bananas and perhaps chocolate. It then develops into something quite different that is musky, slightly woody with a hint of sweetness. The fragrance is exotic, masculine, complex, long-lasting and unlike the majority of the currently popular light citrus/aquatic scents. Wearing this will distinguish you from the masses but it may not be for everyone. Try before you buy. A wonderful fragrance if it suits you.

scentista's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

I first caught a whiff of a guy wearing Aramis five minutes before he came into sight. The scent says one thing to me Lounge Lizard. It is soooo overpowering. Gives me a headache before I see who's wearing it. DISGUSTING!!!

annelise's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Only when you are no longer flipping your hair and giggling are you are ready to try this.

Wisdom, mystery, experience...the whisper of an ancient secret. Never gave up red lipstick? Read Nabokov, Fitzgerald and David Mitchell? Never mistake Monet for Manet? Lulu's bob, Gershwin as well as Bach, tannin heavy reds, martinis made with gin.

Elusive, yet opinionated, A distinctive murmur. A classic.

Panic's avatar

Chance by Chanel

I found it to be kind of generic. My aunt gave a bottle of this to me that she'd received as a gift and claimed that it didn't work on her. It doesn't really work on me, either. In the end, it's a little bit blah.