Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Panic's avatar

Jaguar Woman by Jaguar

I'd been searching for a new fragrance, and in particular I wanted something that nobody else really wore. I found it in Jaguar Woman. (It helped that I got it with a promotion that gave me a free umbrella with the purchase!) The fragrance starts out nicely enough; nothing too outstanding, and the middle notes cling for a little longer. However, the base notes are what really enchant me. The white musk, amber and sandalwood really blend to make a smooth, rich fragrance that's somehow light, and clean, too. I only wish that it was slightly easier to find (very, very difficult), and that it put off more of a sillage, especially once the base notes really develop. It stays pretty close to the skin, in my opinion, and once the base notes fully develop, they fade a little too quickly for my preference. But when I'm wearing it, I can't help but keep sniffing at my wrist or elbow, and it's the only perfume I've ever worn that received a compliment from anyone other than my husband.

10th September, 2009

jill500's avatar

Jessica McClintock by Jessica McClintock

Smells just like lilly of the valley to me, BUT it doesn't last on me.

10th September, 2009

JaimeB's avatar

Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris

This is a very nice green scent with a good supporting base of oakmoss and woodsy notes, notably patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, and birch. The birch here doesn't make a particularly leathery impression. The tangerine in the top will do for bergamot, so I guess this would pass as a woody-green-floral chypre with rose, jasmine and iris doing the heavy lifting for the florals section. There is a touch of incense in this, which is due to the resinous quality of rosemary; any maker of church incense knows that you can atone for inferior frankincense by adding a little good rosemary oil into the mix. Galbanum, grass, and rosemary are a good green note here, with just enough of a hint of dissonance between the dense rosemary and the slightly sharp-and-sour grass note.

kreil's avatar

Marquis by Anglia Perfumery

I really like this scent (the original from Crown Perfumery).

I have asked for a sample from Anglia Perfumery, and was wondering whether it's just me thinking that this smells quite different. So I got a fresh "sample vial" of Crown Perfumery Marquis and a fresh "sample vial" of Anglia Perfumery Marquis, put some drops of one on the left, and some of the other on the right hand. I tested this with a number of people and, invariably, everyone notices a difference, and everyone prefers the Crown Perfumery version.
    To me, the Anglia version seems lighter as well as sweeter while being less warm. Generally, it gives a cheaper impression, with somehow unpleasant undertones. I find that hard to describe but while the Crown version has some form of mellow peppery undertone on the dry down the Anglia version is more rubber-powdery.
    So, does anyone know, is this just due to ageing, or do they use a different formula?

Can anyone recommend a perfume similar to the Crown Perfumery Marquis that is still on the market (and at reasonable prices)?

attielattie's avatar

Bleu Marine pour Elle by Pierre Cardin

I've tried this perfume twice now and each time it smells like rancid air freshener, just horrible. I can't describe just how vile it is on my skin - I gave it to my mum and told her that if she doesn't like it, just to bin it.
    I don't know what notes it's supposed to contain but it smells so artificial and cheap. Just yuck I'm afraid.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

Rounded citrus top notes leading to a soft, powdery drydown ( the ambery-sweet base notes somewhat remind me of Shalimar - go figure ). Unexpectedly nice for a masculine on the cheap side. The longevity is disappointingly poor, however.

jathanas's avatar

Armand Basi in Red by Armand Basi

This is an impressive fragrance suitable for all occassions.

The citrus opening notes are zesty and fresh without seeming synthetic or sharp. The heart is floral but never too sweet or indolic, resting on a base of clean woods and muscs. I purchased this for my wife prior to becoming a basenoter but I can still see the charm in this underrated beauty.

Longevity is great, thums up.

jathanas's avatar

Armand Basi in Blue by Armand Basi

I can't give it a thumbs down as I've smelled much worse. Freash clean opening over a generic woodsy base.

No where near as beautiful as Armand Bassi in Red.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Definitely a classic! I tried both the EdP and the EdT and decided to settle for the EdT, which I find quite unisex. The EdP is a masculine to my nose. Great sillage and longevity.

Patchouli by Molinard

For many years, I hated patchouli, and still dislike it in some gourmand forms (as in Angel, for example). Molinard's rendition is quite linear, with a faint scent of dark (bitter) chocolate. I find it comforting and enjoy wearing. But I enjoy even more getting a whiff of it on a scarf several days after having worn it. I can then get the earthy side of patchouli, the side that made me like patchouli. Overall, a nice fragrance that I would recommend to patchouli newcomers.

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Got a sample of this fragrance and I have to admit that the name is misleading: I do get the 'piment' side - and, yes, it is bell pepper!-, but the 'brûlant' does not appear at all. No chocolate either, I am afraid. However, the fresh and slightly sweet notes that linger on my skin are quite pleasant. The bell pepper is there, in the background, just to make the fragrance interesting. Fresh, pleasant and with a twist, but it does not live to my expectations.

Tony T's avatar

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

longer lasting, and a bit more citrus than the original.this should not be a limited edition. great stuff here,but mt buddy at work bathes in it so i can barely wear it.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Scandal by Lanvin

I don't know how, but I managed to nab a 1930's coffret of four Lanvin minis, late one night on Ebay for under $40. It seems as though the bottle of My Sin was missing form the set and had been replaced along the way with a second bottle of Scandal, so that there were 2 bottles of Scandal, I bottle of Arpege and 1 bottle of Rumeur. That was fine with me since I already had a full sized vintage bottle of MY Sin. Now, let me tell you that vintage Scandal deserves every positive review it has received here. I thought Chanel's Cuir de Russie was the ultimate leather scent, but Scandal has now taken over that position in my mind. While I think Cuir de Russie is amazing Scandal is the most realistic leather scent I've experienced to date. It's also mildly sweeter and less harsh than Cuir de Russie can sometimes be. I agree with bbBD that Asha has written the perfect review for Scandal, so all I will add is that this scent is gorgeous from it's smoky opening down to it's soft floral leather drydowwn. This is one classy leather scent and is worth the hunt you're surely going to have to go through to get your hands on it.

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2009)

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Rumeur (original) by Lanvin

This review is for vintage Rumeur. A scent called Rumeur was put out (I can't even use the word "reissued" in this case) a few years ago by Lanvin (or whoever owns the company now) that is absolutely nothing like the original version of Rumeur, which I had been curious about ever since I bought that awful new version from T J Maxx a while back.

I had read elsewhere on the internet that vintage Rumeur was kind of medicinal smelling and heavy on the carnation/clove notes. But what I'm getting is spicy dried ginger note on a bed of very soft and subtle leather and oakmoss. If I didn't know what it was and somone had slipped their wrist up under my nose wearing this, I would swear someone had layered Serge Luten's Ambre Sultan with his Arabie. If you would have told me this was s Serge's newest release I would have believed it. This smells unbelivably contemporary.

I sat up late one night watching the 1930's coffret of 4 Lanvin parfums that this was a part of on ebay because I was after the scent Scandal. However, Rumeur turned out to be the big surprise. The sillage is decent. This is a scent that can be worn by men and women. People keep saying that they can't believe Scandal was discontinued. Well, I can't believe Rumeur was. This scarce scent is highly unusual and should be experienced.

tanto's avatar

Canoé by Dana

This is an old classic that I really like. Yes, it's a powdery scent with some citrus. It's sweet but the dry down is real pleasant. This is not cloying at all and is never "too much". Actually, based on some of the horrible mens scents of today, this smells real manly and clean, too!

bbBD's avatar

Orchidée Blanc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The name Orchidee Blanc is slightly deceptive in that you'd think it's another white floral. Personally I was expecting it to be something like a precursor to La Chase Aux Papillions. Totally, utterly incorrect. In a marketplace crowded with florals and florientals, OB is a distinguished and unique fragrance. OB is an explosion of different floral notes, all held together with a very lactnoic, creamy background. I'm not particularly adept at identifying specific florals, but there's definitely quite a bit of iris, violet, jasmine, gardenia and lily. The blended florals themselves mix with creamy/honeyed vanilla and a touch of amber. I'm not sophisticated enough to accurately describe it's development, but I can report that the creaminess lasts throughout the composition and that it does become lightly woody as it progresses to its base. For being such a full floriental you'd think that OB would be heavy or cluttered, but the genius of the fragrance is that it's remarkably straightforward and totally easy to wear.

Sadly Orchidee Blanc is both long discontinued and seemingly forgotten. I was lucky enough to have a friend who owned a bottle and introduced me to it. I was even luckier when my friend decided she no longer wanted her bottle. If you happen to be reading this review because you've seen a bottle for sale and you're reading up on it to see if it's worth buying, take my advice and just buy it.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

L'Homme Sage by Divine

The first thought that came into my head was one of being surrounded by a moist, sweet, spicy and bright-white 'dry ice' smoke. The initially smokiness borders on cloying and overwhelming but never goes over the edge.

The blending of the fragrance is very, very good, this makes separating out the individual elements throughout entire duration quite a strain. It's only present to my nose for a short time but I would swear that there's clove. Also there, though for longer, is sweet liquorice and a fruit I can't place for sure (maybe lychee). For the life of me I can't detect sage, yet the fragrance is definitely herbal. I have some fresh tarragon growing in my home and although not a dead ringer there's a definite similarity. If I'm correct about the tarragon it would explain the liquorice smell, as anise is present in both. The strangest smell of all that I believe to be there is that of turpentine.

It's now eight hours after application and L'Homme Sage is still plainly present on the back of my hand. The strong smokiness, which really only lasted for the first hour is long gone. For the remaining time, although still smoky, the fragrance has been much more velvety, with the always present sweet herbal.

I would suggest L’Homme Sage in flash over people’s romantic favourites like Envy or Ghost Man. All too often romantic scents are overly sweet, and although I can wear neither Envy nor Ghost due to an allergic reaction (that causes me to wheeze), it’s L’Homme Sage’s ability to be romantic without the over-sweetness that wins out.

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

JonB's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garçons

After the top notes burn off, there is almost nothing to this scent. A slight soapy character and not much else. I am afraid there is not to much to like or dislike about the frag.

SmellyNinja's avatar

Versace Man by Versace

It took me a long time to warm up to this. The first few times I found it really off-putting...almost reminded me of cigar chopping old granny smell. Very smokey and peppery, with some heavy floral perfume thrown in. The notes just didn't seem to go well together at all. Strangely though, I couldn't deny that I found myself drawn back to it time over the course time, and eventually I started to warm up to it.

It's slightly synthetic; dare I say it's almost trashy - but in an intriguing, alluring way. Imagine a dingy little out-of-the-way, hole-in-the-wall, south-of-the-border cantina/brothel out of a movie; stinking of smoke and cheap perfume. If you're one of those guys that realize that those are the kinds of places you can have a ton of fun at, then this is you're type of scent.

Make no mistake this is an all or nothing, balls to the wall, sexy, bad boy fragrance and it makes no apologies for being so. It's not subtle in the least, so don't plan on wearing it to work or for out for beers with the boys, but it's right at home in a dark club when you're on the prowl.

Not for everyone, but give it a try and if you don't like it just put it back on the shelf and come back to it when you feel ready. Though not a mature scent, it's probably not something a young person could pull off. It's a good one to have in your collection, but buy the small bottle because it's probably not something you're going to wear all that often (unless of course you go to cheap, smelly cantina brothels all the time - in which case go ahead and buy the big bottle).

Calèche by Hermès

To me this represents the epitome of savoir faire.The balance of diverse components is masterfully restrained, allowing some nuanced accords to bask unfettered through the various phases of Caleche.It retains all the positive attributes of an old fashioned formulation,while still feeling fresh, youthful and vibrant.

The opening is bold,with a host of acidic components vying for the last word in astringency. None are allowed to overwhelm, and it is within this fresh and confident beginning, that the fragrance gathers its momentum. The heart notes are a initially an engaging accompaniment to the opening, then creating potent accords of their own. This floral axis contains wonderfully aromatic notes, using particularly odoriferous elements such as iris, gardenia,lily of the valley and rose. There is plenty of time to enjoy the top and heart notes as these phases are especially long-lived. The base is smooth, slightly sweetened and effortlessly classy. Again the balance is superb, allowing a particularly organic and earthy phase to bring Caleche to its climax. A fragrant nexus of wood and vanilla notes counter the remaining floral notes efficiently, allowing this long-lived phase to be enjoyed for several hours. This fragrance was an absolute pleasure to review, and will remain in my memory for some time.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

A very unsatisfying blend of ingredients that never fails to jar and perplex.The typically blue juice opening, with aquatic pretensions and little finesse, is clumsy, shallow and derivative.Even amongst the general theme of mediocrity, there is an accord in the dry down that is truly woeful. A demented fusion of musk,tarragon and sage, which in full flow is almost unwearable. The base is too thin and insignificant for comment, capping a truly deplorable effort from Versace.

Armani Attitude Extreme by Giorgio Armani

The only extreme that is encountered is in the opening, its very soapy and unpleasantly acidic.Beyond the brash opening is an enormous expanse of amber and vague woody elements that have not evolution at all. It certainly is not very long-lived, fading quickly from my skin and memory inside a few hours. This is a very poor effort, with almost nothing to commend it.

athenahelen's avatar

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Eau De Rochas is a beautiful summery scent. Initially, when I sprayed it on the first 2 times, I didn't like it as the patchouli was too strong. When I continue to use the scent once or twice a week, the patchouli doesn;'t come across so strongly anymore. I see the rich harmonising of the citrus with the patchouli. Eau De Rochas is richer than O' de Lancome which is another scent I wear. I start to like Eau de Rochas more than O'de Lancome. Also, Eau De Rochas is nicer than Eau Sauvage, another scent I wear. Eau Sauvage has a 'male' drydown - it is a masculine scent. I live in the tropics and I wear

Eau de Rochas at least once a week to work. It has great longevity and lasts more than 8 hours. Also, I managed to get it cheap at one of the stores I frequent...imagine 100 ml tester for only US$8. So, I have stocked up on this...such a great buy! :-))

jamin4gt's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Nice Fragrance for winter.

Arpège by Lanvin

Curious as to how a 1927 fragrance survived to this day, I got hold of ARPEGE. My curiosity quickly turned to surprise and then disappointment. Perhaps the sample had gone 'bad' but the scent felt rather masculine and reminded me of the ubiquitous prayer attar used by Muslim men. While the drydown is pleasant enough it can't seem to shake off the dowdy character. Nonetheless I would take this review with a healthy pinch of salt as earlier reviewers have highlighted the poorer notes coming from the smaller samples. As it stands this classic deserves a neutral at best. At least until I get hold of a larger sample.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

It's hard to ignore the hype surrounding this scent so it was with great expectations that I sampled Green Irish Tweed. And walked away disappointed. Sure, there are similarities to Cool Water which compels me to ask myself, "Why don't I just get the Davidoff and spend the rest on a scent from another niche house?" Makes perfect sense to me. I would have given this overhyped and overpriced scent a 'Neutral' but an irritating headache-inducing astringent note similar to what I experienced with CK's Eternity pushed it over the edge. Fellow Basenoters will agree with me that there are much better fragrances from Creed.

Story by Paul Smith

Don't let the poor sillage and longevity stop you; STORY is easily wearable. So go ahead and go crazy with this one. The first time I tried it the grapefruit in the top notes kicked like a mule. But a second wearing quickly unveiled a green heart which is nothing like the astringent pine note in Bowling Green. Rather it is softer, with perhaps a touch of floral that reminds me of my time in the military, lying in concealment among dew-covered ferns and leaves, waiting to ambush the enemy troops. Just before the crack of dawn. But that's another story...

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Powdery pseudo-floral with more than a hint of the exotic, boasting decent sillage and longevity. This is a fine creation from Olivier Polge, one that will find fans among both men and women. More power to Kenzo!

aktp-iciook's avatar

Black Jeans by Versace

Hi there :)

Just bought this fragrance after reading positive reviews on this page. I have to admit that I will regret if I did not buy one. The smell is so nice and stylish. Its drydown peaks my impression leaving the longevity delightful.

Love it ^.^ All in all, Black jeans is affordable with nice tin and well-designed bottle by Gianni Versace himself too.

Cheers,

perfumeperfection's avatar

Around Midnight by Mark Buxton

I think the proper name of this stuff is "round midnight"? Oh, actually checking the luckyscent site it's indeed around. I thought it was named after that film... about the jazzer... although that doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it.

So I am the first to review it!

Well, I recently came to the end of my bottle of CdG Avignon. Simple matter, right? One replaces the bottle! Well... not after testing "Around Midnight" which is not as strong as Avignon but it's soooo wearable, so seductive...And the price point is about the same ml for ml.

I asked the sales person "are these temp labels on the bottles?" and immediately felt self conscious for having essentially critiqued the packaging. The sales person told me however to turn the bottle around. The reason the actual name of the fragrance looks. . . a bit on the crappy side... is that the bottle is meant to be displayed in your perfume den turned the other way around. The other side ot the label is where the pretty graphics are to be found, which you look at through the liquid. So the ugly label that bears the name is lackluster on purpose, leading one to turn the bottle round. Clever and I feel rather comme des garcons qu'ils font so to speak for having picked up on this strategy myself!