Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

knit at nite's avatar

Oxygène by Lanvin

I'm new and my nose in't highly developed (yet:) but as a user of other Lanvin scents, and based on positive review (by fortidus in particular) I tried Oxygene. It was light and feminine without being cloying, particularly fresh when tested on paper. Was disappointed when I tested it on my skin and smelled a residue of a chemical- type odor which actually developed into a metallic taste in my mouth. Never had that happen before- this scent is apparently, not for me, but would be lovely on someone with compatible chemistry.

knit at nite's avatar

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

When I tried Covet I took the advice of another reviewer who said to wait 15 minutes before rendering an opinion. The first test spray on paper was immediately intense, but not unpleasant. Didn't call to mind any other fragance I've tried. But the fragrance seemed to get even stronger with an intense synthetic- type odor- dare I say, a plasticy stink. Even after 45 minutes, I could not bring myself to put nose to card. Covet was a bust for me. Too bad, because it is reasonably price and has definate staying power. I'm just afraid that the scent will stay and the other folks in the room will leave.

EJFudd's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Cue in I Dream of Jeannie Music....

This one definitely goes on like Jeannie's raven haired mischievous sister on a good day...a slightly musky, disco ball, gold chain wearing, sickly smelling concoction that revs you up for a night with that groovy goddess (after all who cares about Jeannie...she's so boring).

During the dry drown, Jeannie wins out and the musk mostly fades out into a gloriously calm vanilla cinnamon with hints of clove. Yet, there is something slightly sinister underneath... a kind of I Dream Of Jeannie sister winner take all steel cage match that goes on all day.

The staying power is ridiculous...after 3 sprays and a shower I still had this scent with me the next morning.

Unforgettable.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I saw someone say it smelled like fly spray, and i can't say i disagreed! I was so excited when i first got it, but dissapointed at first results. I have been wearing it for a few days and now I am confident in saying I like it a LOT. it wears pretty close to my skin and i have to spray a bit to get decent projection, but it leaves a clean and pleasant fruity smell that I have come to enjoy. Don't think i'll buy a new bottle but the 2.5 oz edt should last quit a while :D

Polo by Ralph Lauren

mmmm :D used to hate this freshman year when my dad would wear it, but after trying it myself recently, I realized not only does it smell great (pine, woods, aka my fave ha), evolve, and last long, but it also projects!! I'm normally the type of guy who likes a balanced smell that stays relatively close to the skin, but on occasion i wanna stun, so i bring out the pros, Polo and Abercrombie haha.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Ahh love this one, started using it a couple years ago and i still love the way it works! Yes, you get the comments of, "you smell like abercrombie," but who cares if people still love it and you smell good!!! pretty good longevity and good enough projection to get noticed! Citrus yet woodsy at the same time kinda like my personality! lol.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Delicious, just awesome. The first time i bought this, I just couldn't stop smelling myself and I would often spray WAY too much. Opens up with a fresh citrus smell that is to be expected, but quickly evolves into a delicious vanilla/coffee/powder infused cocktail. Love it, and is a cologne that has drawn compliments when worn by me. Only complaint is that it has horrid longevity and the projection could be better. Other than that, one of the best scents I've ever possessed.

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

I liked it. got a sampler of it as a stocking gift for Xmas. It is pretty forgettable, and it probably wouldn't be my first choice on a date or social event, etc. but not bad for what it is. I can't really put my finger on the opening, but all i know is it smells the same in the drydown. Uneventful, so buy it if you're looking for something decent and a good value.

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

I'm going to have to agree with the general feel on this cologne. Nice at first with a pleasant fruit/coffee infused note, but then it settles down....WAY too much. to the point where you can no longer detect it. Nice in a pinch but save yourself the $$$ for some better stuff.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

sigh. I want to love this scent...I really want to. Disregard my first review. This scent smells delicious. A prfect balance of florals and cocoa. I love it. Would be a perfect five stars if it lasted longer than 1 hour. All in all, I'd love for this to be my staple fragrance, but I have to rate it on its own merits. No lasting power makes this a week addition to my collection. Still thumbs up for the awesome scent....

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2009)

McGraw by Tim McGraw

very woody, linear scent. Nothing special. I can't say it smells bad, and for the price of $10 per oz. i'd say it's worth investigating. Keep in mind this will never be the STAPLE of your collection, but it should be a good filler so you don't motor through your good stuff. If this were priced any higher, I wouldn't bother, but it smells pretty good for $10.

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 September, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

I have completely revised my review and given the scent an upgrade. I like it a lot.
    It’s hard to find its fragrance notes. One source lists citrus, aromatics, spices, greens and woods. Another lists citrus, lavender, spices, amber and oakmoss. It is probably best classified as a fougere.
    It is very green, dry and aromatic. At times I get lavender distinctly, other times not. Certainly there is a grassy, coumarin-hay note. Pepper and clove are among the spices, and these give a cool, minty-air note… and a real barbershop vibe. A salty, mossy note develops. At times this is like tarragon or even celery leaves; at other times it is a bit tangy like patchouli. The moss gets a bit bigger but I don’t find it problematic or heavy. The dry-down is very nice, salty-mossy and satisfying.

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Moods Uomo by Krizia

Moods is the smoothest fragrance I own. What a beautiful scent this is. Tobacco, rose, leather and patchouli are blended seamlessly into an accord that is so velvety and warm, I feel like I could drink a glass of Moods.

Rose and patchouli is my favorite fragrance accord, and no masculine fragrance I know of does it as beautifully as Moods. The addition of tobacco and leather only enhances an already enchanting composition.

Moods is also nice and strong, but not overpowering. It's an 80s powerhouse, but it's less aggressive than most other macho 80's fragrances. Moods represents suave, well-dressed masculinity in a bottle.

A masterpiece that should never have been discontinued.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 June, 2011)

vonMises's avatar

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

I will always keep an extra bottle of this on hand. It is wonderfully unique and perfectly balanced, nuanced, and suitable for just about any occasion. The success is in the application, though. It takes less than you'd think, and, no, it does not scream out its presence. But it is there, and serving finely.

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 March, 2014)

Alicka61's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Narcisse Noir by Caron

I don't understand the concept of this reformulation. The only impression I have had is a woman emerging from the ancient times (let's say the 17th or 18th century) suffering incontinence and not liking to have shower on frequent basis. Sorry but this one I wouldn't wear even if I was paid for it. I have never had a chance to try the original version but the reformulation is awful and disastrous. God save us.

odysseusm's avatar

Neil Morris for Takashimaya New York by Takashimaya

Top: Black Currant, Mandarin, Bergamot, Aldehydes
    Heart: Plum Blossom, Jasmine Tea, Japanese Cherry Blossom, Bamboo, Dossinia Orchid, Narcissus
    Base: Cedar, Oak, Tonka, Orris, Oud
    Takasimaya opens with tangy bergamot and juicy dark berries. This is very good fruit: it is very fresh, not heavy, good enough to eat and lovely to wear. This softens into a blossom cloud, which quickly deepens into a most interesting incense note. Is it sad or merely introspective? I wish that note stayed longer. The oud is quite lovely, not medicinal in any way. But like clouds on a sunny day, the scent clouds part, and there is a bright sappy-green bamboo note. The scent ends on a somewhat sweet aldehydic and bright iris-floral note, I don’t get any of the woods.

scentsitivity's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

I am a bit surprised by how positively this has been reviewed here. Cinnamon-apples over a too sweet woody base. I do not like this.

Sugandaraja's avatar

LP No. 9 by Penhaligon's

Not quite sure if the classification fits, but this fragrance strikes me as a feminine take on the classic fougère accord. The top notes are clearly detectable but blend nicely, the lavender taking a slight back seat to the lemon and tarragon, the latter lending its herbal tinge to the heart as the powdery floral notes emerge in the drydown. The florals remind me of rose talc with a dash of clove and jasmine. The base is softly vanillic and a little creamy.

The sillage is quite low, but this is very persistent on my skin.

bokaba's avatar

No. 74 Victorian Lime by Taylor of Old Bond Street

Begins with an old fashioned accord of rich lime oil and progresses to a slightly floral heart of fuschia and rose. Base notes are leather, musk, and moss.

12 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

Ponn Farr by Star Trek

Aquatic fruits and florals. I get mostly peaches and berries. Really interesting and not half-bad. Good thing this is light because on Vulcan the atmosphere is brutal! Smell good and prosper.

SirSlarty's avatar

Red Shirt by Star Trek

Red Shirt is kinda strange at first. Starts of crisp and clean but gets a very fruity leather and musk in the end. Seems to go from bad to worse in a way! I rather like the whole concept here. It's not a very complex scent but the stages it goes through before it dies gives it character. NOw this stuff isn't truly amazing or wonderful and it has very low-key quality ingredients but for a clever marketing gimmick, it's very humorous. I'll gladly wear this with my "Ensign Expendable" red shirt on!

Bigsly's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Synthetic green/lavender headache in a bottle. Need one say more? Seriously, this is one of the fragrances that I dislike the most. Because of that I can only provide a brief review (I can only stand it for short periods of time). Corinto Rouge is similar to this, perhaps less green and more "soapy." Eternity scores especially low on naturalness and balance, though I'd guess it has powerful longevity and sillage.

tanto's avatar

Life Essence by Fendi

Horrible! This was sold as a mens frag but it was too feminine. Even for a woman this frag is horrible. It has zero appeal to it. No loss here being it was discontinued. Fendi did the right thing!!

glitteralex's avatar

Ghost by Ghost

This perfume was such a surprise to me- like many others, I had confused it with the Coty Ghost line. How wrong I was! This is a complex and surprising perfume-a real sleeper. The initial burst of fresh rose and ambrette spiciness is refreshing and pleasant. [I sprayed Lolita Lempicka original EdT simultaneously to see how the two compare in their common, generous use of ambrette-at one point 10 minutes in, the two were nearly identical on the skin. Of course, the LL is much more piercing in its sweetness and its spice, but Ghost really approximates this just as the heart notes are coming in.] I like very much how traditional "Base" notes such as Sandalwood & Incense emerge early on, giving one the impression that the fragrance has closed the curtain...but, an encore! An hour in, a delicious and full vanilla-inspired base appears. Musk plays a minor role, and the apricot and vanilla combine beautifully to create an aroma eerily similar to the top notes of Amour by Kenzo- as a matter of fact, my daughter thought the Ghost drydown was Amour. 8 hours later, those 2 sprays of Ghost are still with me. This is a unique perfume in that it manages to possess superb longevity but to maintain a discreet sillage throughout.

Redbeard's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

I'm one of those that like Weekend, in spite of its weakness. And because of this weakness/lightness, I'm really shocked that so many people could find it so terrible, as opposed to just generic. It's like a subtle but expensive lemon soap, very natural-smelling, that leaves a light green skin musk afterwards, with a drop of honey. It's really calming to use like an Eau de Cologne on the hottest days, and I think it would be very hard to overspray this stuff. I'd place it in the same family as the ever popular Live Jazz (i.e. unsweet citrus with herbs and greenery for the base) but it's less heavy on the herbs. Thus, Weekend might be good if you can't take the cilantro in Live Jazz. Or you might even think of it as a lemon counterpart to Eau d'Orange Verte. I've been on a recent body wash kick, and Weekend's is very refreshing...it "translated" better into the body wash than many of the others that I bought. Overall, Weekend has an old-fashioned EdC-like feel to me, but not the odd and archaic sense that some of the really old EdCs (Caswell-Massey #6) give me. It's among the more "english gentlemanly" of its type among the recent ones, but still feels contemporary.

Redbeard's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

London was one of my early favorites, and it has stayed among the top contenders throughout my sniffings of countless other designer brands, so it merits an extra-long review. It's woody and sweet with moderate spices, like so many others, but it's a unique sappy, leafy wood, like you're smelling the tiny nascent leaves sprouting out of a tree branch. It's especially so in the top notes, but I even find it somewhat from smelling the basenote residue in the bottle cap. People talk about the port wine note, and I might say it reminds me more of sherry or marsala than port, but there is definitely a fortified-wine component. I think it adds a mellow, calming presence to an already gentle scent. There's something close to milk-chocolateyness in the top, but not exactly...it's more honeyed, like the flavor of Sixlets, the chocolate-like candies that I had a brief but passionate love affair with during childhood. Or of the faux-chocolate carob chips that you see at health food stores. But there's not nearly enough of this component to make London a real gourmand scent. (Zirh Corduroy is related but a little more desserty if you like that sort of thing. Also excellent.)

To me, London feels extremely natural, and it conjures up dry woods...not dry in the opposite-of-sweet sense, but the image of trees growing a dry setting that I remember: the shady, dusty chaparral in a botanical garden near my home in southern california, with its manzanita bushes, live oaks and shrubs. So while I'm sure the pefumer meant to evoke a walk in a wet deciduous (European) forest after a fall or winter rain, I find myself reminded of quite a different place, my own little patch of dry western scrubland, just because of personal memories. The only problem with this stuff is something that it has in common with Obsession, though less so: after the amazing top and middle, the base progresses too far into the territory of "standard vanilla wood because that's what everyone else does". (Still, London's a big notch down on the heaviness meter from Obsession!) Neither of them go so far as to become just a vanilla cliché, but this development always disappoints me a little. Still, London's vibe is so different from other wood scents that I love coming back to it again and again. It's truly rewarding.

vintage*red's avatar

Nahéma by Guerlain

As most makers of potpourri know, one of the best, least expensive ways to achieve a rose scent is to use crushed or bruised rose geranium leaves. And that is precisely what I detect in Nahema. Nothing extraodinary, nothing exotic...just the leaves of this widely grown herb. Having said that, I can only recommend Nahema to scent your home. Once again, I am truly disappointed in Guerlain. This house is in great need of something beautiful or at least something interesting. In the past 25 years, Chanel may have given us Allure (ugh), but Chanel also gave us Cristalle, Coco and the reissue of many of their great, classic scents. Guerlain has given us Samsara (the last incarnation of this used cheap sandalwood which smells unpleasant) and Insolence (cute, but not great). May I take back my Basenotes vote for best perfume house? PS Okay, okay...I tried this again and I liked it. Nahema goes through this brandied rose stage during the drydown which is, well, beautiful. I find this easier to wear than some other rose fragrances, but my favorite rose remains Tocade.

12 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2010)

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Opens with orange zest, pleasant florals, and perhaps a little mint. Doesn’t project too much but lasts well. Wears for the most part as a soapy, light-spicy, citrus and musk fragrance that would be suitable in pleasant weather. Reminds me of Live Jazz (which in my opinion is slightly better).

I couldn’t ever see myself looking at my collection of perfumes and reaching for Uomo if it was amongst them. I can however imagine it being an ok gift for a male under 30, if the shop was out of Live Jazz. It’s really not bad, certainly better than a lot of others in chemists or duty free shops. Really though it’s not great either, nice but boring. If you live somewhere where men don’t wear perfumes you may get the odd compliment, but as that isn’t the case for most it’s unlikely Uomo would ever turn a single head if worn.

Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie

Initially I thought I was smelling moist rolling tobacco but it quickly settled itself as oakmoss with a trace of bergamot. Two minutes in and we arrive at a more velvety Grey Flannel. Thirty minutes later and it turns quite soapy where it remains until it expires some five hours later.

Like Grey Flannel it feels grey/green but rather than damp it’s much wetter and never aggressive. In summing up wet cement powder with oakmoss and soap. Now whilst it may not great, and it isn’t, it’s not terrible either. I wouldn’t turn down a 10ml decant but it would take me a while to use it all.

Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia by Bois 1920

I feel like a joke has been played on me. Never mind gone in 15 minutes, on my skin Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia never appears. I am certain I would project a stronger smell if I simply washed my hands and face with a perfume free soap. At first I thought it was oddly weak but imagined eventually it would come good. An hour later when no trace was left I decided to empty half the vial sample onto the back of my hand. Although I was dripping wet with the stuff still nothing appeared but a lightly fragrant citrusy soap, again gone in under an hour.

I’m tempted to get another sample in case there was a mix up at Luckyscent.com, but you know the old adage “fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." GWB