Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

It's a sweet vanilla tobacco fragrance that has a strong lavender top. Although, the lavender tends to fade quickly so it's left with a vanilla tobacco with a bit of woodsiness. It reminds me of Le Male although it's far more subtle, with less vanilla, more tobacco and no orange blossom. It's very inexpensive and for the price it's definitely an excellent fragrance.

I prefer Le Male because this tends to smell kind of cheap and pretty linear. The sillage is moderate and the longevity is absolutely fantastic. Not great but definitely good.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I tried this one out numerous times and decided not to buy it the several times I was out purchasing fragrances. It tends to be subtle and hard to describe which is why I skipped it a few times over. I eventually bought it and I love the dark marine seaweed and calone note in it as it's very unique and distinguished from other "aquatic fragrances". At first I wasn't so sure I made a great purchase but the more I wore it the more I liked it. This is one of those fragrances that really grows on you and you tend to really appreciate as time passes. The drydown is absolutely fantastic and by far the best part of the fragrance.

The longevity for an aquatic is incredible and lasts 8-10 hours on my skin. The sillage is close to the skin to slightly moderate and the strength of the fragrance doesn't fade or die like many others.

Excellent aqua fragrance.

Although, the sillage is minimal and it's too subtle for me. Sometimes it becomes sour on my skin.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2010)

Guess Man by Guess

This fragrance has the upside of being distinctive from the other department stores in the area that the others tended to go to very aromatic, lighter, ozonic or citrusy notes. It first smells of mostly lavender but has a woodsy background with a faint hint of spice. It quickly dries down to a powdery light woodsy smell with a hint of nutmeg. If the fragrance smelled like it did out of the bottle it would be better but still it's a mediocre fragrance in my eyes.

It's inoffensive and average in all areas of price, sillage, longevity, bottle design and creativity but does not exceed in any area.

Chocolate Chip by Demeter Fragrance Library

This smells exactly like chocolate chip cookies. I was very surprised, it seems to capture the dough, butter, sugar and the chocolate. The longevity isn't very good and the sillage is not that great either, it stays close to the skin.

But as for the fragrance aiming at smelling like chocolate chip cookies it's spot on. My only gripe is that the chocolate can be a bit too sweet smelling like Hershey's but then again if you think about it....that's exactly what they put into chocolate chip cookies usually.

My girlfriend went nuts when I wore this once, she kept smelling me and saying "Is that chocolate chip cookies!? How do you smell like that? I want to eat you up!". She kind of freaked out in a good way when I showed her the cologne.

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

A very pleasant surprise indeed.

I was sniffing fragrances at the store for a light refreshing fruity fragrance for summer and this one stuck out. The lady purposely did not tell me what it was at first and I was surprised that it was from Paris Hilton. I ended up purchasing it and I still don't want people to know I have a fragrance from Paris Hilton but it's well done.

It has great longevity, decent sillage although on the lower side. It's very light, refreshing, slightly fruity yet masculine and works great on hot summer day (although for some reason I see myself walking the beach during a hot night wearing this). Was only $15 and overall was well done. Not very complex, quite linear but for what it aims to do it's a great choice.

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

I heard this fragrance got such high reviews so I had to try it out for myself.

I initially was skeptical because its very different than fragrances on the market today but I did like it. I ended up purchasing it more due to the fact that it got such great reviews so I figured it would grow on me.

It did not disappoint.

At first I was debating taking it back, but the more I wore it the more I grew to appreciate it. It's well blended, refreshing and is a very green woodsy fragrance but not in a deep way. More fresh and the one phrase that seems to perfectly describe it would be a "spiced cool coniferous scent".

It's very classy and more well suited for the daytime and warmer weather. Excellent fragrance and very masculine and well distinguished from the typical citrusy ozonic run of the mill fragrances everyone is pumping out these days.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2010)

DarwinHoel's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I love the opening of this scent. I find that I want to keep applying a fresh layer just to smell the top notes. The Honey, soapy dry down surprised me in that I'm enjoying it and I didn't think I would. I can see wearing this for an evening home with my beloved wife or to breakfast on a cool morning. I like it very much.

joela87's avatar

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

Soap. all thats important to me is the dry down and it smells to me like soap. nothing special.

Diorissimo's avatar

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

Terrific in the dog days of summer. LIght but not insubstantial and, as noted, no 'pina colada' smell!

Diorissimo's avatar

Kenzo Amour Florale by Kenzo

Pretty and typical. Nothing to write home about. got it as a free sample but doesn't hold a candle to original Amour

KarmaX's avatar

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

I really like this perfume on women. It gives me impression that the women is clean and elegant.

KarmaX's avatar

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

It is very fresh and lot better than ADG price wise and fragrance wise. ADG smells a litttle girlish. I have had female customers asking for men ADG for them. ^_^

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Very pleasant scent with a beginning that is reminiscent of Bois du Portugal (more pungent) and Acier Aluminium. However, it quickly evolves to a musky, woody and slightly sweet smell that develops over several hours. While not the most distinctive of Creed fragrances it is certainly one of the best. To me, it is a nice balance between the heavy and masculine and the light and androgynous (currently much in favor).

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I had looked forward to wearing the much-feted Green Irish Tweed, the fragrance of notables and celebrities, but was disappointed. Green Irish Tweed smells much like the aquatic, slightly woody scents that are liberally applied by men in their 20's and 30's. I admit that it is more complex than most of the competition and may have been among the first scents to use this mixture of olfactory notes. However, it is neither distinctive nor special.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Wonderfully fresh citrus aquatic fragrance. Begins a little sweet but dries to a complex mix in which the components are difficult to disentangle. Smells a little like many of the more popular, and cheaper, scents today but has much more complexity even if it lacks a little in longevity.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

It first smell like a sweet woodsy cherry syrup but quickly dies down to a warm wine like smell. Afterwards it's a sweet berry liked woods smell with a hint of musk and very distinctive smell I can't quite put my finger on. I

It's a very sensual evening scent with excellent sillage and longevity. It's a very masculine fragrance despite it's sweetness later in the drydown.
    It's complex and blended well that opens with a slight citrus which isn't your typical citrus opening and hard to detect but, it burns off quick. After that I can smell rich polished wood, Rosemary, Oudh, hint of vetiver, earthy notes and amber. It's an earthy sweet woods fragrance with oudh and amber which gradually gets sweeter as it progresses. Definitely a fragrance that needs to be worn and not sampled.
    I didn't like this as first yet it kept gradually growing on me. It's now one of my favorite classy evening scents.

It's a fantastic unique fragrance that's extremely distinctive and a fantastic head turner. More risky than other scents but as always, with more risk comes more reward.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2011)

Unforgivable by Sean John

As for Unforgivable it's an exceptional fragrance that is a complete compliment magnet. It's great for any occasion although there are better choices for the evening considering the sillage isn't very high. It has a great citrus opening that resemble tangerine and mandarin more than lime and lemon. Overall the fragrance is fantastic and is quickly becoming one of my favorites, although it has a cheaper orange soda type vibe to it.

The scent seems made of relatively poor ingredients which causes the scent to break down quite quickly and smell a bit too artificial for my tastes. It's not bad but, could be better.
    Try the Multi Platinum version which is 100% better than this.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2011)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

At first it doesn't seem like a "black fragrance". It's slightly sweet and has a very distinctive note to it. But the more I wore it the more I liked it. It's a very good going out scent and gets plenty of compliments. It's quite citrusy for an evening fragrance but, it's easily summed up.
    It's very pleasant and begins with a zing of lemony citrus over a slightly powdery note, tonka bean, subtle florals and guiac wood. I can't see many people not liking this which is a good or bad thing depending on your stance is regarding that. It gets less citrusy as it dies down yet doesn't really chance much.

While the fragrance is universally liked and lasts a decent while and projects well, I only find it above average and it gets a bit boring after a while.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2011)

shamu1's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Givenchy Gentleman is so good, I own four bottles of it, out of fear that Givenchy will discontinue it. It just seems too good to be true, and let's face it, big stonking patchouli fragrances aren't exactly a hot commodity in the mainstream men's designer fragrance market these days.

Although Gentleman is timeless and classic, it takes some guts to wear this in public, simply because it contains so much patchouli. This could have been named Givenchy Patchouli Pour Homme. As mentioned by others, it's been reformulated, and while I slightly prefer the vintage juice due to its bolder character, I must admit that the reformulated Gentleman is a somewhat better fragrance overall.

The vintage Gentleman was a strong, animalic powerhouse of a scent, with its heavy use of civet and amber to make it smell dirty and heavy. The current Gentleman, while still bold and daring, is much better blended than before, with civet, leather and patchouli blending together in a seamless and smoother accord than before. Is it a leather scent, or is it a patchouli fragrance? It's hard to tell since it's so well balanced, so I consider it to be both.

While Gentleman doesn't quite have the show-stopping sillage that it used to have, it's still a strong scent, and has all-day staying power. It's not quite as heavy as it used to be, but Givenchy Gentleman still smells filthy, even fecal, and continues to be an elegent yet daring scent.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2011)

costaleo's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is definetly love or hate. You can´t be in between, simply because it's a fragrance of extremes. Not for daily wear, not for hot weather. I wear it to party and love to smell it on me, 'eating ' it like I would eat a chocolate cake. It's a fragance that can't be put into words, it's a fragance to be experienced. I hated it on a friend of mine at first, but after some time I started to change my mind (nose) about it and had to buy it. Today it's one of the favorite fragance of all the ones I have.

01st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2011)

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

The top notes of fruit are far too piercing, and overstay their welcome. It reminded me a bit of Jako by Karl Lagerfeld --which I hate. It's one of the few the gives me a headache. Drydown is more pleasant, but overly floral for a man. I believe this to be much more suited to a woman. This (along with Le Male) is one of the most overrated scents ever.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

It falls in between A*Men (which I hate) and Rochas Man (which I like). Not as chaotic as the first, but lacking the refinement of the second.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

This was a fragrance very ahead of it's time. I haven't found any other scent that manages to combine lemon and vanillla so superbly. Despite the great variety of notes listed, I found it to be quite linear from start to finish, but it's still beautiful. If you want a 'different' kind of lemon, skip Eau Sauvage in favor of this. It's MUCH better.

Jules by Christian Dior

I had a splash bottle a few years back exactly like the one pictured. It's one of the most unique fragrances I've ever used. The Galbanum top note is extremely powerful, but it doesn't take long for the creamy, peppery blend of wood and leather to shine through. It's STRONG -- so strong that it nearly floored me with just a few dabs. It's headiness is only surpassed by Oscar Di La Renta's Pour Lui, which came out around the same time period. This is definitely not one for the younger crowd. If you manage to track down a bottle, it more than likely hasn't become being stale. Jules was built to last. This is a dress up and special occasion fragrance for sure, but it's unique aroma probably won't be appreciated by many. It's a fascinating scent, but one that very few could pull off with success.

Unbound for Men by Halston

A poor man's Acqua Di Gio. Nothing else to be said.

CoL's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

For those who thought the EDT was a little "loud" or "brash" then try the EDP thats not long out! MUCH softer, sweeter and more complex. Less leathery too and has a very nice "candiness" too it. Not quite sure what is different in this version to make it so different but I think its a fruit, smells like red berries!

JaimeB's avatar

Molinard Homme I by Molinard

A nice, typical masculine from Molinard. This is a kind of hybrid between chypre and fougère, without being either: it has the lavender and oakmoss of a fougère, but lacks the expected tonka bean; it has the oakmoss and patchouli of a chypre, but none of the chypre top note of bergamot. Still it does very well as a quiet, unassuming sort of scent, perfect for the workplace, where those sorts of values are appreciated. It does equally well if one is in a contemplative mood, or is in need of soothing reassurance. Well made and pleasant, but not meant to be exciting. That's cool by me, sometimes — sometimes it's exactly what I'd like.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

One of those truly niche Creeds that doesn't get talked about much and is more interesting, and, I feel, better than MI, SMW or Himalaya. As often, the cypress notes can be a little harsh and lacquer-like at the outset, though this is far more restrained than, say, DSH Hinoki. The slightly sulfurous note, which Turin refers to as "boiled egg" is less evident on me in hot weather and the fragrance quickly evolves into a pleasant and subtle woody-green plus very fine sweet musk - the latter much better than many of those terribly cheap-smelling skin scent musks. Not something to show off, but rather to quietly enjoy one's idiosyncratic taste.

odysseusm's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

This is a green scent… so I have to try it. This is an ozone-marine scent… so I should avoid it. Such was my mental dilemma. In the end, I bought the 6 ml bottle. I like it but I don’t think I would find the big fancy bottle a worthwhile investment.
    This is a crisp green scent, and it is constructed from unusual elements. The ozone and marine notes (normally a problem for me) work here. They are handled well (not to excess) and give the scent a refreshing character. The cucumber and kale give a brisk, slightly metallic green note, meant to suggest crisp bank notes. High concept? Sure, but this is an agreeable fragrance, though not brilliant.

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire

This review replaces my previous one of September 2009.
    I agree with foetidus, Eau de Gloire is a male-oriented scent (though women could choose to wear it). This starts with good scrubby green notes: they are dusky, aromatic and very herbal. The scent is rich and yet haunting, and it grows on you with repeated wearings. The anise note is pronounced, but nothing like licorice. The very herbal character of this reminds me of Monocle 2:Laurel, though this scent is not as dry and is perhaps less linear. The scent picks up some mossy and very light leather notes in the dry-down. I like it, it has Mediterranean élan.

02 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2010)