Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Lunar's avatar

Black Angel by Mark Buxton

Dark, spicy and delicious. I love the orange with the cardamon which drys down to jasmine and orris. Its alittle heavy but I wear it in the fall& winter.

jathanas's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Yesterday I went to a local store that sells niche perfume lines with the aim of buying my wife an anniversary present. We married in our early twenties, and 16 years on we can afford to splurge on each other as life has been good to us.

I tried out quite a few from Lutens, CdG, and Malle. I was all a bit ho-hum until I took a whiff of Carnal Flower. It rocked my world! This is just an amazing floral; one can only admire the quality and artistry of Carnal Flower. I get tuberose, jasmine, and orange blossom on a base of white musk. Identifying the notes is an intellectual exercise but with Carnal Flower it's just as important to simply state: "This smells amazing!".

I was moved because through Carnal Flower I learned that beauty goes beyond gender.

Quadrille by Balenciaga

I was given a gift of French perfume samples
    a while back and this was my immediate favorite,
    a real standout. Nothing smells like Quadrille,
    It suggests luxuriousness and is quite long lasting.
    No wonder Balenciaga had a reputation for the best!

Ma Griffe by Carven

A clean smell suggestive of early spring.
    Many compliments on this. The bottle is
    a keeper too so it makes for a lovely gift.

D&G Feminine by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a very "feminine"scent. I also agree
    with the reviewer who said it's a floral with
    an edge. Great warm weather scent. The only
    drawback is the price.

ortho123's avatar

Axe Fever / Lynx Fever by Axe / Lynx

I gave this one the pits and chesty and have to say I really like this one. I was looking for a brighter everyday scent, and this one is great. Red dragon fruit: think more like tangerine (though it does start out "orange") and something like the edge of a faint ylang ylang...with my wife from SE Asia...this one works just fine.

A light scent that asserts itself, and I must say a definite shirt sniffer. My assocations with this one included everything from sport scent, candy gourmand, to something like like a fresh yet warm even OK for evening offering.

mis.anderson's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Yes it is a mature fragrance, and yes it is a strong scent by today's standards. I imagine it worn by an older woman who, despite her age, still possesses striking classic beauty as well as timeless glamour.

Needless to say, I have never known any lady like this, but I'm sure that this would be sitting on their vanity table!

Sybarite's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Overtly synthetic, overtly generic "juice" with, unfortunately, few redeeming qualities ! (If any ?) ... Gucci seriously needs to be "rapped on the knuckles" for this one ! ... What unfortunate mediocrity !!!
    It opens with bergamot and very melon like fruity notes. Thankfully this "melon" does not stick around for too long. But then neither do the merest hints of the cypress and violet. (Which is a pity, as I was most looking forward to those !) ... It then swiftly exchanges any minimal sweetness it had from the fruit, for an oddly salty accord. Very reminiscent of the scent sea water would leave behind on "drying" skin. ... Here it's finally joined by the tobacco notes, together with some faint leathery woods. The reserved patchouli and incense is so in the background as to be almost non-existent.
    I found the salty tobacco notes probably it's only redeeming quality. Yet, too little, too late ! For the frag dissipates in no time at all, having dismal longevity too. A complete disappointment !!!

tanto's avatar

Stetson by Stetson

To me, Stetson smells very much like Zizanie, Royal Copenhagen, and Chaps. OK, it not a top designer fragrance but I don't care because I like it anyway. On me, it has excellent longevity and actually smells fresh and clean at the end of the work day, too. It's not a complicated "cloying" scent but one that's real manly and easy to wear. Many people compliment me whenever I wear Stetson and they tell me it smells the way a "clean man" should smell.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Lemon by Comme des Garçons

Opens quite calmly with clean and soft lemon. Never becoming tart Energy C is a pleasant lemon fragrance that I’d be more than happy to smell on others. That said as I’m not an ‘upfront’ lemon fragrance wearer it’s unlikely to ever be on my skin again. There may well be more elements present in the perfume but I can’t say I get any of them, which is fair enough as it’s nice enough as it stands.

Due to it’s decent longevity and straight up simplicity it’s on the better side of a neutral review. As I’m fairly indifferent about lemon scents this one was never going to get a thumbs up. I hope you have the weather to enjoy it.

14th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05th October, 2009)

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Grapefruit by Comme des Garçons

Grapefruit opens citrusy and within the first minutes gentle petit grain and neroli appear. Before half an hour has passed this fragrance bears no trace of citrus and progresses on a buttery and nutty path. I’ve smelt this before and believe it to be the same element that lies underneath M7 roll-on deodorant stick, Haitian vetiver. For those that have only smelt M7 juice I say that ‘to me’ the deo-stick is not the same. It has none of the cough syrup accord and has a strong buttery, nutty character. Though it’s not as strong as I’d like, Grapefruit’s lasting power isn’t bad, and satisfies me enough to buy it.

Grapefruit is not at all what I expected, and what did I expect.... well grapefruit for a start! To be honest that doesn’t bother me as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

's avatar

Joop! Go by Joop!

Yes, it's a bit boring but in a nice and inoffensive kind of way. Women seem to like it. I don't get the blood orange or rhubarb notes in this but it dries down into a relatively nice woody scent. Thumbs up. Just.

varvara's avatar

Émeraude by Coty

AMEN to that vintage red! couldn't have said it better myself. the original emeraude is exquisite, a nosees dream: musk, incense, civet. this reworked version is pooh.
    simple as that.
    thumbs down for the current
    thumbs up up for the vintage/original

Truffles's avatar

Far Away by Avon

Absolutely vile. I worked in a hospital once and one of the nurses used to spray it inside the top of her dress and whenever there were any horrible smells wafting around she would bury her nose in this perfume. From one horrible smell to another! I would lump this perfume into the 'Eternity' category, I simply can't see what is appealing about it.

jennster's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Whatever hits me on the top here nearly made me ill. I agree with the reviewer who noted it was a bit harsh. Either the juniper or cypress punched me in the nose. After it dries down a bit I find it to be a nice smoky woods scent. I won't be wearing it as that is not my type but I think I would really enjoy it on a man.

FraFer's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Déclaration by Cartier

This is one of the most intresting fragrances. I'm vegetarian and I love the indian food. When I use Déclaration I feel some "indian feelings" on me.:) It's very strange and unique (and extremly dry) fragrance but definitely not for everyone (30+). I like better than Terre d'Hermés, its younger brother.

Diamondflame's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I remember this to be a casual, mildly fruity aquatic which bears wearing in summer. I could see a trio of buddies on a road trip, cruising down the coast towards Malibu, wearing dark shades, a beautiful tan and of course, TOMMY.

Diamondflame's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Why am I not surprised that Jean-Claude Ellena is the genius behind this ethereal, almost surreal scent? It certainly bears his signature. I shall not attempt to describe the scent as zztopp has already hit a home-run with his earlier review, particularly on that distinctive green mango. I would however add that if it wasn't for the luscious mango accord, this would have been a ho-hum affair at best. But as an impressionist concept I think UN JARDIN SUR LE NIL is almost flawless in its execution; an afternoon stroll through an orchard by the river Nile. Just that with a poorly cultured nose like mine, all I could think of was a fruit stall on a sultry afternoon. But that doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it?

14th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2009)

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

I dont dislike it and I find it pleasant enough,but it does nothing at all for me. I dont get the dirty body smell, but definitely bug spray.

Tabac Blond by Caron

Too spicy and too much carnation.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

This is quite simply a delicious sensual erotic scent. It doesnt scream sex, it slyly beckons. Comforting and extremely seductive, sweet but gentle florals and warm leather. It makes me swoon.

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Herbal, floral like eating mints and picking flowers in the woods.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

My first impression was old lady- old lady mouthwash, old lady liniment, old lady flowers.

Then I got old dead flowers and it got GROSS, nasty like sickly sweet dead flesh. I felt vaguely ill.

Then after it settled on my skin, about 90 minutes or so into it, I got the scent of a pair of panties, stored in a wooden drawer with herbs and worn by a woman who likes floral powders. After she has worn them- slightly.

Now all I get is- wow, I really smell good.

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I dont know WHAT this smells like, I cant pick out any notes just yet. But I like it! I find it rather sophisticated, not Old Lady, but sophisticated and sort of think maybe in another 5 years or so I can pull it off. Its slinky black dress and sexy shoes with a smirk,ultra confident and devil may care. This aint no little girl's perfume, thats for sure.

Beige by Chanel

Initially very flowery and tropical. Gardenia and plumeria jump out at me, then I swear I get some awapahui. the drydown is perfumey and powdery, sweet with more of the plumeria than gardenia to my nose. I am not sure if I want to buy this because the powder irritates my throat, but it is beautiful.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

An amber/sweet-smelling fragrance with a hint of darkness that smells distinctly synthetic, but with some appeal nonetheless. I like the name and it has a nice looking bottle too. Probably best used as an evening fragrance IMO that I associate with a black outfit. This one (along with Boss Dark Blue) is probably my favourite of the recent crop of Boss fragrances, but I'm in no great hurry to buy it as I reckon that there are several other fragrances in its genre that are more interesting and do a better job (e.g. Azzaro Pour Homme, etc.). Also its longevity on my skin is mediocre.

kc majirel's avatar

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

this is among one of my top 5 fragrances for ladies on light and feminine category

Nahéma by Guerlain

Have owned and loved this one for years - I remember my mother wearing it to dressy parties when I was younger and maybe that's why to this day it strikes in me notes of confidence and sophistication, when you know you're at your best (it's also one of the very few scents that my mother and I have in common, as our tastes seem to be markedly different on that score). And despite having known it for years, not once have I thought of it as a rose scent. Even now, as I smell it, I feel it's so much greater than any of its individual components, the end result is so big and bold and beautiful, that it becomes almost undescribable. A classic that has endured and will remain on my list of staples.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Pleasant, but gone after 10 mins on my skin. One reviewer mentions its complexity, but I don't get it. To me it's just so subtle, it's bland. If perfume was a colour, this would be beige.

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Surprised to read about the base notes on this one, as I just don't smell them in person. My husband's skin only seems to bring out the top notes, but that's hardly an issue when the top notes smell as good as this! The green sharpness of the geranium/ pelargonium stops the mint from seeming toothpastey and there is wonderful softness to the drydown (maybe that's the musk peeping through, blending in harmoniously rather than drawing attention to itself). I haven't tried it on myself, but will have to some day - even if it isn't one of the unisex ones.