Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

MUST be layered with the bath line and applied with a very light touch to truly develop the exquisitely feminine character. Not a fragrance for the faint of heart or everyday wear. Holds it's own with a designer suit, real jewelry and a fur. Kid gloves, veiled hat and vintage train case are appropriate, but optional. Outrageously glamorous and overtly sexy, can be vulgar instead of voluptuous in the wrong hands... you've been warned!

Shalimar by Guerlain

Suffocating, sharp, nauseating, sickly sweet...reminds me of stale sweat heavily caked with the sort of dime store bath powder popular in rest homes. Discordant wood tones reminiscent of dusty antique chests rotting in some stifling airless attic. The stuff of violent dizzy retching headaches ... alongside Youth Dew, Royal Secret, Galore, Hope, Interlude, Ciara and that ilk. Yet something unique about Shalimar that makes it more offensive to me than just a scent which simply disagrees with my personal chemistry... I can't stand it on anyone else, either. Seriously, I can pick it out at twenty paces.

Dream Angels Halo by Victoria's Secret

The best by far of the trio and sadly missed (sniff) Kind of a contradiction... spicy and fresh, sweet and sophisticated, and strangely enough somehow fashionable even trendy (at the time) and yet classically feminine. A sentimental personal fave, reminds me of my first real job and first real love. The latter ended painfully but, like the fragrance, was sweet while it lasted.

Pink Bouquet by Bronnley

Nostalgic, feminine perfection. Pretty without being cloying, classic without being cliche. Has that effervescent quality violet adds to roses, as in YSL Paris only softer and more subdued. A dreamy, powdery floral surrounds a true rose petal heart. Timeless and romantic, I wore this on my wedding day.

Goldleaf / Goldleaf & Hydrangea by Thymes

Refined, feminine and gracious. Suggests rich warmth and luxury. Unusual balance of mellow floral sweetness, clean soapy freshness and slightly mysterious forest-y depth. Powdery floral with slight undertone of herbaceous greens and dry down of soft woods and moss. Beautiful, distinctive, subtly sensual and not the least bit cloying or overpowering.
    An altogether memorable fragrance. Enchanting!

Kimono Rose by Thymes

Sweet berry kissed floral with a soft hint of vanilla. Very subtle rose tones. Lighthearted, feminine and pretty.

tijgermeisje's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Visionary by Body Shop

very sexy, am always on the lookout for the perfect replacement. Rochas Femme does slightly resemble this perfume oil (it lasts and lasts!) but Visionary is dirtier.

Sybarite's avatar

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

I really don't quite understand the above quoted similarities of "212 Sexy" to both "Le Male" and/or "Joop". To me I find them nothing alike. And both of which I believe to be superior to "212 Sexy". ~ The only thing I do think all three share is they're all strongly "love it" or "hate it" type fragrances, eliciting strong reactions from both "camps". (So I definitely strongly recommend "trying before buying" !!!)
    To me it smells rather strongly synthetic and somewhat "cheap" smelling, at first. (More befitting of a mere can of deodorant for example !). However it does redeem itself somewhat as it gets progressively much better towards it's way more attractive (& vanilla rich) "drydown". Which is actually quite pleasant ! ~ So if you are a lover of deep-woody-vanilla scents, and the top/mid notes don't bother you (or you're willing to wait/fight-thru them), you might well find the last few hours of the "drydown" richly rewarding !?
    So to recap : Atrociously assaulting synthetic "first-half", progressing to a quite gorgeous woody guaiac & vanilla "second-half". (And which is ultimately at it's utmost (sexy !) best when just traces linger on the skin the morning after !)

14 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2011)

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense by Loewe

This one is for me even better than the initial Solo Loewe. It's fresh, relaxing, extremely icy, but in a soothing way. The almost perfect casual scent with one immense touch of distinction. I love this scent and would consider wearing it, especially during hot weather.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber

Farina Gegenüber has a long proud history. Johann Maria Farina was the first person to market his hesperidic light fragrant water as Eau de Cologne and fortuituous circumstances (a new philosophy of scent rejecting older animalic styles, the French presence in the Rhineland), sound marketing and last but not least the quality of his product made Farina Gegenüber synonymous with Eau de Cologne for 200 years. After a persistent decline in the 20th century leading to co-ownership by a mass market producer of beauty products in the 1980s, the company was bought back by Johann Maria Farina and his brother in the 1990s and reestablished as a niche house. Farina is a trained pharmacist and perfumer and believes in the necessity of adapting the original formula to present expectations, besides having to conform to regulations and being unable to employ natural musk for reasons of scarcity. The formulation has apparently undergone a number of changes - an older bottle listed hydroxycitronellal, a popular synthetic providing a greenish lindenblossom note, and other synthetics, which have disapperead in the most recent INCI declaration. As a whole, however, the fragrance is still far removed from a natural, more short-lived Eau de Cologne, though it still far superior to the ghastly cocktail of low-end materials that goes by the name of 4711. I enjoy the bergamot opening, but don't find what the ionones add in power and persistence to be particularly pleasant - it is simply too reminiscent of the standard building blocks of mass market perfumery. My four stars, then, are given for the vintage Farina from ca. 1955 I own, which is a completey different creature - a light bergamot and citrus with delicate, whispering undertones of florals, woods and musk that fades within the hour. I'd welcome it if Farina decided to return to the original formulation to produce something as beautiful as Lorenzo Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia.

N..B.: There are still thousands of red and blue "Farina Gegenüber" bottles in circulation which were thrown on the market by 4711, containing an inferior version (if that is imaginable) of that firm's disgustingly low-grade product, in order to compromise the Farina name - the last chapter of the Eau de Cologne wars of the 19th and 20th century. You will never find authentic Farina Gegenüber dem Jülichsplatz 1709 bottles for 2 Euros. Many other pseudo-Farinas can be found on ebay as collector's items - the company has fought over 2000 court cases to protect its name.

Extract of Limes by Penhaligon's

The opening is a really lovely zesty, refreshing, true-to-nature lime, but unfortunately it dries down dull and artificial like most citrus fragrances.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Lily by Comme des Garçons

Wow. My aversion to most lily fragrances (though I admit I've learned to love both Lys Mediterranee and Penhaligon's Lily & Spice) made me avoid this one for such a long time, but this isn't really a lily scent at all, it's a lily of the valley scent! And the purest, best, truest to life I've ever smelt! I love Diorissimo, but in comparison it's much more "perfumey" and with lots of other things going on beside the lily of the valley note. This is pure, fresh, green lily of the valley perfection.

3 Cuir Ambre by Prada

This really reminds me a lot of Tabac Blond.

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

It really does smell like green beans! Fascinating, but not something I'd like to smell of. And I'm not overly fond of the sweet, powdery, candied violet that comes next.

Poivre 23 by Le Labo

Lovely pepper topnote, but the drydown is too sweet and nondescript for me.

mikeperez23's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique manages to simultaneously fascinate me with its complex mix of rose, patchouli and synthetics – and at the same time I find it unbearable. I hate it. I think I love it. It smells so encroaching and stifling. It smells soft and sensual. What was I thinking? Why don’t I own a bottle of this yet? What am I trying to convince myself of?

AE has many long time fans (Burr gave it 5 stars; Turin did also) and supposedly it also has a twin brother scent (Aramis 900 is supposed to smell like an EDT version of AE – I cannot confirm this). Nonetheless, I feel a deep seated and hard-to-ignore respect for the fragrance. But…is this enough to push me to wear AE? I must admit, the answer is no.

Yes, AE has rose. And patchouli. Along with a host of other florals and elements overall combining to create a crisp, almost toasty chypre effect. Fascinating! But the overall scent is heavily doused with a large amount of energetic synthetics – acetonic, or like a whiff of mineral spirits mixed with a freshly painted wall. Later, I came running back to sing its praises when a co-worker wore it as her signature scent and knocked me out (in a good way) with her sillage (all around the office when she walked through the front door). I want to smell like that! On her skin it’s filled with a bit more airspace, my nose has the pleasure of creating a bit of beautiful background music, from the scent. On me the strength of the floral and wood combo and the volume it plays at, around in the air quickly becomes uncomfortable - like a week-old, scruffy beard that’s growing out: scratchy, cloying in the heat, sensitive. Combined with the above average longevity and tenacity of the scent to skin, the combination is scattered…a tangled mess of accords.

Bravo to Lauder (Clinique’s parent company), the perfumer, the late Bernard Chant (who’s creations Aramis & Devin, I adore) and to all of you who can wear AE with success. Not me. I am reminding myself that, with a wardrobe as full of bottles decants and samples as mine, I don’t need to convince myself to love AE.

mikeperez23's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Grosellina by Guerlain

Who knew that I could fall for a fruity scent that was released just a few years ago – when so many other designer and celebrity scents are horrible fruit nightmares? Just goes to show me that I can't make sweeping generalizations about a fragrance until I give it time on my skin.

AAG features the sharpest and most mouth watering red currant note I've ever smelled. The sensation is tart, almost like a cranberry, with a fleshy and liquid sweetness. Yet, in the way that it's blended with the white tea and florals it manages to not smell like a flavor (like so many fragrances smell from this genre and category). The fruity whiffs of the main accord evolve very little - as it warms on skin it starts to add a bit of transparent floralcy, but the dominant red currant note never fully left my skin. Constant fruity whiffs keep lingering just on the edge of my skin, for amazing tenacity as an Aqua Allegoria scent.

With the top selling masculine fragrances already loaded with fruit (I Am King by Sean John, anyone?), scents like AAG are entirely unisex and can be pulled off easily by men. Regardless of the classification AAG is a fun, laughing-with-your-mouth-open, scent.

Celebrities sure wish they had a fragrance that smelled this good.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Ack! Starts out a rather intriguingly rich and slightly fruity-floral, but a few minutes after application it warps into a foul detergent smell I just couldn't wait to wash off. Worse than cheap.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I wish I could warm to this one, but my reactions to Yatagan range on a scale from "grin and bear it" to "please get it off me". The pine and castoreum meet and create an unpleasantly smoky, sweaty accord, unnervingly meaty yet rather human at the same time. I hate to resort to disgusting imagery, but Yatagan is a powerful muse, and smells of rancid, pine-smoked meat crammed up an unwashed anus.

It's unique, well-made, and oh yes, very tenacious, so I want to smell what others do, but my nose just won't let me. Sorry, Yatagan fans - enjoy, but keep a safe distance from me.

30 Roses's avatar

Waikiki Pikake by Pacifica

This works well as a solid perfume. It is long lasting and projects better than one would expect for a solid. It is like a small vacation in the tropics and puts me in a warm-weather frame of mind. Try it, for $9 you can't go wrong.

jathanas's avatar

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

As others have stated it has a green character. There are spices and angelica over a base of woods, incense, and vetiver. Well made and well behaved, but ultimately I already own a number of scents in this category that I prefer over this.

Axe Phoenix / Lynx Phoenix by Axe / Lynx

I revisted this one after a test run with Axe Fever. 2 years later, I do get the effort that went into Phoenix but it's somewhat lost on me. Strong, somewhat cloying, it builds around the now infamous Axe "can house note" with a kind of teetering effect between violet and leather. OK, but somewhat Calvin Klownish.

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

IMO, Kilo is better than Phoenix. Why? I think for what it does it accomodates the "deo note" and tries to do less: unapologetically vanillac and spiced, not aiming for complexity but compliments.

Axe Essence by Axe / Lynx

There's enough intial "green" in this one to make more mature audiences think they might want to use it. Don't. This stuff is is like the form Polo might take after a nervous breakdown. Smelling the deo stick in no way prepares one for the can smell and built in BO...in various murky dimensions. A great scent for troubled jocks.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

OK, when I first smelled this I said good lord!!!! It was a strong hint of rum that came out of the bottle & smacked me dead in my face! I also got some weird other dark smell of some substance. But then this grew on me. ALOT! SO much that I bought me some & will be wearing it as part of my fall maybe winter fragrance! GREAT JOB! The best of the Tommy Bahama lineup!

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I'll join the gang on this one just we can all emphasize how this isn't even worth trying... Chez Bond is such a close rip-off of Green Irish Tweed that it might as well be GIT repackaged in a Bond No. 9 bottle and sold for a higher price! At least when Sean John/Puff Daddy plagiarized Creed's Millesime Imperial in his release of "Unforgivable," he sold it for a small fraction of Creed's retail price. Shame on you Bond No. 9! Bad house, bad house!

Yes, it smells great, but that's because it smells like GIT!

Legno di Nave / Seawood by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

This doesn't smell like the sea per se, but more like an old spice-drenched and mossy bucket of water and sea weed from the sea. As Hirch put it, this is life-soup. I don't particularly ever want to wear it, but I love to sniff the vial, as it transports me to a mossy dock of decaying planks of wood, sea weed, spices and other organic matter from the sea. Very unique and quite frankly almost off-putting and ugly, but it still manages to come off smooth due to Profumo's blending skills. Supposedly the newer batches of Sea Wood no longer have ambergris in them, but I doubt it will make much of a difference as this stuff already feels so alive.

7.5/10

Lyric Man by Amouage

A muted rose fragrance that feels very clean, in the same kind of clean style as Gendarme. Overall, Lyric Man is like a soapy, very soft rose supported by very light spices and frankincense. Very fresh, clean and ethereal, while still maintaining a bit of musky sweetness.There's no way this could ever offend anyone, and that's a great feat for a rose fragrance. It's surprisingly unisex and even has a very fresh note that you could describe as something akin to cucumber-musk.

Everything here is impeccably balanced and the quality is very high - there's not a hint of anything that smells "obviously" synthetic or unpleasant. My only peeve is that it's slightly boring and lacks a bit of "kick" or "life," if you will. I'm very impressed with Amouage's releases these days and this is another one to add to the list of good ones.

8.75/10

tanto's avatar

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

I like it! This is a leathery fragrance that starts out strong but dries down to a real pleasant scent. Yes, I also like English Leather. It reminds me of a barber shop from yesteryear when men smelled like men (and women smelled like women). You can't mistake this scent for anything else but a mans scent.....it probably has testosterone in it (ha ha ha).

Aznavour's avatar

Pulp by Byredo

The hype is totally well-deserved for maybe twenty minutes, where Pulp really is as juicy and, um, pulpy as the ad copy says. But it peters off swiftly after that, having a brief tart, passionfruity middle stage that reminded me of MPG Fraiche Passiflore and then becoming vague fruits over musk. It's still very nice, but I don't think it's worth the price they're asking.

IMHO anybody looking for a niche fruit-bomb would be better off buying Perfect Nectar, which I've found very similar to Pulp, especially in the middle and drydown. Pulp undoubtedly excels in that opening salvo, but that's about it.