Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

djolney's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed is refined, calm, and confident. It is a feel good fragrance that is striking because of its understated elegance: it never even hints at becoming overt.

The lemon and verbena are quite bright for a few minutes, but very quickly become smooth and sparkling as a result of the iris and violet leaves. The violet leaves are what make me smile every time I wear GIT.

The sandalwood is dry and smoky, without ever becoming dusty or musty, and provides a great anchor for the violet leaves and iris.

The combination of iris, sandalwood, and ambergris makes for a warm and rich dry down, which sadly doesn’t last as long as I wish it would.

GIT produces reasonable sillage on me for about three hours, and then becomes a skin scent for around another three hours.

15 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2009)

djolney's avatar

Royal Delight by Creed

I feel I have no choice but to begin by writing something redundant:

Royal Delight is a delight.

This is how a floral, leathery, woodsy fragrance should smell.

The mandarin, rose, and jasmine in the opening are soft and pretty, and the first half hour could well make guys worry that Royal Delight is going to turn out to be too feminine for them to wear. Have no fear fellows: it doesn’t take long for the fragrance to turn unisex/masculine.

As Royal Delight settles down, the jasmine takes on a greener tone, something like violet leaves fade in, and the woods and leather begin to make their presence felt.

The leather is excellent: it is the sort of leather that you (or your horse) is allowed to sweat on, but it is not raw or rough. The leather is something like a saddle or riding boots that have been used and well maintained. I much prefer this leather to the high fashion leather in Chanel’s Cuir de Russie or the overstuffed leather chair in Serge Lutens’ Cuir Mauresque.

The woods in Royal Delight are smooth and in balance with the leather. The sandalwood smells dry and aged, and just a bit smoky. The amber is rich and does not drown the leather (like happens with Cuir Mauresque).

As the vanilla begins to make its presence felt, Royal Delight achieves a remarkable balance between leather, woods, and sweetness that lasts for the rest of the day. The base neither becomes powdery, nor collapses into an indistinct accord.

Royal Delight has remarkable longevity and excellent sillage. Two sprays should be enough for the entire day, unless your skin eats/destroys fragrance. I can’t imagine ever applying more than three sprays. If you start with Royal Delight be prepared to be disappointed by the longevity and sillage of many other Creeds.

I’m now going to delight in royal delight and see what my favourite horse thinks of it on me.

15 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2009)

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Smells good at the start yes, but too "pleasant" for my taste and does not last AT ALL on my skin. Still a noob but this smells synthetic all the way. After hanging out here at BN, I've come to realize there are better alternatives out there, especially with the price I paid for it. Not a bad scent for beginners as it won't offend anyone.

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

I'm a sucker for pronounced top notes, and I'd like to echo some of the reviews below ... the opening is indeed sharp, spicy and really catches attention ... distinctively masculine, great for cooler weather ... evolves into dark and smoky accord after 2-3 hours but unfortunately collapses into very mild powdery skin scent not long after (would wonder ...huh? didn't I put something on a couple hours ago?!) ... would've been a great fragrance if it had better longevity. Still a thumbs up though !

JessicaGrace's avatar

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

***Edited to add: I finally got around to retesting. Not downright scary like last time, but still not something I think I'd wear. Reasonably convincing smell of raw earth, but the drydown just smells dirty and not in a fun way. Rotting flowers.

I have no idea how to rate this one. The most disturbing perfume I've ever worn. The earth smell is raw and dark and the airy flowers that float over it only emphasize the strangeness. I heard this scent compared to "fresh graves" and can't get the image out of my head. I want to retest it, but I'm honestly scared to put it on my skin. When I wore it, it lasted for hours and every time I sniffed it I felt my hair stand on end.

Hartman Design's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Extremely likable blend of sweet and spice with just the right amount of projection, as well as excellent longevity on my skin. I seem to get very little of the floral opening notes; the fragrance quickly settles into spicy cinnamon and tea notes, with the musky, sweeter drydown lagging not far behind. PH2 is a unique scent, and I really can't put my finger on exactly why that is. There are plenty of other fragrances that walk a tightrope between spicy and sweet accords; this scent just seems to do a better job of balancing them than most others. Seems more suited to me as an evening fragrance, and for a night out, rather than office wear.

Hartman Design's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Despite the preponderance of negative reviews, I really enjoy this fragrance. Fresh citrus opening, yet very different than most other aquatics. Well-seasoned drydown; seems blended to appeal to a younger audience. I'm surprised this scent is so polarizing and garners so many negative reviews compared to an aquatic as bland as Cool Water, which has received a much more favorable ranking from basenotes reviewers. Just goes to show how subjective this whole business is, I suppose. I must also admit that Light Blue was the fragrance that launched my interest in collecting men's cologne, so perhaps my opinion is somewhat jaded by sentimentality. Notwithstanding, I love everything about the pyramid, and though the longevity is nothing special (seems to be a commonality among many D&G fragrances), I find myself coming back to this scent in my collection on a regular basis. Works well for me year 'round, and is especially good in summer, when I've learned to shelve many other spicy fougeres that simply become too dominant after an hour or two. A great example of primarily synthetic ingredients used to great advantage. Stop reading the reviews, go to Macy's, spray some on your wrist and make your own judgment.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

In the beginning, it's fruits, spices and fresh mint, mixed on top of the original XS, or at least something quite similar to it. This two worlds don't seem to coexist in natural harmony and for me it's more like I layered two different perfumes one on top of the other and can still recognize each of them. One is playful, original and surprising, the other is boring and typical masculine 90's. That could be an interesting statement, too.
    However, on my skin, the mint goes away in 20 minutes. Pity.
    Still some darker character is revealed, close to the image of the bottle with its black rose. Fruits and spices dominate for a while and evoke mistery. Half an hour later, fruits are somehow gone or at least the playfulness, mistery and emotion that they give. Pity.
    Then eventually everything else that was original in this pyramid goes in the shadows already and starts to support this typically "modern" designer masculine scent, so close to the original XS that it smells a little outdated. Maybe it was the success of XS in its time which made scents like this "typical".. anyway, it was a pity to lose such a promising start. Maybe it's just my skin, maybe I have just smelled too much Paco Rabanne in my life, so I pay too much attention to the similarities and neglect the original part.
    Nevertheless, I'm sure for fans of XS it'll still be a pleasant surprise and a nice upgrade.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Great for dates. Women like the fragrance. The longest lasting fragrance I have tried - I can smell it even a day and a half later, and through a shower too. Chocolate, caramel, maybe a little tobacco also.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

The cucumber, and mossy scents hit you right away. A casual summery fragrance. Some nice fresh floral scents add to this. Sporty.

Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain

Great, more suitable for formal/night wear, usually, vetiver reminds me of senior crowds. It is cool and refreshing. Floral high notes balance the vetiver very nicely.

pinkfizzy's avatar

J'Adore by Christian Dior

Citrussy peachy rose. I have a sample of EdP and it's so watery and weak I could have sworn it was cologne or EdT. I would have liked it more if they'd amped up the peach and rose a bit more and fleshed it out a bit. And it gave me a rash.

But it's not bad for a modern fruity floral. Much classier than most of them out there nowadays.

pinkfizzy's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The Night of the Man? Huh? I liked the original L'Homme, my roommate wore it and I was always stealing spritzes. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, just a good, well-crafted thing, citrussy and herby like many others of its time. Le Nuit de L'Homme doesn't have much in common with it, and the silly name doesn't go with it because there's nothing dark about it. To my taste, it's too sweet, the spices are too cloying and fake, and just all around bland and flat. But that guy in the ads, I'll give him a thumbs up.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Cool and self-assured, personified. Imitation as a form of flattery rarely works in favour of the original. But I feel Creed should thank Davidoff's COOL WATER for introducing a new, youthful market segment to its own line. Just don't be dismayed if a young person smelling Green Irish Tweed for the first time were to go 'OMG, this is a Cool Water rip off!" Heh.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Dates seem to feature prominently for me this month not least because it is the month of Ramadhan when Muslims customarily break their fast with this sweet fruit. JOHN VARVATOS is probably the first scent I know that uses dates; a gamble or more of a marketing gimmick as the fruit is better known for its taste than its fragrance. I find its projection rather 'creamy', mildly fruity even - an aspect which women seem to find appealing. While I do recognize the scent of a biker's leather jacket amidst the ambery vanilla drydown, I just wish the note features more prominently rather than as an afterthought. Still a worthy buy in my books even if the scent falls short of delivering what the handsome bottle promises.

Vintage by John Varvatos

Great looking bottle! Uh, that's it. If you're looking for a scent that 'promises more than it delivers' then this IS vintage, Varvatos-style. Some bright moments here and hopeful notes there, but altogether just too sporadic for VINTAGE to make any lasting impression on me. If I could offer just one advice to John Varvatos' camp, please put Jean-Claude Ellena or Jacques Cavallier on the payroll. Pronto!

Usher for Men by Usher

Don't judge a book by its cover or so the advice goes. Similarly, don't judge a fragrance by its bottle. Nor the name it is marketed under for that matter. Well, for once I didn't listen to that advice. How could I? I could forgive Sean John's Unforgivable rip off act for its excellent reproduction of a great scent. But USHER is just 'bland' when it has no right to be and shares nothing remotely in common with its celebrity namesake. I get the uneasy feeling that a chunk of the investment behind this insipid mess went to the celebrity first, the bottle designer next and whatever was left to the perfumer. In fact if you were to ask Usher to sample this scent, don't be surprised if he goes, "What the **** ?" This one sucks, brutha!

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

I gave this recent release from Givenchy a run today. Andrewthecologneguy had mentioned a 'tar note' which intrigued me greatly but my nose fails to detect any. Neither is 'tar' listed as a note. It is nevertheless pleasant in its sweet powdery yet airy essence; I find its approach is closer to Salvador Dali's Black Sun than it is to Armani's edgier rendition with Code. But for the guys at Givenchy to jump on the trend bandwagon, they must be getting pretty desperate. Ultimately I find PLAY INTENSE to be too much of a Code rip off that not even Justin Timberlake can bring 'sexy' back.

Arpège by Lanvin

I got a miniature of this just a month ago and have been loving it since, but application has been difficult, since its a splash bottle. Much to my dismay, the splash bottle splashed about half of itself onto me one morning before school. I didn't have time to take it off, so I braved the massive sillage. As my AP US History teacher paced the room, he started sniffing the air on our side of the classroom, saying, "It smells nice in here, who is that?" Everyone around me turned and pointed to me. Needless to say, it was embarrassing and flattering and hilarious all at once. Thank God this stuff is so good. Definitely unisex, it starts along the lines of a muted No. 5 of Joy in a more beige tone that isn't as strident with the aldehydes. After that, it grows into a beautiful rich musky floral that dries down into the best musk base out there, hands down. A must try for anyone.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

While initially strangely herbaceous and reminiscent of weedy smells, Angel brings the words fruity, rich, sweet, and powerful to a new level. The period after the strange herbaceousness smells like a rich fruit compote with chocolate cake in the oven next to you. After that, it descends into a carmely, chocolaty, rich scent. Patchouli makes a feature in the end, letting you know that's what has been making this so interesting all along. Lasts on my skin over 24 hours. Crazy.

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

The top and heart notes of Y are possibly the best take on a green soft floral yet. Like an improved no. 19 that projects better and is a tinge sweeter and richer, while still retaining freshness. However the basenotes let you know that not all good things last forever, giving you a strange peppery woody finish, which, while not unpleasant, is totally undesirable in the given situation. Beautiful nonetheless.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I had initially been looking for a thick amber fragrance as a gift for my sister-- so I sought out Ambre Sultan. Much to my delight, it was perfect! Resinous, but not overpowering or assaulting, this is probably one of the finest ambers out there that prevents cloying sweetness by adding tinge of herbal spiciness at times. As a gift however, it failed, because I like it so much, I constantly steal it from her! :D

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Strange beauty is the theme of this one. If any fragrance could get the award for changing one of the worst smelling things out there (rubber) into a grand fragrance (black) Bvlgari's Black would win hands down. This is the weird quiet kid of perfumes that is freakishly intelligent. Unfortunately, this is an awful perfume in the heat, so keep it in the cooler season for testing to appreciate it the most.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

When a woman tells you that you remind her of her grandpa, and says you smell good, I think you've got a keeper. As long as you have no qualms with smelling put together or "mature" Eau Sauvage is the dandy's choice for summer fragrance. Bright and herbaceous, and especially long lasting for its genre.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

While everyone around me thinks I smell like baby powder, I still know the truth. Habit Rouge is a complex fragrance not easily appreciated by anyone that foils classic masculinity with a powdery, sweet, and dandified feeling. Hot weather, however, does end up making this a powdery mess, so watch out.

Vetiver by Guerlain

A soapy, anise and licorice-like vetiver. Pretty linear form start to finish and unwaveringly pleasing. Somewhat boring however. Especially cloying if overapplied.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can easily understand apprehensions about Timbuktu. Its opening is rather strange to me. From afar its a thick green woody note that is somehow transparent, but up close its cat litter(Not in an animalic way). It only improves from there. Its strong woody tones remain so cheerful for so long it surprises me. Usually woody fragrances come off as crass (in a cowboy way) or just boring. The floral and fruit tones most likely aid in that sensation, but hinder its opening from becoming more appealing. The drydown is where the genius lies. It is smoky/woody in a way nothing else really is. Its as if you took the smell of a barbecue or campfire, removed foody smells, removed thicker oily parts of it, and only left the natural tinge of smoke in dry segment of bark to shine.

15 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2010)

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Yuck. While a good representation of the genre of fruity scents, this just is to much. Too sweet, too rich, too much.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I don't know if you can call this unique just because it has iris in a men's fragrance, but you can certainly call it good. The chocolate/iris/herbaceous accord in the heart really hold it together, and smells great until the strange stumbling woody-amber drydown that takes a while to set in. Not too complex or fussy, a nice everyday sort of normal fragrance, if not a little more powdery or sweet than normal.

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

This smelled okay for the first two minutes or so, but then ended up smelling like raw meat. It was shocking to say the least. It must not work with my skin well.