Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Fredrik Lönnberg's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Yatagan by Caron

Very strange. Addictive. My first reaction was to smile. Now I laugh, because it is such an odd fragrance.

joel_157's avatar

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

I was surprised to find just neutral votes on this one. I was actually quite impressed with this one. For some reason, the smell just suits the Lacoste image, the tennis sport scene. Now I may agree when people say its not radical... but I have not smelled too many that closely resemble this. Seems like more of a summer scent, curious why it just came out now. I think people will find this is Lacoste best scent, even better than Essential.

PerfumeRumor's avatar

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

I am a great lover of fruity/powdery fragrances and Fancy when first applied is deliciously fruity and then later becomes a light powdery vanilla pleasure. It surprises me that others find it to be too sweet as I constantly have both men and women complimenting me on the fragrance. This will definitely become one of my lifetime favorite perfumes.

Latinmarty's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

My all time fave.....the only fragrance that gets zillions of comments time and time again!
    Classic masterpiece.

HungarianGypsy's avatar

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I wish I loved this... Lily of the Valley is my favorite flower, but this is decidedly NOT my favorite perfume. Maybe it is just my body chemistry, but there is a sharp quality to the scent that develops after a few minutes and won't leave. For me it lacks the warmth and earthy undertone that the flower possesses. Smells like synthetic lily of the valley, which I suppose it is. Not a terrible scent, but not what I was hoping for.

docjason's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Kistna by Body Shop

This is one of my favorite green scents. Very simple and soothing. Nice to wear on weekends or before going to sleep. Very linear and light.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

I can't wrap my head around these notes.. It sounds as though it would be some kind of floriental, but to my nose, Paul Smith Man is distinctly a fougere! I detect a very prominent dry origanum note, which of course isn't listed at all (then again, when herbal notes are listed I usually don't detect them...) Perhaps it's some trick played by the citrus/spice/patchouli accord. Anyway, that's what makes this fragrance stand out as memorable for me, the (non-existent) origanum note.

starberr1e's avatar

Warm Vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works

I understand if you personally dislike a fragrance but to insult those who may wear it is silly. I don't wear this EDT, but I love the lotion and bubble bath, and I'd describe it as not being particularly like a normal vanilla scent. To me it comes across as the type of vanilla scent you might find if you opened a fresh container of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt - the creamy warmth of the vanilla tempered by the chill of the freezer. It's very sweet, soft, comforting, and familiar. I think everyone's mom or sister or neice or daughter has sniffed it or worn it in some form at least once. That's a lot of people to accuse of being unsophisticated.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

This was once my favorite fragrance, but over time, my tastes have changed, and it isn't down to reformulation.

Knize Ten opens with a strong leather, somewhat tarry and rooty at the same time. The top notes are brief, quickly morphing into a fragrance that's much cleaner, fairly soapy, and heavily powdery, the leather note backed up by an ambery-floral accord. It's quite rich, tenacious, and powerful.

I probably could have written volumes on this fragrance when I loved it, but I feel indifferent to it now that I've smelled - in my opinion - more fragrances and much better leathers.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Private Collection - Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale

Cuir d'Iris is one of the most interesting leather fragrances on the market. Deep, dark, complex, and unique - what more do you need?

Like most leather fagrances, Cuir d'Iris uses another note to imitate tanned hide - here, castoreum, and a lot of it. It's the first thing noticeable on application, and forms the core of this fragrance. Restraining the animal warmth is a dusty iris, cardamon, and a peculiar dry tannic quality PG used also in Iris Taizo. The effect is smoky and mysterious, forgoing the oriental voluptuousness many fragrances temper their leather note with. A faint vanilla is discernible in the base, lending a touch of calming warmth.

This juice is very powerful and long lasting, so it's best to apply to with caution in order to appreciate its subtleties.

jenson's avatar

India India

Exotic by Boadicea the Victorious

smells like bunch of tender, dark green leaves studded with sugar crystals. it's essentially a "Green" scent. is transparent and watery, but not weak. has pretty good longevity. nothing out of the ordinary & definitely not Exotic, yet, it's beautiful in what it has ot offer.. admirers of green scents have one more scent to sample. and oh yes, nothing exactly feminine about it.

jenson's avatar

India India

Royal Muska by Martine Micallef

soft, white clouds with a mild touch of ambrette seed. it;s toooo soft and powdery. yet, is very enchanting. for those who like scents which dont interfere (atall) and yet give a very comforting feel, this is it. for those anosmic to musk, better tred with caution, you might just smell - nothing!

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I think Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is perfect for people who like sweet fragances, but modern at the same time.
    Anis notes gives a very interesting touch here...Licorice and sweet. Perfect for nights or winter days. Absolutly recommend it.

tanto's avatar

Clubman by Pinaud

There is no guy who will give the original Clubman a bad review. Every guy goes to the barber shop and has experienced the scent of Clubman filling the air. Actually, it also takes us back to our childhood days and perhaps going to the barber shop with dad. It's a clean, citrusy, almost powdery scent. It reminds me so much of Canoe by Dana. Truthfully, you can ask any guy in the USA what a traditional barber shop smells like and he'll tell you "Clubman". This is an inexpensive after shave that doesn't smell cheap and wears very nicely. By all means this is an "old school" scent that is in every way a true classic!

adowds's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

Vetiver is an amazing substance; there are a tremendous amount of fabulous fragrances with Vetiver in them. Let’s just take five that have Vetiver as their main element, Mugler Cologne, Guerlain Vetiver, Villoresi Vetiver, Eau Sauvage and of course Encre Noire. It’s amazing that with every one you’ll take a sniff and say “yep Vetiver” and yet they the spectrum in that group from light to dark is vast. Encre Noire falls near the end of the dark side of the spectrum, rugged but at the same time soft and smooth. For such a full bodied smell I find it amazing that it never becomes oppressive. In my mind its smell conjures the image of dark, gnarled and soggy wood akin to ‘bog oak’, accompanied with dense green Vetiver and a kind of bitter smokiness.

In the morning I look out the window and decide what to clothes to wear for the day. The clothes and weather then dictate my choice of fragrance. If the weather is overcast and cool I’ll plumb for Encre Noire. But it’s ultimately Encre Noire that dictates the clothes, generally black, in the same way that M7 makes me go for brown or Antaeus makes me go for purple.

I absolutely love Encre Noire, from the colour of the liquid, to the bottle, to it's all day dense aura, to the pure majesty of the smell.

adowds's avatar

Steam Aoud by Montale

The unfortunate thing for Steam Aoud is that it lies in the shadow of much better fragrances in the line, not least Black Aoud. Other Montale Aouds leave an altogether better lasting impression, but that’s not to say that Steam Aoud isn’t great in itself.

Steam Aoud is very enjoyable, after a bitter start lasting twenty or so minutes, Steam Aoud settles neatly into a straightforward gentle rose and light oud. Though I can’t pick out the slight spice of caraway seeds I do get the fresh smell of caraway seeds (when they are picked in nature and rubbed aggressively between your palms). It’s most likely the fresh aspect of caraway that gives Steam Aoud its aquatic feel.

It’s only when you test Black and Steam Aoud side by side that you really appreciate how much weaker Steam Aoud is, or depending on your perspective, how much stronger Black Aoud is. Yes Steam Aoud is weaker with a much shorter life (5 hours on me), but I see it as a better daywear fragrance than it’s stronger sibling. A good unisex fragrance that I’d be happy to buy 50mls of.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Marc Jacobs Essence by Marc Jacobs

Very simialr to Marc Jacobs , the original but a little deeper and less aquatic. This is gardenia all the way so I love it. It's not realistic gardenia but an very good interpretation of it.
    The yellow bottle leaves much to be desired and being opaque you can't judge usage from it however, I love this enough to overlook it. It's good stuff ,affordable online and long lasting. I can get my gardenai kick adequately for this !

sammyo's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

Synthetic mandarins and body odour. Not very interesting and not very nice.

A poor man's Terre d'Hermes, definitely (poor old Cartier).

j_mysscent's avatar

Champaca Absolute by Tom Ford

TF Champaca Absolute opens with blast of champaca-scented rice in a container made of fresh-cut bamboo-stem, along with sweet ripe plum. I am a big fan of white florals and I love champaca the real flower. To my nose, champaca is never dominant here but it lingers to the end.

Comparision between TF Champaca Absolute and Ormande Jayne Champaca: OJ is "browner" and denser while TF is greener and more airy. OJ is less sweet and less rice-like. Both are well-blended and exotic. CJ is "wilder" while TF is more lady-like.

esquirol's avatar

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Clair de Musc smells to me exactly like Baghari. Which I like very much, only I have two names here for the same smell. When I smell my wrist now there's also a very clear redolence of Chanel n°5 Eau première. Well, a pleasant, feelgood smell, all in all nothing "special".

pinkfizzy's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

Okay, I really like this. When I first tried it, it reminded me of Carnal Flower. However when I tried them on side to side, I found that Amarige is quite different, a more rounded, rich floral without the eucalyptus or coconut of Carnal Flower. Although tuberose isn't listed in the notes, I'm pretty sure I smell it in there, but it's blended wonderfully with jasmine, mimosa, orange blossom and some peachy fruit notes that are more like osmanthus than actual fruit. The total effect is not one of sweetness, but of a voluptuous tropical floral. Wonderful. In fact, although I don't want to hurt Carnal Flower's feelings because I adore it, I think I like Amarige equally if not more.

After reading the Guide's harsh review of this, I'm a little hesitant to wear it out, as it is strong, but I'm going to start by dabbing and let it develop a little before getting on the bus or anything! I don't want to be that lady choking everyone with her fumes. (Turin did say that they "nearly gave it four stars" instead of one!) Frankly I prefer scent that actually keep me scented, rather than smelling good for an hour. I want my money's worth!

pinkfizzy's avatar

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Dang, I also thought I was getting regular Grey Flannel. Ick. This stuff smells like a deodorant labelled Mountain Fresh. Or possibly cheap dryer sheets. Horrible.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

Smells very much like a green tea scent I tried from Yves Rocher in the early 1990s. Refreshingly light and beautiful, a scent of meadows in spring, a gentle reminder of all that is pure and innocent. I just couldn't help but think of my 10 year old little girl. Perhaps that's the inspiration behind this fragrance. Huh? Nobody else got that? Please don't tell me you agreed with Luca Turin when he listed this as a feminine fragrance men can wear. Just what were you guys smoking?

Edit of 16 Sep 2009 review:
    Finally got to smoke what all these guys were smoking: it's real good! I'm enjoying this, thanks to Vibert.

16 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2009)

edacook's avatar

True Star by Tommy Hilfiger

Its really fantastic to wear. i am very fond of it.

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

One of the most individual fragrances around. Very medicinal-smelling, very wacky like the bottle itself. For mature types only IMO. Versatile fragrance that can be used casually or in the office, for dating, any season, day or night. Remarkable sillage and longevity. Not my cup of tea, but can understand its appeal to dreamy types. Don't buy blind but deserves a thumbs up simply for being so utterly unique and distinctive.

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Got this one as a present. Very flowery and metro-sexual fragrance that is not unpleasant. A slight hint of muskiness in the base stops it from being an outright feminine fragrance. However, I can’t recommend this as its longevity and sillage are feeble. Also the bottle design is cheap & boring.

dbconlin's avatar

Marlborough by Geo F Trumper

Cedarwood completely dominates and overpowers any other scent for the first couple of hours. Once that wears thin, the Geranium notes begin to come out, which is pleasant for a little while. But then it decays to a single-note floral. I feel this scent has some potential during the mid-part of its lifespan, but I was clearly disappointed overall.

bokiluis's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Just discovered this site while searching for an accurate description of the composition of A*ngel Men. I have been a fan since Thierry Mugler launched it originally in 1996 at Saks Fifth Avenue. At launch, it was a Saks exclusive for the first 5 years. If you were fortunate enough to receive your bottle on the initial run, you were given the Metallic Bottle w/engraving as a courtesy. Thanks to Uber Diva Diana Ross, I was first introduced to Thierry Mugler's incredible collection. I have been a fan ever since. But back to A*ngel men, to this day, it is the only fragrance that I wear. I use to wear it daily, but, since I am now semi-retired, I don't wear cologne everyday. The wonderful aroma of this cologne is alluring and sexy. The blend of sweets w/the oils is beyond seductive. I am proud that it has become my signature scent. When my best friend mentioned in passing, that this is "just the way I smell", I smiled proudly to myself. Women tend to notice it rather quickly......not so much men, as of yet. I use the body wash when I am going out for a special evening. Thanks to the astute fashion sense of one Saks sales associate, it was recommended that I try Khiel's Coconut Body Lotion to compliment the A*ngel Men. Wow, how perfect is that. In my obsession with the scent, I have tried other products including the Angel cream, deordorant and some of the other scents. None have quite reached the level of appeal, A*ngel Men still holds for me 13 years new! All the different redolences gently fold into each other creating this highly unique scent that will have people intimating "how pleasant it is to be around you".
    I cannot say enough about this gorgeous, towering achievement from Monsieur Mugler.

Adventure Quasar by J del Pozo

The green colour of this juice and bottle are somewhat misleading as it might lead one to expect a herbal concoction reminiscent of Paco Rabanne. Instead we have a clean, crisp, fruity & sparkling fragrance that in my opinion is what the rather synthetic smelling Hugo should aspire to smell like. There is indeed some association in my mind between the fragrance and a crisp, cool sparkling G&T, thus I believe a sapphire blue colour for the juice similar to that of Hugo or Chrome, and a chromed bottle would have best suited the character of this fragrance – is this my mind playing tricks on me after I became aware that there is Bombay Gin note in this? Nevertheless, despite its crispness, there is also a nice fruity warmth to the smell without the metallic/newsprint edge of the exalted original Quasar - although there is a detectable family resemblance between the two - or the aloofness of Cool Water. In my opinion the fragrance is versatile and not in the least bit ‘dark’, perhaps making it best suited to daytime or office wear and would probably suit anyone from their late teens upwards. This also has excellent staying power and sillage on my skin. Has a great chunky bottle design that is almost identical to the original Quasar, and can easily be found at remarkably cheap prices that defy the high quality of this fragrance. I like both of your Quasar fragrances very much – great job Jesus!

16 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 April, 2011)

nout's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eau de Lalique by Lalique

Edit 4-26-2012
    Still loving it.
    For me a classic, my favourite fragrance
    Recently ordered two big bottles, praying this fragrance will not get out of production.

My original review:
    I have been wearing this fragrance for a couple of months and I can say in confidence that this will remain one of my favorites, I love this smell!
    Never cloying, no matter how much you apply.
    I never get tired of it, I don't have to be in the right mood to enjoy it, it just is a very pleasant scent.
    I cannot imagine anyone not liking it.

Describing it is rather difficult, it smells a bit like a mint tea, though the mint eventually vanishes into more herbal notes, but very discrete.
    It is a light and not very sweet scent but still manages to produce great sillage.
    5 stars out of 5.

16 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2012)