Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

LiveJazz's avatar

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

This was by far my favorite Axe scent (back when I used to wear Axe). I think it appealed to be because a) everyone I knew was wearing Pheonix, b) Pheonix smelled too soapy to me at the time, and c) it was sweet and seemed distinctive compared to other body sprays. I still think it's a pretty nice scent, and I have to give it credit for being the first product I wore solely because I thought it smelled good. Kilo singlehandedly sparked my interest in fragrance.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lola by Marc Jacobs

Lola, L O L A, Lola... I wonder if the reference to the Kinks song is intentional? Lola smells like a tacky transvestite, or rather like a tacky teenage girl really. The opening reminds me of synthetic sour green apple candy, then it turns into a vaguely melony/aquatic fruity floral. The colourful bottle doesn't make sense to me, I'd expect some big vampy floral or floriental, perhaps with some cherry or plum or strawberry or suchlike thrown in from the fruit department, but it's really more of a pale green scent. I can just imagine it coming out of the green bottle in a set of pastel hued Barbie perfumes! It's not sickly-sweet, at least I grant it that, but it's so undescribably, unpleasantly synthetic it makes my nose tickle and itch. If it were sweet, it would make my stomach turn, as it is, it assaults my respiratory organs instead. Horrid, really.

scentsitivity's avatar

Amber & Spices by Montale

I too am disappointed with this one. Lots of spice (cumin especially in the opening), some sourness, but amber? I really don't get it here. I find it to be rather uninteresting.

Also, I subsequently read that this has aoud. To me, it has none of the vitality that other Montale aoud offerings have.

nthny's avatar

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

Aomassai didn't impress me initially. I originally found the caramel opening lacking in richness, as if caramel syrup were cut 50/50 with water, a very strange sensation. But I came to appreciate the way this less intense sweetness melds so seamlessly with a grassy accord which I can't say is the straight up vetiver note I've come to know. No, this really smells like grass, but again, smoothed out, almost watered down -- a painting in water colors. Toasted hazelnuts, watery grass and watered down caramel whose warm, burnt notes come into focus later on in the development, soft spice, silky woods: The result is a very intriguing, modern, somehow sophisticated and chic combination. This grassy accord, I just can't get enough of how oddly satisfying it is juxtaposed, or I should technically say, woven into, these softly sweet gourmand notes.

I also thought of Mechant Loup while trying to get at the heart of this fragrance. Though they don't smell alike, I think Mechant Loup is an easy fragrance to draw a parallel with to a certain degree because they have a similar "weight" (come to think of it, Aomassai has a very L'Artisan sensibility while retaining commendable lasting power) and they both have gourmand notes and a gourmand feel but intriguingly, they are initially not warm fragrances, but rather, almost cool, wistful, melancholic, evocative of something outside their sweet notes. I know I'm falling prey to the perfumer's description of his own scent but when I wear this, I do feel transported somehow to a vast, open African plane, sitting in the tall grass, the wind carrying something sweet, burnt, cooking above a distant fire. I'm sold. Aomassai is not only a wonderful work of art but also an incredibly satisfying, wearable and versatile fragrance.

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Opulence in a fragrance. Everything about this is luxuriant, rich, and over the top, and I just love it - it's my favorite amber.

The opening accords are lightly spicy and boozy, richly sweet, and very strong. Dessert wine; honeyed tea; hot apple cider - I find it difficult pin-point just what analogy can convey the effect. It is quite a complex fragrance and almost assaults you for the first little with its heady bouquet, but it's neither harsh nor garish. In the heart, a heavily animalic amber emerges, still sweet but now thickly musky and touch dirty at that. As it develops, the amber turns dark and faintly smoky towards the base.

The sillage and longevity are both very good on me, as ambers in general tend to be.

Tea/Rose by CB I Hate Perfume

A beautiful tea and rose fragrance that lasts mere seconds. How does one even review a fragrance with this little longevity...?

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

Starts out intriguingly earthy but quickly morphs into an intense accord of BEETS. I know this vegetable too well to smell anything else, and while the picture painted is vivid, it's not a smell I want on my skin.

AromaX's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Interesting scent - completely in style of Serge Lutens with its pronounced sugary sweet exotic oriental base. To me it opens with incense, burnt sugar and smoke combined with a balsamic coniferous breeze of fir needles. It's deep and introvert. For me it's a perfect autumnal scent to walk in a park or forest - somewhere you can be alone with nature.

Osmoz shows amber, fruits, spices and vetiver in its pyramid. Well - I don't really get amber - rather burnt sugar combined with sweet resins (that is perfectly nice with me). Fruits - they are a bit undefined - sometimes I get a fruity note (like peaches), but it's not really easy to name. Spices - just enough to strengthen and brighten the composition - like a pinch of salt. Vetiver is pretty transperent to me - a salty woodiness.

It's interesting to see the play of warm woody sugary resins and cool notes of incense and fir. Sometimes it can turn into a kind of tooth-paste note. But fortunately not that often. In general it sits pretty close to the skin (although I'd expect a greater silage) - this one is quiet, but really remains to be noticeable and long-lasting.

Tony T's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

pull over sir and take this breathalizer. you smell of rum and caramel and sugar.very gourmand and boozy. not as sweet as amen but the accord is their. it definately projects,at least 6 hours of major sillage.discontinued so if you find a deal like i did pick it up. different from the norm in mr. mugler's twisted mind!!!

glitteralex's avatar

Forever Krystle by Charles of the Ritz

I just came across a vintage splash bottle of this in EdT form. I must admit that it seems to have suffered oxidation, and I fear the bergamot note has lost some of its freshness. After a few seconds of the 'alcohol' note, a heart of plasticky vanilla rose atop a synthetic resin comes through. The musk makes an appearance after about 15 minutes. I do not see vanilla in the notes, but I am sure it is there. The scent is fairly simple, and linear in nature. Not a complex or symphonic perf. I can see where it would be well-loved by those who wore it, "Forever Krystle" has good and identifiable sillage and longevity. This is most certainly a drugstore frag by nature (many of which I love!), even if it was sold in department stores.

brrrry's avatar

Angélique Encens by Creed

Absolutely beautiful, from start to finish. Sillage is well above average and that whiff you get keeps pulling your wrist closer to your nose. Vibert is right on the money in that I definitely get an animalic note (cumin, maybe, as he mentioned) in there somewhere. I have worn this four times and tonight I got it for the first time. It's only there for about 5 to ten minutes but it is there and it is in charge for that short period. The rest of the time is spent with vanilla and incense in what others here have described as an unbelievable drydown. It is really hard for me to conceive that this is from 1933. It has a 70's/80's vibe to me, and IMO seems way ahead of it's time, compared to others from the same era. I only visit this once in a while but what a treat when I do.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Attar by Montale

Attar opens with none of the bitterness of Royal, Lime, Steam or Black Aoud, it also arrives much quicker at its main act. It straddles the boundary of a daywear and an eveningwear fragrance. In weight it lies midway between Steam Aoud and Black Aoud, having all of Steam Aoud’s versatility and some of Black Aoud's sensuality. The Sandalwood and rose are so perfectly balanced that it’s not possible for me to tell which is the dominant element overall, one minute it’s the rose the next the sandalwood.

Attar is a very linear fragrance with an ability to get straight to business after application. I get a decent amount of noticeable presence for 6-7 hours on my skin. Soft and sweet, but never too rich, Attar is probably the Montale I would apply the most. Given the opportunity I’d still jump quicker to put on Black or Lime Aoud.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Note Ambrée by Martine Micallef

Smooth delicious , sweet amber ,quite beautiful and subtle . There is nothing raw and unrefined about this perfume.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

This is a welcome and successful update of the original seventies classic. I am fond of the original, but as I mature and my tastes broaden, I find it harder to remain as enthusiastic about it. Modern Reserve is a much more refined and versatile fragrance than its older sibling, but retains much of the spirit that beguiled a generation.

The ginger-like qualities of the cardamom, lend the opening a lightly spiced tone that give the proceedings a feeling of refinement. There are no dominant top notes, just a nicely balanced aromatic blend of harmonizing ingredients. Once the opening notes recede, things start to feel a little greener and tighter. The heart notes are vetiver driven, but the feeling of warmth supplied by the incense is very pleasing. The shift to the incense displays Modern Reserve’s sensual and soothing side, a very welcome development from the original.

Modern Reserve may not make the impact that the original did 31 years ago, but it has earned the right to be uttered in the same breath. Producing an updated version of Polo was no mean feat, and I applaud Ralph Lauren for succeeding with such aplomb.

Frip's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The way your crotch would smell after dumping talcum powder down your shorts and running the Phoenix marathon.

SFLizbeth's avatar

Magie Noire by Lancôme

This is absolutely a distinctive, sensual, and mysterious fragrance. A truly exotic scent with woods, incense, musk, civet and deep rose in the base. It's intense and will wear you if you're not ready for it. This is neither for the faint of heart, nor for someone who likes fruity-frosted sugar bombs. No fruit-ozone-marine-air freshener here. A scent befitting a femme fatale, in full possession of her feminine wiles.
    Unfortunately, this scent is getting harder to find, Lancome just discontinued their lotion and now only carry the EDT. And the reformulated EDT is not as green or deep as the original. This scent is a masterpiece.

abbyabby's avatar

Touch for Women by Burberry

love love love touch!
    smells clean like shampoo at first
    then turns kinda masculline
    then soft and super sexy
    not headachy at all, really natural smelling
    i usually like simple smells without alot of note so i was hesitant
    but i am soo glad i tried this one, my new favorite!

pinkfizzy's avatar

Idole d'Armani by Giorgio Armani

Wow, not bad! I haven't liked any of the Armani fragrances I've smelled so far--Armani Mania and Code were fairly nauseating to me--but I'd actually wear this one. Online I've seen it described as a spicy floral, but I don't smell much spice in it, maybe a tiny bit of ginger in the drydown. The opening is too sweet for my tastes, sort of a candied pear and citrus. The standard rose and jasmine follow. The drydown is my favorite part. It's difficult to pick out individual notes here, but the whole is well-balanced and generally more interesting than most new releases I've smelled recently. It's a little like Michael by Michael Kors without the tuberose, which I also like, although both scents are sweeter than I usually go for. Nice work. It goes well with the Armani trashy-but-luxe brand image. (His women's clothes are generally expensive-call-girl wear. And I mean that in the best possible way.)

This will probably appeal to women looking to graduate to something a little classier than their fruity-vanilla ethylmaltol scents. I hope. I don't see how this scent could offend anyone. I like it, and I'd wear it if given it, but I wouldn't buy it.

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

The opening notes fail to impress me, which strangely enough puts me at ease now that I'm more wary of scents with 'big hooks' in the top. As the middle reveals the calming lavender I realise the 'aqua' in this is likely metaphorical. This is a breezy, soothing scent akin to taking an afternoon dip in the pool. HERRERA AQUA is fuss-free and easily wearable, right down to the smooth and pleasant drydown. Suitable for all those occasions when the only statement you wish to make is 'No comment'.

----------- from fragrantica.com -----------
    TOP: bamboo leaves, mandarin orange, fig leaf, bergamot
    MIDDLE: rosemary, white pepper, lavender, neroli
    BASE: tonka bean, amber, musk and vetiver

Tokyo by Kenzo

Winter in the orient. That's the impression I got when I took my first sniff of this cool lightly spiced fragrance. And for that alone I must applaud the house of Kenzo. The use of ginger is deft yet subtle, the note often fleeting but when it does appear, it is unmistakable and I find myself back in a Japanese restaurant refreshing my palate with a slice of pickled ginger before my next sushi. Unfortunately both sillage and longevity are suspect and I certainly don't fancy the idea of having to re-apply it every 2 hours. TOKYO is nonetheless a fine scent which sits well with me. But Tokyo being the bustling city that it is, I would sooner call this 'Hokkaido' or as zztopp pointed out, 'Kyoto'. Maybe we just tend to romanticize these things...

Only The Brave by Diesel

A trendy scent and I don't mean it in a good way. Ambery sweet with a hint of spice, like twenty other scents I've sampled this year alone. And what leather are they talking about? To claim that there is 'leather' when none exists is indeed a brave thing to do. Unless my nose fails me, I suspect someone probably screwed up and forgot to include it in the brief to the perfumer.

Like I said, this is an extraordinary scent. Extraordinarily common. Only the brave would laugh in the face of trends and walk his path alone if necessary. Only the brave would pick this tacky bottle up and calls it 'original'...and 'bravely' joins the ranks of 'only the inexperienced', 'only the deluded', well...you get the drift. While this is not a bad scent, ONLY THE BRAVE ventures into safe, well known territory and that also-ran attitude has little in common with the word 'brave'. I guess the guys at Diesel must have an oddly wicked sense of humor. Now if only one particular finger in the bottle fist-design sticks out...that would have been brave.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Private Number for Men by Etienne Aigner

I had a bottle of this in 1997. I also remember it as being an extraordinarily smooth and elegant fragrance, with prominent sandalwood and vanilla notes and no hard edges. It's a great mystery to me why this distinctive and classy scent was dropped as I would have loved to have made it my signature fragrance now.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Very synthetic smelling right from the start due to the calone, but certainly not unpleasant. With average longevity and sillage, it probably works best as a daytime urban casual or office scent, especially suited for the summer. Its complete lack of sensuality means it can be used by anyone from the mid-teens upwards. However, there is also an immaturity to the scent which probably gives it a 50 year old upper age limit IMO. It might also pass as a refreshing unisex fragrance. This one tends to remind me of Lanvin L'Homme but is not quite as crisp or distinctive as that classic. Like many Boss fragrances, Boss Element is currently overpriced bearing in mind its averageness. Perhaps the best thing about this synthetically fruity, light and sporty scent is its oxygen-tank bottle design, which in its larger guises I find handsomely crystal clean and emphasizes the ozonic concept of the fragrance perfectly.

Blimunda77's avatar

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

I bought a sale-price decant of this without having tried it! So it was a gamble! But i usually love earthy, truffley notes and wintery inspired perfumes - and the gamble paid off.

I expected it to be along the lines of a CB perfume, which I admire but often find them more evocative of a real-life smell rather than feeling like a 'perfume'. Whereas Sienne L'Hiver somehow managed to smell like a man-made scent whilst retaining all the earthly elements that it drew from. Very, very nice. I probably would not have bought if if i had sampled it first, but I am glad i have 8mls in my collection and will enjoy wearing it this winter!

SMELLGOODYEAY's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I´ve worn it off and on for about five years now-still love the original scent !

annaprim's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

There's a trick to wearing this beautiful scent, and that is to use very little. Just as I wouldn't set my stereo speakers in the windows and blast the whole neighborhood every time I wanted to hear a bit of Wagner, so it is with Fracas. Those who own the eau de parfum in the spray bottle, you may want to consider spraying one small spray into the cap, then using your finger to daub just a bit on.

The scent is different to me depending on how much I'm wearing. When I wore Fracas as I would any other fragrance---by spraying it directly onto the skin---my main impression was that of jonquil. Now I detect more tuberose and the experience is delightful.

Foggy's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

I sooo wanted to like this perfume but unfortunately it's way too plastic and synthetic smelling for me. It reminds me of the smell of old plastic lawn chairs left out in the sun too long. The flowery notes are too brief and I can not detect any woodiness at all.

Foggy's avatar

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

At first I hated this. When I first tried it on it smelled exactly like a dark corner of Home Depot's lumber section. But 2 tries later something changed. I finally was able to smell the warm, sweet woodiness and now I really like it. My husband in fact says I smell like pastry!

sniffman's avatar

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

HAZMAT stuff, with a horribly long-lasting longevity that tortures for hours. Brillo pad needed for scrubbing off.

17th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 02nd February, 2014)

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

La Collection Particulière Passage No. 4 by Christian Dior

A vavavoom version of the rose/amber accord Stella and the rose/amber/spices of Lancôme's Mille et une Roses. Thumbs up for quality.

18th September, 2009