Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

cedriceccentric's avatar

La Collection Particulière Passage No. 9 by Christian Dior

My favorite of the 3 exclusive Passage scents. A warm sensual tuberose. Bold, strong and very blond! Yeah, definitively something Donatella Versace would love even if it's Dior (she loves her tuberose). Very well composed/quality ingredients with just a bit of vulgarity to make it memorable.

I would have a full bottle but I''m not as rich or blond as Donatella. Too bad!

mikey_p's avatar

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

Once innovative and inspiring, now tired and overdone. The Calone/Helional overdose was very much of its time and made this memorable. However, this can me smelled miles away and is totally unpresentable. I'm totally over the 90's.

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

A SUPERB classic here in Brazil..
    I bet it has copaiba oil in it...this is the green secret.

10 thumbs up!

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2009)

Oaksbluff's avatar

Index Bergamot Citrus by Fresh

Implementing the Sanchez Turin Binomial Expression: citronella candle.

While this could be good for someone who fetishizes summer evening backyard bug warfare, I will pass, thank you.

Sugandaraja's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

In MKK I smell a sweet, almost creamy, and quite powdery accord with a slightly fecal background of musk, castoreum, and civet. The effect is a little like an elephant hidden behind lace curtains, and much more innocent than naughty. I find it about average in strength, totally linear, and very pleasant to wear, if not quite inspiring enough to make it worth a trek to Paris.

Of course, given that musk anosmia is quite common, I might just not be smelling what others are.

Morgaine's avatar

Amande Honorable by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

A powdery mess with an overly synthetic feel to it. The vaguely citric top notes fade fast and make way for a suffocating, nauseating powder that recalls Donna Karan Cashmere Mist. Tried it twice, scrubbed it twice. One of the few truly awful fragrances.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

I didnt like this one a bit. not even a bit. wouldnt wear it even if offered a bottle for $5. smells like pinesol cleaner which moves on to be softer and cleanign agent kind of musk. this myabe the harshest feeback i have ever written but thats how badly CM treated me. im totally with Slarty on this. SAMPLE FIRST - in capital.

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

opening accord, which is also the signature accord of this scent is dry, hazy brown in texture with a boozy tinge. The brown texture smells like one has "grated" dried coriander leaves and cumin in hand and smelling them upclose. it has that kind of bite, as in one can feel the tingling sensation in nose as if one were smelling freshly grated (dried) spices. to this add sweet powdery notes of Tea..one is reminded of L'Artisan classic Tea for two for a moment with the way Tea is executed...by mid accords supple notes of saddle leather along with precious amber exudes a rich powdery glow. This accord persists thruout only turning smoky and powdery towards the base. this is one of the best offerings by PdE and easily one of the best Amber based scent out there. whats more is the luxurious transitions all brown in texture but totally different essences; spices in begining with booze, then leather, then Amber.
    One might feel repelled by it at first, but give it a wear as an sotd and chances are you will be enchanted by the way it performs on skin and the sillage it exudes. piece of art i'd say.

Kiki Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

take out chocolate and patchouli from A*men and and adda liberal dose of lavender and sticky fruity accord, what you get is Kiki. is very tenacious thruout and opens with rock solid lavender and caramel with "Montale mukhallat" like fruity accords. i just cant shake the A*Men association, very clearly it's a take on it and it does it nicely without getting too cloying in the fruity dept.. not for me, but for those who like those accords, why not? would last 24+ hours with a lovely trail.

Pure by Boadicea the Victorious

Pure is clean in it's approach, it's loud, yet clean and to an extent tranparent. the citrus blended pretty well with green accord giving it a green tinge. i just love the way this green accord is executed. Under the green tinge a prominent accord of Ylang-Ylang and Jasmine swirls up pretty smoothly exudin a fresh breath of florals...the beauty of this scent starts after half hour where oakmoss and woody notes gives this scent a powdery smooth feel as opposed to the sharp accords in openin. green accords gets smoother and jasmine gets a bit more prominent with lovely accords of wood. overall a pleasant scent. doesnt have the ooomphs of a guerlain or a dior but, for wht it has to offer, it does it well. and yes, it's pretty much unisex.

SirSlarty's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

Bellodgia is still in production now. I happen to have a bottle of the formula that was in production in the late 60's or early 70's. It is marked Eau de Cologne Bellodgia.

Bellodgia starts off very musty and confusing so I recommend putting it on a couple of minutes before walking out the door. When this settles, it becomes THE epitome of what a carnation would smell like if it was a spice. Cinnamon, cloves and herbal spices mix with the soft rose-like accord of carnation and settles into a floral mossy and animalic musk.

Bigsly's avatar

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

This is very nicely done, subtle and nicely blended (in other words, not too much or too little). If you consider yourself a "power frag" guy, though, skip this one; you will likely consider it too weak. It is similar to Diesel Fuel for Life Men, but this is subtler and has more ingredients, making it more complex, though not necessarily more dynamic (I'd say that they both have good dynamism). What I especially like is that it is not an outright gourmand fragrance, but instead weaves the gourmand elements into a "hybrid" kind of scent. I'd call the sillage moderate, but if it was more powerful, this might come across as nauseating to a lot of people, so just spray more if you want a more powerful presentation. Ever since trying the extremely dry woody/incense frags more than a year ago, I've sought a dry fragrance that didn't irritate me. Diesel Fuel for Life Men and this one fit the bill, though DFfLM is stronger and lasts longer.

illyria's avatar

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Yep, it's very close to Aromatics Elixir. So much so that if I had that, I wouldn't need to get this. But having said that, as a woman I'd happily wear Aramis 900. And I'd be happy to smell it on a man. It's really rather nice.

L'Aventurier's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

While many will complain that this is "rain water, a pretentious piece of crap or the emperor's new clothes," I can only say one thing about L'Antimatiere: You smell it or you don't.

When I first tried it, it was during hay fever season, and so I smelled next to nothing. Come the end of fall, I went for a jog and cleared my sinuses, then took another stab at L'Antimatiere. Lo and behold, it was super potent, with an overload of white musk, the *slightest, almost unnoticeable touch of something salty and animalic (I'm guessing this is the ambergris) and a touch of vetiver in the top notes. It's no surprise that L'Antimatiere is hard to smell, as the molecules must be enormous, granted how musky it is (musk molecules tend to be big). You really need to have your sinuses clear if you want to smell it in all its glory. Otherwise, L'Antimatiere tends to pop in and out of consciousness, sometimes only becoming noticeable when you're not paying attention. Not only is it hard to smell unless you're allergy-free, but olfactory habituation tends to occur remarkably fast with L'Antimatiere as well.

I definitely do not find it light, and I can also vouch for 48+ hour longevity. I remember taking a shower two days later and suddenly being overcome with a cloud of white musk. Somehow it manages to pop out again when your body heats up.

I can't say I didn't enjoy L'Antimatiere, but for someone who doesn't like white musk, it just didn't cut it for me. I do however think it's a great piece of art, and definitely smells like the olfactory equivalent of invisible ink. It also layers remarkably well with Mitsouko (as Isabelle Doyen has been known to do herself), however Mitsouko EdP is already perfect in my mind, and doesn't require any tampering, however tempting it may be.

8.25/10

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Active Bodies by Adidas

Classic, veryyyyy popular in poland its something like AdG in other countries or dior homme in paris (about 100 sold products per week on polish ebay [allegro.pl]), it is with me since I turned 15, at first spray Aldehydes and Lemon kicks your nose hard I dont pick up any lavender, I must say I dont like top notes as much as drydown, longlasting and with above average sillage, 3 spritz is max, while its not for me anymore I keep it in my wardrobe to back to my 90's

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Aoud Lime by Montale

Aoud Lime opens with a sharp and bitter blast, though I can’t promise it’s lime that I get. Half an hour in and I get the beginning of soft, but ever so slightly bitter floral notes. These florals clean up into very gentle, fresh and clear rose over the period of the following hour. Like with Attar there is Sandalwood but it’s much more in the background. As a male I feel that rose fragrances need something like fragrant wood to suit my gender, in Lime Aoud (and Attar) the sandalwood provides a more smooth finish. Great longevity and a great daywear fragrance, Aoud Lime only needs a better name.

With so many excellent oud Montales, that are slight variations on a theme, it’s quite hard to pick out which to plumb for in the shop. Maybe what’s needed is an Aoud collection containing a wide range of 10ml mini’s. For me I’d have to pick Attar, Black Aoud and Lime Aoud.

JonB's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

A nice balance of smoky vetiver and cedar. The vetiver is not overly raw or harsh. The overall effect is that of a nice, but dry cedar scent. I don't find anything resembling ink, nor anything to wax poetic about. Nice, but I don't think I need a bottle. A pretty simple scent overall.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

A mere imitation of its former self, but still an intriguing blend of booze and slightly bitter florals. The opening is light and evokes the image of a rose dipped in a tumbler of whisky. It becomes more floral and sweet with the introdcution of jasmine, but never yielding to the feminine side. With a similar base note composition to Aramis, the dry down is rich, aromatic and lends the fragrance an air of simple refinement. It has a moderate longevity, feels quite contained, and is undoubtedly suitable for wear by either sex.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Hot Water by Davidoff

The conveyor belt of flankers from Davidoff churns out yet another fragrant vacuum. There are literally thousands of products like this, almost indistinguishable from each other. Hot Water really is as obvious as the name would suggest, its formulaic, redundant, vapid, and I am tiring of synonyms now. Thumbs down to Davidoff for being so timid, but the fragrance is too non-descript to give a thumbs up or down.

Stephan's avatar

Santalum by Profumum

This fragrance is a perfect and simple combination of sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon. The lasting power is excellent. In the Profumum collection, it's my favorite together with Olibanum. Santalum is much brighter than Olibanum and I keep it for my happy days. This scent is not for an introvert!

Stephan's avatar

Olibanum by Profumum

It is my comfort scent. Peaceful, a little sad. Sillage and longevity are moderate. It is very similar to Rock Crystal (Durbano), but it smells cleaner, not as smokey, not as spicy. I prefer it.
    I don't wear this fragrance when I have to seduce others.
    The dry down is heaven (especially on clothes), it comes about 30 minutes after the opening.

Revlon's avatar

Fire & Ice for Men by Revlon

If Revlon only advertised their products more!
    Fire and Ice for Men is one of my all time favourites - genius.
    When so many modern fragrances smell exactly the same, it genuinely stands out. Great to see some fans too.
    I am still on the hunt for the "Smoulder" version.

Revlon's avatar

True Blue by Revlon

Light, fresh and modern. Quite sweet, with "ocean" tones, bordering on unisex.
    Beautiful packaging. Also try True Blue Extreme for a harder hitting fragrance.

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Complex, weird and poetic. Oh, you want more? Difficult scent to break down, especially the beautiful and unusual opening that shrouds what is to come. I find the heart to be a bit intimidating at first thanks to its exploding soapiness that almost veers into feminine territory but just pulls back in time and becomes intriguing bittersweet. Very seventies and somehow very reassuring (memories of childhood, that whole Proustian thing.) Yet calling it outdated is meaningless. Unless one means VC&A belongs to an era with better taste, in which case I have to agree (looking at the great fragrances released just in the year 1978 is quite humbling.)

It reads as an intelligent macho scent (there is just something...horny yet bookish about it, just today I thought of Serge Gainsbourg as the perfect wearer, although he probably didn't care about perfumes). Yet because of its force, style and play between male and female it is also another fragrance that could have been named Le Dandy. Longevity is really good, in the 10+ hour range. Should be tested before purchase by most (although a certain kind of fraghead with experience in the Azzaro Pour Homme - Jules - Paco Rabanne Pour Homme triangle will know what to expect...and love this.) I'm off writing poems about the ghosts of dead children and some evil flowers.

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 April, 2010)

shamu1's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy For Men seems to be almost ignored on the discussion boards here at Basenotes, and I don't understand why. Is it because it's not particularly complex? Is it because it's not expensive, or that it doesn't use the word "Aoudh" in its name? Is it because it's not discontinued yet? Is it because people feel they can't brag about owning a "vintage version"? I don't get it, because Envy, eleven years after its release, still distinguishes itself as a unique, beautiful, sexy and spicy oriental fragrance in a land of dull acquatics and the endless mind-numbing train of hyped-up, over-priced niche scents.

I agree with other reviewers that Envy doesn't really evolve, but rather it settles down and mellows out for its duration. It's as if it has various layers of notes which gradually peel off over time, each time revealing the notes below each layer: it's invigorating opening accord of ginger and spice fades and gives way to a heart of rich wood notes underneath it, which eventually fade and yield to a simple but rich spicy vanillic base. I don't agree with those who say that Envy is a serious fragrance for only formal occasions - Envy is a red-blooded scent, a scent with a wild side, which is apparent in its sweet spiciness. This isn't spicy in the somewhat stodgy manner of Bois du Portugal - Envy is a smooth but hot-blooded romantic.

My sole complaint is that its longevity is rather poor for such a spicy scent - about 5 hours on my skin. Also, sillage fades rather quickly. On first spray, it projects quite far, but within an hour, Envy becomes very much a "skin" scent. On the other hand, considering Envy's romantic feel, perhaps it is appropriate that this can be only smelled at close quarters...

Thumbs up for Envy For Men.

Antaeusintheair's avatar

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

Absolutely brilliant citrusy opening with a kinky leather but disappeared after two hours (a generous sample test). I'd love an edp or parfum concentration.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Polo by Ralph Lauren

If you grew up with a wardrobe of wimpy watered down bubble-bath colognes, POLO would probably be too much for you and your whussy friends to handle. That's ok. This gentlemen's club doesn't need you. Not that you meet the entry requirements in the first place. Go back to your tutti-fruities and please take your girlfriend with you. She's still hanging around outside wondering where the guy who smells so fabulously different went.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I grew up near the sea so I know the smell of seaweed; it is essentially briny but probably too subtle to have that much of an impact on a fragrance. In any case Ralph Lauren's website only mentions a 'sea breeze' accord which instantly made me think of Ferragamo's Subtil, just not POLO SPORT. For me, this scent opens with an effervescent, alcohol-fueled sucker punch which jolts you awake before settling down to a sweet somewhat boozy miasma of 'cucumber and melon', to my nose at least, without relying on cheat sheets. I know fresh aquatics get little love around here but this one gets mine; I finished 2 bottles of the juice! So if you're sick of yours, be a sport, send them my way. And remind me again why Cool Water finished second best in the early '90s.

chamelion's avatar

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

a baby powdery bland version of blue jeans with no longevity and very cheap chemical smell

chamelion's avatar

Bellagio for Men by Fragluxe

great aquatic scent that will draw compliments this stuff is amazing

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2009)