Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Blue Jeans by Versace

ok scent fresh and lively but nothin really outstanding is offered here smells like a LOT of other scents on the market but nice priced tho

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2010)

Voyage by Nautica

best of the nauticas IMO its a very fresh clean feeling scent with nice ocean breezes and a phenomenal casual wear scent

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2009)

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

the best of the fresh scents the anise and citrus are PERFECT and really bring out the opening and it dries into a very sexy sensual woodsy base with rich spices and a great raspberry sillage that totally makes this stuff a great buy

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

Mandalay Bay Blue for Men by Vapro International

excellent fresh oriental nice refreshing scent its definately perfect for casual wear and great for the price but not something i would wear to impress anyone

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2009)

autumn89's avatar

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

A friend of mine wears this. It sets my migraines off. Truly awful.

Adidas Moves by Adidas

can't go wrong with this one...really good for working out or just casual wear. Don't expect awesomeness, but a solid piece.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

mmmm smells good. ya I like it. Just bought it today. It's not like most, or any of the scents out there today. I could see why this was popular back in my parents day. Very clean and fresh smell. Good projection, good duration, good smell. Smells like a hybrid of barbershop meets the forest I'd have to say lol. Not sure yet if i'd wear on a social outing or if i'd use it as my signature (thats reserved for Abercrombie Fierce :D ), but I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Boy was I off base with this one. I really only judged it on the opening (im an experienced nose) Please forgive me. I now get a rich smell of cinnamon/nutmeg/rich vanilla. I love it. Glad I gave it another chance. Longevity could be greater but isn't too bad, and sillage is just right for what this cologne sets out to achieve. Highly recommended! Hope to try London soon.

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

Unforgivable by Sean John

Shockingly expensive for how NOT good it is....smells nasty when i sprayed it, and the drydown wasnt much better. Seriously, axe would be a far better choice than this Raid smell alike. I am a fan of axe, but only a few of their scents and of course in moderate amounts!

I am King by Sean John

Now I know i dont have as mature or sophisticated a nose as some of the respected members here, but even I can tell crap from quality. This stuff is no good...really...just bad and really, really expensive. Go for axe fever or axe kilo (my favorite axe sprays), much better than this.

Flame by Burger King

haha is this a joke? I kinda want to try this now :o

Power by 50 Cent

G-UNOT...yep 50 fails yet again. I think fiddy went downtown NY, bottled up some sewage, and labeled it "power." Yep, complete crap. would stay away from this if possible.

annalyssa's avatar

Perles de Lalique by Lalique

Wow. Yesterday I sprayed this on a card and wasn't all that impressed.
    Tried it on today and wow it is SO comforting and beautiful.

smellofvictory's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

Love it...one of the first colognes I ever had as a young teenager, but it still smells incredible. So clean and very masculine, to me.

Black Mask's avatar

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Tiffany For Men is an assured, complex fragrance that is not immediately accessible. I find an unfamiliar, pungent note in the opening that is a bit aggressive for my taste (I'm told this is rosewood), but as its acerbic urgency dries down this accord gives a unique strength to the total experience of the fragrance.

On first impression this is not an immediately beautiful fragrance. Nor is it an immediately comforting fragrance, But it is provides an extraordinarily deep, ever changing, subtle, long lasting, fascinating, and potent experience. It delivers this experience with cultured restraint.

As the top notes dry down, and the total opening aura settles, a rich oriental tapestry unfolds with a full but quiet, warm and woodsy bottom. This is a very smooth, ever evolving fragrance that leaves an attractive, full wake and that lasts many hours.

The highest compliment I can give this creation is that unlike many attractive scents: The man who wears this fragrance will define it's character to the world as much or more than this scent will define the man who wears it.

PURCHASING: I find that the least expensive, and by far the most fun and most elegant way to buy Tiffany For Men is directly from Tiffany. Most ebay and Amazon offerings are much more expensive (especially if you buy less than a 3.4 oz bottle), and even with shipping Tiffany is less expensive.

DO NOT WASTE TIME checking out the normal discount perfume sources: even if they promise Tiffany For Men in search engine results, they all are "out of stock." MY ADVICE IS TO GO DIRECTLY TO TIFFANY.

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2009)

daisyb's avatar

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Out of the bottle, one of my favorite scents in the world. The spray fades quickly on me, however, and the creme develops a sour note after it's reacted with my body chemistry for a few hours. What a pity!

Panic's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

When I first got this one, I was looking for something to replace my favorite scent because I didn't think it was in production anymore. When I first tried this, I thought it was lovely, and didn't realize how many people were wearing it.

It takes a while to drop down to the base notes on it, and it has a very sharp top note. If you're looking for sillage, this has it, and if you're looking for longevity, this one is definitely for you. It's harder to get rid of than fleas. However, much like other strong fragrances, this must be used very, VERY lightly, or it's overpowering, and you get tired of it after a while and want to wash it off to try on something different. I would much have preferred that it have come in something other than a spray bottle, as it's difficult to control a spray. If worn sparingly, it can be nice.

I, however, tired of it very quickly, and would never buy another bottle of it. It ends up cloying in large doses, and even when you *do* use it lightly, it gets kind of annoying. After a short while on your dresser, you'd rather rub vanilla extract on your wrists than use it again.

18 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 April, 2013)

JDBIII's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

What is this? L'Instant Sport? Empty, vapid and should have the name Dana written across the front. (Sorry Dana.) I am sick to death of the trash coming out of Guerlain, and I'm a Guerlainiac! When will someone with balls step up to the helm and steer this ship back to quality? Am I asking for too much?

19 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 April, 2010)

beachbabealways's avatar

Gilda by Pierre Wulff

I bought a bottle of this back in the 80's at Dillards. I MISS this perfume soooo much!!! Wish Pierre could somehow bring this back. It is the best perfume I have ever owned and when I went to buy another bottle I found out Dillards had pulled it from all the stores. :(

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Never to be outdated. When one looks at these reviews, you see consistancy in this opinion. Classics are classics. This is one of the greats and when cost is considered, clearly one of the best! Always garners compliments. What else can I say! Three thumbs up!

19 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The Cool Water thing has been over done! This is a wonderfully versatile fragrance which can be used year round. Clearly similar to CW, but on a much higher plain. The only criticism is the price. Nonetheless, I give it two thumbs!

Herbissimo Mejorana by Dana

A lovely and under appreciated fragrance. A walk in a fragrant forest! Inexpensive to boot. Not sensual, but good for office wear. Would not offend anyone, except those with multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome! As a physician, the last diagnosis is bogus! Two thumbs!

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Unisex to extreme. Wonderfully light, but too light. Very expensive for such a fleeting scent. Not bad, but not great!

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I was once enamored with scent, but it rapidly has lost it's punch.... Why? Complex, but the tobacco and vetiver do not quite match. I wear it. By the day's end, I'm tired of it. This was not my original take. Perhaps all reviewers need to have a frag in their wardrobe for at least six months, or an acquaintance with the scent for this period of time. A good scent, but not great! Especially for the price.

Himalaya by Creed

Simply wonderful and sophisticated. Best Creed, with the exception of Bois d' Portugal. An all year frag, whose only major weakness is longevity, in terms of projection. But is remains close to skin for 7-8 hours.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Marvelous scent. you must know how to use it. I find it best applied in two applications, one hour apart. Strong indeed, but evocatively masculine, and constantly gets positive remarks from the opposite sex. I think certain scents need match the wearer. This is one! Thums up!

scentsitivity's avatar

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Since no one has provided a fragrance pyramid, here are the notes, per the Jo Malone website:

Top notes: grapefruit, tangerine (citrus)
    Heart notes: rosemary, mint, pimento, jasmine (aromatic, spicy, floral)
    Base notes: vetiver, patchouli, tree moss (woody)

I find the grapefruit in the opening to be rather tame. I do get floral overtones right away. Then it becomes soapy. Anyway, I prefer bolder renditions of grapefruit than this offering.

scentsitivity's avatar

Sandalsliver by Montale

This one is a bit of enigma to me. I get contrasting bright and dark themes. Citrus, sweetness, woodiness. Yes, there is sandalwood in the background (and it smells like the profumum.it “Mysore Sandalwood”, which is my baseline for that note). But to me, Sandalsliver is as confusing on my skin as its name is to my ear. Perhaps I would appreciate it better on someone else.

rickie's avatar

Velvet Tuberose by Bath and Body Works

You know, I kinda like this.... This might sound crazy but I think it smells similar to Juicy Coutour (Spelling?) Any way, It is sweet, but not at all like Fracas or Jo Malones Tuberose, which I was hoping for more Tuberose in this as a cheaper alternative. But it is nice and very affordable.

Zut's avatar

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

I agree with those who think Midnight Poison is suitable for a man. I believe a man should wear a so-called feminine perfume if he smells good in it. And of course, a woman should wear a man's cologne if she can handle it! I tried Midnight Poison for fun because I liked the fragrance on the blotter. On me, it smelled rather woody and masculine but not very "chic". In fact, it reminded me of spruce beer!!! Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad fragrance. It is just not "great" on me. I still think it is a quality perfume and I am sure some women (and men) smell wonderful in it.