Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

shamu1's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is a beautiful scent. Perhaps my olfactory sense is deranged, but I don't smell any iced coffee or gourmand smells in Ice Men - Ice Men to me is an unbelievably smooth, transparent and beautiful patchouli scent. There is a mildly sharp cedar note and what smells like lavender in the opening and middle accords, but they can't hide the silky patchouli that is the lifesblood running through this fragrance. My favorite stage, of course, is the drydown because by then you're left with almost all patchouli.

IceMen is a very light scent, and as such it makes a lousy winter fragrance. I've worn it in cold weather, and it just smells flat - it simply doesn't have the oomph to make any impact when the air is cold. However, for such a light scent, I am very impressed with its longevity, which is about eight hours on my skin.

It is also one of the most feminine smelling masculines I've smelled in a long time, so much that I really can't find another masculine scent to compare it to. This isn't Quorum. That being said, I also think Ice Men would make a great feminine scent. Regardless of what gender you associate with this scent, I really like Ice Men and look forward to the warm weather so I can start wearing it comfortably again.

20th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2010)

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Hot Water by Davidoff

There's really something in the beginning that gives the impression of "hot" - not in the sense of high temperature but in the sense of "chilly": some spices, pimento, mixed with some fresh citrusy note. Although I'm not sure what is a chilly smell, it just made me think like this.. for some minutes, before it settles down to a little more sensual/oriental Cool Water and finally, for a quite long time a powdery quite synthetic base in the style of Kenzo Power (without the originality) or Dior Homme (missing its character) or some outdated Joop scent like Night Flight or Joop Homme.
    I recently had the same experience with Black XS: great beginning which then rapidly turns into something so generic and without character/ obsolete /banal, that onje really starts to think that this scent are made with the idea to simply provoke an impulsive buy in the first five minutes, giving imaginary 'character' to the scent and connecting it with the name. First five minutes, then it's gone and then you start asking yourself which Davidoff exactly was it on your left wrist, or was it the new CK, or a Joop from the 90's.
    I get the point. Many things happen in the first five minutes.But then...

VanillaMex's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Hypnôse by Lancôme

Am I the only one that things that THE ONE by D&G smells very similar to Hypnose? I smelled The One first and until now I received a 5ml sample of Hyponse and I found the same notes: bergamot, vanilla... Both are very strong and "migraine-unfriendly"... but I can say that the mexican women loooove them.

It's a fragrance for a classic woman, with pencil skirt, stilettos, an executive job and attitude.

pinkfizzy's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

To replicate this fragrance at home: Take a bag of strawberry cotton candy, pour some hairspray into it, add a dash nutmeg, and a lit match. Enjoy the plasticky fumes. This is my experience of Euphoria. And it will... not... wash... off! Arrrrrgh.

I can also relate to Mellivora_capensis's description: "a latex condom filled with cough syrup held by two people, one whom is wearing Beautiful and the other is wearing Obsession". Sounds like a fun party!

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

id call this stuff zorro because it stands out and totally kills all the other scents sitting besides it

take my advise buy this stuff its phenomenal

Life by Daniel Banks

this is one of the BEST edgy scents on the market and i strongly reccomend this stuff u will thank me later

i smelled this at a perfume store and it was an amazing cologne. THIS IS WHAT LIGHT BLUE AQUA DI GIO and MANY other mens scents are lacking and its highly reccomended

this has a great aromatic freshness with great projection and is long lasting and will get compliments

Z Zegna Extreme by Ermenegildo Zegna

I definately get a LOT of musk and some citrus and green notes balanced with patchouli, but this is one of those scents that totally has an edgy feel to it and really turns heads

definately a good option for a night on the town just not in my wardrobe because its out of my price range

20th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2009)

knit at nite's avatar

My Insolence by Guerlain

A HUGE opening of potent candy, followed by a headache. I would have rated it neutral because it smells so similar too many others on the current perfume counter, and it sould siut someone's taste.. But I expected more of something with Guerllain on the bottle...a lot more.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Let's get it out of the way: This is one of the greatest fragrances ever. I would not mind smelling like this for the rest of my life. Clean, incredibly masculine, almost intoxicating...like a cleaner, crisper version of Cool Water, to my nose (not that I don't absolutely love Cool Water). Like many others have noted however, you WILL remind her of some dude from her past if you wear this. Probably the most popular fragrance in the US, but for very, very good reason. Acqua Di Gio is the real deal....THE best fragrance of the 90's.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Love it. Understated, very classy, strong but not overbearing....I sprayed half a spray on myself 10 hours ago and it's still going strong.

Candie's Men by Candie's

I own this...chicks loved this when I was in 10th/11th grade but I'm 25 now, and have long outgrown this sort of thing...nice smell but you have to apply very lightly, or it is an overbearing, headache-inducing mess. Nice for summer nights if you're in high school, but if you're not, really you should look for something else.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Love it...one of the first colognes I ever wore, in 6th grade, wearing my dad's DN...fresh, yet 'dirty' and musky, unbelievable if used sparingly, it is the freakin essence of man if you know how to wear it... can be LETHAL if over applied. I would still wear this every day if I had it.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

very unique fresh scent...similar to Cool Water yet very different. Liked this since I was in junior high.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Moderate sillage, insane projection....don't get most of the top notes listed here, what I get is a strong blast of cedar with a subdued tonka bean and musk base. The cedar, to me, is predominate through the whole process. Very woodsy, very clean, very fresh. Smells very much like Acqua di Gio to me, with tonka. I love it.

20th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2009)

Sybarite's avatar

Joop! Thrill Men by Joop!

Imagine "Bulgari Black" ... Right, now strip away it's "smoke" and "rubber tire" notes. ~ Voila ! = "Joop Thrill !" ... (An almost identical "vanilla accord" used in these two !)

At first a little fresh pale apple, ... then ... a vanilla skin scent. Nothing more.

Nothing spectacular, but certainly pleasant and cozy if you like vanilla-ry scents.

20th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2011)

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

GROUP. Oriental-fougere. GENDER. Ladies you can try it (please dont forget to put the bottle back into his closet). CREATIVITY. Walks in the path of Caron's 1934 hit ''Pour Un Homme'' but finally it has its own character. Certainly the most memorable fragrance from the trio range (Bois d' Argent, Cologne Blance, Eau Noire) created under the guidance of Hedi Slimane (the talented, skinny trousers former designer of Dior Homme). DAY OR NIGHT? I was tempted several times to try it at daytime but naahhh. It is definitely an evening one. Just dont waste it with a jeans & t-shirt outfit. LONGEVITY. Amazing longevity (at least on me) so be cautious and spray only twice. COMMENTS. The powerfull and complex sweet opening where Spices come first : immortelle and ouzo (greek aperitif) with a touch of curry and cedar notes, might discourage you but please wait...the party just began. Herbals (dried sage), florals (lavender) more spices (vanilla) a little smoke and gourmand notes (burnt caramel and vanilla creme brulee) take over to drive you to a more safe path. The middle notes are more calm and relaxed and have an amazing longevity. As base notes I can detect just lavender and vanilla pod, but in a much more powdery and refined way than the middle ones. It is definitely an ingenious fragrance but its neither for everyone nor for everywhere. It is heavy, deep, black in a sweet way, and if you are not in a mood to dig hard you wont find the treasure.

21st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Holy Water by Demeter Fragrance Library

I really wanted to like this one. I love the concept, have been in many churches and appreciate the ambiance. Sadly, for me there is little to enjoy here. On me, this is a vague and wispy scent, having little substance and some rather odd notes. It starts with one of the worst, piercing rubbing-alcohol notes I’ve experienced. When this abates, I get various similar and indeterminate notes suggestive of rubber, old erasers, old sneakers left in a locker, sweaty backs on a varnished pew, and old metal keys in a church cupboard. All of these float on a thin, watery base. Not a religious experience, in my books.

odysseusm's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Notes include florals (bergamot, peony, jasmine, rose), spice (coriander, ambrette seeds), blond wood, incense, patchouli
    Not a bad scent – it starts quite well but runs out of steam at the end. The opening is a beautiful cloud of white floral notes, married with a rich citrus chord from the bergamot. The scent here is lovely, juicy, vibrant, lush but not heavy. It is a darling sort of scent, very attractive and romantic, and largely feminine. Then it moves into an interesting clean-soapy phase, with the coriander giving a fresh and woody aspect. The scent here is bright and fresh, and seems unisex to me. The dry-down is less interesting, being a light and sweet patchouli note, with predictably tangy and slightly nutty tones. This is not my style at all, but I can find some things to commend.

jenson's avatar

India India

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

extremely tenacious, thick, smoked berries and plum accords in it's openign to mids.., which means, even though the opening accord is fruity, it still has this smoked accords to it..as if it were rubbed by charcoal.... YUMMMMY !! fruity accords soften up and adds a bit of grit provided by dried tobacco leaves. the stark contrast of berries and tobacco is pure delight. accords turn pretty vanillic ambery here after and stays linear. classy, suave and sexy. wear it for casual evenings out or parties. no wonder this is highly sought after. the quality of ingredients are top class too.

SirSlarty's avatar

Soprani Uomo by Luciano Soprani

A brief yet very pleasant green leather and okamoss scent with dabs of subtle herbs in between. Longevity was rather lacking. Smooth yet spicy and good to wear in the early fall or late spring when it's slight warm but not too cool out. The opening is sharp bergamot but that quickly settles. I find this to be somewhat generic in the spicy aromatic fougere genre.

illyria's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

I love leather and chypres, so Azuree sounded right up my alley. It's hard to find, though - even online retailers seemed to always be waiting for stock. I finally found some in Selfridges. That night I sprayed it on before going out, then proceeded to get rather drunk with friends. ;-) So I didn't wear Azuree again for a while, as it was associated in my head with 'the bed-spins'!

I tried it again recently, and I'm over the bad association (thank goodness). To me, Azuree is Bandit with a fake tan. I like it, and so does my skin, but it's a louder and less classy Bandit. I'd wear Azuree on a hedonistic holiday, or to a drag club, or to a big dressed-up but fun party. But never to the office!

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Even if the full duration of Villoresi Vetiver had remained as punchy as it did at the start I’d still adore it. Out of the bottle it was raw, bitter and earthy. It’s all about vetiver, bergamot, lavender and with a distinct nuttiness and very obvious celery note. It does soften over time but still remains as bold throughout, giving off a strong and continual earthy and smoky woods aroma.

Vetiver is wild enough to make noses around stand up and pay attention. It’s never beautiful but certainly not ugly. Imbues the wearer with a sense of sophistication and masculinity.

21st September, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2009)

Royal Aoud by Montale

Aoud Lime without the citrusy blast at the start, and a slightly different wind down. Like other Montales Aouds I’ve tried (excepting Attar) it takes half on hour for Royal Aoud to settle. Once it does it too is magical, rose that’s wearable on a male. Not my favourite Montale but certainly not far off. The only thing bringing it down for me is the sweet vanilla wind down, but really I’m just nitpicking, Royal Aoud is superb.

Rivarama by Riva

Top Notes - Lemon, aquatic notes
    Mid Notes - Juniper Berries, Black Olive, spicy Herbs
    Base Notes - Cedar wood, Patchouli, White Musk

Summery, sweet and fresh, Rivarama is quite a pleasant smell. It’s certainly not masculine, rather it’s a unisex fragrance that’s a little in the feminine side. The main thing that sticks in my mind is fruity liquorice and coconut sweets (candy).

Looking at the notes is a bit of a puzzle if I compare them to what I smell. The blending is balanced enough to make picking out the individual notes difficult. I suppose the ‘spicy herbs’ may contain basil in order to supply the liquorice, I can also pick out the white musk. Longevity isn’t bad at 5 hours, and it doesn’t project too much. Although I wouldn't wear Rivarama I still like it, too sweet for me.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

A delightfully refreshing fragrance with an outstanding take on the citrus and basil accord. Similar in style and spirit to Eau Sauvage's version, Rochas is sharper and decidedly more potent. It feels quite contained, with a modest projection, but these become its strengths when it is worn in warmer temperatures. This may not evolve a great deal, but it relies on its lightness and simplicity to win through. All in all, this is a winning formula

's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

EROLFA. It is a pleasure to finally sit down with the time to review you. After 5 months of sampling you, it's time to share my 2.

Between 2 small samples given to me from Neiman Marcus, I still have a full vial left. Over a span of 5 months I used only one. That's how well it lasted and projected on my skin. I don't understand how anyone can say this has no longevity or silliage. It's a longevity beast on me with middle ground silliage, which is what I prefer.

My typical application was a dab behind each ear and one or 2 drops to bare chest before throwing on a shirt. When applied in the morning I can still smell this on me the next day when I wake up. I'll even go as far to say that I woke up in the middle of the night once because I could smell it on my shirt laying on top of my hamper from across the room.

The juice alone is high quality. When it touches the skin it feels silky, with a tiny feeling that your compressing micro granules of some sort. It's somewhat oily, but not in a Gendarme EDP way. You can tell that Creed really does have their own method of putting together fragrance.

The beginning of Erolfa is very clean and yes, ozonic/salty. I don't know which ingredients are applied in "ozonic notes", but it starts fresh implying it's going to stay fresh. Boy is that a lie. Through-out the day it drastically changes on me to a creamy sandalwood/ambergris dry down that's somewhat dirty and masculine. Just like SMW this comes and goes, only hitting harder than SMW. While SMW is clean and airy, Erolfa is salty and dirty in its aging.

When I wear Erolfa I really do feel like THE man. It's the way I would prefer to smell when I want to be attractive and confident. It's almost what I'd expect to smell from a rich dude stepping out of a Ferrari. Perhaps this is why David Beckham wears Erolfa?

I'm actually quite glad that Erolfa doesn't get the best rap because I know many people won't be wearing it. It really does well on me and uplifts my spirit every time I get the chance to wear it. Others have asked what I'm wearing and I always lie and tell them it's something else. Call me selfish, but I don't want a good thing to go bad if you know what I mean.

Since my testing I have purchased a 4 oz bottle online and am very excited for it's arrival. Erolfa will always be a part of my fond memories and collection.

Yes, Erolfa shares a typical ambergris dry down like the rest of the millesime line, but trust me when I say this is deeper and can hold it's own.

To those who've given Erolfa a frown, I strongly suggest you give it another try and pay close attention to it's crafty transition from clean to dirty. It's the fragrance you can literally start the day with as the sun rises, and finish the day with as the sun sets.

Erolfa gets a double thumbs up.

's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Of all the Creeds, this is so far my favorite (aside from Erolfa). SMW to my nose is invigorating freshness. It is extremely clean. I don't get the "ink" connections others are getting. I DO get the petit grain and ambergris in the dry down and this is what I love the most about the Millesime line. They all somewhat dry down to that ambergris note, but have individual openings and lingering notes that set them apart.

SMW is something that isn't in your face. Like a well behaved child that tugs on your shirt every now and then to let you know they're hungry, SMW is the same. Last week me and my girlfriend tested SMW and she was complaining she couldn't smell it, but I could smell it coming and going through-out the entire day and well into the night. I still remember smelling it in line at Chipotle and thinking, damn! I love this stuff!

It is most definitely unisex. It smells different on me than my girlfriend which says why some may not like it. Gratefully, it works well on the both of us and we have a 4 oz on the way in the mail that we are going to share as a couple.

When testing SMW let it sit for hours and apply a little more than usual if you are afraid of poor longevity. It isn't a siliage monster. So sit back and enjoy it while it comes and goes. I could still smell it the next day after coming inside after mowing the lawn. It mixes awesome with sweat!

I would suggest others get out and try this awesome design. It's fantastic!

pinkfizzy's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

The first time I tried this, I was just getting into perfume and still getting my bearings. I found it much too powdery and feminine, and, I'm sorry to say, "grandmotherly". At the time I was wearing mainly Bulgari Black, which I still do, and had yet to get into florals or traditionally feminine compositions. I recently read a review of Black on Grain de Musc which called it "Shalimar for Replicants." So I went back to try Shalimar again, this time with a slightly more educated nose (and brain). They had the EdP at Sephora, which surprised me. I smelled it (after smelling a few dull new releases) and by George, I got it! It was gorgeous! I had them make up a little sample for me and have been wearing it for the past few days. The longevity is amazing, and the depth and richness of the composition are stunning. I definitely need some of this.

My boyfriend told me "Mmmm, you smell like cookies." :)

If you've tried it and been underwhelmed, try sniffing a few new releases and flankers, then try Shalimar EdP. It might just blow you away! And if you can find vintage, well, all the better I'm sure.

auee's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I am new to the world of fragrances and I never smelled anything like it. It is the driest fragrance I have experienced and now I see the need to explore this type of scent. On me, it is a dry, cedar wood fragrance with only a touch of sweetness from start to finish. I do not detect pencil shavings as there is no graphite odor to this fragrance. It is wood all of the way for and on me. I am stunned by how wonderful this smells. A must try.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

This certainly brings back the memories; my first love wore it, so did my ex wife. Herein lies the problem, scent associations by memory. People you associate certain fragrances with have the power to 'make or break' a scent for you; if you had first smelled this off an old lady, you probably tend to think of this as 'old' or 'dated'. Luckily for me I happen to associate this fragrance with 2 beautiful women who had had a huge impact on my life. Still it is with considerable conscious effort that I make an attempt to describe BEAUTIFUL for what it is: a heady floral blend with the 80's trademark sillage and longevity, and bearing an uncanny resemblance to Halston (1975). I prefer my women's perfumes to be light and teasingly fleeting, elegant and classy, or sensual and mysterious. Beautiful is none of these; not when a heavier application easily turns 'heady' into 'headache-inducing'.