Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

LiveJazz's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I'll admit that the opening is a bit hard to take. It comes screaming out of the bottle like a banshee and this wall of clove and citrus and flowers and powder and incense and artemisia and civet and who knows what else slams you in the face like an oncoming train. Experienced or not, it is a rather extreme opening. But...I like it. It's fascinating.

I don't see the evolution so much as a progression of notes, but rather a gradual fade-out of certain notes. It seems to start with everything present, then focus itself slowly. First goes the citrus, followed by the artemisia, leaving behind a powerful clove and floral accord augmented by the bright civet note. The civet starts to tone it down next, along with the heady florals, and we're left with a surprisingly mellow melange of incense and honeyed powder, with just a hint of that good old civet to add depth. And there it stays to the end.

What strikes me most about this scent is its lack of anything normally found in men's fragrances. There are no greens, barely any citrus, no wood to speak of to my nose. It's a well-blended abstraction of notes that sound like they ought to be dissonant, but work together to form a massive, sculpted block of smell. The combination of notes is so powerful and so bursting with energy that's hard to pin everything down and analyze it. I understand its detractors, but I still very much admire and like Kouros.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

GROUP.Woody-Chypre.GENDER.Strictly for Men .CREATIVITY. Just open your closet (or your dad’s) and bring to your nose your old tan leather jacket (yes, the one you have from your college days). What do you smell? Definitely Cuiron. So close to its name, describes the smell of leather in a perfect way. Not many fragrances ever did that so successfully. DAY or NIGHT? Although you can wear it day or night it is not a good choice for a sport/casual outfit. Give it a 3-piece suit and it can do miracles for you. LONGEVITY. Just great. COMMENTS. Orange blossom and bergamot top notes soon give their place to the velvety leather accord (pepper, cinnamon , cedar, oak). Mid notes simply fade to unveil a smoother interpretation of the same accord (woods –sandalwood and cedar- and subtle leather). Except the opening, the rest appears a bit linear to me but that’s fine, anyway, It is obvious that the main concern of the creator from the beginning to the end was to stay close to the name of the creation. Just leather. My only reason to review a discontinued fragrance is the hope of a re-launch. Until then, if you like Cuiron you may try Banana Republic’s Cordovan and Dirty English.

odysseusm's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

Top: clover leaf, Italian lemon
    Mid: spearmint, green tea
    Base: lily of the valley, cyclamen, pear flower
    This is a lovely green scent, a subtle and refreshing summer spritz. It has perky fresh-cut grass notes which alternate with minty notes. At first, the spearmint seems a bit aggressive and like toothpaste, but it settles down. Clover, hay and green grass notes suggest fields in the cool morning air. This scent is a cousin to Virgilio – it has the same pastoral vibe. The dry-down is not overtly floral, these elements just deepen the grassy notes.

odysseusm's avatar

Herbissimo Mejorana by Dana

Here’s another example of this amazing budget line (see also Juniper/Enebro). This starts with a very green, grassy, mossy-foresty chord, and pretty much stays there. But this chord is so attractive and smooth that I don’t mind. A bit of an earthy quality comes in from time to time. Simple and inexpensive, but incredible value since it smells so good!

Sugandaraja's avatar

Chypre de Coty by Coty

Not what I expected, to say the least! This, the classic chypre, the chypre that started it all, is rather plain, demure, and unassuming. If you're hunting this down for history's sake do not expect something dark, edgy, and complex, like Mitsouko. While well-made and not flawed, I find myself a little amazed that this is the fragrance that inspired the whole genre and thousands of perfumes along with it.

What does it smell like? Why, a chypre, of course - bergamot in the top notes, green-tinged florals in the heart, and a mellow, mossy base. Very light, fresh, and green. I'd be hard pressed to put my finger on what makes it any different from many fragrances just like it.

brainpower1972's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Bois du Portugal by Creed

When I first sniffed it, I thought this would be very similar to Heritage from Guerlain. But it turned out that Bois du Portugal belongs to the same fragrance category as Heritage (woody oriental), but really does have a different character. It is more masculine. In the beginning I smell some smoking woods and something that smells like incense. Later on, when some sweetness kicks in, it reminds me of Antaeus from Chanel, but a lot less overpowering.

Another wearing gave me strong visions of people in movies like The Godfather or the Sean Connery version of James Bond. Strong, well-dressed men, that have class but can also be dangerous. This is a classy scent, but at the same time it is really macho. Not the type of macho that fits my style, but Bois du Portugal is a good scent nonetheless.

gordonm's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I just purchased this yesterday, having failed miserably to pick up any reviews or information on it until I saw it yesterday. Unlike me, I usually know what's coming well before it hits the shops! I broadly agree with most of the views expressed above.
    My take on the boozy note is that it's reminiscent of American Rye Whiskey / bourbon as opposed to Scotch. If there is a peaty / smokey note in there, it is very subtle indeed. I drink malt whiskies and that's why I think this is more bourbon than Scotch.
    Back to the quick purchase...... I immediately loved the concept of putting the juice in an used oak barrel. It was love at first sniff. I have always thought A*Men was so groundbreaking and clever, but try as I did to wear it, I couldn't. I think of it as a feminine fragrance. With this new Pure Malt version, a lot of the wonderful chocolate-mint A*Men accord comes through, but the boozy and fresher top notes take the whole picture into the masculine fragrance arena for me. These notes stay with the fragrance through its various changes.
    In short, if you like or liked A*Men like me, but found it too sweet / feminine / sharp / sickly despite admiring it, then try this. I'm rather pleased I have a version of this fascinating fragrance I'm now comfortable with! An evening fragrance however, not for the office.

Sybarite's avatar

Baldessarini Strictly Private by Baldessarini

Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with "Andrewthecologneguy's" review above (or below) me here. ... He berates "Strictly Private" for not being masculine enough ??? Yet, then goes on to say that "Fleur du Male" is a "manlier" scent ??? ... "Fleur du Male" is possibly one of the most strongly floral and "feminine" of men's scents. And, in my opinion, is actually way more "femme" smelling than "Strictly Private". (And by a good many "degrees" more !) ... It seems the main reason he came to this conclusion, is presumably because of the strong vanilla and "creme brulee" notes of SP's base. ... Personally I see absolutely no reason why vanilla should be considered as distinctly "feminine" in nature. There are many men's scents with much stronger vanilla notes.
    And yes, this Woody-Oriental is yet another fragrance with a vanilla and amber base. But certainly not overly so ! ... I would agree, that it isn't perhaps the most strongly masculine of scents. But neither is it particularly "feminine" or "girly". Although it does perhaps lean towards being somewhat more "unisex" than most. Enough so, that I would not be at all surprised if quite a few women will want to steal this one for themselves.
    The scent opens with a blend of basil, bergamot, juniper and pink pepper. Which is at once somewhat fresh but also warmed by the subtle peppery notes. It's quite a captivating opening, which then gradually becomes deeper and richer. When the "heart" of the fragrance unfolds a blend of Fir Balsam, Vetiver, Patchouli and Rose. Though the rose here is subtle, remaining strictly in the background and never becoming too prominent. The patchouli too just lends the scent some warmth, depth and "earthiness". (Patchouli haters need not be weary, as it too is judiciously used, never overriding the other notes). In fact the blend is such than none of the notes are actually ever particularly apparent individually. The base accord is that of vanilla, amber and cedar. Developing a somewhat woody "creme brulee-ish" note towards it's "drydown", which I found to be warm, comforting and really quite delicious.
    All in all, I think it's one of Baldessarini's better scent. (Possibly even the best fragrance released by P&G in quite some time) And I'd say a pretty good and slightly above average scent for a "designer" release. ... Though it could do with having better longevity

andyman32's avatar

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

Trebor turns out to be right. The top & middle notes are pretty easy to characterize: oud. Oud and nothing else. The various Danh al Oudh offerings from Ajmal are indistinguishable from Oud Cuir d'Arabie. As it turns out, that's the proper scent for oud, and to date this is the most unadulterated oud in the Montale line - and I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable as I own a dozen from the Montale "Aoud" line and two others besides (Amber & Spices and Attar, both of which smell to me like they contain the same subtle and sultry oud topnote as the rest of the Montale Aoud line, which is why I love them), and I have tried another half-dozen Montale samples that I don't subsequently own. Yes, I have tried pretty much the entire Montale line.

The dry-down is indeed a smoky, dry leather, and a remarkably faithful leather at that, which I enjoy. The leather is louder and almost a caricature in Aoud Leather. Not nearly as subtle & natural, but it definitely gets the point across far better in Aoud Leather. This one is a subtler one, dry (almost arid) but full-bodied, with medium sillage and far more limited longevity. It almost makes me suspect the use of synthetics in Aoud Leather. This one is wonderful to enjoy yourself on a weekend, or on a romantic evening (with the right woman). And honestly, for niche fragrance aficionados, enormous sillage isn't always a good thing. Right guys? Sometimes an excellent fragrance is only really enjoyed more privately.

Try before you buy is a good one here, I would say it doesn't necessarily reach a broad audience, but for those who enjoy the leather fragrance niche, this is definitely among the best. For those who also enjoy oud, this may be THE best. Cheers!

da_markos's avatar

Poland Poland

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

nice, sweet, powdery scent. i like it. it's not "landmark" scent but it's decent and pleasant to wear.

Mapletop's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

No thanks. Smells like someone spilled a few avon perfumes and they got mixed together.

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

This is not an awful fragrance, and yes it certainly does resemble Eau Sauvage. But it lacks Eau Sauvage's beauty, subtlety and elegance. It is also far less citrusy than Eau Sauvage. As Sir Slarty notes, lavender seems to run the show here in place of the citrus, and unfortunately it gives the fragrance a bit of a loud, vinegary smell. The vinegar lasts for a good hour or more. The drydown is pretty good, like a stronger but "flatter" or less complex than Eau Sauvage's drydown. If you're unhappy with Eau Sauvage's weak sillage and poor longevity, Extreme is worth a try, but don't expect the refinement and elegance of Eau Sauvage.

Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with Ho Hang Club. My first exposure to it was smelling a really old, skunked bottle that had that sharp, biting smell characteristic of perfume gone bad, but it still had a wonderfully spicy patchouli smell to it. I thought that if a stale bottle smelled this good, a fresh bottle must smell amazing.

I recently bought a sealed bottle of this discontinued scent, and it doesn't smell amazing. It's kind of like a poor man's Bois du Portugal - it's definitely a formal scent that smells appropriate for a night on the town, but it lacks the richness, strength and complexity of BdP. I don't like the opening accord - a somewhat ascerbic lavender and coriander accord that is very heady and quite irritating. It just obliterates the patchouli. Fortunately, the middle accord and base accord are excellent; it's a slightly sweet and spicy patchouli-based accord that I enjoy very much. Only problem is that two hours into this fragrance, when the base notes start to emerge, Ho Hang Club dies on the vine, in terms of sillage and potency. It's like it almost disappears after T-minus 120 minutes, becoming a "skin" scent where you can only detect it if you ram your nose into the crook of your arm. If it weren't for HHC running out of gas so quickly, I would have given it a thumbs up.

For fans of the original Ho Hang, this is a very different scent, although there are similarities, mainly in the prominent use of patchouli in both. Ho Hang Club is heavier (well, for 120 minutes) and more formal than the original Ho Hang. I prefer the original Ho Hang.

Ho Hang Club is a decent fragrance that could have been great. If it were stronger and smelled more like that old stale bottle I smelled, I'd actually have liked it a lot more, believe it or not. Maybe I should throw my bottle in the microwave for 30 seconds and see what happens.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Why do people go ga-ga over this fragrance? I don't get it. Is it the nice gold-colored bottle? I'll confess that the bottle wooed me in my purchase of a 2.5 oz. bottle, my very first Creed purchase, 8 years ago. It smells like it doesn't know if it wants to be an acquatic or a fougere, like it's trying to be Green Irish Tweed, but with much less complexity and a loud, hammering rubbing alcohol/paint thinner note up top that never really goes away. It's not a terrible scent, but that acetone smell just flattens any other note that may be in the mix. It's like Cool Water on crack. I liked it when I first bought it years ago, but it was so loud and strident that I quickly got sick of wearing it and threw it in the trash.

Creed has many fragrances that are so much better than this. Stick with Green Irish Tweed, the real deal.

Original Santal by Creed

I thought I might like this "Original" Creed fragrance because I loved their Original Vetiver. This is just awful. It smells like synthetic sandalwood and Dentyne cinnamon gum.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

I wasn't too impressed with the rummy opening. Felt like I was at a bar counter which is not exactly my favorite place in the world. But I can see why others might be thrilled over such an association, particularly if they had been involved in some drunken stunts Jackass-styled or recalled sex(y) romps with some beautiful strangers they met at the bar. Then the realisation hit me and I couldn't help but chuckled. STRAIGHT TO HEAVEN is really a tongue-in-cheek attempt at capturing these fun alcohol-influenced madness. But it stays true to Kilian's cognac-maker heritage, the rum and woods combining magnificently to create a fragrance which is, according to this niche house, "redolent of the sugar in alcohol and the wood of cognac barrels."

Dude, this smells just heavenly. But is that a cognac barrel you're wearing? And who is this naked chick? Where the hell are my pants??

's avatar

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

Delices de Cartier is made for my skin! I've been told by many friends that my skin smells like cherries when I'm not wearing any fragrance. I use unscented bodywash so it's not that in fact I don't use any "scented" body products so I guess my natural scent is cherries which is nice to know. I know many find this to be too sweet but on me it is perfect but as with all perfume it comes down to skin chemistry. One persons heaven is anothers hell.

Jackisblack's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Smells like a margarita...thats good :D im not old enough to drink yet but I can respect that. I like this stuff. very tropical and playful. Longevity is not where it should be, but you know what? that's actually okay with me. Very boozy scent. This indeed reminds me of sipping on an exotic drink with that beautiful woman I have been waiting so long to experience that wonderful experience with. Can't beat it for the price.

23 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2009)

Jackisblack's avatar

Hollywood by Playboy

Just tried this 2day at the CVS. Wasn't too impressed. It kind of smells like a fail grapfruit/musk. Sillage and longevity are pretty good for the price, and while the smell isn't bad, the drydown is VERY synthetic, and its definitely not worth the time.

Celsius32's avatar

Israel Israel

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I've been searching to sample this one for ages, and my expectations were quite high. I was really close to blind-buying it until I finally found a store which carries the tester.
    I tried really hard to like it. I really did.
    The store's sales-person gave me a cup of coffee beans so I can "clear" my sense of smell between the sniffs - didn't help. She then made me walk outside the store so I can take a breath of fresh air - didn't help.

The top notes were quite nice, but after that all I could smell was a very peppery lemon/grapefruit combo.
    Longevity average (4-5 hours on oily skin).

To make it a more helpful review, I'll list 3 fragrances that I love and hate. Maybe this way you can compare my taste to your own:

Love: Fahrenheit, Rochas Man, Body Kouros.
    Hate: M7, Angel Men, Kouros.

fox3008's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Pros: Mysterious, Exotic
    Cons: Too Strong sometimes

Great for night - I felt sexier and more attractive whenever I have this on. The smell is definitely sensual with a playful touch to it. In terms of personality fit, I could imagine someone like Vanessa Hudgen or wearing it. Not exotic enough for people like Mila Kunis/Eva Mendes and too edgy for sweet, innocent-looking people like Jessica Alba. Not intended to be classy/conservative either.

A bit overwhelming is the only con I can think of - I always feel like suffocating myself a bit whenever I first put it on. I'm not a big fan of perfume that reaches people even across the street from me, let alone those across the table, so I'm very conservative in putting it on. However, isn't it great when people turn their head and compliment your fragrance? I'm still working finding the right balance :)

fox3008's avatar

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

I'm Asian, petite, easy-going, romantic and not too feminine and I found this perfume fits me really well (I just realize this sounds like a post on Harmony.com). Anyway my boyfriend gave me this fragrance as a gift because the woman at Sephora recommended this to him. Not too romantic on his side but very practical!

I agree with many people that this fragrance is definitely not a wedding one. I usually wear it as a fall fragrance for hanging out with my friend during the day. I guess it does fade out fast, or just because I get used to the fragrance. Anyway, I have received compliments from my friends, many of whom are Asian about this fragrance, which kinda makes me wonder whether this is a better match for Asian in general.

Ligeia's avatar

Tabu by Dana

TABU is one of those Fragrances that is NOT for Everybody...that being said, I LOVE TABU!
    It's nature is DARK, POWERFUL...NOT Subtle in the least. It's more of a Autumn/Winter Fragrance than that of the warmer/hotter months...Heat INTENSIFIES Fragrance. I must admit, though...I wear it almost all the time, sometimes even layering in the evenings. I like categorizing Fragrances into Seasons...some you can wear whenever, others are nicer in the warmer months, and the stronger ones are for those brisk and chilly Seasons - the 'dress-up', elegant seasons.

It is Sultry, Exotic, Intoxicating, Hypnotic, Bewitching ...the kind of Fragrance Mata Hari would or some, mysterious veiled Dark-Haired Beauty of Days Gone by...not exactly shy or demure.

It is classifed as an 'ORIENTAL' Type. It has Oriental floral with citrus and spicy notes. Warm Oriental base includes Amber, Resins, Civet and Precious Woods – Sandalwood and Patchouli

If you have allergies to strong Fragrances..ESPECIALLY the Dark, Resiny ones, then TABU is NOT for you...find the Lighter, more synthetic fragrances of Today.

I ALWAYS get compliments when wearing TABU and the sensual Sillage it leaves. You have to realize that EVERYONE has UNIQUE Chemistry and that is the KEY to 'bonding' with the right Fragrance.

Those who don't like TABU - should definitely stay away from it but to those who do...
    You KNOW what I'm talking about. It's seems to be one of those Fragrances that Women
    either LOVE or HATE.

Ah, the Sensuality of TABU!!!!

12amag's avatar

Romania Romania

Oblique FFWD by Givenchy

it's such a beautiful scent, ... reminds me of watermelon ...
    i bought a small bottle 3 years ago, and then i could not find it anywhere to buy more ... :(

sydney's avatar

Papaya by Demeter Fragrance Library

I got this perfume free, I think because Demeters website was glitching, and oh my goodness it is heavenly! Smells like a Papaya Sorbet, I catch one smell of it and my mouth waters. Its a very clean, fruity scent, kinda like if you were eating a papaya and it dripped down your wrists and dried there. I like to layer it with Demeters Rain, I think both scents complement each other so perfectly.

LiveJazz's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

There was recently a thread about how some fragrances smell different up close (when your nose is on your wrist versus a waft from the chest). I think Jicky is exhibit number one of this phenomenon.

On first application, it smells like a relatively normal sweet, powdery citrus/lavender. Out of nowhere, the civet springs out of hiding and takes hold of the accord. This particular civet has a bit of a sense of humor:

If you smell it up close, it is quite fecal to me. However, if you fan it toward your face or let it waft toward you, it is very polite and compliments the accord. Strange. So...just don't smell it up close and you should be fine!

As the scent progresses, the opening citrus and the civet take a back seat and I start to get more tonka. After about two hours the base is fully developed into an absolutely sexy accord with just the right amount of animalic qualities, with the civet hard to identify as a single note. It plays a supporting role with the vanilla at center stage, giving the vanilla that three dimensional, slightly spicy, spiky rawness that is so rare. Jicky's overall nature is sweet, but not thickly sweet. That classic Guerlainade dusty tonka and vanillin combo is prodded by the civet and never sags. Jicky is not cloying in the least.

Overall, definite thumbs up. The top might raise some eyebrows, but the base is worth it.

23 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

This is a highly synthetic, screechy, jarring concoction that seldom fails to hit my sinuses with a fistful of ice picks. The lack of depth contributes to the sharpness that it scrapes my nerves with. It almost triggers a gag reflex.I've been wanting to like it for years, making all sorts of overtures from time to time, but we just don't click. I think in this case there's just TOO MUCH CHEMISTRY. More is less sort of thing...

23 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2013)

fakepurseninja's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Dirty English is a smoky, leathery, spicy oriental that is balanced perfectly between sweetness and spices. It avoids the candy shop sweetness so many of its peers seem to aim at and instead delivers a somewhat classicistic, minimalistic manly scent profile - it faintly reminds me of Fahrenheit, if you remove the industrial gasoline-like notes of that 80s fragrance. Those looking for a replacement for the discontinued Javari might want to give this a try, but beware - this is more butch than that The Body Shop product.

I'm surprised noone seems to have noticed/mentioned how close this is to the Axe Instinct after shave. And I don't mean the quality as the Axe is way more peppery and dry-soapy and somewhat cheaper smelling in comparison. It's just me instantly thinking "Hm, this is quite unique but I smelled it before..." Yep, Axe Instinct.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

GROUP. Oriental-Woody. GENDER. Unisex. CREATIVITY. Yes, it is a distinctive scent, created for women but can perfectly balance all those female notes in order to catch male fans too. DAYorNIGHT? Night, if you are a man, Winter Days and Night if you are a woman. LONGEVITY. Good. COMMENTS. Very very spicy and resinous opening with an exotic combination of oriental notes (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, white pepper) mellows into a softer, warmer blend of florals (rose), incense, woods (cedar, sandalwood) and patchouli. The powdery base is more sweet and less spicy . A Mysterious, sensual, and sexy fragrance indeed.

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Red Aoud by Montale

Different in character than the other Montale Aouds in that it's a hefty gourmand, and not the usual rose centered fragrance. It's a real spicebomb, reminding me of a thick honeycake type of dessert combined with a sweaty spicy, cuminy meat, couscous and chickpea dish, but with a powerful vanilla base It's a vertiable blizzard of spices, which is it's greatest asset as well as it's main flaw. As compelling as it is, it's too much of a mess for me. In particular, I find the aoud clashes with the other notes, especially when it's most prominent in the first hour or so (this one will last for weeks if you don't wash). In this sense it doesn't seem to be particularly well thought out, though it's a great idea. I think Mr. Montale should have held off on releasing this one so soon, and gone back to it after a break to fine tune it.