Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

amatuer_nose's avatar

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

I own colognes from Cartier to Hermes to Chanel. But for some reason that I cannot figure out, more girls tell me I smell good when I'm wearing this than when I'm wearing any other scent. I personally enjoy other fragrances much more, but the bottom line is this: females love this scent. Period.

weegee's avatar

Partage by Fabergé

Several weeks ago I posted a long, well-considered & thoughtful review of this truly sublime fragrance, replete with memories from the early 1980's... the review was "locked" and invisible for so long that I finally emailed the admins to ask how long it usually takes for a review to be posted. No response. And now I find my review has simply vanished into the thin air of cyberspace. Alas, I didn't keep a copy or I'd repost.

Suffice to say this fragrance is a unisex masterpiece originally marketed for women and now often found on-line for waaaaay too much money unless you're lucky enough to find someone mistakenly selling it as a discontinued men's fragrance, in which case you might still get it without having to lose either an arm or a leg or ransom one's firstborn child.

Partage is a chypre marvel or perhaps a bitter green oriental - I can't say for certain because I'm blinded by love for it, there's no information on-line about it anywhere and Faberge's memory vaults are apparently impregnable. There's cedar in there somewhere and it lingers on and on. I sense some violet, too, but not the powdery kind, rather the fresh-cut green sharp kind that "taste like purple" - violet fans will know what I mean. There's no leather here but if there were Partage might be considered a cousin of Jolie Madame, another of my lifetime favorites.

I've kept Partage a secret from my "smelly friends" until I'd collected enough to last the balance of my lifetime, so now that I've got a stash of pure perfume, edt spray and edt splash to decant into purse-size spray minis, I will invite you to search it out on-line before it disappears entirely. Partage is a sublime masterpiece.

24 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 November, 2009)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

Opoponax. Vanilla. Benzoin. Amber. Sandalwood. What could've easily been a syrupy and cloyingly sweet fragrance is given a dry resinuous finish to produce one of the smoothest blends I've had the pleasure to smell. I'm nobody's fool but a woman could easily put me under a spell with IMPERIAL OPOPONAX. No extensive list of exotic ingredients, no marketing gimmicks, no pretenses. Just beauty in simplicity, perfection in execution. Are you paying attention, Mr. John Varvatos?

Jack Hunter's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

A sublime scent that really does smell like a unlit tobacco pipe or sweet tobacco in a tobacconist.

The vanilla and tobacco walk hand in hand and never overpower each other. The longevity and sillage are great I get about 16 hours out of this frag.

This is though a cold weather scent and is cloying in the hot weather and be wary of hot enclosed spaces. A great comfort scent.

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Realm by Realm Fragrances

Wearing Realm always made me happier, more confident, when it first came out. It was a nice spicy, uplifting scent.

But I recently bought a very weak version of the cologne at Marshall's for $9.99 and wonder if it's been reformulated, or if I bought a knock-off.

The old bottle was amber all over. The new bottle is clear with red edging. The old Realm was rich and warm with juniper and ginger predominating, drying down to a very sexy scent. The new one comes on strong with a blast of alcohol that turns to a very watery version of the original. Doesn't last long at all.

I loved the original. If this new version is a reformulation (and not a knock-off), I can't recommend it and won't be repurchasing.

24 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 December, 2009)

Bora Bora for Men by Liz Claiborne

bora bora is a boring spicy woodsy scent like everything else except less appealing and the notes do not quite mix

i smell it "needing" something and i would have to mix this with something to make it good

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

the best of the new cool water varieties IMO its a very fresh fruity scent and has good sillage and longevity

as for the scent its very fresh and clean and the melon notes are PERFECT in this one its a cool water that smells diffrent from all the others and its very sexy

24 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2009)

Unforgivable Black by Sean John

unforgivable with a few notes added to give it some depth but nothing original

Vertical by Victoria's Secret

it has the nice sexy warm citrus feel of very sexy but more amber and warmth comin from this one its definately a sexier version but nothing to get if u already own very sexy

Jackisblack's avatar

Armani Attitude Extreme by Giorgio Armani

Just smelled this on my friend last night, and i gotta say I liked it. Im eager to get myself a sample and maybe a bottle. I can already tell I like this one better than Diamonds and Code.

smellofvictory's avatar

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

don't like it, not really masculine at all, to me...too fruity, reminds me of Candie's for men but slightly worse...neutral because it's not terrible, it's just not something I'd want to wear.

Mambo for Women by Liz Claiborne

The first time I tried this, I was 14 and filching a spray of perfume from one of my friend's medicine cabinets after a sleepover because I had forgotten to bring any. It's a spicy, earthy scent that reminds me of a sweaty Latina -- in a good way. I've smelt this scent on other women, and on some it's simply awful, with the fragrance being completely off-putting and synthetic. However, on the right person, it comes out sexy and seems almost as if the person is emitting the scent themselves, instead of wearing a perfume... like it combines with their persona.
    I don't wear it anymore because I find it to be too forward, but if I ever find myself going to southern Mexico in the summertime, I suspect I'll be picking up a bottle!

Prada (new) by Prada

This is my signature fragrance, first discovered when I was blindly testing fragrances when I was 18, in Dillard's. It stood out to me by not being another one of the sickly sweet, overpowering fragrances the girls I worked with in the mall always wore; the vanilla stands out to me, reminding me of my mother, a pastry chef, baking in our kitchen when I was younger, and is anchored from being sickly by the rose (or so I believe), turning into something feminine rather than childish.
    I don't have the typical aborrence of patchouli; I don't like it in pure incense form, but for some reason it comes out as a lightly floral on my skin, which I haven't been told is bothersome. I imagine that the labdanum, which I'm finding that I rather enjoy, helps steer the patchouli away from being atrocious.
    The citrus is lost on me; I've never particularly noticed it in the bottle or on my skin, but that's my nose, not the perfume, I suspect.
    The staying power is long lasting, and according to my boyfriend, the scent is very strong when first sprayed on. But, smelling my wrist right now, it's a sweet, clean, mellow fragrance that I will always adore.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

I agree that this is an ordinary sort of fragrance. This was another one that was given to me as a tester at its debut, when I worked in a mall, and all the girls tried it. On most, it came out as a nice, though slightly synthetic fragrance, and on me it was tolerably floral but faded quickly. On all, however, it was well-blended, which I admire.
    One girl, however, started working with me a few weeks later, and I was surprised to hear that her lovely fragrance was none other than RL's Romance. It was soft, and feminine, alluring without being especially sexy. A ladlylike perfume, that wafted off of her, and I envied her ability to make it turn out so nicely.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

This is an absolutely fantastic scent when on my boyfriend... his skin transforms it into a well-blended, citrusy musk that is not too synthetic, but not so "real" that it comes off "dirty", if that makes sense. When he wears it, I can barely keep my nose away from his chest... I plan to buy it for him whenever he runs out; I want him to always wear it!

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Testers of Flowerbomb were dropped off for all the female sales associates in the clothing store where I used to work when the fragrance first came out, and for a week my nostrils were bombarded with all sorts of interpretations of it. On some girls, it was so disgustingly, synthetically sweet I wanted to vomit; on others, the sweetness stayed but it wasn't so overpowering, and was just an unmistakably sugary, though wellcrafted, scent. On none of them did I detect the patchouli, which I had hoped for.
    A few weeks after that, I used my own tester, and it came out very strong at first and disappeared rather quickly, but there was a brief interlude where the scent made me want to bounce up and down with a big grin from ear to ear -- like an elated pop princess. All in all, for a sugar addict like myself, it's worth a cautious try.

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I have only smelled this out of a tester and on my own skin, not a man's, but my experience of it was not a good one. It is very chemical to my nose, and I didn't enjoy it at all, I couldn't even pick apart any particular scent -- but I can see it transforming into something good on the right man's skin, and thus am giving this one a neutral vote.

Rock 'n Rose by Valentino

The rose in this one is what dominates my nostrils -- as soon as I spray it on, it overwhelms me, making me think I'll never want to try a rose-scented perfume again... then, a few minutes later, it's lovely -- not too "garden-y", but nice and lovely and young. And then, it disappears completely.
    Unfortunately, the rose is all that this perfume really offers to me. If it had more personality, and if that middle tone lasted longer, I would buy this perfume and wear it regularly.
    It is a safe scent, and I find it nice when other girls wear it.

Warm Vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works

My mother wears this at times in lieu of Victoria Secret's Vanilla, and I prefer this one on her. The Fresh Vanilla by BBW betrays what I believe vanilla should really be about, and Warm Vanilla Sugar is better, in my opinion.
    Real vanilla extract is very sweet, but it doesn't seem "high-voiced" -- it's a deeper smell that becomes sickly sweet once combined with sugar in cake batter.
    Warm Vanilla Sugar has enough of a musky base (almost like a rich brown sugar instead of vanilla!), that it keeps its fragrance from becoming another one of those offensive, synthetic, highpitched vanilla scents that I've come to despise... whenever I smell it, anywhere, it reminds me happily of my warm, cozy mother, baking in the kitchen. I love it!

Sweet Pea by Bath and Body Works

A very sweet, one-trick pony. It's not sugar-sweet, but rather flower-sweet, and while it isn't particularly offensive to the nose, there's nothing special about it. I imagine that the musk anchors it just enough from turning into something unpleasant; the freesia, rhubarb, and raspberry are lost in it, which might be a good thing.
    It doesn't have much of a personality and doesn't match most people, but on one of my friends -- an optimistic but quiet girl -- it's somehow just right.

Moonlight Path by Bath and Body Works

I have never enjoyed smelling this on anyone, and have such a distaste for it that I haven't tried it on my own skin.
    The scent is mixed well and very distinctive, but something about it permeates my nose and makes me gag. I've found that many girls overdo it with this scent, but it may be my personal opinion... the first time I smelled this on someone, the girl had used the shower gel, and then the body butter, and then the EDP, and it gave her a good 6-foot radius of absolute olfactory attack. Other girls were complimenting her, when I just wanted her to get away from me!
    I don't believe that the scents that compose this fragrance are a good mix. Lavender and mandarin... and then ylang on top of that? Each in its own is a lovely scent, but when combined, I just hate it.

Japanese Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

This fragrance (and its lotion) has been awarded as one of the best cheap scents out there by Allure's Beauty Awards, so I went to try it. I slathered on some of the body butter and took a spritz of the EDT (not the EDP), and the fragrance is remarkably well-blended... I didn't find it distinctive enough to warrant a purchase, but the ever-so-slight cherry, and very light sandalwood, was nice enough. There was no particular "musk" or "exotic" factor to it, off of my skin. I think the case is that it disappeared to my nose, and will be trying it again soon, based on the over reviews here -- perhaps a second chance around will win me over.

Black Raspberry and Vanilla by Bath and Body Works

Incredibly sweet and rather sugary... It lacks a woodsy scent to anchor it, when I wear it. The scent itself is pleasant enough on the shelf, but I can't see it translating into something worth investing in as a regular fixture in a fragrance wardrobe. I've had teenage boys compliment it, saying I smelled very good, but personally I found it to be too juvenile to be worn anytime other than on a girl's night in.

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

This is a simple, basically one-note fragrance, but I love it. I don't wear it when I have my Prada, but when I'm going through a financial pinch, Sensual Amber is always what I turn to.
    It smells rich, and is definitely best when combined with the matching lotion. I receive many compliments, and the scent doesn't disappear to my own nose. It's creamy but distinctive, and I get nothing floral out of it.
    The EDP is longlasting in comparison to the price, while the EDT spray needs an occasional boost throughout the day. The lotion's scent clings close to the skin and is a perfect base for the EDP to turn into something sexy, and alluring, without being raunchy. I've had boyfriends and their parents alike compliment me when I wear this fragrance.

Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works

I would love to smell this on a guy; I imagine it would be lovely. On a girl, however, I find the lime to be too harsh, despite the delicious, powdery coconut that accompanies it. For me personally, I find the coconut to be absolutely fantastic and imagine that a spicy scent combined with it would be orgasmic, but the astringent, too-true-to-an-actual-lime smell makes this scent something I will never buy.

Rock 'n Rose Couture by Valentino

A sexier version of Rock 'n Rose, and much more dominating. The rose scent still prevails to my nose, however this one seems muskier to me, more dusky. Like Rock 'n Rose, however, it dies quickly on me, and leaves nothing distinguishable behind.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

This is a soapy and uncharming scent on my skin. In the bottle, it promises to be something young and fresh, but once I spray it on it displeases me. I've tried it on in department stores on numerous occasions, hoping that it will turn out well, but it remains synthetic, with a decided lack distinguishable notes, and I always end up scrubbing it off my skin. I haven't had the chance to smell it on anyone else; perhaps it does turn out better for others.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

GROUP. Citrus – Woody. GENDER. Unisex CREATIVITY. Absolutely nothing special. DAYorNIGHT? Strictly a daywear scent. LONGEVITY. Average. COMMENTS. Top note citrus, mid note citrus, base note citrus. So linear, so monotonous. You have the feeling that this nice fresh citrus opening will never leave your skin. Very few spices (coriander, pepper ) and some herbs try to take this a step further but its not enough. A soft woody note just comes too late. Good though as a car air freshener or a linen spray.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Pepper / Jasmine / Gaiac Wood / Passion Fruit by Korres

GROUP. Oriental -Spicy. GENDER. Unisex CREATIVITY. It’s modern, different and part of the first decent attempt for a ‘’made in Greece’’ fragrance. Congradulations. DAYorNIGHT? All day long. LONGEVITY. Not bad but could be better COMMENTS. Notes of bergamot, orange peel ,vanilla and spices create an interesting yet sharp opening. Progressively citrus notes faint to a sweeter heart where woods (cedar,sandalwood and gaiac) dominate over florals (jasmine) making it warmer and comforting. Creamy base blends soft pepper notes, woods and tobacco (and why not white chocolate as part of a sweet and creamy accord but don’t be afraid there is nowhere a ‘’green hop’’ note –by the way what a green hop smells like?) . It is my first choice from KORRES trio (no1 in sales among the three as retailers tell me) and I am sure you will love it and you ‘ll get a lot of compliments from people around you.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

It is all about the dry down. A gingerous concocction that turns you and your skin into glowing greeness, with gold flakes. Some conplain that it does not last, it does, it's just subtle, which is a bit different from the standard Annick Goutal in your faceness. Spray heavily if you want to smell it constantly. If not, then let others enjoy your air, even if you can't smell it. Good stuff.