Fragrance Reviews from September 2009

Opera IV by Roberto Capucci

Interesting aromatic, lightly fruity, herbal rose fragrance and dries down into a very light mossy woods. I find this similar to Z Zegna or Casran by Chopard. Light and refreshing but doesn't seem to last long on my skin.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Harissa by Comme des Garçons

Light peppers and woods. I'm not a fan of this because it lacks depth, longevity and everything else that makes me like a fragrance.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Truly faked incense. It's good. I don't get the incense connection as the other reviews seem to talk about. And I have nothing more to add.

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Amber and leather dominate this and they are quite potent. The opening is bitter and a touch peppery, light herbal pepper like finely crushed tarragon or another leafy spice that's peppery. And, hey, rose! Argh I don't like rose... but the rose is calm here and sometimes mingles with the peppery accord. Very nice. Just too much strength for me. But... just let this drydown for you and see how it goes. Seems like everyone gets something a little different.

I'm torn. I like this yet I will never ever find a use for owning a bottle but I'd recommend it for others. Namely those that like the strong stuff from years past but needs something that is more... modern? I like the quality. I like the texture. It's on the animalic side yet feels "fresher" (maybe "not as loud"?) than something other leather and amber scents that just turn on me. On a guy? It's masculine. On a gal? It's feminine. On the weird person in the corner muttering to himself? It's unisex.

I will give one very positive, very subjective comment: it's darned sexy and it depends on who wears it.

Isolinde's avatar

Natori by Avon

This is probably an odd place to start reviewing fragrances, but this is the first fragrance of note that I actually owned. When I was a teenager, my adopted mother sold Avon, and bought all of their new perfumes without fail. She didn't much like this one, so by default, it came to me.

I wore it on my first date, to prom, and on my weddingday, and have always been pleased with it. I doubt I'd love it as much as I do if it didn't have those lovely connotations in my mind, but it does, so basically, Natori is my first love among perfumes.

I realize now that it's a bit over-sweet for my taste, and pretty shallow as far as scents go, but interestingly enough, it has quite a few of the notes that I'm finding I love in other fragrances. (orris, sandalwood, benzoin, and to a lesser extent, rose)

I suppose it was just a teenaged version of what I grew into.

funnyboy's avatar

Molinard Homme II by Molinard

Not very long lasting ,althiugh pleasant and sweet.I detct a hint of orange blossom.
    To me it's a weaker version of Joop the original for men.
    Dont think this is one of the best fragrances from Molinard.
    I prefer Ambre and Habanita

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Aromatic Lime by Montale

I quite like the sparkly opening, a different take on citrus. Citrus that's light on citric, it has more of an apple or pear feel to it than lime. Nice light woody feel to it throughout. Though I enjoy Aromatic Lime it's a little weak in the sillage department and it's price guarantees a non-purchase. Lasts most of the day but too close to my skin for anyone else to know I'm wearing it.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Cologne Cédrat by Nicolaï

This cedrat doesn't distinguish itself too much from common lemons. Less tart and softer than most lemon fragrances it's certainly more to my liking. But with such a short life, and the only a faint trace of pepper and bergamot to add character this is not something I'd ever consider buying. Although Cedrat is nice enough 'Bois de Cedrat' renders this fragrance obsolete.

JonB's avatar

Ambargris by Madini

I can't add too much; it's exactly how it's been described in the other reviews: Sweet, smoky amber with a touch of dried fruit. Very, very nice, and a bargain to boot.

SmellyNinja's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Though there are subtle differences, when you boil it down it's basically a smoother, lighter version of A*Men with a slightly boozy note. It stays close to the skin and I find it's longevity fleeting. Simply put; if you like A*Men, you'll probably like this. If you don't, you won't.

theduchess48124's avatar

Roseberry by Les Parfums de Rosine

A big pink frosting rose on a raspberry liqueor cake sprinkled with sugared violets.

JHL by Aramis

As much as I enjoy the heart and base, the opening is about as much fun as watching a loved one being autopsied. The introduction is astringent, potently aldehydic, and the resulting shift to an accord reminiscent of tanning fluid, barely improves matters at all.

Remarkably, the subsequent experiences with JHL are diametrically opposed to the opening. A series of finely balance accords, spiced, sweet and dry lead into a delightful base, blending patchouli with sandalwood and amber. Rarely has a fragrance caused me to shift my opinion so conclusively in one wearing. I can almost give this a thumbs up, which considering where I was at the outset, is some achievement.

Jicky by Guerlain

EDT Review: I have little objection to the heart and base notes of Jicky, but the introduction was less than auspicious. Far from being an intoxicating citrus opening, it produced an accord similar to butane. This phase may only last a short time, but it is distinctly repellent, and tainted my experience significantly. One look at the base notes had me salivating, but sadly they lack the requisite potency to be taken seriously. I can understand why some find Jicky so beguiling, but I tired quickly of its vagueness, and its misdirection.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

One can imagine a tap being hammered into the base of a nobleman’s spine, and the resulting extraction being imbued with the spirit of Mouchoir de Monsieur. It demonstrates a haughtiness and breeding that eludes the current nouveau riche designers. It would not be amiss for the bottle to be draped in ermine and be placed upon a pedestal, unreachable from the milling proletariat shopper trying to grasp a symbol of gravitas and success. Floral and dry, distant yet respectful, it ticks every box one can imagine.

JessicaGrace's avatar

L'Eau by Diptyque

I haven't been drawn to spice fragrances in the past -- actually received this sample by accident -- but with the weather getting colder now, the idea of something warm and cozy does sound more appealing. Although clove is definitely dominant in the opening of L'Eau, I didn't find it overpowering or unpleasant. It's actually a rather subdued scent on me, without a lot of silage. My main complaint is that the clove note dies down without revealing anything dramatic or interesting underneath. Florals may be adding a tinge of sweetness, but the drydown mostly reminds me of some clove-dominated cologne my dad used to wear -- probably Old Spice. Meh.

PorkFat's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I get wet pavement big time with this. The pavement that's been sitting out in the sun, baking and collecting the dirt, grime, dust and soil of the weeks since the last rain. Then dump some incense and syrup in the mix.

Something in the opening of Chergui kills my sense of smell. Shortly after taking a whiff of this I can't smell it again until several minutes later.

The dry-down is a generic-smelling vanillic gourmand. Not unpleasant but certainly nothing worthy of all the praise. It seems this fragrance has acquired the me-too bandwagon syndrome where one well-respected reviewer has created a following regardless of the quality of said fragrance.

Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale does the hay thing much better.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

A very citrusy, clean and inoffensive scent! Last longer than the original Bulgari PH and more citrus in the smell. Can be worn almost everywhere and in any environment.

Only let down of this fragrance is it just snugs closely in my skin and just lasts 6 hours in my skin.

GF loves it though and co-workers adore it on me whenever they sniff this on me so i give it a thumbs up!!!

Encre Noire by Lalique

It's my first take on vetiver-based scents and boy was i pleased! Starts of with a very woody/smoky smell (my co-workers smells it like incense) and ends up dry and and a tad dirty. This isn't your typical clean vetiver frag. :)

For me this is best worn on lonely night when you just want to relax and enjoy your moment alone.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

I haven't tried the origina L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme so i cannot compare the two. Upon spraying I get spicy/citrusy smell that is good in jump-starting a very boring day. Monster longevity and silliage, this fragrance will accompany you from 8 to 8 :D

This frag has been in my weekly rotation for more than a month now. Definitely a compliment-getter.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

This one has a wonderful Art-Deco shaped bottle reminiscent of a glitzy New York skyscraper, which is accentuated by the beautiful violet colour of the scent. The fragrance itself is highly distinctive although in my opinion it also smells slightly dated. When first applied, I detect an initial off-putting sulphurous note which eventually becomes infused with the sharpness of lavender before finally drying down to a very soapy musky smell. In fact, this is probably the most ‘soapy’ smelling male scent I can think of other than Cacharel Pour Homme. The scent is always masculine smelling, but also smells very synthetic from beginning to end and is not what I would call a refined smell by any means, but is also not unpleasant. However, like many 1980s fragrances, this one is a sillage monster that is likely to be nauseous and offensive if over applied. It could pass as a slightly controversial choice for office wear, but would make a very acceptable all-season casual or going-out fragrance for a more mature person of say 25-plus. Sung Homme can be found at bargain-basement prices too. Given its slight datedness and lack of refinement, I have given it a neutral rating.

truth657's avatar

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

This fragrance is modern!! vey nice last long and blended very well last a long time

chamelion's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

a sickly sweet pungent smell like estee lauder products not my style

when i smelled it it was a sweet strong mess of notes that completely clashed and did not have anything remotely appealing to them but perhaps its just my skin chemistry

chamelion's avatar

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

don't know if the title would make me want to buy but its a nice scent it has a nice woodsy edge and definately hasnt smelled dated by the time

i would definately reccomend this it is amazing for it's price range and has a really nice smell almost like gucci

25 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2009)

nitecobra's avatar

Emporio Armani Remix He by Giorgio Armani

Not many people wear this fragrance, which makes it very unique. I think this could be one of my all time "most complimented" cologne, and I don't typically like Armani fragrances. What a unique idea to use a liquorish as the heart note, very attractive!

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Does anyone else not get pure cedar out of this?

25 September, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2009)

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

I've smelled better, and I've smelled worse. For the price, I think you can find better things out their, but this is definitely not bad. Strong opening which dies down to a citrusy/floral breath of fresh air, not too shabby.

Stetson Black by Stetson

While it's not bad, it didn't really leave me with a GREAT impression. For the price, its a good smell. Minimal lasting power. If you're looking for a slightly better "black" cologne for not much more cash, go for Corvette black.

Corvette by Corvette

I believe this is Corvette black which I had the pleasure of trying today. Very nice and typical black smell, but for a fraction of the price. Decent lasting power, and considering im testing in the heat, thats impressive. Ill likely pick up a bottle for the price.

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

I had been looking forward to trying this one out, so when i saw a tester at Kohls, I damn near knocked over this old lady to get to it haha. Anyways, I got there and the sprayer was broken. Zzzzzzz. anyways, i managed to squeeze a bit of the juice on to my hands, and i LOVED what i smelled. very good, but a little different than what i expected, but that's what I like. I want to get a REAL sample though, but I liked what I smelled.

UR for Men by Usher

I actually really liked this one. I hated the original, but I feel like they did the right job here that they shouldve done in the original. Id give it a thumbs up if it had ANY lasting power, so this is just average for me.