Latest Perfume Reviews

Anniversary by Perfumer's Guild

A beautiful masculine aromatic spicy fragrance with notes of bergamot, cardamom, coriander, cumin & woods.

Perfect for wearing in hot sunny weather during the day.

Good Longevity for a cologne.

Bubblegum Chic by Heeley

A heavy, sticky and gooey tuberose with lists of artificial waxiness combines with a sticky and heavy jasmine with a slightly minty undertone initially - yes, this is chewing-gum at its most mundane. Hints of a thick white musk with moments of a candy-like syrupy undertone develop later in the base, but the tuberose-jasmin prevails throughout.

The sillage is moderate, the projection excellence and the longevity ten hours - the last three or four closer to my skin.

A fun, trashy and fake concept that works well as such for a bit of a plasticine spring frolick - as a fragrance it is too synthetically linear to deserve a positive score. 2.5/5.

Siam Proun by Olympic Orchids

What a Joyful Spring Garden perfume!
Naturally sweet fruits, Fizzy and citric, like Lik-M-Aid together with an ambery, vaguely boozy fuzziness provide a background canvas for a spray of Culinary herbs and something savoury, scallion-like, perhaps Garlic chive. This is the essence of a backyard garden and orchard.
Something Camphour envelopes it all to corral back into the World of Perfume. This is the sniff of the skin.

Projection provides an aura rich, soothing, slightly medicinal and altogether Magical.

This was packaged in a Black and Gold Lipstick spritzer, Chanel-like in it's elegance.

Covey suggested that she had created this gem for her Mother.

What a delightful gift!

Boy Chanel by Chanel

This is an easy thumbs up for me, a hit, especially for a 2016 release in a struggling market. It makes me think of a more masculine version of Chanel No. 19. The base has a typical Chanel light sweetness. It's appropriate for office wear.

Adam Levine for Men by Adam Levine

Tested from a sample. Very citrusy and fruity. Hard to discern the individual notes, but I thought I got tangerine at first. Fruitiness is about all I got before reading the ingredients, which is a shame as I'd have liked to smell the listed violet, sage and ginger. Once I read ginger was there, I got it, but I guess that's a cheat. It kind of reminds me of the sort of generic, fruity shower gel you sometimes get in hotels and it also fades almost as quickly. Within less than an hour it was a skin scent and in three hours, completely gone.
I certainly don't sense the body-odour thing that others have mentioned. Not for me, but if you want a light, quickly fading, fruity scent it might be worth a try. Or you could just buy a fruity shower gel....
May 2016

L'Hommage à L'Homme by Lalique

Many of my fragrance purchases are blind buys. I do my due diligence as far as looking for notes of the scent and reviews. This being one of those blind buys, I am extremely pleased with this scent. It is made with great quality. This is more of a muted oud scent so don't expect YSL's M7 Oud Absolut. As far as notes I do smell saffron and I get the muted oud. Not sure what wood notes are here. I would say this is more of a date night or formal wear type scent. For the price you can't go wrong. Enjoy!

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

Another average scent for men. This is safe for the office or casual wear. Spring / Summer scent for sure. Average longevity with limited projection. I get some mint and pepper with a muted dry down of wood notes. Prices are good at least so if you like to layer or looking for something light for hot days this may work for you.

On El by J del Pozo

I find this scent to be unique. I haven't smelled every scent so I am sure this is similar to others on the market but with my experience it is unique. That being said I do like it. The scent tree is large. It is well constructed, not over powering and I find it to be a great date night scent. It is on the sweet side with some woods and herbs. longevity and projection are above average for myself. Prices for this scent are getting higher so make sure you like it before you buy. Enjoy!

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is an extremely green / herbal scent from Issey Miyake. I find it to be an amazing fragrance. My nose picks up Rosemary and Lime from the start. The middle is a mix of Juniper, Ginger and Lavender with a bit of pepper. The dry down I get woods and Patchouli. For the price and quality I would qualify this as a strong buy. That being said I find this to be a "for me scent". I don't believe it works for the office or casual. Date night maybe... Spring / Summer wear yes... Enjoy!

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

BLUF: A warm, dry, herbal, spicy, incredibly unique masculine offering from Creed. Bordering on hyper-masculine, but not in a brash, hairy-chested manner. It's more of a refined sense of capable and confident masculinity.

The opening blast of dry resinous juniper berry is accompanied by a restrained light sweetness and simple but remarkably natural-smelling spicy cinnamon leaf that almost has a smokiness to it. I didn't experience a "syrupy" sweetness, as a previous reviewer did, but a sweetness is there throughout. The whole scent carries a smooth, warm dryness and has a bit of a fougère leaning. I also agree that there is a bit of a fuzzy barbershop facet, but it's far from a full-blown barbershop. The base of earthy, dirty, crunchy vetiver compliments the scent and becomes more present as it develops.

It's a very simple structure, but immensely enjoyable. Although discontinued and typically expensive, I was able to pick up a barely-used full presentation specimen in an eBay auction for ~$130, but would probably have paid more. I recommend keeping an eye out for this gem, which I consider to be one of the best of the Creed line.

I suppose it's dated in the sense that some of the best masculine fragrances were conceived decades ago and in line with the lamentation that "they don't make 'em like they used to". And it's a shame they don't, because this is just plain excellent.

Club de Nuit Intense for Men by Armaf

Considering I am not a fan of "clones" or "knock off's" I took a chance on Armaf CDNIM due to the numerous positive threads online for this scent. Compared to Creed's Aventus that I have it's not on the same level but it isn't that far behind. The first 2 spray's of CDNIM were full of fresh zesty lemon. I hit the sprayer 2 more times and got lots of apple. It's not bad just the first noticeable difference between Aventus and CDNIM. The middle is similar to my nose. The dry down shows Creed has more muscle. CDNIM last 5 to 6 hours on me with 4 sprays. A couple of hits of Aventus take me to 10 hours plus mark. I gave this a thumbs up due to the fact that this scent isn't off putting at all. The draw back is in the projection and longevity. On a positive note the price comparison CDNIM wins hands down. Got mine on Ebay for 27 dollars with free shipping. Worth a buy if you can't afford Aventus or just to extend the life of the Aventus you may own. Enjoy!

Honeysuckle / Chèvrefeuille by Jean des Salines

Orange blossom & musk are the prominent notes in this fragrance ideal for day time wear in warm weather.

Good Longevity for an Eau de Cologne!

Lavender / Lavande by Jean des Salines

Soapy Lavender for warm weather with average longevity.

Himalaya by Scriabin in the Himalayas

Sometimes a perfumer’s interpretation of a brief is so spot-on that the intention is rendered unambiguous, yet it can also be tricky to keep a perfume’s name / imagery from shaping associations. The name Himalaya combined with the mountain image on the bottle spins this scent into bucolic territories. But even without the packaging clues it would succeed in communicating its message.

Tricky to summarize, this scent suspends clear, airy incense notes over soft, botanical musk. My guess is that it’s chilled olibanum and moss elevated by a deft use of aldehydes. Woods are present, boosted by green-leaning spice notes, and there’s a hint of a white floral in which indole is bolstered by overripe castoreum. An hour or so in, it becomes a resin-driven amber that's ventilated with clove. Every aspect of the scent is understated, working more in gestalt to recreate the kind of environmental smell you might find on a hike. Its presence is striking given that it’s not particularly dominant, and it reads more agrarian than clerical. Although there are contemporary strands present, it has a retro mustachioed feel as well. Not wildly original, but impeccably constructed and wholly enjoyable.

Chypre Mousse (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

The opening is very unusual: a blend of green-like with a herbal, mainly sage undertone. This is blended with an oakmoss-like note. I say green-like and oakmoss-like, for it has a distinct synthetic streak, and smells unlike natural version of these notes. This all is combined with an overall, quite pleasant minty tone - and you get how unusual and interesting the opening phase is.

The drydown adds a good lashing of fern, and soon a mix of wet forest soil, rotting fungi and a rather generic vetiver - the latter providing a touch if freshness. This vetiver has no convincing earthiness attached to it, or if it has, it is drowned out by the rest.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This is quite an original idea, a laboratory impression of walking on wet soil outdoors in virtual reality; good for autumn days. The penetrant synthetic undertone that I get on my skin misses the mark, and the whole result is a rather pale image of what potentially might have been.

Imagine O'Driu would have taken on this idea....

2.75/5

Melkmeisje by Baruti

Something tickles my nose, then my throat - sneezy!

It reminds me of the worst of spring in NC - allergies! ARGHHHH!!!

There is something that litteraly catches in the back of my throat - SPICY! HURTS! This hurts!!! I don't want my scents to be painful to my nose and throat! LOL!

I must go scrub this - it and I are so not getting along.

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient by Guerlain

Blast of Frankincense. Opens as Maharanih Intense.
Stop.
The Nicolai expands, billows with clouds of Civet, Rose, Spices and Patchouli.
MI is a big Mushroom cloud of Femininity.
The Guerlain sits like a pebble on the skin.
I was expecting something to compare to the gargantuan of the Songe.
Give your hard earned to Nicolai.
At least you will get a real perfume.

Les Echappées - Lalibela by Memo

A truly captivating perfume with blended notes to perfection giving an overall feeling of luxury & mystery.

Floriental with a rich vanilla dry down; perfectly unisex for casual or formalwear; day or night.

Do not be put off by other reviews; try it for yourself.

Excellent Projection & Longevity.

Oviatt Show all reviews

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

This is not my favorite type of fragrance by a long shot--new age aquatics are a dime a dozen and if I do wear water-inspired scents I tend to like them to be oceanic v. aquatic. That said, this is a really nice and easy to wear fragrance that is exactly as described: subtle. The starter is a slightly fruity opening that drifts into a main course of watery freshness. An herbal side dish adds some vegetal bitterness to offset the sweetness of the fruit which nicely sets up the desert course of cedar and musk. So many others have dished this up but Subtil just simply does this better than most of the other fragrances of this genre and Ferragamo, which has drifted a bit over the years, was still focusing on delivering a high class product when this came out in 2003. I first got it as a gift at a charity event held at Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills--after the store closed, there was a private party on the men's floor (cash registers were open and a portion went to charity). Lots of Martinis. Lots of shopping. Everyone went home with a gift bag containing a gift set of Subtil EdT, Shower Gel, etc. I don't think I ever would have bought it on my own but wore it and--spurred on by my wife--bought another bottle when it was gone. That is saying something.

True Religion for Men by True Religion

A great leathery peppery scent perfect for Fall/Winter days and nights. It does last 6 to 7 hours on me. For the price and quality this is a buy if you are looking very a solid leather scent. Plus the presentation is cool. Enjoy!

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Nice offering from Vera Wang. IMHO this is for the 30 and over crowd looking for a nice scent to wear to the office or on nights out with friends or that special someone. I like the initial blast of Green mandarin and Yuzu. It doesn't last very long to my nose but it is nice and the dry down is above average on the verge of being great if it was just a bit stronger. A solid scent for the price. Enjoy!

Musk Marine by Avon

Consider Avon Musk Marine, widely available for well less than $10 for a large bottle. Don't be put off by the name or blue color; there is no colone in the formula from what I can tell. Just clean white musk with the smallest touch of mint/ginger/citrus. Synthetic to be sure, but what white musk isn't? The saving grace is that there is no attempt to push the synthetics beyond their limit, thus avoiding harsh chemical distortion. The result is nearer to Acca Kappa's minimalist Muschio Bianco (available at ~ 20 x the price) than what you might expect. Improbable, but I call 'em as I see 'em. Toss a bottle in your gym bag.

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

This is a mere footnote to add a remark exclusively about the vintage aftershave spray.

Vintage Patou Pour Homme EDT is a masterpiece and I love it to distraction. But, let's face it, it is not exactly going to come off as brighter than a bag of buttons and merrier than a gallery of grigs. As even its many fans here acknowledge, it is very rich and can appear overstuffed -- a symptom that perhaps is amplified by its now extended bottle age.

The PPH aftershave is a déglacé version that should not be disregarded (as I admittedly do with all other aftershaves without exception). I use the aftershave as I would an EDT and like the way it wears. It can be more versatile and, interestingly, can offer a different and sometimes clearer perspective on what makes this great formula tick. The note separation seems greater and the mysore has a bit more breathing space. In terms of projection and staying power, it doesn't need to break a sweat to compete with your better quality modern EDTs. Since, unlike the EDT, it is not as rare as a rhinoceros horn at an Asian bazaar, one can apply liberally. In fact, price and availability are remarkably good, considering. Mignon for the minions.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's no secret the house of L'Artisan has gone through some big changes in recent years. What that has meant to the formula of T42 is anybody's guess but recent reviews obviously don't bode well in this regard. SoS.

I date my bottle to 2010. To me, most all tea scents are high-pitched and come off too fem for my taste [I'm a BelAmi, Equipage, Polo, Yatagan, Azzaro, etc., kind of guy]. T42's smoke / rubber / leather / tobac character makes all the difference, crowding out the lemon / honey / ginger in a satisfying manner that tempers its high pitch.

All in all, a 5/5, yet I consider it a novelty scent. Make sense? Perhaps not to some... but a solid collection has its good ole stalwarts ('bricks') as well as those contributing variety ('mortar'). Today it's my SotD, first wear in 16 months. No matter. Except for searing heat, I like it year round.

One direction my nose goes with this that I don't see often, if at all: Tribute Attar; I find the ashy tobac of Tribute to be very dense and pungent by comparison but an overlap with T42 just the same. I'll often pair 'em up for a wear. Go figure.

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I still find this scent to be spectacular. Well constructed and balanced. This juice has good longevity and projection. Spring and summer wear. This was my first Yuzu scent and it does not disappoint. Now that prices have come down considerably I would strongly suggest buying a bottle. I have noticed that there has been a slight reformulation in my current bottle but it is still amazing. Enjoy!

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

I, being a fan of the Hugo line of fragrances, find this scent to be less than stellar. It is nice for spring / summer wear and would work in a casual or office setting. That being said I find it to be a rather bland scent. It is fresh and clean so that is a positive for the heat of the summer. It stays close to the skin on me after a couple of hours and does last 8 hours even in summer. I do not smell any of the cocoa in the base and it does turn powdery to my nose. For the price its an OK buy but don't go out of your way to purchase.

Annees Folles by La Parfumerie Moderne

The opening starts with a fairly traditional lavender, combined with a herbal undertone, mainly thyme and a slightly spicy nutmeg impression; at times I get a nigh earthy undertone, which is a harbinger of the vetiver that gradually develops.

In the later drydown the vetiver develops further, a medium bright, slightly earthy vetiver that never develops to full strength on my skin; it remains more of and overarching roof than a core note. Then a slightly sweetish tonka note develops that at times has more of a vanilla character towards the end. This tonka dominates the second stage and is a very smooth and rounded version, intense but never intrusive or cloying. A good lashing of benzoin ands a resinous undertone that is on the bright side; there is nothing heavy in this mixture. Towards the end hints of a light contemporary powderiness provide additional nuances.

I get moderate sillage, fairly adequate projection and a good ten hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a pleasant scent, which has an air of the traditional, the well-trodden path. On the other hand the quality of the ingredients is high, with the impression of the use of natural goodness; this is not purely a laboratory creature; and apart from that, the blending is very well done. Overall, well-made. 3.25/5.

English Lavender by Yardley

I wear English Lavender by Yardley in spring/summer mornings for my first dog walk.

The fragrance has the necessary calming properties to wake you up gradually & peacefully.

I mostly detect lavender & tonka notes while wearing it; I adore the relaxing effect it has on me...I also have a solid perfume stick of the fragrance to cool down at work on hot summer days.

Short longevity but well worth the experience...thanks Yardley!

Bayolea by Penhaligon's

I have been using a shaving kit by Bayolea for a few weeks. It consists of face wash, shaving cream & aftershave balm. The shaving razor is retro looking & very sharp.

I have also used a sample of the fragrance that came with the kit.

The result is a grooming dream to look forward to in the mornings; the Barbershop Quality of the products is excellent.

The fragrance is a Fougere affair made of dry lemony & lavender notes with moderate longevity; the feel is very old school and certainly suited for the 40+ gentleman who grew up with discipline & awareness.

Very nice indeed & a must recommendation for fougere lovers. Best for day time wearing in spring/summer.

Leather Oud by Floris

I am actually reviewing Almas Leather Oud which is crafted in Thailand by a producer of Organic Thai Oud Chips and Oils.
The perfume is lightly and florally fruited in the way of many of in this area. The Leather is of a smooth suede with a sweet blossom canvas. Unisex, but leans Feminine.
Very pleasant and free of Synthetic brashness.

Almas Oud Oils have a Fruity Whiskey opening, little Barnyard and a smooth uncomplicated drydown. Aging will probably develop the flavours as the Almas Oil progresses.